main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Chained Prometheus, Apr 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    What is going on now?

I found this thread on the second page. Buck up, lads.

:D

2. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    When an uncomfortable topic rears its ugly head once more, most people tend to back away a tad until things settle down. ;)

Moving swiftly along, I read an article yesterday where Natalie Portman lamented how SW nearly ruined her career. I'm very confident this won't happen to Daisy; she's in good hands. On-set leaks suggest that she has done a fantastic job, but I always felt she would. JJ and co. picked her for a reason.

Despite some terrific shots in the trailer of the X-wings skimming over the water and the Falcon looping over Seems-Likely-to-be-Tattooine, I'm most looking forward to the character drama in this movie. I just think the chemistry between the main cast is going to be impressive, most impressive. I have a very good feeling about this... :)

3. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    I don't get the "nearly ruined her career". She didn't have much of a career before SW. Her roles quadrupled afterwards. So did Ewan's. I didn't know who the hell Joel Edgerton was until after AOTC. Although, I doubt the roles he got post SW was a result of his 5 minutes of screen time in the prequels.

4. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Based on the reaction of having a Black stormtrooper, if Finn and Rey hookup in this trilogy will be just as much controversy over their being a mixed racial romance in Star Wars?

5. Royale w/ Codeine

Royale w/ Codeine Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2014
    Best to nip this in the bud. This topic, even if the conversation is handled with civility, always seems to get derailed by those who aren't. Like I say to my son after he breaks something "this is why we can't have nice things".

So... best to cease & desist this topic before a mod needs to.

6. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Indeed this is a Daisy Ridley thread right it's all about her Finn has his own thread

7. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I saw that headline about Portman - I thought it was just some random writer putting down his own thoughts. I didn't read it so I didn't know it was Portman herself.

Sounds like attention seeking - again - wasn't she previously "lamenting" that she couldn't be in Episode VII because Padme was dead.

A bit hypocritical, isn't it? ;)

8. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013

I think the more appropriate comparison here is Hayden Christensen.

9. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Christensen is doing just fine - he isn't as high profile as Portman but she is no A-lister herself. And she has appeared in nothing of interest in years.

Hamill is the one who couldn't escape Star Wars' gravity - he should have emerged an A-lister too but it never happen. Yes, he is loved and respected in the career he had - but he deserved bigger... I'm criticising the career he did have - after all Hamill himself laughs at that Knock Knock joke...

10. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

The problem with Hammil was that he had natural comedic ability. He probably could have been a good comedic actor. But, after Luke Skywalker he was kind of viewed as a sort of leading man. Something he had limited ability with.

11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Let's get back on the topic of Daisy and/or her character.

12. soul8luos

soul8luos Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2013
    Captain B likes this.
  13. Captain B

Captain B Jedi Master star 3

Oct 8, 2014
    That's a very thoughtful analysis.

ChildOfWinds and soul8luos like this.
  14. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    Since I am one of those who believes Rey is going to be a Solo, I've been mulling over Rey's situation and how she could have ended up living on the desert planet. This is what I've come up with:

Rey is born with strong force abilities. But unlike Luke and Leia in the OT, she is aware of her powers from the beginning. She is aware of her heritage, that Darth Vader is her grandfather, even if Leia is keeping that little detail a secret from the general public.

But Luke disappeared when Rey was a baby -- maybe he even vanished before she was born. If Leia never trained to become a Jedi herself (a scenario I believe is very likely) there would be nobody to train Rey in the ways of the force. Nobody to guide her in how to use her force abilities. Moreover, I think it is very likely that Leia would never have come to terms with being Vader's daughter. Leia did not witness Vader's redemption, but she did witness -- and feel on a very personal level -- some of Vader's many atrocities. So in this scenario, and with Luke missing, Leia would be adamantly opposed to her daughter making any effort to use her force powers or learn the ways of the Jedi.

It also makes sense that Leia would want her daughter to follow in her footsteps and become some kind of politician or queen. Maybe Rey, as Leia's daughter, was supposed to inherit some title like the "queen of her people" position that Leia was rumored to have gotten in early versions of ROTJ. Either way, Leia has chosen a career path for Rey (much like Owen did for Luke) but it's a career path that Rey doesn't want.

Of course Han was never crazy about all that hokey force nonsense, so he would back up his wife on this. Though I suspect he would be more sympathetic to Rey's position.

So Rey wants to be a Jedi -- but she can't be. That path is forbidden to her. Rey wants to know all about her Uncle Luke, the great Jedi -- but he is missing. Possibly Luke, or at least Luke's career as a Jedi, is a sore subject in the Solo household. Rey wants to know about Anakin/Vader, about her heritage as the niece and granddaughter of two of the most powerful Jedi in history, but Leia refuses to even discuss those subjects at all.

So Rey is unhappy. She rebels and goes away to the desert planet to live on her own. If the desert planet is Tatooine, it makes even more sense Rey wants to live there, since there is so much Skywalker family history on Tatooine. Rey wants to be closer to that part of her heritage, she wants to learn about Luke and Anakin and Shmi. What better way than to go live in the same place where they all lived?

Again in this scenario, Han is more sympathetic so he goes to the desert planet to check up on Rey, maybe he even helps her out money-wise by hiring her to do some jobs. Maybe Rey has always been closer to her dad. Note this scenario can work regardless of whether Han and Leia are still together, or separated.

Now, maybe this is all nothing more than glorified fan fiction, but I think it explains very well how a Rey Solo would be living away from her parents on some remote desert planet -- and her story would also strongly mirror Luke's situation at the start of ANH. It explains how Rey can be a Solo and also the "Luke" of the new trilogy. And a skilled screenwriter like Kasdan could convey the important parts of this backstory in a few lines of dialogue.

15. Seeher

Seeher Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2003
    Okay, I might be able to buy it. You take on Leia is kind of mirror mine, I find it hard she would openly want any children being a Jedi after being tortured twice by dear old dad.

Also a nice parallel between her character and the supposed bad guy as he hunt for Sith artifacts trying to be a Sith without really knowing how and her own search to be Jedi.

16. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    As long as mum & daughter get on
    Is this roleplaying? Leia was worried about the darkside legacy carrying on to her children which is what happened with Jacen.

17. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Do we know why Reya is on Tatooine in the first place? Could it be that Luke is actually training her on Tatooine out of the limelight of the galaxy and a place where the Empire has no presence? I imagine there is no real Jedi temple yet and those seven Jedi which Luke has trained are in different parts of the galaxy training their own apprentices in random places. There could be a whopping 15 Jedi throughout the galaxy.

18. Chained Prometheus

Chained Prometheus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2013

Unlikely; from the sound of things (last I heard), no one has seen Luke in at least over a decade. The film's supposed to be a search for Luke, right?

19. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

There is no evidence that this true - it is a rumour just like all the others.

20. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    It's been the most consistent rumor aside from Rey living on the Desert Planet and Finn being a defecting Stormtrooper. Neither of those were confirmed until the teaser, but even before it dropped we kept hearing both.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  21. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Being a consistent rumour doesn't make it anymore true, it just means it has been consistent ;)

Likewise, the teaser does not confirm those other two items, it merely confirms that Rey is on the desert planet at some point and that Finn will be wearing a stormtrooper outfit- the trading card reveals he is on the run, but not from who or why - it is more likely than not, that he is a stormtrooper, but it is far from confirmed. Just like we don't know whether Poe is an Alliance officer or whether he merely flies an X-Wing at some point, like Luke in ANH. ;)

22. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    I agree, what if Leia has foreseen this with her Jedi abilities and tries to prevent her from going down that path. If Leia saw this, just as Luke saw his sister and friends on Cloud City, she would prevent Rey from doing anything Jedi, to include, not allowing her to see Uncle Luke.

What if Adam Driver's character is indeed a Solo, he has gone down a dark path, maybe Leia and Han know this, and forbid Rey from following in her older brother's path that he has chosen for himself.

Yanksfan and Leias_Left_Bun like this.
  23. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    The idea that Han and Leia would try to prevent their daughter doing anything dangerous or risky seems a bit hypocritical of them.

24. LionHeartV1

LionHeartV1 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 27, 2014
    Parents are hypocrites in general.

Seeher likes this.
  25. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Amen to that! I love being a dad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.