main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Xbox and PlayStation Online Hacked?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by LAJ_FETT , Dec 26, 2014.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Not good news if you're itching to play new games or consoles that you got as Christmas gifts. BBC News is reporting there have been problems with both online services since yesterday.

2. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I've been trying to get onto the Playstation Store on my iPad and not been able to get through. Hating all the people on Twitter demanding compensation and free games from Sony and Microsoft. Bloody vultures...

3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Eh, it was either Lizard themed hackers or North Koreans. Again. Take your pick.

4. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Yesterday I was contemplating watching the Interview on Xbox Video but decided to rewatch Guardians of the Galaxy instead. Xbox Video wouldn't let me sign in, so I couldn't access my streaming library. Alas, the setbacks of a streaming movie library arise to punch me in the face.

Today, Cortana on my phone just popped up this story and I was like, "Oh! That explains it!"

Stupid hackers, adding to our first world problems.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    DDoS, not a hack.

kubricklynch and Penguinator like this.
  6. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Xbox Live is back up to core services, but the frequency with which this seems to happen to Sony is staggering.

7. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    This is the first successful attack on Xbox live yes?

8. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    No, the same dorks took it out back in August.

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    News is saying the Xbox service is back but Sony is still working on Playstation.

10. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Well I could access the Playstation store so that's a promising sign at least.

11. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Everything's back.

12. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Everything's been back on Xbox Live by the morning of the 26th, I believe. I had no problem using Xbox Live from then on.

13. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    IIRC this has happened more than a few times. There was also another DDOS attack to XBL late last month. Still, the ****tards are starting to become more than a bit annoying.

14. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Well, alternatively, Lizard Squad adequately demonstrated the folly of having an always-online console, in addition to causing large swathes of the media and the developed world to completely overreact and declare "Christmas ruined."

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'd agree if I thought LS actually had altruistic motives, but I strongly suspect the reality is that they target XBL, PSN, Steam, etc. because they're high profile targets with respect to the Internet audience, good for notoriety and proving that you can pull something off, which is the main motive behind the vast majority of DDoS (And hacking, actually) attempts.

That said, man was that situation the perfect counterargument for always online DRM of any sort.

Penguinator likes this.
  16. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Oh, so people who got new games on Christmas day weren't able to play them, even offline? The X1 requires disc games to be installed on the hard drive, but I'm not sure if this procedure requires Internet.

17. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    How much Internet access does the XB1 still require? It used to always require a 24-hour check-in, but that was stupid, so I think they discontinued it. And sadly, most of the time these attacks are just groups causing trouble- though they claim they're doing it for some purpose, but mostly its just to cause trouble.

PSN and XBL are frequent targets, its just higher profile now due to the holidays. Wait, so with no XBL, an XB1 or games won't activate? Ouch, guess that's why all those kids with Christmas presents appeared on the news so often.

18. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I had no problem playing games that were already installed on X1.

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The online check-in on the Bone is disabled by the first system update, which you have to be connected to XBL to get. Out of the box it's still on the system, so if you can't connect to XBL when you get it, you're stuck until you can.

20. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Refresh my memory, what was the point of the online check in?

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Bizarre DRM and maybe some usage data, I guess. IIRC it was never really elaborated on.

22. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    For sure LS's justification is ex post facto, but it's still weirdly apt. I have no idea how badly it affected Xbone customers but I know I could at least play a game or two on my PS4.

23. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    The hack didn't affect my ability to play Xbox 1 games. It prevented me from viewing my streaming movie library from the Xbox Video store (and probably any other apps that require Xbox Live). I was still able to access the aforementioned movie library from my Windows Phone Xbox Video app however (probably would have been able to access it on my PC too).

24. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Ezio, dude, I swear that last post of yours sounded like so much MS product placement. More so than I'd find in your average Arrow episode. You might want to cut down on that. :p

25. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    My Windows Phone was one of the last made by Nokia in Finland and not by MS in a Chinese sweatshop, if that helps ;)