main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Darth Maul spin-off?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by DANNASUK, Aug 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I'd be in favor. Though strictly as a background story to Episode I. I can live with him living in The Clone Wars, but having him revived again in a feature film would just be confusing.

2. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    There should absolutely be a Maul only spinoff. Preferably a series of spinoffs. One of the stories they should adapt is the very first Maul solo story, the 4 part comic mini series where he takes on Black Sun single candidly and dismantles the entire organization from the ground up.

In fact the question is not whether there should be a Maul spinoff, question is when. IMO it should be as soon as possible because Ray Park is not getting any younger, and there is no one else I want in the paint other than the english Wushu Master himself as long as Park is still able to do stunts.

Furthermore no one else should wield the double bladed saber in any movie aside from Maul, at least not for a long long time. That makes the TPM and the Maul character unique. I was glad that Lucasarts agree with that to some extent, because the robot legged Maul mockery never touched a double bladed saber in the Clone Wars cartoon. That's one less sacred cow butchered, thank the Almighty.

Marco1907 likes this.
  3. greggalan254

greggalan254 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 1, 2014
    There should be a Maul spin off which should end with Maul falling at Kenobi's hands on Tatooine.

General... Prepare your troops for a surface attack!

Redimet and SkywalkerOG like this.
  4. Pax Sithus

Pax Sithus Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2014
    I would so be into a Maul movie. Such a wasted character.

Sitara, Lando Griffin and Erkan12 like this.
  5. Lando Griffin

Lando Griffin Jedi Youngling

Dec 13, 2014
    @Pax Sithus holy do i agree!!

Pax Sithus likes this.
  6. Chuckskyline

Chuckskyline Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 16, 2013
    I would love to see Maul in the Obi-Wan Spin off.

Redimet and Marco1907 like this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

This his potential was just starting in the clone wars to see him be the main villain or have his own movie would be fantastic because Rebels is not the place for him.

Lando Griffin likes this.
  8. One-Eyed Gran

One-Eyed Gran Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 13, 2014
    Like others have said, I think a pre-Episode I Darth Maul movie could have the potential to be pretty great; not to mention that it would be an opportunity to somewhat redeem the Prequel era or at least show it in another light.

I can very much imagine a plot oriented around political intrigue (done tactfully this time) and assassinations on Maul's part; perhaps to the effect of tarnishing Chancellor Valorum's reputation and public standing.

I can also imagine an apprentice Maul traveling to a ruined Sith planet to collect his lightsaber crystals.

I think a movie like this would work as a fairly short, one-and-done narrative that adds dimension and context to Maul's character without weaving too deeply into the larger plot of the PT. Minimal Sidious, minimal Jedi, and lots of the grimy criminal underbelly, somewhat like the classic Star Wars: Bounty Hunter game for the PS2.

9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    YEEES, a pre-prequel, just what we need right now. o_O

cwustudent likes this.
  10. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    Too many problems to give Darth Maul his own movie. However a lighter supporting role in a Darth Sidious standalone would work pretty well.

Pre-TPM Darth Maul doesn't sound interesting and post-TPM Darth Maul is a ridiculous cartoon story (than should stay in the cartoon world, forever). I think they missed the boat with him. Would have liked to seen him continue into what instead became Dooku's role.

He probably would have handled the Geonosis arena and other conversations a little differently than Dooku did too.

11. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    It would absolutely have to take place before TPM. Bringing him back in the Clone Wars was just plain stupid because he was cut in half, and fell down a seemingly bottomless pit. Even if his top half could have survived he still would have broken his neck or been mangled when he hit the bottom which was so far down we couldn't see it. I understand that the Clone Wars is "canon", but you simply can't have must-watch story elements in the cartoons that fit in with the live action films and expect everyone to watch the cartoons to get the full story. The cartoons should not effect the live action films, therefore, Maul can come alive, die again and spin a hula hoop for all I care in the cartoons, but it shouldn't effect the live action films. What about the people who don't watch cartoons and then see Maul alive again? Yes, it could be re-explained, but why? Imagine the backlash. Why not come up with a better idea than resurrecting a character that was so obviously dead in the films.

Wouldn't it be better to have a film with Maul in his prime anyway? I'd still really like to see a Maul backstory.

12. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Adding Maul to a live action movie would require a prologue, but I think fans would accept the fate Lucas had planned for him.

13. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Well, if they go for pre episode I Maul, I would understand.

14. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    If there was a Maul pre episode 1 film, what exactly would he do? The Jedi didn't even know the Sith had returned during the events of episode 1. Never mind before episode 1. What would he do before episode 1? Just run around and kill people? Keep Maul in the comics or cartoons. This guy doesn't belong in a stand alone movie.

cwustudent likes this.
  15. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    "At last we will reveal ourselves to the jedi at last we shall have revenge..............except for what happened in my spin off":p

16. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Well, it could be Darth Maul vs. Black Sun (or with other Crime syndicates) but I didn't like the idea of a Pre-Phantom Menace Spin-off for Maul, if it is possible then it should be post-Son of Dathomir...

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Then they can make another movie called the Pre Prequel Sequel.

Redimet and Darth_Pevra like this.
  18. captainkenbo

captainkenbo Jedi Padawan star 2

Dec 21, 2014
    I wouldn't be surprised if they did a spin off focusing on Maul but tbh I would prefer if they didn't... I don't really like Maul his character bores me and reviving him didnt really make much sense.... Lol Sorry not sorry.. :\

19. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    A maul movie is probably in the same camp as a Boba Fett movie- the fans would love it but the execs aren't rushing to make it

20. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    If a script gave him the depth we saw in the CW series and the comics, I think a movie about him would work, no matter what era they decided to cover. They just need to determine who he'll be going after, because he appeared to lose interest in Kenobi after killing Satine.

21. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
  22. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Would Maul even speak in the movie after he hardly said anything in TPM yet in CW he never shut up:p

23. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013

Redimet likes this.
  24. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Maul vs Fett: Rise of Mandalore

25. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    Depends on the era, but that could be cool, we know another Mandalore arc was planned...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.