main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Bounty Hunter Heist Spin-off

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Summers1913, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Like I have stated before, things like that work in novels and such. But making a big budget movie based on characters just shooting each other or smuggling/bounty hunting, I don't think that will be worth the time and money to make a film on. Will people go and see it? Yeah. But that would really be more of a niche audience than have appeal to a general movie going audience. The regular audience for SW movies, the ones that just go see the films want to see the force, Jedi and Sith. That is one of the driving factors behind why the regular audience goes to see them. Bounty hunters and smugglers take a back seat to Jedi and the like. A hardcore SW fan could probably sit through a Han Solo stand alone and enjoy it.

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    OK then, I bet you $50 that if Brian Daley's Han Solo books get filmed, they'll be bigger hits with general audiences than the PT. And they'll get better critical acclaim too.

3. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    First off they won't ever do film adaptations of books. Lucasfilms is still making the films. They now have the story group that has to make sure all canon stays in order. But any film can do well. That is not my point. I bring up that what kind of story is there to tell? It seems they are going for a younger han solo. That means before ANH. What do we know of him at this point? He is a smuggler. So all we would see is how he becomes a smuggler? How he wins the MF? All stuff we know that happened. It just becomes a question of seeing how it happens. We know where Han Solo ends up by episode 4. So where is the surprise in this? And Lucasfilm already de-canonized the EU which these books fall under. Why de-canonize something to only use that same material for a film? I mean they have superhero movies that have failed miserably. And they have much more well known characters than Han Solo. Like the first Hulk movie. Dardevil. Wolverine stand alone. I mean those characters I just listed are way more known and popular than Han Solo and they have been in movies that have not faired so well. And any of these spinoff SW movies will not even come close to what the PT brought in. Not even close.

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    So it's a bet?

5. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    Let's do it this way. Let's find out more about the films and what exactly is going on with them and then discuss them when we know more about them? And seriously, a bet? If I was to entertain this notion, it would be a long while before we could resolve the bet because we would have to wait till all is said and done and then compare earnings and what not. Let's just wait for more info first, more concrete info instead of just going on about speculations. That is all we have right now is pure speculations. At least from me. Unless there have been more news that I am unaware of for this.

6. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Cad Bane is to cool to die.

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  7. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    So? The 'general audience' you allude to already get their sequels, so please let me have my niche fix. And by taking a slightly different spin with the spin-offs, The Mouse might start to draw different viewer groups into the SW franchise, which need not necessarily result in financial losses. - Not that I believe they would do it ... personally I'm afraid they will try to play it safe and make each and every spin-off a lightsaber fest, no matter who or what it is about.

By the way, if people would start discussions only once they had detailed information on the movie in question, this forum would be pretty dead right now.

Sarge likes this.
  8. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    On one hand I agree, but I'm wondering if the spin offs will be used to expand the films outside the themes of the trilogies?

I know theres no guarantee with any film, but if they do a film like this and it flops then what would that mean for the future of the spin offs, which is why I think the spin offs initiially will try to focus on familiar characters.

But I like the idea of a movie about bounty hunters and the Death Star plans, or even a movie about how they got the plans, it doesn't necessarily have to include bounty hunters. I was thinking that it could include someone like Vader hunting them, but then I wondered if thats too similar to the Darth Maul standalone novel (which I enjoyed).

Thinking about it even further though, another thing to consider with the spin offs is that if they pick an event we've seen in any of the trilogies, like obtaining the Death Star plans for instance, we already know the outcome as the plans were successfully stolen. So there is no excitement in us wondering what the outcome will be, we already know the ending. Its akin to the pod race in TPM, theres no excitement in the end result as we know how it will end before we see the race.

9. Andy Wylde

Jun 26, 2014
    Well I don't have any problems with spin offs. But I do wonder what kind of story will be told in regards to them. Bounty hunters to me is just lame. That is how I feel about it. Like I said a 2 hour movie of bounty hunting? In space? The DS plans should be stolen by rebels at least. If bounty hunters do it, it kinds of undersells the rebel alliance doesn't it? A Han Solo movie only has so much to tell. He was a smuggler when we meet him in episode 4. And had no connection to the rebels whatsoever. So it seems like they are going the young Han Solo route. That means we will just see him do minor things because they can't take it up to episode 4 or even close to it. Because he is a younger version.

Lucasfilms seems to be sticking to their plans and not deviating from the new established canon that is in place. Since they are using a younger Han Solo. That means the time periods won't be messed with. So with OT characters you really have between episode 3 and episode 4. I highly, highly doubt they will make films in between the sagas. I could be wrong, but I feel strongly that they won't. Especially with Han Solo. How could they explain a young Solo if they make a film between episodes 4 and 5? That is just an example.

Boba Fett? I know his name is brought up a lot. I personally don't care for him that much. He is alright, but the EU went and ****** him up by ****ing him out to death! So for me, I could live without a film of this guy. But I wouldn't be against it if they did make a film about him. Then again comes the question of what could a story for him be? In canon he is a bounty hunter. In the EU he is a bounty hunter, mercenary, mechanic, weapons expert. detective, able to fight with a lightsaber. leader and so on. Is there anything this guy can't do? So if they go the EU route it will be 2 hours of Macguyver in space!

For what it's worth, I would go see a spin off. But all I know is LFL will have to pull a great story out of their *** to pull this off. Remember it is just a STAND ALONE film and has to work as one film. The SW movies work great because of the elements it brings to the table. Like Jedi, Sith, the force, star ships, factions, vehicles etc. If you start to take some of these elements out is risky for a SW film. Look at Han Solo. If it is a film about his younger self, the force or Jedi or Sith won't be present. So without the force or its users, that is a big loss for a SW film.

10. SomeoneSomewhere

SomeoneSomewhere Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 24, 2014
    I'm curious as to how this might go. Is this a Solo origin story, or is this a Heist Film guest starring young Solo?

11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Gamma626 likes this.
  12. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Not only that, but it seriously links the whole concept of "Rebels" as a tv series, and the canon of the series. This makes perfect sense. More background on inquisitors and the rebellion, with chances for tons of loved characters to cameo, and taking the animated characters and making them legit. It makes Rebels an even hotter property for Disney too.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  13. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
  14. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    So basically "Guardians of the Galaxy Far, Far Away"? No thanks.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    So is this going to feature all of Han/Boba/Bounty Hunters?

whostheBossk likes this.