main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I know what they were going for, but I still can't help but think "Wow, these guys are the most pathetic adventurers ever."

Vthuil likes this.
  2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

They don´t have a Druid so no, there is allways that group with a Druid that is more pathetic. :p

3. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
  4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Interesting what they're doing with Varys. Hmmm.

And Lugija -- I owe you a blog reading session it seems. IT SHALL COMMENCE TODAY. Apologies I'm behind. :(

5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Stuff that. BOOK SIX NOW.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You won't be saying that when the druid busts out Creeping Doom on your ass. There's no saving throw!

MercenaryAce likes this.
  7. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Once we are talking about that power level any group worth its salt will have gotten wording spells and if you serve a god worth serving you get “Summon Fire Elemental” and whoosh goes up your Druid, his stupid forest shrine as well as his “medicinal herbs” :p

8. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    So I popped out to see A Most Violent Year tonight. Good, if a little drab, and an on-point allegory about the dark side of the laissez-faire American dream, if a little heavy-handed.

But a very minor spoiler, and the Star Wars relevant thing:

Thought it was funny that there's a shot of Oscar Isaac getting a guy on the ground and saying "Who hired you?" pretty much just like Anakin Sandhater in Attack of the Sand.

Also, weird that Oscar Isaac and Domnhall Gleeson are in a movie together which maybe sort of stole the name Ex Machina...

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like AOTC, but calling it Attack of the Sand is ****ing hilarious.

Kylun and Praenomen Cognomen like this.
  10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I finished Freedom Cry now, so now I've really really finished Black Flag. Great game, great writing after the weaker ACIII writing. It's doing some brilliant stuff and even got the modern story somewhat back on track.

Also I rewatched GOTG and Pratt actually would make a really good Indy.

11. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Hey everybody! Remember all of that snow we didn't have this year? Well, it got dumped on us overnight here in the Midwest; we're about half a foot under and it's still coming down.

12. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Oof.

I didn't mind the Bradley Cooper rumors. The thing is, Indy himself doesn't need to be funny... in fact, almost the opposite. It needs to be somebody so not funny that it's funny to see funny things happening around him.

Yunno, I almost think they should scrap the movie and just get Darabont to do another Young Indy series, just more action and less education. Set it in the late 20's or something.

Valin__Kenobi and TheRedBlade like this.
  13. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I personally always say Corran Horn as Pratt.

14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Chris Pratt isn't Indy, he's Nathan Drake. Think of everything that distinguishes the two characters from each other, and Pratt embodies the "Drake" side of the coin.

15. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Yesyesyes.

Although I have no hope in a Uncharted film as long as Avi Arad is involved.

16. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Uncharted doesn't need a film. Uncharted is a film.

Vthuil, CooperTFN and Gorefiend like this.
  17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Indy is funny -- it's just that the humor isn't in him cracking jokes, it's in his reaction to what's going on around him. But what's "Oh, ****" if not a laugh line? And the whole Indy/Henry Sr. relationship is a classic comedy double act.

But, really, I didn't mean anything about humor. I just think he has the looks and the presence for the role. Just because he's a funny guy doesn't mean he has to be doing comedy all the time, and I was just surprised that I could see it working.

18. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Well, from everything we've seen of Jurassic World it seems like a more traditional "stoic badass" role for Pratt in that one. That'll be a good gauge if he's just a comedian or if he had legitimate acting chops. If he can pull it off, I'd be willing to give him a crack at Indy.

19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    You just said that the new Jurassic Park movie will be a test of his "legitimate acting chops". o_O

20. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    I said it would be a test if his other roles were good acting, note use of the word "had." :p I don't expect JW to be anything but a popcorn flick, the guy's got trained raptors on his side for pete's sake.

21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    He can be Indy if he brings the raptors with him. Crystal Skull could only have been improved by raptors.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Pratt seems to be more suited for a woe-is-me type character.

IOW, Corran Horn.

But not Indy.

And maybe in Jurassic World, he muses on why the velociraptors are so anxious to eat him and weren't the T-Rex's trouble enough?

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    All you who know of Michael Moorcock's works or the Warhammer games will find Eurasian Youth Union's flag rather funny
    [​IMG]

24. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    "Depends..." "On what?" "On what kind of dinosaur they cooked up in that lab..."

...Yeah no, invalid data.

I dunno, I just don't buy it. It's asking too much, and I don't like resorting to the whole "But we haven't seen if he can do this or that, maybe he can!" reasoning. And GotG was not an instance of that; I could see that working from the minute it was announced, and I knew it would be great just because of James Gunn. The Indy franchise, on the other hand, is far too fragile to put in the hands of anyone but a sure thing.

25. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    There's only one sure thing when it comes to Indy, and he's a bit old for the part nowadays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.