main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Did Sidious know about Luke before ESB?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Fruit Pastilles, Jan 15, 2015.

1. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Two people from the same planet with the same name?! They MUST be related.

2. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Yup. Just go ahead and ignore the second half of my post.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Anakin grew up in Mos Espa - the Lars farm, however, is not in Mos Espa but way out in the "countryside" (or as close as the desert environment of Tatooine can come to it.)

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Correct. My last name is a very common name. That means not everyone is related to me that has that name, especially in a city of almost a million people. However, my mom's maiden name is unique. It comes from her father and odds are that if you have that last name, you're related to us. If Skywalker was a unique name, then it would draw attention. But we don't know that. Not to mention, no one is looking for Luke. Not the Empire and not the Hutts.

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think Lucas said outright in an interview, when asked about it "Skywalker's a common name. There's even a Skywalker brand of wine."

6. Obi-Wan_Lennon

Obi-Wan_Lennon Jedi Master

Jun 6, 2005
    On the issue of when Vader and Sidious found out about Luke I always have viewed this way: Vader found out first. Probably during the trench run in Episode IV. He felt that the force was strong with the pilot who blew up the Death Star. He then later meditated on that presence and discovered the truth. That's why he's obsessed with finding Luke in the beginning of Episode V. Sidious doesn't find out about Luke until Luke starts training with Yoda, so essentially once Luke starts actively using the force. Once Luke starts gaining power in the force Sidious senses him. He then consults Vader on the issue, figuring that Vader is his best bet at turning Luke. Vader just plays dumb to hide that fact that he has been going behind The Emperor's back.

7. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I assume the Emperor learned about Luke after ANH, not before.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I think Lucas was being facetious about that the same way that he said that Obi-wan was born on the planet Stewjon, while talking to Jon Stewart on "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart". That said, Skywalker being a common name wouldn't be surprising.

9. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Best to take Lucas words with a pinch of salt..

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Iron_lord
    I was under the impression that in both versions of the ESB holo-meeting with the Emperor, Vader is faking not being aware of Luke's identity. That has been said by many people in the past, that "How is that possible?" is a bluff. Has the canon explanation changed or am I missing something?

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think Lucas said in the TESB Blu-ray commentary that Vader's surprise is real, but I'm not sure.

I know that Ryder Windham, writer of the TESB junior novel that came out after the change, made it clear in his own novel (The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader) that Vader's surprise was real - he might have done so for the junior novel as well - I don't have it.

EDIT: - After looking it up (Googlebooks)- he does:

TESB Junior novelization:

From light years away, on the planet Coruscant, the Emperor said, "There is a great disturbance in the Force."
    "I have felt it," Vader said.
    The Emperor continued, "We have a new enemy. The young Rebel who destroyed the Death Star. I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker."
    "How is that possible?" Darth Vader managed to ask through his shock. Could it be ... true?
    "Search your feelings, Lord Vader. You will know it to be true. He could destroy us."
    "He's just a boy," Vader pointed out, the belief rising within him that Anakin's son could exist. He thought, If the Emperor knows about the boy, he also knows the fate of Obi-Wan Kenobi. Vader added, "Obi-Wan can no longer help him."
    "The Force is strong with him," the Emperor said. "The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi."
    The Emperor had not said, in so many words, that the young Skywalker must die, which was fortunate because Vader had something else in mind. He told his Master, "If he could be turned, he would become a powerful ally."
    "Yes," said the Emperor, his expression thoughtful, as if he had not previously considered the possibility. Sith Lords had long maintained a rule of limiting their numbers to only two: one master and one apprentice - but now, the Emperor's eyes seemed to ignite, and he repeated, "Yes. He would be a great asset. Can it be done?"
    "He will join us or die, Master," Vader said. He bowed, and the Emperor's hologram faded out.
    Nothing will stand in my way, Darth Vader thought. Nothing will stop me from achieving my goal. If I must search the farthest reaches of the galaxy, I will find Luke Skywalker.

12. Darth Schlotkin

Darth Schlotkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 6, 2015
    ROTS ''Henceforth you shall be known as Darth...Vader'' -Sidius

Vader=father in Dutch
    Ergo,as far as i see it, Sidius knew about Padme's pregnancy long before TESB.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    He seems to know about Anakin's fears for Padme, without Anakin actually telling him onscreen.