main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends I'll Come With You

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ThreadSketch, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Alright, alright, I don't mean to build this up to unrealistic expectations of Chuck Norris-level-awesomeness, but yes, it is meant to be pretty emotional.

HOWEVER...this will give you a hint as to what's in that pouch. [face_mischief][face_laugh]

Nyota's Heart and taramidala like this.
  2. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Just caught up after all the holiday craziness, and I am still in love with this fic. Can't wait to read more! You have the relationship between them so beautifully nuanced.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  3. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Welcome back! The next segments will take some extra time for me, as it's been years since I've read all the way through the Hand of Thrawn duology and I'm frankly more than a little intimidated that I need to write about Shada and the transition of Karrde's organization. So just bear with me, peeps...

divapilot likes this.
  4. Demendora

Demendora Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2010
    Okay... I think, it's time to ask for an update. ^:)^

5. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Work is getting in the way, I'm afraid. [face_beatup] I don't plan on having a very long-term hiatus, but it's going to take a while to continue. I do apologize. [face_blush]

6. Demendora

Apr 9, 2010
    We will be waiting![face_nail_biting]

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
  8. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    I appreciate it. :) I've considered rushing through the next part just to get it up, but...I'd rather try to do my best instead, since I owe it to y'all.

9. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    [Story removed.]

Kahara and Gemma like this.
  10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Liked very much the talk with Karrde and Mara's reaction to the Karrde/Shada undercurrents. [face_thinking] =D= Then SQUEEE! The figurine, hand-crafted, no less, topped only by that sweet, Luke-esque note. It is so him. [face_love] Candid and vulnerable and cherishing of Mara's true self. [face_dancing]

11. Demendora

Apr 9, 2010
    Luke's letter...oooh!:_|:_|:_| and the present..aaah:_|:_|. Why do I have a feeling that something bad is going to happen? I hope, I am wrong, because this is so beautiful. ^:)^^:)^@};-

12. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    And I didn't tag you because I knew you'd be here like 5 minutes after I posted, LOL. [face_laugh][:D]

Mara knows it's bad when even Karrde is turning into a matchmaker. :rolleyes::p

Nah, there's nothing bad on the horizon, just a lot of feely feels. ;)

Help yourself to the pallet of tissues I invested in for everyone. [face_laugh]

[​IMG]

Kahara, Gemma and Nyota's Heart like this.
  13. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    I told you I would squee, and I am. :D

You hit just the right balance in the scene with Karrde! And that letter...it was exactly right. Overly mushy isn't Luke's style at all, but even when he's so matter-of-fact, he's just so sweet. I can't blame Mara's overwhelmed feelings, but, damn, girl, IT WILL BE ON YOUR TERMS! :p

(Nice throwback with that line, by the way: "my reasons!" ;) )

14. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Nice update! I love the note. So sweet!

15. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    [:D][face_batting]

Thanks so much for helping me get through that first section. I love Karrde/Mara, but I flail so hard when I have to write them, lol. After our discussion I went back and glanced at their introductory scene in HttE and thought it'd be fun to have a scene that, while not exactly the same, kind of echoed that first conversation of theirs from a decade earlier (where he invited her to dinner in his private quarters to talk about her promotion). I wanted to show it was both similar and different, because now there isn't this aloof wariness on her part; they really know each well now like BFFs.

Luke is an insufferable sweetie. [face_love] He knows she doesn't go for mush either; they're both quite practical, but he's still pouring his heart out on that page and she can feel that, and she's like...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...so she shuts it all down and stuffs it away for another day, when she can just stick her head in work and not think about it. :p

Would you believe I totally forgot about that scene?!! :eek:[face_blush] But...yep, that's SO true and fitting. It's all about control for Mara, because she's had it taken away from her for half her life - and Luke understands that too. Because he's awesome like that...now that he's used the cheat code and been in her head and all that. :p

Glad you liked it! :D

16. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Aw, Ghent at a shindig. Wish I had seen it!

Needless to say, the gift was gorgeous and Luke's letter was so touching. Those last three sentences of the letter...

... All the feels. *sniff* every single one.

Beautiful, just beautiful.

17. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    I'm lame, so I didn't go into details about the party. It just happened in the background. [face_whistling]:p He's a little less socially awkward now that he's not an adorable kid-slicer anymore, but...he's still awkward, lol. I wanted to at least toss in a reference that he's there because he really admires Mara and will never forget that she was the one who got him involved with Karrde in the first place. He used to annoy her a bit with his dopeyness, but she likes the kid, in a kind of big-sister way.

These folks really are the family that Mara never got to have, whether she wants to acknowledge it or not.

I have officially put a bird on this fic. [/Portlandia] [face_rofl] #sorrynotsorry

This is his not-too-schmaltzy way of saying, "The Force says we're meant to be!" [face_batting] It is unavoidable...it is your destiny...release your feels, and your journey towards the OTP will be complete! [face_hypnotized]:*[face_laugh]

18. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    [face_love][face_love][face_love][face_love][face_love][face_love][face_love]

This slayed me - Mara and Karrde's conversation, and then Shada coming in at the end with Mara's musings on her, the changes in her life and everything moving on was just brilliant. You've written them all so well.

And then the letter. Her affectionate reaction to his handwriting, that he wrote a letter on actual paper, the fact that he carved her a songbird and all of his words...

[​IMG]

I also loved her subtle reaction, just perfect in the context.

Kahara, Nyota's Heart and Gemma like this.
  19. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    MY WORK HERE IS DONE. [face_mischief]:p

I'm glad everybody seemed to be in character. [face_blush]

That was my lazy way of leaving it ambiguous for the reader so you can imagine for yourself what she might have been thinking about...

Kahara, Nyota's Heart and Gemma like this.
  20. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Loved the gift especially since he made it and the letter was perfect -- adored the last 3 lines. I liked the fact that she attached the small leather pouch to her belt -- which means she will have it with her no matter where she goes --- that's definitely a reaction in my book.

Kahara and Nyota's Heart like this.
  21. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    YEP, THIS. =D= I'm glad that stood out for you. Luke specifically used a belt pouch instead of more traditional gift packaging because he was hoping - and guessed correctly - that she'd want to carry it with her, since she constantly travels and has no permanent home (especially now that the Fire's gone).

22. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Okay. I'm late on reading and reviewing, and of course everyone else said everything I had to say, and then some more. So my comment is: everything everyone said :p

PS: No food, but good whiskey. That was a fair deal.

23. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Don't feel any shame in that, because I've been there so many times. [face_laugh]

LOL, something was imbibed. Close enough. ;)

Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  24. Annia Piet

Annia Piet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 7, 2015
    Just found this story, and absolutely loving it! Luke in particular seems very 'right' in his characterisation, somehow. Looking forward to the rest! :)

Kahara and Nyota's Heart like this.
  25. ThreadSketch

Dec 22, 2013
    Welcome aboard the Starry Ice, lolz! :D I'm glad I'm striking the right chord for Luke so far. Let's see if I can keep that up... :p

TO EVERYBODY WHO NOMMED THIS FOR AWARDS 2015, CONSIDER YOURSELF TACKLE-HUGGED. [:D][:D][:D] And do me a favor and go tackle-hug Jedi_Lover, JadeLotus and taramidala for letting me run with this idea and giving me a hand with characterization and background info, because this has been a team effort.

Kahara, Gemma, JadeLotus and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.