main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What is your favorite portrayal of the OT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by SatineNaberrie, Feb 24, 2015.

?

What is your favorite portrayal of the OT?

1. Movies

96.3%
  2. Comics

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Novelizations

3.7%
  4. Radio Drama

3.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    My favorite portrayal of ANH, ESB, and ROTJ is the Radio Drama especially for ANH and ESB. There is more material and parts in them not in the movies.
    The ROTJ radio drama wasn't too bad, but Mark Hamill voiced Luke Skywalker in the ANH and ESB drama. Anthony Daniels voiced c3po in the drama too. Billy Dee Williams did Lando too, but the other voice actors were different.
    Even though James Earl Jones didn't do Vader, I thought it was still okay. If you haven't heard the radio drama I suggest checking the nearest library, its pretty good.
    It has lots of dialogue and it has music and sound effects like the movies. I think of the radio drama as extended versions when in comes to ANH and ESB.

2. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    As much as I really like the radio drama, there's no way I would go as far as saying they're better than the movies. The radio drama has none of the visuals, none of the music (I think?), and is missing some key cast members and story beats. It's great in its own right but no substitute for the movies IMO.

The comics are great but I'm not much of a comic fan in general. I love the novels and they're pretty much as good a version of the OT in prose form as we could hope for.

But yeah, nothing comes close to the movies for me, I'm afraid!

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  3. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Like Palp's, I like the radio drama as I thought they did a pretty decent job. But the movies will always be the best portrayal of the films for me. I haven't looked at any of the novelization or comics so don't know about them.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The novels have some good moments not in the movies. Need to experience the comics and radio dramas.

SatineNaberrie likes this.
  5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Not done the comics. Done the others still prefer films.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The OT comics seem to fall midway between the films and the books, in terms of "stage of the design process" - Luke is still Blue Five rather than Red Five - but all the dialogue in, for example, the briefing scene, is assigned to the same people as it is in the film.

Quite a few "book-style" phrasings make it into the ANH comics though.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I'd be a tie between the movies and novels. The movies are obviously more of a visual representation, but the novels give you a few extra tidbits the movies didn't, or couldn't include.

I personally like the ROTJ novelization, as it gives you more of a depth and understanding to what Vader is thinking and feeling.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Definitively movies, because even if I like some of the novels I see Star wars first and foremost as a visual storytelling and therefore I think movies are the best way to portray it.

9. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The Movies. I enjoyed the novels, but the movies are what made me a Star Wars fan. :)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Super Star Wars trilogy for SNES!

bluecadet3 likes this.
  11. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I really like the radio dramas, but I like the movies more.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  12. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

This. And it gives some characters more time than they have onscreen, plus from the way they are described, it's admirable how great the actors were at portraying them.

The only nonsense I cannot get over is erasure of a freakin' gas giant. The planet exists, OK?

_Sublime_Skywalker_ likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed. The "Endor Moon Hoax" retcon fixed that - but it was a bad choice in the first place.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Movies.

I enjoyed the novelization, but...the movies.

15. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Don't see how it could be anything other than the films - the OT was originally created as a series of films, all the other adaptations were just that, adaptations.

If the question was "Other than the films, what is your favourite potrayal of the OT?", I'd go with the radio dramas. They're cringeworthy at first, but once you get used to the different voices, it's a really enjoyable experience taking the storyline in all sorts of different directions, and filling in just about every imaginable gap. SW/ANH starts considerably earlier than the film, showing Luke's skyhopper race (briefly referred to in a deleted scene) and just how Leia came to be in the possession of the Death Star plans.
    What was Leia doing above Tatooine? Why couldn't Artoo tell Luke what was going on? Why did Han decide to come back? The answers are all there in the radio dramas.

The comics and novels, however, really just adapt what was already there for their own specific media, with the occasional tidbit that was either deleted or never shot. Apart from such trivia (virtually all of which appears in the scripts), there's nothing about the novels or comics which transcends the films themselves, not that they were ever meant to.

MOC Yak Face, Iron_lord and Ewok Poet like this.
  16. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Movies too, cause visuals and sets are as essential as the story in itself.

Are the radio dramas available somewhere online ?

Never heard them.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Try youtube.

18. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

I know iTunes has them and probably even Google Play.

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    To I-tunes then!

20. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009

Thanks.

mes520 likes this.