main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Out Of The Shadows [Movie Quote Challenge : A soldier's retirement. *Dedicated to all war veterans*]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by madman007, Feb 27, 2015.

1. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Out of the Shadows
    Movie Quote Challenge. My quote: We survive by remembering. But sometimes we survive by forgetting. – The Uninvited (2009)

As those who know my work know, I'm not the sappy type of writer. Nevertheless, while reading this one, keep the tissues handy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The uniform actually fit him. Surprise lingered inside his head as he adjusted the lapel and collar. When was the last time he wore it? He struggled to remember. His eighty-year-old brain seemed to prevent memory that went beyond five years. Commander Jon Gul could remember some events during his military career. Unfortunately, those memories included faces that can no longer be seen. Jon shook those memories away as he tuned out the voice of his attendant, Lovahn. Ever since the young man arrived not twenty standard minutes ago to help Jon dress for the retirement ceremony, the boy would not shut up.

“Oh, remember the Battle of Orin? That was when? 10, 11 ABY? The Imperial army was not ready for you. Then in 15 ABY you raided the D’Vaser complex. Those pirates were brutal, but you made the decision to flank them from underground. That was brilliant!”

On and on he went. Recounting events that Jon had been a part of as though he were dictating them from an archive data pad. For every one of the battles and conflicts that Jon had been a part of, he could only see in his mind the humans and aliens whom he couldn’t save. The poor boy. Jon could tell he confused necessity with admiration. Why should Commander Jon Gul be remembered? No one remembered him. Which was why Jon thought this ceremony for his retirement was a waste of time. The only ones who were attending were his two daughters and their respective families. Jon only had a small amount of friends still living. Only a few of them were able to attend. And most of them were Odessia’s friends. Odessia, his beloved wife. Even she was gone. The pain of her loss came back to him for an unwelcome visit. Jon slowly shook his head. Yet another memory to forget.

He stayed silent as Lovahn recited all of the Commander’s adventures. It wasn’t until he realized that the boy had asked him a question when he spoke. “What? What did you ask?”

Lovahn repeated in the usual manner that youth did with the elderly; slow and loud. “I asked if you had met Luke Skywalker at the Battle of Gherit? Luke Skywalker helped you there. Do you remember?” Lovahn didn’t wait for Jon’s reply. He continued in his regular voice. “I mean that would be something to meet him. To fight side by side with the Luke Skywalker could be the highlight of your career.”

Jon finally chuckled at the boy. “Son, let me stop you there. Nothing is what it seems. Yes, Luke Skywalker was at that battle, same as me. He was the lead on that mission. He took point while I was second in command of the ground assault. We never met or spoke. You see, I heard you list all of my so-called accomplishments. In every one of them I was only the second in command or lower. You know what that means? It means I had the ideas in those battles, but those higher in rank made the decisions. They got all the glory on the HoloNet and I stayed in the shadows. That’s where I’ve been all my life. In the shadows. Behind the front lines. Where it was safe. And what did it get me? My wife and friends are long gone and my daughters hardly visit me. I’m all alone.”

At first, Lovahn didn’t know how to respond to the former Commander’s words. Then he smiled and said, “But you were still a part of those battles. They may not have been your decisions but they were your ideas. Ideas that those higher in rank agreed to use. People survived because of your ideas.”

Jon grunted. “Son, let me let you in on a little secret. We survive by remembering. But sometimes we survive by forgetting.”

Lovahn stayed silent for about a few seconds. He smiled again. “Sounds like you’re only remembering the bad memories.”

“Those are all I have left these days, son. I don’t have anyone around me now to remind me of the good ones.”

“Maybe that can change.”

Jon laughed. “Son, I’m in my early eighties. Not much is going to change for me now.”

“All right. I give up. I can tell you your immediate location will change. You ready to see your family? You look great in your uniform, by the way.”

Jon grumbled, “A gundark would look good in a uniform.”

“Come on, grumpy. I’ll follow you out.”

“All right, but try and keep up. I may look old but I’m a spry fella’”

Jon started to walk out of the ready room first and Lovahn did what he said he would and followed. Jon was correct that he could walk well for his age. He didn’t even need a cane. They both exited the room and came to a hallway. Jon took a right and headed down the durasteel walls of the facility with Lovahn in tow. When Jon approached a single grey door on his left, he veered toward it. Lovahn stopped him.

“Uh, sir, your daughters told me they changed rooms. They’re all in the room down further on the right.”

“What, the ballroom? That’s too big.”

“That’s just what they told me.”

“Very well.” Jon continued walking. Just a few meters down were a pair of red double doors. Jon hit the controls and the doors slid open.

And he received the surprise of his life.

Beyond the double doors was an expansive ballroom. And it was full. Humans and alien beings from various systems filled in the area. The murmurs of the crowd echoed against the large walls. At the opposite end of the ballroom, a lit banner read, Happy Retirement, Commander Gul. Jon did not recognize a single soul. He could not move forward. He almost had the notion of retreating back into the ready room. Alone. But Lovahn was there to block him.

He asked the boy, incredulously, “What is this? Who are these people?”

Lovahn came up beside the former Commander. “These are your fans. Your daughters thought you might want to meet them.”

“But they don’t know me.”

“Why don’t you walk further and test that theory?”

Jon proceeded to walk out of the hidden alcove of the entrance to the ballroom and into the bright lights. When one Sullustian spotted him, he squealed with delight. That was the spark of realization to the crowd that the Commander was present. It was like an unstoppable wave. Acknowledgement soon turned to recognition, and then to gratitude. It seemed as if the crowd were on cue with their applause upon seeing the Commander. He eased forward and the people formed an aisle for him to walk more easily. But some did not stop at clapping. Many of them in turn came up to Jon and offered a hand, a paw, or a tentacle for him to honorably shake. All of those who did, spoke their gratitude.

“Thank you, sir, for your service!”

“I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for you, sir. Thank you!”

“I not have family now if no you. I give thanks on you.”

“Thank you, sir.”

“We are all here for you, sir. Thank you.”

“You have done the galaxy a great service.”

All along the path, the living testimonies went on. They seemed endless to Jon. He could not speak to any of them. Shock took away his speech for the moment. He did shake their hands, or other, at their request if they offered. He was edging closer to the end of the ballroom. He could now see both of his daughters with their respective husbands and children. Krystah had his former dirty blonde hair and same facial features. Jasmille was the living clone of his wife, Odessia, with long ebony curls and the brightest aqua eyes. He approached them but they also met him.

Jas, his youngest, was the first to hug him. “Hello, dad. Thought we’d bring you some of your fans from over the years.”

“I didn’t even know they existed.”

Krystah hugged him next. “Yes, they do, daddy.” She then faced him. “You are not alone.” She breathed before she stated, “And you don’t have to be anymore. We have decided that you should come live with us. My kids are grown and are out of the house. We were wrong to not include you over the years. I can just hear mother scold us about that. Please say yes.”

“Why would you want an old space nut like me around?”

“To hear your war stories, of course.”

Jon chuckled. “Those won’t last a day.”

Jas quipped, “Oh look, he’s as stubborn as a certain sister of mine.”

After Krystah nudged her sister, she said to Jon, “Just think about it. Right now, there’s someone else who wants to greet you on your retirement day.”

As she separated from him, another figure emerged behind her. Dressed in his famous black tunic was none other than Luke Skywalker himself. He came up to the former Commander and said, “I wanted to be here for this. So did my wife, Mara, but she is away on an errand. She sends her dearest regards.”

Jon was officially overwhelmed. “I thought you didn’t know who I was.”

“Of course, I do. I remembered you at the Battle of Gherit. General Mollack told me it was your decision to blockade the supply huts. It was simple but it saved lives. Most of the survivors and their families are here because of that decision. And, in a way, I am also here because of you.”

“What? How so?”

Luke explained, “I’m not sure if you remember, but you served under General Dodonna at the rebel base on Yavin 4. That was during the first Death Star attack. Do you remember?”

“Yes, yes, I remember you now. You and Princess Leia and that smuggler escaped from the Death Star. Boy, you were a cocky kid.”

Luke smiled. “That I was. But you, sir, helped me shape who I am today. You handed me my very first X-Wing flight suit.”

“Well, somebody had to.”

“Yes. Even the smallest decisions can make the biggest impact.” Luke addressed the crowd and raised his voice. “Let’s hear it for Commander Jon Gul!”

The crowd cheered.

Jon would never forget this moment for as long as he lived.

The End
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    For Clarence “Hec” Hadorn, Navy ret.
    1924 - 2012
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author’s note: If you see a war veteran of any age, go up to them, shake their hand and thank them. You never know how much it would mean to them.

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That was a tearjerker. This reminds me of news report I saw where an elderly man who saved a group of Jews from the Nazis was recently asked to talk at a college. Unbeknownst to him the audience was filled with some of the people he saved and also the generations of children and grandchildren from these survivors. There were hundreds of people in that auditorium and not one would be alive if it wasn't for this man. That was an emotionally overwhelming scene when their ruse was revealed to the elderly hero.

Great story and a very nice use of the quote.

Findswoman likes this.
  3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Nice story and nice use of the quote! What an amazing surprise for Jon that outpouring of appreciation and gratitude must have been, especially from his daughters and that very eminent surprise guest! (And so now of course I have to ask: is Jon Gul actually a background character in A New Hope...?) Thanks so much for sharing this. :)

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Fantastic poignant use of the quote. =D= =D= Gave me happy, happy chills. [:D] [:D]

5. madman007

Aug 22, 2007
    Jedi_Lover - I remember that story. Glad my story reminds you of it.

Findswoman - To answer your question, Jon Gul is an OC of my own and did not officially appear in ANH. I took advantage of the fact that we never see Luke actually being handed his flight suit. He had his Tatooine tunic on in one scene and dressed in his flight suit the next. Thanks for liking my story, and for thinking my OC was an actual character in the movie.

Nyota's Heart - Love to give people happy chills. And sometimes chills in general. Thanks for reading!

Findswoman likes this.
  6. aleja2

aleja2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2005
    Beautiful, evocative story. I don't really have any more words other than this was touching without being maudlin, and a great use of the quote to tell a moving and affecting tale. And yes, please, do tell veterans how much you appreciate their service.

Bravo!

7. madman007

Aug 22, 2007
    Thanks, aleja2. I've heard that about me not being maudlin before. I guess I like to show the scenes of emotion and let the reader decide how to react rather than simply tell the reader when to feel sad or when to cry. Great compliment!