main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    I understand your general point. Just objecting to the broad stereotype regarding the behaviors of Mediterranean peoples! Discretion was (and is) a major part of Italian organized crime, much like it was for Whitey Bulger and his Irish network. It's just that the "flashy" contingent (who always gets nabbed) has received more media attention. There are loads of examples of dingy, grungy or poor rural settings for the leadership of Italian crime networks, ranging from the Neapolitan "Camorra" to the Calabrian "ndrangheta." Recent research into police records has uncovered a lot.

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    here's a question. do you think kylo ren will use FORCE LIGHTNING?

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I hope not. Force lightning should have been unique to The Emperor and I hated when Dooku used it.

4. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    I hope not. I don't think of force lightning as some sort of D&Desque "Sith ability." It was simply a means of showing how "above the fray" the Emperor was. He wasn't a soldier that used a sword. He was nearly a deity! And deities can create lightning.

Kylo Ren is, as far as I can tell, a soldier. And he should use a saber. Darth Serkis, on the other hand...

InterestingLurker likes this.
  5. Nando

Nando Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2014
    Yes. It will use the Falcon.

6. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    what? dooku rules. he is sith.

[​IMG]

that being said kylo is probably a sith wannabe at this point.

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I didn't say I dislike Dooku. I just said that he shouldn't have used lightning because lightning should have been exclusive to Sheev, not something that any Sith can do.

8. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    So who do you guys expect Uber to be exactly?

An ancient Sith or an underling of Palpatine like the Mizzlewump rumor stated.

9. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    idk. we have zero info on uber.

10. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    I was asking for predictions

11. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    If any are interested in the general themes and ideas Lucas explored and advanced in the Prequels, i.e. plagues, parasites, symbiosis and warfare, from the social scientists perspective, I recommend William H.McNeill's Plagues and People and The Pursuit of Power. The ideas in these books resonate throughout the PT story. Quite interesting.

12. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Why? Dooku wasn't just any Sith. He was a former Jedi.

If Palpatine's Master is the opaque threat lurking about in the background of the ST saga, then it seems logical from a writer's perspective to show Sidious with shared traits, which has the effect of providing the audience with a lack certainty in his 'unlimited power', although indirectly. The character's camp or exaggeration lends itself to this idea as well - "Is this guy for real?" The biggest challenge for the writers IMO is to give this new threat a power as visceral and menacing as Sith lightening, which is seems incredibly difficult to outplay. Like the Death Star of super weapons. Perhaps a power that plays on the same fears and instincts as the lightening, but gives the appearance of ubiquity. Like fear, greed and the Eye of Sauron.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Because if anyone can use it, it's no longer impressive when Sheev uses it and it makes Sheev seem less unique. What does whether or not Dooku was a former Jedi have to do with this?

Anyway, if Plagueis or Kylo Ren used lightning, it would be like a third Death Star: No longer threatening or unique.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  14. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    Maybe that was the point.

Just an observation, having been on both sides of the Force it seems as though he would be quite powerful and he made a good precursor to Anakin, IMO. A fallen angel tempted by Sheev, the Devil himself.

plaidphoenix and starocean90 like this.
  15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    You are correct that Dooku was supposed to forshadow Anakin. GL said, "If Sheev can corrupt one Jedi, he can corrupt another." Maybe GL should have had Dooku use a Force Choke instead of Force Lightning?

16. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I suspect that the people who don't have a problem with Dooku being able to use force lightning are generally people who didn't grow up with the OT, but instead got into Star Wars more or less as a whole.
    The moment in which Luke tosses his lightsaber aside, with Palpatine saying "so be it, Jedi", and then (after the cutaway) demonstrating just how powerful he is, conjuring lightning from nowhere, utterly overwhelming Luke, was properly shocking.

Compare that to the moment when Obi Wan casually absorbs Dookus ligtning with a lightsaber, and it makes the power slightly more mundane.

17. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    vader would have used lightning but he was in the suit.

18. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    But that wasn't so before AOTC was released, and why didn't he use it in the Jedi Temple or on Mustafar?

19. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    doesn't matter.

20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    That's not true. The whole conversation was about how AOTC ruined lightning.

21. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    it didn't. only a powerful sith can use it in canon. sidious, dooku, the son and mother talzin from tcw.

"How does one defend against such power?"

"A wise master does not reveal all his secrets at once. In due time, my apprentice."―Savage Opress and Dooku, after electrocuting Opress with a barrage of Force lightning.

vader was powerful enough to do it but he's in an electrical suit.

Immortiss likes this.
  22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I was referring to my opinion. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

23. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I thought Vader couldn't use it because he didn't have any hands? At least hands of flesh and bone.

24. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I would say that Anakin hadn't been taught to use lightening, even as Vader later on. Sheev was keeping his knowledge close to his chest and away from 'the Chosen One".

Obi-Wan was a fully trained Jedi Knight, unlike Luke.

Once you've seen the lightening once it doesn't have the lasting effect as the first look. It diminishes over time. The story must unfold.

If it's part of an overall story I would rather Sheev not be the be all, end all Sith. And this from a person who saw STAR WARS in the theater in 1977 and 1978, repeatedly, when I was 7 and 8 years old.

starocean90 likes this.
  25. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    that too. vader was powerful enough to learn it on his own i think. he just couldn't use it safely and liked choking people better.

Immortiss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.