main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Princess Leia (Marvel) #1, part 1 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    So no one suspects Leia's new friend is an Imperial Agent?

I mean its not as if Leia knows her personally so what if this is a charade?

Anyone know what ship they're using to head to Naboo?

R2 working with her suggests she's genuine but I can't help wondering why this hasn't come up?

2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I do wonder why Leia doesn't seem to be familiar with her. If Evaan was mentored by Breha personally, she and Leia must have known each other when they were children.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Eyesore-class courier shuttle.

4. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Breha may have kept her work life and her family life separate.

5. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    For a moment, I was hoping they were sticking to that EU concept where the royal household extended to the Queen and Viceroy's wards. You know, Winter, Neena, perhaps Darlen...

6. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    The concept may still be valid, I'm just speculating that Breha may have done some mentoring outside of the household. Maybe she was patron of a school or something.

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    It's funny that people are complaining about the shuttle because it immediately made me think of the Moldy Crow.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's not even in the same galaxy in terms of looking good.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  9. Rebel_Loyaltist

Rebel_Loyaltist Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2001

If for the all that is holy, if Evaan is an Imperial agent OR not loyal to the Rebels in any fashion AND/OR ends up dead I will never forgive you. She's hilarious.

10. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    The Empire didn't know the Rebels were on Yavin until the Falcon led them there. So it's hard to believe the Empire would have had an agent there who hadn't tipped them off to the base's location earlier.

If you instead prefer the notion that she is one of the pilots who just arrived on Yavin along with the Rebel fleets, that's a little different, but then you have to wonder why she didn't just stun Leia once they were aboard the shuttle and fly her to the nearest Imperial outpost or Star Destroyer.

I think it's more likely Evaan is more or less who she says she is. She may have secrets - who knows if she's telling the truth about her background - but her being an Imperial agent is, I think, unlikely.

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Nah, I'm fine with that. While it's true that I prefer my Core Worlders to be Loyalists, I am generally sympathetic to those who are in revolt because their traditional government or culture has been uprooted. Remember, I like the Organas -- if Bail and Leia get a pass, why wouldn't Evaan?

And besides, the destruction of Alderaan was a criminal atrocity perpetrated by a Rimmer against a world he was doubtless jealous of. I would not blame Alderaanians for their behavior.

There are limits of course. Mothma is beyond the pale.

Also there's a bit of a wrinkle: the new canon has the Empire basically instituting a pogrom against Alderaanians on Coruscant after they protested the destruction of Alderaan. This isn't universal, and it seems even stormies think that it's kind of rough, but it's not easy to see how that kind of response might lead an Alderaanian into action.

Not that this has anything to do with Evaan, who's already on Yavin, but I'm not about to judge any Alderaanian character.

In fact, the first thing I said when I visited Alderaan for the first time in TOR was "**** Tarkin." :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The first thing I said was "this is the best you can come up with" regarding the architecture, but than again that is mostly the first I say on most planets I visit in TOR

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The castle looked kind of nice. The rest of it was bland and the interiors were just cloned from the Senate, but what can we expect?

The mountain backdrops looked great, though. And thrantas are such fun.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Gamiel likes this.
  14. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Re: Mon Mothma being "at sea",
    that sort of sounded like her most important role in the Rebellion involved the Senate somehow -- maybe she was gathering support there, trying to create underground networks, or using Senate meetings for clandestine dealings & conspiracies... something of that sort, that required her to focus her attention mostly on her Senate-related activities, whereas Leia (while being a junior Senator) did more work in the field, using her privileges to smuggle data and stuff around etc.
    That's the impression I got from that one line in the comic anyway, and if that's what they're planning for Mon Mothma pre-ANH, I'd be very much alright with that.

15. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Great issue, although I think I enjoyed Darth Vader more so far.

If Ackbar acts like he does in this issue in all future appearances, I'll be very happy. [face_laugh]

Really like how they are using Dodonna, and Evaan is a pretty cool character so far. Very eager to see where this goes.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  17. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    "Can we cut away all the nonsense and be friends?" is something I can definitely imagine Leia from the movies saying as she hugged someone around the neck from behind.

Grey1 and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  18. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Can somebody get this cuddly Wookiee in my arms so I can hug him? is how I believe her line went concerning Chewbacca in the original film.

19. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    I kinda hope Leia will meet Jar Jar or at least a Gungan

20. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Hearing how great Ackbar is in this issue, I wonder if he should get his own spin off film. :p

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  21. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    And book series, comics, TV show... :D

I'm still waiting for a TV series (animated or otherwise) that is Star Wars version of the rebooted BSG crossed with Space: Above and Beyond. Basically a show set on the Rebel Fleet and featuring a squadron of hot shot pilots, like, gosh, I don't know... maybe Rogue Squadron? ;)

--Adm. Nick

22. JBFett007

JBFett007 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 23, 2014
    I don't get you guy's praise for this thing is. I honestly thought it was the worst of the Marvel line so far, and that's saying a lot given my feelings toward Star Wars #2. The art was crap, and reminded me WAY too much of Star Wood, giving Leia that weird Hispanic look. Why did Luke look borderline oriental? I don't think that's Han, I think someone chopped off his face and is using it as a mask. The storyline didn't hook me at all, and the dialogue seemed off the whole issue. None of the character's sounded right. Ackbar is a joke, Wedge is asking Luke questions about Space Travel, & that double hologram thing. Egh. Hopefully next issue will change things for me. I did like the new character, and the plot line that's being established.

23. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The question is, what's worse, looking Hispanic or looking Asian?

JoinTheSchwarz and DelRiego like this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I liked this issue because it got inside of Leia's "royal heir" thing which was never really explored in the films at all, and I think it's a cool twist how the blonde gal is snippy with her simply because Leia being headstrong is simply how things aren't done. Alderaan was a monarchy after all, you'd figure the Alderanians, especially those with close ties to the royal house, would feel weird if a princess was gunning right beside them. Her rounding up the Alderaan leftovers sounds like a good, solid hook that'll last for a few issues. I enjoy the art even though it's more cartoony than most but Doodsons are very expressive and dynamic so it fits. Casssaday is still my favourite artist in the Star Wars Marvel roster right now though, by quite a bit.

I will say this issue didn't floor me as much as the first issues of "Star Wars" and "Darth Vader" respectively, but there was a lot of character stuff in here and it was pretty well written. Also I liked how in the new canon, Luke likes Leia more like someone he knows he can ask for support without the romantic overtones. It adds more of a family relationship instead of love triangle.

Imperial controlled Naboo sounds really interesting to see and I hope we get a bit more explodey stuff happening. I don't think a single thing blew up this entire issue! horrors! more shooting next issue, pls, Waid. Thanks.

Agreed, I really hope grumpy, angry Ackbar is generally what he's doing. I especially dug how he said that having human hands doesn't mean they have to be clumsy. Just one page of Ackbar yelling at people every issue would make me happy.

AdmiralWesJanson and Iron_lord like this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well then... Coming soon:

Star Wars MAX: Admiral ******* Ackbar - A 5-issue limited ******** series!