main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Strategies for Defeating a Lightsaber-wielding Opponent

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Dak Oolron, Jul 11, 2014.

1. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    They do it everytime it is used though. If your a SW fan you know what cortosis is. It's the same as explaining hyperdrive technology everytime lightspeed is mentioned.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Be pre Vizla except against Maul.:p

3. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015
    I hope I'm not Trollinating this post but why not just ... 'Words?' or Form 0 - http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Form_"Zero" - reasoning with the opponent wielding the Lightsaber or atleast keeping a distance long enough to tire them out or such or finding the right words to calm them down ... Palpatine did so when Anakin wanted to kill him after discovering he was behind everything in the Clone Wars and being Darth Sidious and all that ... given Palpatine in the ROTS novel reasoned how Words would be a more powerful weapon than any weapon ... or Lightsaber ...

Dak Oolron and darthbarracuda like this.
  4. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Numbers, first of all. A one on one against a lightsaber wielding opponent is never a very easy fight.
    But as Sarge said, any automatic explosive weapon is sure to do well against a lightsaber user. If they block it, it will just pre-emptively detonate the explosive, and if it's automatic, they can't do much using the Force.

Apparently, these can't be blocked by lightsabers.

Beskar/cortosis/phrik armour would also be very useful. A gun made of the same metals would be good too.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  5. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    I have always wondered how one of the gungans plasma based shields that we seen in tpm would hold up against a lightsaber. With both weapons being plasma based it is very possible it could withstand it. Imagine a sword and board jedi.

Dak Oolron and Sarge like this.
  6. SeparatistSympathizer

SeparatistSympathizer Jedi Knight

May 14, 2014
    IG Lancer already got my thought out: I always figured that flamethrowers would be one of the most effective weapons for countering a saber.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  7. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012

If the opponent can use the Force, however, then it would be easy for them to make a shield of some sort.

Sarge and Dak Oolron like this.
  8. SeparatistSympathizer

SeparatistSympathizer Jedi Knight

May 14, 2014
    And that's the rub. But, as for a lightsaber, or close-quarters weapon in general, I figure an anti-personnel weapon that has a sprayed projectile, if you will, would be one of the better choices. Not only can the blade itself not block it, to my knowledge, but it forces them back, out of melee range.

Of course, throw in the force and they could make a shield, throw their lightsaber at you, simply choke you to death... all sorts of things.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  9. EntechednReformatted

EntechednReformatted Jedi Master star 2

Oct 17, 2009
    Actually, I thought the PT did a pretty good job answering this question. Defeating a Jedi is no big mystery. What do you need? Firepower. Either one big gun, or lots of little ones. Even the most powerful Jedi isn't Superman. Not even close. You don't need some sort of Jedi kryptonite.

10. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015
    Well - then again there is the Phrik-Alloyed Electrostaffs wielded by the Self-Motiviating Heuristically Programmed Humaniform Automatic Combat Droids (aka the IG-100 Magnaguards aka the General Grievous Bodyguards) as the Phrik-Alloyed Electrostaffs or 'fart-sticks' also do nicely against Lightsabers and by default (putting aside giant Lightsabers or two-handled Lightsabers or Lightsaber staffs or Lightwhips) they usually have longer range than a Lightsaber and the Phrik-Alloyed shafts of the Electrostaffs can endure several blows from a Lightsaber before being severed - and that's still pretty durable compared to most materials which can be cut and whilst Phrik-Alloy is not exactly Bes'Kar Gem or Cortosis - it's still nice against Lightsabers plus the fact the Phrik-Alloyed Electrostaffs also have the power-recycling coils on the ends of the baton shafts which can deflect Lightsabers plus they can inflict a nasty painful jolt if a Lightsaber-wielding opponent is careless ... and the fact in the EU - a Jedi Master known as Sannen was killed when an IG-100 Magnaguard practically struck him right down in the throat (no dirty sick references intended) and he was killed instantly ...

Or - perhaps a Ray-Shield like the Droideka's, having a Yslamari or two in your back-pack plus having one or two Phrik-Alloyed Electrostaffs and being a smart-mouthed or quick-thinking talker would do nicely against a Lightsaber wielding opponent - particularly a Jedi ...

And I'm not being a Trollinator again but perhaps if one is like ... Drumroll .... BATMAN! Now one may laugh but consider Batman seem's pretty well fitted in Star Wars considering there are plenty of characters whom are not Force-Sensitive but their quick-wits, resources, h2h skills (something many Jedi we don't see display outside of any Force Abilities - given in the EU comics and in the non-cannon 2005 Clone Wars cartoon we see Durge easily punching up Anakin and Obi-Wan Kenobi pretty badly and had it not been for their tune with the Force ... and had it been a pure h2h combat ... who knows the two would have been dead ...) luck, natural pure skill or even sometimes brute strength (like Durge) make them a powerful and deadly opponent for Jedi ... given Batman - what I mean look at Batman where in the DC he ain't got no Super-Powers we know that but that don't make him any weaker given:

1.) Strength; Batman isn't Superman but for a HUMAN BEING and by HUMAN STANDARDS Batman is extremely strong for a human-being - and he'd probably easily deck down many fighters and other heroes without any peak human strength - and Batman being able to bench press 600-800lb - making the average Olympic Athlete and the Strongman blush ... how many Jedi or SW characters can do this without any augmentation, no drugs, no machines and strictly no Force Powers? And hence Batman could probably in many cases be considered very strong physically and no doubt for a human being - he'd probably be able to also take on the Null-Class Clone Commandoes alone or Jango-Fett alone ... or even General Grievous and his body-guards ...
    2.) Speed and h2h skills; well I'm guess Jedi and Sith and various SW characters can fight but as Batman for a human-being is quite strong plus having also learned many types of fighting-styles and travelling the world to hone his skills and durability he surely would have no trouble then dealing at times or planning/tactically preparing traps for a Lightsaber wielding opponent ... and h2h ... well then again there's Darth Maul for starters but still Batman could give him a good fight - strictly with no Force allowed ...hence then again if Batman were in a Kung-Fu, MMA or Jackie Chan/Bruce Lee/Jet Li/Seagal/Van Damme/Rocky/David Carridiane film ... well ... he'd wreck everyone on the set by default ... pay them a nice paycheck for 'damages' and tell them to 'pack up and go home for the day...' :) and hence he'd do nicely against a Lightsaber wielding opponent - using speed and MMA skills and one does not need the Force intuition ... look at Cad Bane who's tricked Jedi at times and even killed or trapped them using his skills ... though he'd do nicely against Batman ...
    3.) Equipment and gear; well Batman is known for preparing and as long as he's got preparation and time to 'study' up his opponent...even if he loses - he can still put up a good fight or plan something long enough to escape ... and later come up with a new plan to what suits him ...if he's got a small sample of Kryptonite as insurance against Superman ... so why not some form of 'insurance' against a Lightsaber? Though he'd probably stock up a sample of Cortosis, Phrik or Bes'Kar Gem ...

So hence then again if you are like Batman practically - having Strength for a Peak-Human plus having wits and planning/resources you'd also do nicely against a Lightsaber wielding opponent and as Batman's dealt with Powerful opponents in DC whom have powers comparable to a Powerful Force-User ... so ... although in SW not everyone is always Peak-Human or is very strong for a human being at the least and well Batman probably could even take on a Trandoshan or a few Wookies or Wampa's or Rancor's alone with just standard gear and his wits ... a smart mouth and quick wise-cracking would also make many an opponent think twice unless they got goaded enough to lose their wits worth ...

Given also look at Jango Fett in the EU where in the Battle of Galidraan he alone despite the odds using just his fists, rage, fighting skills and armor - he personally took on 6 Jedi including the killer of his friend alone and killed 6 of them ... and Count Dooku at the time being Jedi 'Master Dooku' was there too witness to the battle ...

11. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    I have read somewhere (Wookieepedia, maybe? Path of the Jedi?) that creating such a shield would exhaust a Jedi. Even Mace Windu dodged Jango Fett's flamethrower discharge rather than blocking it.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  12. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    Which makes sense. If Jedi could just Matrix their way out of everything, they would pretty much be invincible, assuming they were paying attention :p

13. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015

Speaking of such Light-saber resistant armors - the armor from the scales of the Zillo Beast would have also done very very nicely ...

Then again combining these types of armor PLUS SKILL would be also excellent against many Light-saber wielding opponents.
    I'm not being a Trollinator again but perhaps if one is like ... Drumroll .... BATMAN! Now one may laugh but consider Batman seem's pretty well fitted in Star Wars considering there are plenty of characters whom are not Force-Sensitive but their quick-wits, resources, h2h skills (something many Jedi we don't see display outside of any Force Abilities - given in the EU comics and in the non-cannon 2005 Clone Wars cartoon we see Durge easily punching up Anakin and Obi-Wan Kenobi pretty badly and had it not been for their tune with the Force ... and had it been a pure h2h combat ... who knows the two would have been dead ...) luck, natural pure skill or even sometimes brute strength (like Durge) make them a powerful and deadly opponent for Jedi ... given Batman - what I mean look at Batman where in the DC he ain't got no Super-Powers we know that but that don't make him any weaker given:

1.) Strength; Batman isn't Superman but for a HUMAN BEING and by HUMAN STANDARDS Batman is extremely strong for a human-being - and he'd probably easily deck down many fighters and other heroes without any peak human strength - and Batman being able to bench press 600-800lb - making the average Olympic Athlete and the Strongman blush ... how many Jedi or SW characters can do this without any augmentation, no drugs, no machines and strictly no Force Powers? And hence Batman could probably in many cases be considered very strong physically and no doubt for a human being - he'd probably be able to also take on the Null-Class Clone Commandoes alone or Jango-Fett alone ... or even General Grievous and his body-guards ...
    2.) Speed and h2h skills; well I'm guess Jedi and Sith and various SW characters can fight but as Batman for a human-being is quite strong plus having also learned many types of fighting-styles and travelling the world to hone his skills and durability he surely would have no trouble then dealing at times or planning/tactically preparing traps for a Lightsaber wielding opponent ... and h2h ... well then again there's Darth Maul for starters but still Batman could give him a good fight - strictly with no Force allowed ...hence then again if Batman were in a Kung-Fu, MMA or Jackie Chan/Bruce Lee/Jet Li/Seagal/Van Damme/Rocky/David Carridiane film ... well ... he'd wreck everyone on the set by default ... pay them a nice paycheck for 'damages' and tell them to 'pack up and go home for the day...' :) and hence he'd do nicely against a Lightsaber wielding opponent - using speed and MMA skills and one does not need the Force intuition ... look at Cad Bane who's tricked Jedi at times and even killed or trapped them using his skills ... though he'd do nicely against Batman ...
    3.) Equipment and gear; well Batman is known for preparing and as long as he's got preparation and time to 'study' up his opponent...even if he loses - he can still put up a good fight or plan something long enough to escape ... and later come up with a new plan to what suits him ...if he's got a small sample of Kryptonite as insurance against Superman ... so why not some form of 'insurance' against a Lightsaber? Though he'd probably stock up a sample of Cortosis, Phrik or Bes'Kar Gem ...

So hence then again if you are like Batman practically - having Strength for a Peak-Human plus having wits and planning/resources you'd also do nicely against a Lightsaber wielding opponent and as Batman's dealt with Powerful opponents in DC whom have powers comparable to a Powerful Force-User ... so ... although in SW not everyone is always Peak-Human or is very strong for a human being at the least and well Batman probably could even take on a Trandoshan or a few Wookies or Wampa's or Rancor's alone with just standard gear and his wits ... a smart mouth and quick wise-cracking would also make many an opponent think twice unless they got goaded enough to lose their wits worth ...

Given also look at Jango Fett in the EU where in the Battle of Galidraan he alone despite the odds using just his fists, rage, fighting skills and armor - he personally took on 6 Jedi including the killer of his friend alone and killed 6 of them ... and Count Dooku at the time being Jedi 'Master Dooku' was there too witness to the battle ...

14. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Huh, I always assumed that the blade would simply disintegrate the bullet, but maybe not.

And here, I always assumed that the reason they used lasers instead of guns was that you got so many more shots out of them. One of the most common complaints I hear about Hollywood firearm protocol from people who know guns (not that I'm one of them) is the idea of machine guns having bottomless magazines or being able to fire that many shots, when in reality you run out pretty quickly. Star Wars blasters seem to run on some kind of battery and can fire shot after shot until the battery runs out - which it eventually does, but not nearly as fast as a gun would run out of bullets.

(Yeah, blasters are a disadvantage when going up against Jedi, but just how often does the average joe or even the average weapons-user run into a Jedi?)

Dak Oolron and Sarge like this.
  15. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Yep. I always figured that if I was in the Star Wars universe and somehow had to take out a Force-user using nothing but Muggles, this is exactly how I'd do it. Send a sniper with an ysalamir in his backpack and he'll never be found. Maybe the shot can be detected once it leaves the ysalamir bubble and leave enough time for the Force-user to react? If so, then you send an assassin close up, wait until he's close enough that the bubble covers the Force-user as well, and THEN shoot him (but that's not preferable as it would require the assassin to either corner him alone, or be willing to sacrifice himself).

Best of all, a two person team, each with an ysalamir in their backpack so they can't be sensed. One's the sniper, the other's to get close enough to the Force-user to negate his powers, at which point he signals the sniper to take the shot, but isn't the one blamed for it.

Damn. This would make a great short story. What a shame the ysalamiri were decanonized.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  16. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Well the most glaring issue is that bullets move at or near the speed of sound, their instantaneous. Blaster bolts are pretty slow by comparison and can be dodged if one is fast enough.

17. IG Lancer

IG Lancer Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 8, 2015
    I think the idea is that the Jedi use their precogniction to move their lightsaber to position before the blaster bolt is even shot. Of course, they still shouldn't be able to block several shooters at the same time, but well, movie.

I once read a comic in which a sword-wielding telepath fought a gunslinger. The telepath read the mind of the gunslinger and moved the sword in front of the part of her body the gunner was aiming to. The gunman tried to counter that by randomly shooting many bullets to her torso area, without aiming to an specific point.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  18. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015
    Hmm speaking of such - wouldn't Yuuzhan Vong weapons and gear also have done nicely against a Jedi or one who is imbued with the Force? Particularly those - sentient serpent-staffs the warriors used ... and it took more 'controversial' Powers of the Force - particularly Force Lightning that was needed to really affect Yuuzhan Vong ...

19. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Yes in NJO the Vong weapons are quite effect against the Jedi.

20. ARC_RC-7567

ARC_RC-7567 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2015
    Pre Vizsla was able to do it well, he used a lot of his tech to his advantage and and was able to stand against a Sith warrior for a quite a bit of time. If had kept his range instead of going in with just his fists he probably could have killed Maul. And than in Imperial Commando: 501st a clone named Rede was able to kill a Jedi in me lee combat. I'm pretty sure any ARC trooper or Clone Commando could take down an average Jedi knight if a Spaarti clone was able to kill a Jedi. Also do force users have to see the plasma bolt to deflect it? If so the Special Operations, Covert and Shadow clones could possibly kill a Jedi at range since all of them have access to variants of the DC-15 and 15s with invisible plasma bolts. Dual pistols also could be viable if you can aim in two different areas and shoot both guns at once. Grenades and explosives would also work, any weapons that effects an area also like a flamethrower. Also Dak Oolron I applaud you for your creative thinking.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  21. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    Thanks, ARC_RC-7567! ;) I always had the impression that a Jedi's ability to block blaster bolts/avoid danger was more like a "spider sense" than sensing threats with their natural senses (including vision). But invisible bolts certainly wouldn't hurt... it wouldn't tip them off visually that they were being attacked. In TCW, were those special bolts also suppressed/silenced?

Dual blasters would only work if the targeted areas were more than a lightsaber blade's length apart, otherwise, the Force user could just align their lightsaber to block both shots at the same time. That also assumes they don't move out of the way of one or both of your shots. I definitely think the flametroopers shown in TFA concept art etc are going to play an anti-Jedi role as well as anti-materiel/area denial.

22. ARC_RC-7567

Jan 22, 2015
    The DC-19S Stealth Carbine was suppressed and could fire standard bolts or use a special type of Tibana cartridge to fire invisible bolts and make the weapon even quieter. The downside is that the invisible bolts had to be reloaded every 10-15 shots (depending on mag size) and had slightly less range. So the invisible-bolts are like using subsonic rounds in modern day guns. So the invisible-bolts would be good for a sniper that but not in direct combat since it has a small capacity. The standard would DC-19S would be good for firing if the targeted force user did not see you. I'm pretty sure DC-15 Sidearm boasters or DC-17 Sidearm pistols could use the special Tibana bolts but I'm not sure how effective that would be. Same for wrist lasers/blasters like the Dur-24. Something I just thought of also, how effective would Cortosis or Beskar'gam bullets would work against a Jedi...

Dak Oolron likes this.
  23. Dak Oolron

Apr 24, 2014
    Hmm, interesting. Good info.

Special materials for bullets makes me think of using silver bullets against werewolves, etc :p

ARC_RC-7567 likes this.
  24. ARC_RC-7567

Jan 22, 2015
    I was thinking that using an extremely dense material (like Cortosis or Beskar'gam) would make the bullet go a bit faster. Or atleast make the bullet harder to stop using the force or ricochet instead of just melting from the saber.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  25. ARC_RC-7567

Jan 22, 2015
    Wasn't able to edit my last post so I just replied. Do anything like smart or exacto rounds exist in Star War? If so that could be another possibility to get past a ligtsaber.

Dak Oolron likes this.