main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Will you be reading or looking at reviews/ratings of TFA before you see it?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Fruit Pastilles, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    I'll check out the tomatometer for sure.

2. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Can anyone reading reviews and comments or watching videos say if the general consensus on the trailers is favorable or not favorable?

3. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    I will, just because of curiosity... but 'critics' reviews newer affect my view on movie...

4. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I remember when Garth Maul posted some 'edited' reviews for Revenge of the Sith. It certainly got us in the right direction as far as reviewing goes. Maybe EHT might indulge us?

Worst_Jedi_Ever likes this.
  5. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Extremely favorable. I was actually in the audience at Celebration and I have never seen so many grown men and woman openly weep in public before.

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm not quite sure what you mean... please elaborate. :)

7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I've hardly heard a negative word. Almost everyone seems to love the trailers (myself included).

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  8. TheYodaPagoda

Apr 23, 2002
    It was pretty artfully done. He took the reviews, like for example Peter Travers' negative Rolling Stone review, and edited out items that would indicate where the plot was headed. Us spoiler-free folks could get a good idea about whether the movie was good or not. It's good we didn't have to base our opinions on just Travers' review, because judging by the other reviews that were posted, it was like he was reviewing a completely different movie. Might have to hunt down a link, but I think they're still in the archives of the JCF.
    Edited to add — Here is the thread I was speaking of: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...s-eberts-review-spoiler-free-inside.19448969/

9. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Well, I don't think we're going to do something like that on the level that they did before. People need to decide for themselves what risks they're willing to accept, and read reviews if they want to read reviews.

That said, I might be willing to do a couple of edited reviews that way. But that brings me to another issue with this. A lot of spoiler-free people have varying levels of what constitutes a spoiler to them. There's no way these edited reviews could be made into a one-size-fits-all kind of deal, as far as I can see. Even in those linked ones from ROTS, here's an example:

"Obi-Wan / Anakin fight on Mustafar is just too good to write about. You need to see it for yourselves. What?s worth mentioning is another uber-cool moment just before the duel begins EDITED ....exchange between Obi-Wan and Anakin rule big time, no question about it."

I think that some spoiler-free people would not want to have known that Anakin and Obi-Wan were shown fighting on Mustafar, but that part was not edited out.

10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Exactly!

EHT likes this.
  11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I usually don't put too much emphasis on reviews - I like to form my own opinions. However, I do like looking at them to see what others think about a movie sometimes.

12. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    Cushing's Admirer PM'ed me this post, as he's not signed up for the spoiler-free forum. May as well post it.

Mod edit: Quoted content removed. No posting by proxy; if someone wants to post in this forum, they need to request posting access to it (not PM the content to someone else for them to post).

13. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I'll check and see how many stars the critics are giving it, but as far as the review itself, I'll probably refrain from reading them. At least until after I've seen the movie myself, that is. ;)

Forbidden Island likes this.
  14. TheYodaPagoda

Apr 23, 2002
    I wholeheartedly understand any reluctance to post edited reviews, but I think the standard was "Official Info" and I honestly can't remember if I knew about Mustafar before ROTS.

I just realized this movie came out almost 10 years ago! I was just a wee lad of 29, but I'll be 40 before TFA opens.

hippie1kenobi, Chris_Fives and EHT like this.
  15. Skywalkin'

Skywalkin' Jedi Master

May 23, 2013
    I don't read reviews. I don't see the purpose. I do read critiques afterward if I think a movie is especially interesting, both for films I love and those I hate. A critique is an actual starting point for discussions and analysis.

16. TheYodaPagoda

Apr 23, 2002
    One review that stays with me is the one for Prometheus. I had Facebook friends left and right saying they didn't like the movie at all, but Roger Ebert (a critic I really respected) praised and gave the movie four stars. I figured, that was enough for me, and I went to see it, and definitely agreed with Ebert's assessment. Did I agree with Ebert 100%? No, but any movie he put his stamp of approval on was fine with me.

17. Mr. Crumb

Mr. Crumb Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 31, 2013
    I'd like to say I will steer clear of reviews until after seeing the film for myself...but I know that's not going to be the case.

18. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I'll try hard not to. I'll try to see the thing (multiple times) before there are too many reviews out there.

19. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    I don't think reviews count as official info b/c they don't come directly from Lucasfilm/starwars.com. could be wrong.

20. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    No reviews for me, I plan to go into the midnight showing cold turkey.

21. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Right, reviews are not official. What we're discussing is what determines which parts of a review should be edited out and which parts would be left, in order to make that review "spoiler-free".

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Easy: "Star Wars: The Force Awakens [edited], and [edited]. [eeeedited]. 4/5"
    ;)

23. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Not at all. I mean at some point I'm going to have to stay off the internet completely, other than what I have to do, because of the amount of articles that will be written about it and showing up everywhere.

Forbidden Island likes this.
  24. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I'll admit to playimg with fire by still skimming some of the SA threads, but I certainly don't want to read another's opinion on the film before I see it. That seems more damaging to me than knowing plot point A or the look of vehicle B

25. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    I wont read any reviews. But I will look at RT. If it is sitting below what I was expecting that will help me temper my enthusiasm and will probably enjoy it more because I wont expect it to be perfect. If it is at what I expect (80+) It will increase my excitement.

Dewback likes this.