main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The unpopularity and the negativity towards the PT: are people seriously missing out?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SW Saga Fan, Apr 22, 2015.

1. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I think you mean love to hate.

Saga Explorer and KenW like this.
  2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Some do what's trendy, true. However it's dangerous and false to lump all of those that like the PT less as haters or bandwagoners. I'm not one. I don't like PT much simply because it doesn't mesh/read well or appeal much. That's why I focus on Dooku, he's the best thing in 2. :D

TX-20 and Force Smuggler like this.
  3. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    The PT has always been a mix bag for me.

On one hand I grew up loving the PT as a kid and having a lot of nostalgia for the films. Plus, I don't really think there as bad of movies as people say they are.

But on the other hand I do prefer the OT, as I personally think there just better movies. TPM and AOTC I especially think have heavy flaws such as the terrible love scenes in AOTC.

However, I do admit I've been getting into the PT era lately, just love a lot the events that happen in this era such as the Clone Wars. Plus, the PT does really remind me of my child hood and as I've said before I've become more of a saga fan recently.

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    While I obviously agree that people aren't "missing out" if they genuinly don't like something, a huge part of the "missing out" around the prequels is that a lot of people probably wouldn't dislike them if they gave them a chance.
    What I mean is that there is such negativity surrounding the prequels that a lot of people are determined to hate them, because that's the opinion one is "supposed" to have.

Let me give you an example:
    A few years ago, I was having a beer with a colleague. He's a self-proclaimed cineaste, and he works in the film industry. At one point I made an off-hand remark that I like the prequels. He laughed and called me something akin to a "sheep" since I obviously like anything bearing the name Star Wars (how else could I like that tripe?) After a few minutes of debating, it turns out he's never seen a Star Wars film. Not one.
    But being that interested in movies as he was, he just knew the prequels were bad.
    And he's hardly alone in this. A lot of people never gave the prequels a chance, because they already knew they were bad films. Another friend of mine - old school Star Wars fanboy - skipped ROTS because he just knew it was gonna be terrible. I finally convinced him to watch it with me, and he quietly admitted to loving it - about a year later, when he had gotten over the popular opinion.

So yeah, a lot of people are missing out on the prequels. If the prequels stopped being a running joke on every film/pop culture/humour site on the web, I'm sure a lot more people would like them.
    Of course, a lot of people genuinly don't care for/hate them - and that's perfectly fine too!

KenW, Valairy Scot and Iron_lord like this.
  5. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    It is each viewer's choice what they like and intake. Continually trying to force them to change by proers' own negativity doesn't help anything. It's not a crime to disagree people. Nor is all 'group think' buy in like a select bunch keep stating as fact. Some but hardly *all*.

6. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    I'll say they're missing out. They're missing out on being able to enjoy a full range of characters. Awkward teenagers who don't like sand and like smooth things should apparently banned from all existence, as well as the existence of clumzy aliens. Obvious stop motion aliens are fine to them, but not state of the art computer animated ones. That's missing out. Black and white good vs evil are fine, but not complex political machinations. And the good guys must always be pure good, apparently. I'd say they're also missing out on all the layers of the OT, since they tend to ignore any aspects of the PT that already existed in the OT, such as anti-establishment warnings.

7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't disagree with you. Everyone likes what they like, and that's a good thing. But you can't deny that there is a strong force in popular opinion - peer pressure certainly exists when it comes to what's "cool", or "acceptable" (or whatever) to like.
    I'm certainly not saying that everyone would like the prequels if it weren't for popular opinion (how the hell would that opinion have gotten popular in the first place?). What I'm saying is that some people would. And those people are missing out. Like my friend that I mentioned - he was missing out thanks to popular opinion, since he did like ROTS once he finally saw it.

Andy Wylde and KenW like this.
  8. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    I completely agree with you on that.

To that regard (general story and issues), those movies have been way underestimated by most of the critics and reviewers, if not by some scholars. Probably, as often, the Space-Opera genre and "Sci-Fi" elements have played a part, genre which is still commonly regarded, even today, by most "top critics" and publications, as non serious and naive juvenile shlock of lowly origins....

I was personally baffled and perplexed when I saw how most of the critics at the time (1999, 2002, 2005) were simply ignoring, and sometimes mocking, the insightful political and moral aspects of the general arc (the rise, path, eventual corruption and fall of a young promising prodigy, at a time of political decaying and impending devastating war. Which will eventually lead to the crumbling of democracy, freedom, justice, and military order). Not even 5 lines in average in the few reviews I read back then....Even though they are just movies and cinematic work, where, by definition, visuals, entertainment, and acting tend to get to the forefront. Not speaking of the cult status of the 3 originals, or the business/merchandising phenomenon which seems to have been the main interest and concern of many professional reviewers and mass media. At least here in France (except for the notable exception of Positif's famous critic/lecturer Pierre Berthomieu).

As you, and many others have mentioned, this story has clearly strong resonance and awesome parralels with some of mankind's History periods (ancient Roma and French Revolution/ First Empire, Johnson's and Nixon's presidency and the Viet-Nam war in the US etc...Even the early days of the Soviet Union by some aspects.).

That's clearly something Lucas was deeply interested in and keen on, when he started crafting and envisioning the OT's backstory/first trilogy in the mid 70's. And later in 1992-1993, when the time had come to tackle the detailed arc and scripts of the now "prequels".

Regarding the execution and the final cinematic result, especially compared to the OT, that's another debate. You'll always find pros and cons. Even among the Star Wars aficionados.

SW Saga Fan likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't mind the political aspects, maybe even enjoyed them, but if it got negative reception...maybe it's because it's not what people were looking for or they don't enjoy that sort of thing?

10. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    People are swayed by choice and subconsciously. It isn't inherently wrong by itself. Many like 'popular' not my thing but whatever. Still some act like that's *all* that's in play. It *isn't*.

I find it strange that oft those that gripe about those that prefer OT or EU never give PT a chance likewise treat those same people as the *same*. We aren't. Many legitimately don't like PT just as that some do. Good. It is NOT for the same reasons nor is it wrong.

sonnyleesmith likes this.
  11. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    Right, but what's wrong with Lucas finding an audience that did enjoy that sort of thing? People seem to think that was the wrong thing to do, but why?

Andy Wylde and Valairy Scot like this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I never said it was the wrong thing to do. As I've said in the past, I think people were thrown for a loop by the trilogies having such a different feel, and when they have said as much, they are told either "the trilogies are not different, you just weren't paying attention" or "you don't understand Lucas' art."

So...it's not that Lucas was "wrong," but people who dislike what he did are not "wrong" either.

TX-20 and only one kenobi like this.
  13. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    Honestly, I think it's more than some. Popular opinion is shaped by the media. It's no secret that at least half of all people don't construct their own opinions, but rather go on reputation and perception. Experts on classical music think Stradivarius violins sound better, but when blindfolded, they can't tell the difference. To get consistently good reviews, you just have to control public perception of you, the way Disney does. Most people don't like Lucas types, who don't go out of their way woo their favor. It makes people feel secure.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    The trilogies are different parts of the same story, so they are different. The story doesn't repeat. They might understand Lucas, but might not care, since as you said, they just wanted the same type of story. Where I think that's wrong is that in order to tell the same kind of story for 1-3, it would require heavy, heavy retconning. How could he do that? And why? How is it possible that he could have given people the same kind of feeling as with the OT, given what we knew even from the OT itself about the PT period? It would have to be a reboot or reimagining that would not at all lead into the OT story.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I rest my case.

16. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Probably, as it is almost non-existent in the OT. It remains completely in the background. The only real "political" scene I can think of is general Tagge/Tarkin dialog in ANH, especially when the later enters the Death Star's conference room with Vader ("The Senate will soon be of no concern to us gentlemen....").

That said, the political aspects are not so overwhelming in the PT. But there is sure a lot more political plotting (Palpatine's scheme, corruption growing, Palpy vs the Jedi in ROTS). However the main focus remains Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi's adventures, the Jedi vs the Sith, and of course Anakin's journey and eventual fall along with the love story.

17. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I've always just viewed the PT as meant to represent a grander, more romantic era. It represented a time when things (at least on the surface) had order, and the Jedi were in their heyday and were well-trained. Lucas has said as much.
    Also, it's important to note that most of the main characters we see in the PT are Jedi or politicians who dress, speak and act more elegantly-as elegantly as we see from those characters of that type that also appear in the OT. Its main characters are not a bunch of back-galaxy, ragtag smugglers, farmers and drifters, like the OT. It's a different environment/walk of life, and a more peaceful (read less war-torn) era, when the Republic still existed and democracy and diplomacy was still believed in to maintain peace.

I will admit that there are parts where the dialogue is weak, and certain scenes that are acted badly are IMO due mainly to that. But IMO there are also plenty of scenes executed wonderfully that make up for those moments. Anakin confessing to killing the Tuskens, Mustafar (I still get a chill every time I see a dismembered Darth Vader lying on the ground screaming "I HATE YOU!!!" with all the disgust and rage he can muster; I'd challenge ANY other actor to do that scene better!)

The thing I like the most is the beautiful scenery, locations, and certain battle/fight scenes. One cannot deny, the PT has some of the most breathtaking and immersing environments and action sequences: Naboo, The podrace, Kamino, the battle of Geonosis, the environment on Mustafar, even Coruscant. There's nothing else like it!

I'm actually looking forward to seeing the kind of atmosphere and overall feel the ST creates, both storywise and visually. It would be great to have three trilogies, each with their own themes and feel.

18. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Not meaning to get too nitpicky on you (though you're the one that flagged the user's wording up), but it is possible they actually intended what they wrote: hate to hate. That is, people do a thing, just because they can; or because a sense of unquenchable tedium is worse. Ergo... Hate to hate. Hate to fill a void. Hate as a cover for boredom.

Bertrand Russell had some rather profound musings on that matter:

http://www.brainpickings.org/2015/01/21/bertrand-russell-boredom-conquest-of-happiness/

Some interesting observations in this thread; which I might like to say a bit more about. I can see how the opening question is a bit contentious, but why ask a totally non-contentious one? ;)

In brief, I think there are all manner of cool things in Star Wars that people are (arguably) missing out on; but you can't easily convince people of what those things are or that they even exist.

People tend to see what they want to see, like what they want to like, believe what they want to believe. From the most trivial to the most serious of matters. In that sense, we are, alas, all missing out on things, constantly, every last moment of our lives.

But what makes your question quite relevant -- in my eyes -- is the fact that so many people (in "fan" communities) have chosen to fight against the prequels; rather than accept them or look at them from a different angle. Can't help but think they are rather missing out... badly.

But, you know, this is just my opinion. And I might come back later and pick up on some other comments.

19. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Fortunately, there are some newer viewers who has never seen any of the Star Wars movies before who actually like the prequels, despite the fact there's a lot of negativity on the internet. Some "newer" Star Wars fans as him, below, shared their opinion about the PT and it is generally positive:

20. NATIONALGREATNESS

NATIONALGREATNESS Jedi Master star 1

Dec 24, 2006
    I have said this a million times before, but it remains true so I'll repeat it. The internet is a wonderful thing. However, the genuine fact that not all websites and forums are strictly moderated (like TFN thankfully is, which is why it's a good place) means that all over websites, a bunch of sad, pathetic excuses for human beings - most of which are likely cowardly teenage bullies or sad middle aged men or women hiding behind a screen - are free to express vitriolic hyperbolic nonsense about things they know NOTHING about. Hence the continued racism and sexism on the net. Hence the juvenile kind of PT bashing. Hence the abusive, horrible, bullying behaviour displayed by some that has led to teenagers committing suicide.

And there are those who are surprised when I sometimes, just sometimes really support the policies of the Galactic Empire. At least they believed in order and refused to tolerate a barbaric terrorist rebellion. Just playing devil's advocate, but I think it's a valid point.

In all seriousness, what the internet needs is not strict policing, but simply good moderation and no tolerance for any kind of hate mongering.

Keep in mind also that I'm not a PT gusher. I genuinely prefer most of the OT, not because some bully on the net told me to but because it's how I personally feel. Equally, I don't bash the PT and I like many things about it, especially ROTS.

That's the other key: Have the mindfulness to be aware of whether you are basing your opinions off how you actually feel (which you should) or simply off what someone else says (which means you're a moron).

Cryogenic and JoshieHewls like this.
  21. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015

^:)^

I agree totally with this.

I have become a fan after watching AOTC in 2002 and for me prequels has more importance in my life because I have an emotional connection with them. Anticipation for first ep III trailer, seeing the movie 10 times in the cinema etc.. I didnt have it with OT.

People can bash them all they want but for me, PT was a part of my growing up and I still prefer to watch them than the OT. But that doesn't mean I have to bash OT die hard fans.. People need to start respecting others point of view...

22. sonnyleesmith

sonnyleesmith Jedi Master star 2

Apr 29, 2014
    So wait, did you just equate not liking the PT to cyber bullying, sexism, racism and teenage suicide? Then finished your post calling people morons? Did that just happen?

TX-20 likes this.
  23. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  24. NATIONALGREATNESS

Dec 24, 2006
    Edited: Double post.

25. NATIONALGREATNESS

Dec 24, 2006
    No. Also, I'm not an overly defensive PT gusher, or a PT gusher at all. There are plenty of things I dislike about the PT, and I have no interest in sucking up to anyone, especially rich film directors. Equally, there are also plenty of things I do like about the PT, and I think childish bashing of something one knows nothing about is pathetic, so for that reason I'm not a PT basher either. I consider myself completely individual in my tastes, and I have zero interest in conforming to any group, be it OT, PT, or anything else. And to be blunt, I'd ask you to please read things more carefully - you made a huge assumption in your post, likely based, considering the demographics around here, on the overly defensive attitude of some extremist PT fans. I resent being compared to any group which defines itself as a group and has no value for individuality.

If you read my post carefully, you'll see that what I am referring to has nothing to do with liking or disliking anything. What I am referring to is the utter idiocy and despicable trolling which takes place on nearly every part of the internet about something or other, including Star Wars. I'm talking about the jackasses who sent threatening emails to Lucas's children, if that is actually true. I'm talking about making dumb blanket statements and the completely pathetic lowlife stupidity of groupthink, and the internet, a place supposedly intended for freedom of expression, civilised discourse and debate, and individual expression, being reduced to another zone for all the stupid humans who act like animals. The humans who don't think for themselves, but just follow whatever is the majority at a given time. And this applies across the board to EVERYTHING. It most certainly is not only related to the phenomenon of PT bashing.

The 'people' (who don't really deserve to be called humans) whom I am attacking here are not being attacked or vilified for simply disliking anything. I am attacking a hive mentality of vicious, despicable, cowardly hatred perpetrated by bullies and thugs the world over. Of course it's not wrong to dislike the PT. Any individual absolutely has the right to like or dislike anything they wish, and that is never wrong. What IS wrong, however, is to troll about it; to flame others for liking it and call them idiots. To crush all dissenting viewpoints, and for no moderation to even EXIST on most of the places where trolls go. Trolling of this kind is wrong no matter what it is related to. It shouldn't be tolerated. But it is, and so on some parts of the internet, a whole culture of jerks and bullies has taken to bashing anyone who doesn't dislike the PT. And that is truly stupid and should not be tolerated. Where's the freedom of expression when a tyrannical majority is allowed to control everything? Again, this is coming from me, and I'm not a PT gusher at all - I'm happy to criticise many aspects of the films and their execution. I still hold that the ROTS novel was a million miles better than the film. I still think some of the lines given were ridiculous. But, and this is the crucial difference, I engage in civilised discourse with others of different opinions, and I would never bash or flame the PT simply for existing or being different. It's perfectly possible to dislike aspects of something without acting like a jerk about it.

As for calling 'people' morons, I was actually talking about mentality, and how one's mentality defines their intellect. This is what I said:

And I firmly believe it is true. If one doesn't question one's self, self reflect, and ask one's self seriously whether one's opinions are one's own, or one is simply trying to fit in with some idiotic majority of unthinking sheep, then how is one even human at all, except physically? To be human is to use one's mind. Without it, one is no more than a beast.