main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ultimate Star Wars

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darklordoftech, Feb 10, 2015.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Cool, thank you!

Do any other Rebel warships get an entry? I'm curious is the Corellian Corvette is still Corellian and what it might say about the Neb-B frigate.

Looks like I may be picking this up...

--Adm. Nick

2. chris1982

chris1982 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2015
    darthosaka and Iron_lord like this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Always loved the "every Rebel in the galaxy" bit from the ROTJ novel. Just shows you how tiny and unrepresentative the Rebellion really was.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

WMIRTUTSF and darklordoftech like this.
  4. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Is there anything about the Massassi?

5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Or at least how few had access to spaceships and where actually part of the Alliance ;)

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Or how much the movie makers were skimping. We don't exactly see an armada of ships stretching beyond the limits of vision.

7. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Only among this fandom could some of the biggest and most well orchestrated composite effects in cinema history be called "skimping".

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    When compared to the later scenes with about a dozen MC80s or more, the fact that we only see about three in the "going to lightspeed" shot is a bit odd. Still, it's true that what we get is very well done.

Jedi Knight Fett and darthosaka like this.
  9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, I don't want to be too harsh on them or anything - but I do prefer headcanoning that the "real" Battle of Endor was larger than what we saw onscreen, as opposed to attempts to explain why it didn't involve as many ships as it "should" have.

10. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Just checked this book out at my local B&N and I gotta say, editorial errors and all, this book really is gorgeous. Stunning, even. I'm still thinking about holding out until September to see what that version entails (if there is indeed a September version), but it will be a hard wait.

Taalcon likes this.
  11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, same here. I'm seriously considering saying "ah the hell with that" and just getting the current version.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sure, I would read Rebel as "official member of the Rebel Alliance" as opposed to generic dissident. Still. Tiny!

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

13. LittleDefel

LittleDefel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 17, 2012
    I received mine this morning. Pretty weak on the cantina characters unfortunately.

14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The San Hill wook page says he's now from Scipio.

What crap is this? I'm crying on your shoulder Genndy. Ok maybe it's like your CW DVD and I'm more like staring at it than crying, but let's not bandy semantics.

15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Now I'm imagining a bunch of Rebel soldiers helplessly crammed in every hallway of every warship, looking out the windows as the battle went on. :p

CaptainPeabody, Riv_Shiel and Vthuil like this.
  16. Silly_Dan

Silly_Dan Jedi Master star 1

Aug 17, 2005
    The Tantive IV is the only one to get an entry -- it's "an Alderaan cruiser of Corellian manufacture." It's not listed as appearing in ROTS, so that's still a different ship, even though ROTS's Captain Antilles is identified with the character in ANH.

There's also an entry on the Nebulon-B, which is still a KDY product, used in a variety of capacities by the Rebels.

Also, darklordoftech -- since you asked about the Massassi, they are mentioned as an extinct slave race once ruled by the Sith, and as the builders of the Yavin IV ruins, and that's it.

17. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    That's quite a lot, actually.

darklordoftech and Iron_lord like this.
  18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Aside from "once ruled by the Sith" - that comes right out of the ANH novelization. Perhaps the novels are very mineable.

Maybe Needa will even be at the Battle of Coruscant again?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The ANH novelization never says that they were a slave race, nor does say that they were called "Massassi".

darthosaka likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe I'm thinking of the comic, or Star Wars Poster Monthly? I'm pretty sure that the word "Massassi" was used very early on.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The screenplay used the term "Massassi Outpost", but the novelization didn't.

darthosaka likes this.
  22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That might explain it.

23. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
  24. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Any info on Clegg Holdfasts' species? Is it still Nosaurian and from New Plympto?

darthosaka likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It does drop some interesting hints about their technology, and aspirations to spaceflight, though:

It shone like an emerald in Yavin's necklace of moons, rich with plant and animal life. But it was not listed among those worlds supporting human settlements. Yavin was located too far from the settled regions of the galaxy.
    Perhaps the latter reason, or both, or a combination of causes still unknown had been responsible for whatever race had once risen from satellite four’s jungles, only to disappear quietly long before the first human explorer set foot on the tiny world.
    Little was known of them save that they left a number of impressive monuments, and that they were one of the many races which had aspired to the stars only to have their desperate reach fall short.
    Now all that remained were the mounds and foliage-clad clumps formed by jungle-covered buildings. But thought they had sunk back into the dust, their artifacts and their world continued to serve an important purpose.
    Strange cries and barely perceptible moans sounded from every tree and copse; hoots and growls and strange mutterings issued from creatures content to remain concealed in the dense undergrowth. Whenever dawn broke over moon the fourth, heralding one of its long days, an especially feral chorus of shrieks and weirdly modulated screams would resound through the thick mist.
    Even stranger sounds surged continually from one particular place. Here lay the most impressive of those edifices, which a vanished race had raised toward the heavens. It was a temple, a roughly pyramidal structure so colossal that it seemed impossible it could have been built without the aid of modern gravitonic construction techniques. Yet all evidence pointed only to simple machines, hand technology— and, perhaps, devices alien and long lost.
    While the science of this moon’s inhabitants had led them to a dead end as far as offworld travel was concerned, they had produced several discoveries which in certain ways surpassed similar Imperial accomplishments—one of which involved a still unexplained method of cutting and transporting gargantuan blocks of stone from the crust of the moon.
    From these monstrous blocks of solid rock, the massive temple had been constructed. The jungle had scaled even its soaring crest, clothing it in rich green and brown. Only near its base, in the temple front, did the jungle slide away completely, to reveal a long, dark entrance cut by its builders and enlarged to suit the needs of the structure’s present occupants.
    A tiny machine, its smooth metal sides and silvery hue incongruous amidst the all-pervasive green, appeared in the forest. It hummed like a fat, swollen beetle as it conveyed its cluster of passengers toward the open temple base. Crossing a considerable clearing, it was soon swallowed up by the dark maw in the front of the massive structure, leaving the jungle once more in the paws and claws of invisible squallers and screechers.
    The original builders would never have recognized the interior of their temple.