main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion 2015 Fanfic Resolutions

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Dec 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    As Cushy has singular focus wiring, I will likely work on Emerging from Shadows for 2015. Odds are low it will be completed for years though.

It's in the air if I'll do my Original Tribute for Sir at all now. :(

2. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    1. Finish my entry for the 2009 (yes, that is correct--2009) diary challenge.
    2. That is all.

3. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    As far as resolutions go, I would like to finish the two diaries I'm keeping for the DDC.

I would also like to finish all of the fics I started in 2014 and didn't get to finishing. I'll still write new material in 2015. But for every new fic, I want to get that much closer to finishing my 2014 multiparters.

4. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    Adding on to my previous resolution: start and finish the three fics I promised as prizes for people on Tumblr, if possible one every few weeks to a month. I really want to be timely in getting those to the winners so I don't feel like a flake.

While working on my other WIPs, of course.

5. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Briannakin Is it acceptable to post status updates on our goals in this thread? e.g. I'm doing good on this goal, I'm behind already on that one, etc?

Cushing's Admirer and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I have nothing against it, but it's a bit of tradition to come back at the end of the year to see what you have/have not accomplished.

Chyntuck likes this.
  7. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I like the idea of keeping the thread at least semi-active throughout the year. Each time it pops up, we have a chance to review our own resolutions, judge how we're doing, and give ourselves a pat on the back or a kick in the butt as appropriate (probably the latter most of the time :p).

In other words, seeing it frequently would remind us to work toward our goals, rather than being "out of sight, out of mind". :)

Chyntuck, Kahara and Force Smuggler like this.
  8. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    ^^^ That was my idea. Not to post every other day, obviously, but come back here every couple of months and see how we're doing. And then of course add some version of "I failed abysmally" in January 2016 :p

jcgoble3 and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  9. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm okay with it just being every few months when you have completed a goal or something. I just don't think CONSTANT updates on progress is necessary (in this thread at least).

Chyntuck likes this.
  10. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    You're such an optimist, Bri. I was thinking of writing here the goals I failed to even get started on :p

Ewok Poet and jcgoble3 like this.
  11. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I am pretty sure I completed two of seven in January already. :)

Nyota's Heart and jcgoble3 like this.
  12. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Okay. The first quarter of 2015 has gone by, and it's a public holiday in Greece today, so let's hang out here a bit and see how I have been doing so far.
    1. I've had a few disruptions, but I'm on track, provided that DRL doesn't interfere too often until the end of the year. I could use another Word Race though.
    2. N/A
    3. I failed to do so in January already (!) I managed in February, but in March the Fanon Thread is locked due to a technical glitch, so here I am with my fanon post, all dressed up and ready to go... :(
    4. I participated in a challenge in January-February, and right now I have three challenges on my plate, one of which is due by the end of April. So far, so good.
    5. Ha. I didn't write a single line word of original fiction since January. Fanfic is taking over my life.
    1. Partial success. The Awards nominations were a good opportunity to read different things and I managed to read all the stories that were nominated in Before/Saga. But DRL laid a siege when I was getting started on the Beyond stories, so for some I read only the excerpts. I still have them on my reading list though [face_blush]
    2. Partial success again. I read three TOR fics, which has to count for something, but I didn't play KOTOR yet. Hopefully that will happen before December 2015.
    3. Yes! I'm reading four already [face_dancing] and I'm about to add a fifth one. The only problem is that I often feel the need to re-read them from the beginning every time I catch up.
    4. My inner lurker is a devious thing. It took advantage of the fact that DRL was clobbering me to make me read fics without reviewing them, but I will catch up. *gives her inner lurker an angry look*

All in all, given the circumstances, I'm not doing too bad. I'll be back at the end of June :)

Nyota's Heart, Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  13. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Update from me:

1. So far, so good. :D *knocks on wood*
    2. Fic-gift and the spawn of an autocorrect fail. :p Running total: 2,810 words, which puts me ahead of pace for the year. :D
    3. Nothing yet.
    4. N/A until November.
    5. Muse is stuck on fanfic. [face_dunno]

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  14. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Well, second quarter update, I wrote something. A couple of somethings. La-la-la and so forth...

Kahara, Ewok Poet, jcgoble3 and 2 others like this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

I am a huge fan of those somethings, just so you know. :)

For example, this is something I cannot do. I have to talk! The only stories I end up not commenting on - provided that I did read them to begin with - are those where I feel my comments are not wanted/could cause the author to get angry and where I absolutely don't understand what I read.

As for me...the first quarter update:

1. Familiarize myself with all the games being held and take part.

I am a regular in the round robin and the writer's block threads, I took part in the poetry challenge; I have an idea for both the movie quote and writer's block challenge.

2. Read more.

Still not happy with my pace, but yeah, I'm reading more.

3. Grasp the concept of RPG, as I vaguely understand that people play characters but I don't get anything else.

Still don't understand the part with dice. :(

4. Participate in the fanon thread.

I have drafts. Hope the thread raises from dead.

5. Develop my OC and see what to do with her.

This was about Luufi, aka my favourite couple's daughter. I did not expect more, but I developed her older adopted brother, her cousin/aunt/friend, her rivals...and then, suddenly, I had an idea for a whole set of human characters. Oh, and there is also Pollo, as far as I'm concerned, he's an OC and he's DA BOMBAD.

6. Complete my current long fic at some point and perhaps find somebody to illustrate it.

I assume I will be done by the end of April (would like to either finish this one on April 26th or to start the next one, because that date is important), as I have more time to write at the moment. I already have the plot outline for its sequel, which is a very, very disturbing one.

7. Become actual friends with some people on this subforum.

Allay loo ta nuv!

16. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    You don't need dice for an RPG. Check out some of the games in the Role Playing Forum; most of them don't use dice. :)

17. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Update on my progress (or lack thereof), since it's now nearly mid-year:

What's actually happening:

1 - I'm putting all other projects on hold to work on this, so I'm cautiously optimistic that it can be accomplished. Did have a month of late updates recently, but other than that I've been sticking with it.
    2 - Not going to happen, though I wish it could and am embarrassed because I said I would do this no matter what. [face_blush] But it's just not happening this year if I'm going to do any justice to my 2015 diary -- or indeed, get anything done at all.
    3 - Postponed for another year.
    4 - Posted a 3-part story, so not too bad. :)

One thing I've discovered is that I'm having trouble working on any one thing because of all the other projects that I "should be" working on instead. So for this year I'm narrowing my focus down to one story. That and reviewing other works is enough of a challenge!

Chyntuck, jcgoble3 and Ewok Poet like this.
  18. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    March update

May update:

1. Still on track, except that I've only written all of two posts since the last update. Fortunately, this is a bit of a slow time in the plot, so I can deal with it. In a couple months, though, the pace of the plot will pick up, and the frequency of posts will need to do the same.
    2. Still stuck on the previous total. I've had too many distractions to write more than the aforementioned two RPG posts.
    3. Still nothing, and not looking likely at this point.
    4. N/A until November.
    5. Nothing. I've got nothing.

What I need here is a swift kick in the butt. :p

Chyntuck likes this.
  19. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    May update:

Wrote another couple of things...deleted one (as far as anything can be delete anything around here)...seriously considering giving up writing fanfic again.

20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

Don't! You have readers who adore your work...e.g. me. ^:)^[:D]

Also, I meant to comment on that deleted vignette by the end of this week and now it's gone. :(

leiamoody, Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  21. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    jcgoble3

[​IMG]

EDIT
    Same here :(

22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    NO WAY. I WANTED TO KICK HIM. I was looking for the Woody Woodpecker episode where Woody stands on Sicilia and Italy gives him the boot. It does not make sense in this context, but IT IS AWESOME.

23. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    leiamoody, hope this comment doesn't feel like a guilt-trip. It's not meant to be one -- I'm aware that posting can be an anxiety train and no one but you can decide whether you're feeling secure enough to share things. (Okay, I may be projecting my own feelings/motivations here re: anxiety and apologize if that's so.) But I think I should say that I really enjoy reading your stories here. I hope that you'll stick around -- or eventually come back to posting even if you need some time to re-center. I say congrats for writing the "couple of things."

24. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Feel free. The more kicks the better. ;)

Kahara likes this.
  25. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Hey there! With the year over half over, time to check on how your resolutions are coming along! Here's mine:

March update
    May update

July update:

1. Reasonably on track, with two posts in the past two weeks. But the plot is racing toward a final conclusion, and I need to pick up the pace. There will be times that I need to do multiple posts in a week, which will be challenging, and in my last post, procrastination forced me to do an important scene as a flashback instead of telling it directly. I need to avoid that going forward.
    2. Still at 2,810, and that will stay there until my RPG plot is finished in around six to eight weeks. After that, I'm going to put the RPG on the back burner and work on some serious pure fanfic.
    3. Still nothing, and again will have to wait until the RPG plot is complete.
    4. N/A until November.
    5. Looking like this is going to be a failure. :(

Ewok Poet and skygawker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.