main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends "Human heritage" (The ancient conflict between the dark side & the light side of the Force)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by AzureAngel2, Sep 6, 2013.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Oh my ending with a cliffie. What's happening to Isabeau?

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  2. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    @SWpants: The dark side blinds a person´s judgement. It is a bit like the famous mirror the snow queen possesses in the original fairy tale of Hans Christian Anderson. It is no excuse for his actions. Just a side explanation.

@Nyota's Heart: The mind of a witch hunter is withered and twisted. Believe me, I read the whole "Malleus Maleficarum", the infamous Witch Hammer, once. Back in school I had a wonderful teacher for Catholic Education who made us investigate the past of our faith. I read a lot of books that made me re-think a lot of things actually.

@Lady_Misty: Life can be that way. Experienced that myself more than once! Still do.

@earlybird-obi-wan: Okay, it is 2:30 am now. I have a busy Witsun weekend still and will not be on-line the next days.

See you all next weekend and hope you find this update. Plus the other one in fanfic. And I hope you can find the time to like what you read and/ or see. Perhaps even comment on it.

Thousand of questions are on my troubled mind as I hurry through the night with the ducal guard. But I keep them to myself. More stupidity on my behalf will not help to keep Isabeau alive. I need to restore her honour, her former status as the adopted daughter of Count Ankou. A death mark is not an easy burden to live with.

My thoughts about honour and respect plunge me into the void again. The very place I should not be:

There is no honour in the things that I do to Grianán. I am under no illusion about that. She does not have the freedom to move or to speak. All she can do is listen and to suffer in silence. The potion enhances her perception of my words. It makes her believe my empty threats. I have to exploit that. There is still a spark of defiance in her that needs to be extinguished.

“Bones are, by their very structure, hard to burn,” I tell her. “They are impossible to pulverize. But do not worry. I can cauterize the wounds for you. You won’t bleed out.”

I remember an old hurt of mine, also of hers. It is a small crime to use it against her, but I have no choice. Her limbs will mortify if she does not give in soon. The words burst out of me with immense strength.

“Can you remember the stench of Polysýndeton after the Force storm? Or have you forgotten all about it, egoistic as you Force witches are?”

It amazes me how much lachrymal fluid her eyes can produce. I have given her no food or drink for the past twenty-four hours, but her soul contains so much water.

“Your tears have no power over me. Those days are gone. They will never return.”

My ire has always enhanced my Force skills. With it I can navigate in the dark. It has led me to lonely decisions. But now, I do not care to continue my life as a loner any longer. It is her that I want. How can she fail to realize that?

“If I want to kill something, I do not hesitate. Be grateful that I still have kind feelings for you. But we do need to shed your filthy skin, I am afraid. You are very impure and unworthy.”

The area around her eyes is red and puffed. Yet she continues to shed new tears. There are limits to the body and mind. Why has she not reached them yet? Why is she so reluctant to offer me her capitulation?

Did Mórag alter her in some way? Or does she still cling to romantic ideas about me? Have I underestimated the feelings she has for me? I am flattered in a way, but do not show it.

“Stop indulging your sorrow. That does not suit you. I expect better from somebody who is trained in the Way of the Warrior. Be glad that Isabeau is not here to witness your disgrace. Wetting yourself, throwing up and crying endlessly. My poor step-sister. She deserves better from a student of hers, don’t you think?”

All emotion carries knowledge, or so I was taught. The light of rage can be used in a positive way. It helps me to see into places that usually remain as blind spots to me. The delicate layers of Grianán’s psyche are at my disposal.

“All her wisdom and skill wasted on an unworthy being like you. Look at you! You are so pathetic.”

If I could be honest, I would admit that her bravado is extremely astonishing. But there is a protocol to keep to.

At my arrival at the passenger hall I find Isabeau lying in her own blood. For some reason Ruadhan and Skylt are also there, but I ignore them for now.

“Move it!” I shout. “My sister needs privacy. Everybody out.”

I take my gloves off, but the familiar glow of healing Force powers does not show. Another valuable gift of mine is gone. The bad timing is appalling.

“I did warn you, did I not?” I spit out, regretting that my inability to heal Isabeau will be her undoing. She should not be here, nor should I. “I ordered you to never come back home. You chose to disobey me. You were aware of the consequences.”

I bark more cruel things. I do not want to, but seeing her like this is unbearable. It is too much, and my anger and fear cannot prevent my harsh words. Lisére comes to mind and I cannot stop the tears coming forth.

Suddenly, my mother is there, screaming at me. “Luçien! Alezan forgave her!”

I see the light dying in Isabeau’s eyes.

“No!” I cry out, the word a seemingly endless sob.

I shake her body like a madman, but her soul is gone.

My mother dares to touch my shoulder.

“Be gone, you monster!” I snarl. “You will not devour her like my twin.”

“Luçien!” somebody addresses me gently, but it is not the woman who destroyed my life the very moment that I was born.

“Why are you always too late, father?” I yell. “Can’t you manage to be on time when it really matters?”

He does not answer, not verbally anyway. I huddle up in his arms like a distressed child. He lets me cry until there are no tears left.

“And now,” my father says, a smile swinging in his voice. “Be the healer that you always were meant to be. Be what Grianán needs you to be.”

I am dizzy when he lets go of me and presses a final kiss against my brow. All my questions, all my allegations vanish. He is right. This is not the time for self-pity or grief. Isabeau is gone, but Grianán is still in need of me.

“Fleur,” my father calls out. “Our son needs bandages to wrap Isabeau in for her final journey. Please hurry.”

(To be continued!)

Darth_Furio
    DarthUncle
    Darth Gangrenous

I hope that Ewok Poet, Hazel and others can be on-board soon! Kahara might join when I start the entire opus at the very beginning again.

3. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Yes Lucien be a healer and not someone consumed by the dark

AzureAngel2 and DarthUncle like this.
  4. DarthUncle

DarthUncle Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 20, 2005
    At times, it is extremely frustrating to read Lucien's self pity and drowning in what he did to the point that by himself he is sinking back into the dark, but on the other hand, anything easier wouldn't be believable - that's after all the path that has led him, already long ago, early in his life, to the darkness anyway. The change is that now he manages to accept actions and words of help in getting him out into the light again. So, even his father did come to his rescue (by helping save Grianan - not that being a better father might not have been a better result all around, but it is something).

I guess that with Grianan so hurt, healing her will be a hard task, I hope both of them are up for it, wish them luck.

AzureAngel2 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  5. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    My thoughts about honour and respect plunge me into the void again. The very place I should not be:

I agree. It's a super bad place for him.

“Stop indulging your sorrow. That does not suit you. I expect better from somebody who is trained in the Way of the Warrior.

I'm going to kick you in your teeth. Horrible creature.

“I did warn you, did I not?” I spit out, regretting that my inability to heal Isabeau will be her undoing. She should not be here, nor should I. “I ordered you to never come back home. You chose to disobey me. You were aware of the consequences.”

Oh yes, because it's 100% her fault she was injured.
    See how abusive he is?

Him yelling at his parents at this time though make sense. He's angry and emotional and is verbally lashing out. It's not right, but we all do it.

I'm glad his father has some common sense.

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Fascinating combination there of his dealings with Grianan in the first part and grief over Isabeau in the second. The lashing out is totally understandable. @};-

Darkness blinds your judgment & destroys all that it seeks to preserve. [face_thinking] You've shown that excellently throughout. :cool:

AzureAngel2 and Darth_Furio like this.
  7. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    After being lost in the darkness for so long it's so difficult to come back to that place where you made good decisions for the right reasons. It's that inner conflict and that is always judged by someone's own personal self control or lack thereof. I understand it too well and can see Lucien finally coming around with the right voice and motivation moving him forward. Beautiful Azure.

8. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Right now Lucien needs lots of emotional support.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  9. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @earlybird-obi-wan: Sometimes the dark is too strong to fight. I got my inspiration from songs like this:

And Lucien is a slow learner like me. Old (bad) habits die hard.

@DarthUncle: Dear husband, thanks for always understanding me, even if I am not an easy person to live with at times. And despite me having hobbies, that also cost you a lot of time & strength. Thanks for all the cooking, housekeeping, editing and making pictures when I begged for help & attention. You are a miracle! Plus you write very insightful comments! [face_love]

@SWpants: And I am glad that you are glad! :)

@Nyota's Heart: Thanks. I had some orientation points here though:

@Darth_Furio: You put that rather beautifully! Thanks for the entire comment! @};-

Lady_Misty: I fear he will not be too pampered after all that he pulled. I read very excellent fanfics around here that deal with Anakin, returning to the light side in one way or the other. For example "A Secret Ally: Scoundrel Trouble" by Falcon.

Okay, let us continue our journey:

I am not able to leave Isabeau behind when I arrive at the House of Healing. She must not remain alone, bound to an eopie. Knowing that I break the traditions of my people, I place her corpse over my shoulder and carry her with me.

Irmgard is on door duty still. Her gaze widens at the burden that I carry. With a shriek she attempts to close the door again, but I force myself in. “Please, I must see Grianán,” I beg.

“You should leave the princess alone if there is any decency left in you,” my former lover cries. “Your sheer touch could trigger the greatest nightmares in her.”

“But you do not know for sure,” I say, my voice small.

“You traumatized a psychic, Blödmann.” Her nostrils flare. “Stupid. Somebody who can read every surface she touches. You should have killed her off properly in that bedroom.”

“I feel that my love can save her.”

“You mix up love and obsession,” Irmgard snorts.

With a soft sigh, I reach inside my tunic, where I keep Grianán’s diary. “I have nothing to hide any longer. Please take this and read it.”

“I will not,” she fumes. But then she understands.

Gingerly, Irmgard takes the diary and presses it against her massive chest. Her special ability makes her realise what I cannot put into proper words.

After a while big tears roll over her cheeks. “Oh, Luçien, why did only her fall melt your heart? You are such a... a... Rindvieh!”

Cattle? Is that really the right word?”

“Rein mit dir! Aber schnell!” Irmgard hicks, propelling me inside. Come on in! But quick!

As I hurry towards the tea parlour, I try to feel Grianán in the Force. But I can only sense a bleak spot. This makes me more determined to restore the light that I extinguished.

“You bring death itself to the House of Healing?” my former master asks incredulously when I enter the room.

“I am death,” I answer. “And my work follows me everywhere. It did not disturb you before, did it now, Minou?”

There is more that I wish to say, but instead my burning gaze locks with Grianán’s. She is alive, her looks restored to frail beauty. But her spirit is far gone and burdend by terror.

As my gaze lingers on, I notice the cruel joke Minou poses on me.

My stomach does a complete flip-flop.

Grianán wears the red garments and bridal henna, which is normally applied one or three days before the wedding night. The stains must be allowed to mature and to deepen. The colour is manipulated with the Force.

I stare into grey eyes as my bride to be comes closer. Her hands reach out for me. No, not for me. For my dead step-sister.

I let Grianán enquire the fate of Isabeau with her sensible fingertips. Her face is as empty as an unfilled goblet as she plunges into the void. I cannot avoid getting sucked in. My mental shields are too weak.

Luçien takes his leather gloves off, throwing them on the ground. He looks at his hands and stretches his fingers.

I feel my lungs collapsing. If he continues, I will drown from the inside.

It is ironic. It will be the very death that I once have dreamt of, but never expected to happen like this. It is not a lake or the ocean that will kill me but my own blood. There is no dignity in it.

Luçien comes towards me very, very slowly. His voice is hoarse. “I did warn you, did I not?”

I notice something unexpected. He carries Grianán’s scent. That is impossible!

I sniff again, slowly and carefully.

It is indeed her scent. Underlining it I smell tears, urine and blood. All relatively fresh and tinged with fear. I look at Luçien in horror. What has he done to her?

“I ordered you to never come back home. You chose to disobey me.” He opens his arms. “You were aware of the consequences.”

Judging from the clean state of his boots, he just has come out of his ship, knowing nothing of his belated father’s decision.

Breathing becomes more painful and my thoughts are muddled. But I can still grasp that Grianán is here with him, here on Sapuhru. And even though she is badly hurt, she is alive. Death carries a different scent.

While Luçien rants on, I move one of my blood smeared hands away from my belly and towards my throat. After what feels like ages, my fingers cramp around the amulet that I am wearing.

Fleur sprints towards us. I smell her blind panic. My smile is genuine.

Luçien turns towards his mother.

I use all the strength that is left in me and attempt to tear the leather band from my neck. It hurts, but finally the leather violently bursts, leaving a deep cut in my neck.

“Luçien! Alezan forgave her!”

My hand sinks to my side.

Luçien leaps towards me. The very moment that he closes his arms around me the light in my eyes breaks.

“Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!”

I still hear him howling in pain and frustration when I am in between worlds. But I ignore him and move on. I leave it all behind me, including my precious message for Grianán. A message only she will be able to read.

Revenge will be mine after all.

(To be continued!)

Darth Gangrenous likes this.
  10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    =D= Very nice interweaving of the two POVs. And I can sympathize with Irmgard's incredulity about what melts Jucien's heart. :p

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  11. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Thanks, Nyota's Heart. I am glad that I do not confuse you at all by doing so. :)

12. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
  13. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Now it's coming all together

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  14. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
  15. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    I am not able to leave Isabeau behind when I arrive at the House of Healing. She must not remain alone, bound to an eopie.

Some sanity and compassion!

After a while big tears roll over her cheeks. “Oh, Luçien, why did only her fall melt your heart?

Because all sentients are weird when it comes to trigger us to do well.

It is indeed her scent. Underlining it I smell tears, urine and blood. All relatively fresh and tinged with fear. I look at Luçien in horror. What has he done to her?

Something you truly don't want to know.

*eyes widen at the end*

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  16. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    There's so much going there and I want to give Lucien the chance but I need to see more from him in terms of remorse. Very nice Azure.

Nyota's Heart and AzureAngel2 like this.
  17. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    Little Grianan's Savior Complex nearly got her killed; sadly most people that have one end up hurt in some fashion. :(

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  18. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    @SWpants: I hope I can calm you down with the next update! :*

@Darth_Furio: I hope I can provide for that.

@Lady_Misty: I give my characters my flaws, sorry!

Okay, here we are. Also to DarthUncle, Nyota's Heart & earlybird-obi-wan.

Instead of killing me on the spot, Grianán decides to follow me into the desert. For my people, this is the purest nuptial promise that there is. But my bride is not aware of that, I fear. All that she wants is to put the lifeless body of her nanny at rest. With or without me.

I remain silent on our journey. The past forty-eight hours have been wrought with so much damage, that Grianán might never again believe a single word that I say.

Much later on, after the funeral ritual has taken place, my offer to bring my bride home provokes an unexpected announcement.

“To my father’s funeral? Yes!”

I gulp.

Agathos cannot be dead. I remember meeting him in the breakfast room before I leftwith Draň. He had looked worn out, true, but not anyway near the brink of death.

“It was not I who broke his heart,” Grianán sneers, aware of my precipitate thoughts. “Look closer to home.”

Agitated, I glance at her. I have turned her into a complete orphan in a time where she needs nest warmth most. The dark side preys on the weak, the fearful.

Her eyes turn soft again, lose their unhealthy fire. “I would not mind staying in the desert tonight,” she admits.

At least I had the wits to prepare for this possibility. I happen to have a tent and other useful equipment in my saddle bags. I set to build up everything as quick as possible.

It will become none of us, when I give into a depression. Out here in the desert, I must concentrate on our common survival. A simple wrong-turn can be a death-sentence and we end up lying on a dune like my step-sister forever more.

When the evening falls, I take a quiet, unobserved moment to pull out Grianán’s diary from its hiding place. With wavering fingers I search for Agathos in the last entries. I am sure father and daughter said good-bye to one another. Perhaps I can even find clues to the actual cause of the prince consort’s death.

The last person that I had expected to seeing the round staircase of the West Tower was Father. His brows were drawn together and he was frowning. “Do you know that security cameras have been installed in the nursery after the death of Areté?”

Modern technology was a thing that I always underestimated. I did not feel machines, technical equipment or robots in the Force. “No,” I confessed.

“Isabeau and I like to watch Heulwen and Sionnach’s boys from time to time. They do wonderful stage plays, self-written. But of late the nursery is occupied by an adult visitor. Caelestris sits there for hours, drinking tea and staring ahead of her. Today she was not alone.”

I pressed my lips together.

Father grabbed shoulders almost forcefully. “Are you a Darksider now?“

I did my best to tell him the essence of my plan. “You must trust me, Father,” I begged when his grip lessened with my words. “There are medical issues and even more at stake. Please trust me and be discreet when telling the girls. I need to tear the shroud of the dark side into pieces before it suffocates us all.”

“You are not done plotting yet?” A spark of humour lay in this open accusation.

“Not for today, no,” I confessed.

Father placed a kiss on my brow. “Be careful then! The love of a male Lidérc can be an unhealthy matter for a young, inexperienced woman like you.”

Sighing, I pressed myself against him, nestling my head against his throat.

His hands rubbed my back, soothing me. “The corruption of the dark side is like a disease. It makes a being rot from within. Morals, emotions, thinking patterns...”

“I can handle it,” I assured him.

His heart was reflected in his eyes. “If your siblings and Sionnach rally against you, you will be completely lost.”

“I will take care of myself, my thoughts and action.”

“That will not be enough!” There was darkness in his gaze. “You need to use every dirty trick possible for your survival. Just as Isabeau must while on Sapuhru. I will pray for the two of you. Luçien can be a dreadful foe to his enemies. Don’t be any under delusions of grandeur. He might maim you once more. Be prepared, Grianán! Be prepared!”

“S’agapo!”I cried out, blinded by tears. I love you!

He wiped away one of my tears, looking at it. “Love is the greatest gift in this universe. Cling on to it, like I always did with your mother. But keep in mind that he is nothing like your mother. Their histories are very different. So are their personalities.”

When I was already walking away I heard him opening a book. I came to a stop when he spoke again.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.”

With a dim smile I started walking again and left the tower.

Gentleness, self-sacrifice and generosity are the exclusive possession of the human heritage of Terra. Even though Agathos is gone forever more, his good qualities will linger on. Draconis and the children of the Plumed Serpent have been colonized by mercy and grace. And their holy family – the Tjiehennets – infiltrated by a philosopher with a pure heart.

I wish I could have made peace with my father-in-law. The only thing I can do in his honour is to restore Grianán’s faith in love, her jest for life.

(To be continued!)

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    How absolutely touching! =D= I think the loss of Agathos has moved Lucien to a change for the better like few other things could or would. Glad Grianan and her father had sweet moments at the end. @};-

Beautiful passage about the qualities that love possesses in its purest form. [:D]

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  20. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    The thoughts on love are sentimentally nice and the thoughts on what the Dark Side does are also true in my opinion. The darkness within us corrupts love and love can push away the darkness. Again, one needs the other to show its true potential. Great Scene with Grainian's father

21. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    If characters weren't flawed they would be boring; it is their flaws that make them enjoyable and get them in so much trouble in the first place.

Looks like healing is on the list for Grianan and Lucien.

AzureAngel2 and Darth_Furio like this.
  22. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008

Nicely put.

23. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    All that she wants is to put the lifeless body of her nanny at rest. With or without me.

I personally would prefer without you but whatever, it's not my choice
    :p

“It was not I who broke his heart,” Grianán sneers, aware of my precipitate thoughts. “Look closer to home.”

Yeah! You tell him!

Father grabbed shoulders almost forcefully. “Are you a Darksider now?“

I did my best to tell him the essence of my plan. “You must trust me, Father,”

1. That's not an answer
    2. No one trusts you, jerk

He wiped away one of my tears, looking at it. “Love is the greatest gift in this universe.

It is! Except Lucien doesn't always listen or know it.

*sigh* and I'll admit, the end was good

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  24. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    There is some good in Lucien. I hope Grianan will restore the good in him

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  25. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    A short notice to all who read this thread, follow me and/ or like me to comment on their stories any time soon: I will not be able to back on the boards BEFORE the weekend. I am still very much under the impression of shaking hands with David Prowse in a Berlin book store last night and getting a signature from him. (Plus giving him some of my art as present & also paintings from my kindergarten group.) More on Saturday & Sunday.

[:D][face_love]:*O:)