main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Will you be reading or looking at reviews/ratings of TFA before you see it?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Fruit Pastilles, Mar 7, 2015.

1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm really NOT looking forward to all the reviews that will constantly say things like "Waaay better than the horrible prequels!" And "TFA has SAVED star wars from the PT," and "SW has been redeemed from the awful last decade of releases."

And you KNOW they're gonna say it...:rolleyes:

2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    And all the accolades to Disney..."Disney has brought back Star Wars to its roots with the The Force Awakens"

DBPirate and Chris_Fives like this.
  3. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    To be fair, Disney did save it. From everything I have read George was done with Star Wars. We may never have gotten another, and definitely not one with the original cast.

Even if they all turn out to be average to good (Similar in quality to the PT) we will still be getting more Star Wars.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This.

With a new entry do you really want it to repeat the things you didn't like from previous movies? I wouldn't. The hate for the PT is a bit much but for people with legitimate grievance why would you want to see the same thing you hated in a new entry?

Howard Hand likes this.
  5. tokilamockingbrd

tokilamockingbrd Jedi Knight star 4

May 12, 2015
    I think the hate is because people want the new to be better. That is why ROTJ hate was strong prior to the PT (in the 90s particularly). Also the PT was no perfect in ranged from some really bad moments to amazing ones, but people see the new director, new team in general so they feel if they can pin all the reason why the PT was not perfect on George and that team they feel more confident that TFA will turn out better.

Chris_Fives and Dewback like this.
  6. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    While that may be true, it is still going to be annoying not being able to avoid the chorus of reviews saying it when TFA comes out.

Obi-John Kenobi likes this.
  7. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    Amen. I know, I for one, am not looking forward to that.

Rellum Kire likes this.
  8. Obi-John Kenobi

Obi-John Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2012
    The worst will be the Lucas haters that will proclaim "JJ knows how to make a Star Wars movie better than Lucas!" You know they've got that already written and they're just dying to use it.[face_bleh]

9. lbr789

lbr789 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    I am not looking forward to that at all.
    I won't be reading any review before I see the movie. I don't read them for most movies- I don't want my expectations changed in any way. I might check the tomatometer, but I doubt it.
    I'll read reviews after I see it though.

Saga Explorer and DARTH_BELO like this.
  10. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003

Same here. This is one of the rare instances where I will read NO review before I see it. Especially since nowadays writers seem unable to write a review without filling it with spoilers. There's no such thing as a no-spoiler review anymore.

Anyways, I will not be even online probably, for the two weeks leading up to TFA. Cos in addition to spoiler filled reviews, writers are now including spoilers right in the article headline!! I don't know how many times I saw a headline from Avengers Age of Ultron on the Yahoo page that said something like: "why Loki doesn't appear in The Avengers," and why the new incarnation of the Avengers is so important for the MCU," and crap like that!!

I will have to lock myself in my basement for two weeks I guess.

I'll be alright, I have a bar down there...............................but not a bathroom though.. [face_thinking]

lbr789 likes this.
  11. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    I hate yahoo. It's all just a bunch of click-bait.

12. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Reviews for TFA will be colored by the reviewer's status as a SW fan and also their preference of OT vs. PT. Like some mentioned also their hate-love of JJ, Disney and Lucas.

I probably won't be reading and/or following other's opinions on the movie. I'll go and watch it and decide for myself.

13. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    this. couldn't have worded it better myself.

14. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I won't read the reviews and won't read them in the future, either. I haven't even looked at the reviews for the Saga as it stands, for the same reason other people have stated. It all depends on personal preference.

15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I must admit I'm looking forward to reading Harry Knowles' crazed ramblings about the movie once I've seen it myself :p

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have no interest in "professional" reviews. I care what my friends think of a film but even that doesn't determine what I might think of it.

17. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I know I shouldn't because I know what they're going to say. They'll praise JJ, Disney, and the OT while bashing the PT and GL all at the same time, but I probably will look a few.

18. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    The best way will be to go to Rotten Tomatoes and just see what score the movie will have without actually reading the reviews.

We already know that majority of them will have what guys above has written: JJ knows how to make SW, JJ saved SW from Lucas, etc etc. The hate towards PT in media is real.

I don't need that kind of negativity in my life:rolleyes:

19. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I personally don't care at all about the rotten tomatoes rating (or any other rating, for that matter). For a movie like SW, I will go and see it anyways regardless of what anyone else thinks. I only use those rating systems for newer, non franchise type films.

I will definately read reviews after I see it. Although I don't put much stock in the basic reviews which straight up just describe the movie that are based solely on the writer's bias (that's all that Yahoo posts, apparently). I prefer to read the articles that analyze certain things like easter eggs, reasons for events in the film, what it could mean for the story going forward, etc. I like that stuff-it helps me see the film from a different perspective, or reminds me of something I might have missed or misinterpreted.

Chris_Fives likes this.
  20. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I thought at first I might check out some reviews/ratings, but I don't think I will now. Unfortunately, I already feel like I know more than I wish I did and I am even sorry I've been participating a bit in all the analysis of how the film is being marketed that's been going on (particularly since SDCC). (Although I can't help certain impressions/reactions that I've had to the marketing, I almost feel like discussing it here and reading about other people's reactions, both "pro" and "con", has made me think way too much about the film in the first place, and I seem to find it way too easy to get sucked into all of that:p)

For the previous movies (both the OT as a child when they were originally released and the PT later), I knew virtually nothing about any of the films in advance or what either fans or critics were saying about them, other than seeing trailers on TV and the occasional short TV news blurb right when the films were being released. And I had six great "first-time-viewer" experiences. Hopefully what I've read, seen, and discussed so far won't end up negatively coloring my reaction to TFA, but I'll be trying to even further limit what I'm exposed to from now until December (we'll see how successful I actually am:p)

21. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Won't be reading them for many of the reasons listed above. It's a no win proposition.
    Speaking of PT hate, I wish I had a graph showing how TPM went from the 80's on RT after the full rush of initial reviews to its current 57 over time.
    Bandwagon anyone?

EHT, smoothkaz and Obi-John Kenobi like this.
  22. Sar Bandona

Sar Bandona Jedi Padawan

Aug 6, 2013
    I am so looking forward to this film! I have seen both previews and the Comicon reel. Both make me incredibly excited. From this point I feel anything else I might find out might be too much.

Saying that, I will not read any reviews begore going to see the movie. It has a good buzz around it, that's all I need to know.

Forbidden Island likes this.
  23. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Definitely agree with DARTH_BELO and Rellum Kire on this one. I may not actually read/watch the reviews (unless it's from someone who likes the prequels like Jonathan Paula) but I probably won't be able to help myself from looking at the average Metacritic score.

24. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    No reviews or ratings will change my mind. It's always been that way for me, because I usually don't agree with reviewers anyways.

25. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
    When the TPM came out, the first review I read was the local paper which was a terrible review of the movie which shocked me at the time. Later on when I finally discovered RT, it turned out that local paper had one of the most acerbic reviews in the batch. Nowadays I pretty much trust the overall RT %. It's usually right on after 150+ sample size of reviews. I do hope TFA makes it over 90.