main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Underused characters in Episodes IV-VI

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Saga Explorer, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I feel that Jerjerrod might have been a bit under-utilitised, as well as Biggs (especially after cutting some of their more interesting scenes).

2. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    Biggs, Wedge, Tarkin, and Mon Mothma should have all had more focus.

3. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Tarkin is the first that comes to mind, as he really was a effective villain and I love how he shows no fear even to force users.

Biggs, as I feel if they added more scenes (or included the deleted ones) with Luke then I would feel more sorry for his death.

Boba Fett definitely needed more moments to convince us he was a effective bounty hunter.

Lobot, no idea but I always wanted to learn more about him.

4. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I agree about Biggs and Mon Mothma. They should have included the scene from Tosche Station establishing Biggs' relationship with Luke. Also, they should have included the E3 scene with Mon Mothma. I think it gives a great insight regarding the beginnings of the rebellion and would have added depth to her character.

Valairy Scot and whostheBossk like this.
  5. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
    Mon Mothma also. She was shown to be strong leader but I would have liked more scenes where we saw that.

6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Tarkin as an effective officer not necessarily as an antagonist. I too like that he doesn't seem moved by the Force but neither does that mean he's faithless. :)

7. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Tarkin and General Veers.

For the good guys, Biggs.

darklordoftech likes this.
  8. James T Kirk

James T Kirk Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 22, 2015

I agree with this list. The number of underused/underdeveloped characters is exactly why Star Wars needs a live action tv series. Only so much screen time in movies, tv is great for giving characters and story more depth!

DarthJaceus likes this.
  9. Tobeh

Tobeh Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2015
    Zuckuss, 4-lom, Dengar, and IG-88 I think would have been cool to flesh out. Like someone said before, that is why Shadows is so I awesome. Really wish it was canon

10. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Snowtroopers were underutilized.
    Somehow in 1983 I knew Mon Mothma was the leader of the Rebellion, maybe from the paperback illustrated storybook. I don't even know how we are to take from what was onscreen in Return of the Jedi that Mon Mothma was the leader of the Rebel Alliance. She could just be a spokesperson for all we're given. There's no name (in classic Star Wars form), no one remarking they will hear anything from a leader of the Rebellion or someone of some importance, and she showed up in one scene. We don't even see if she survived the battle.
    It would have been nice to see General Rieekan on Home One. Perhaps Lucas figured he was keeping things fresh by not bringing back many Rebels from previous movies or it just wasn't practical to fly them in.

11. Chancellor Yoda

Jul 25, 2014
    General Veers is also character I would like see more of, mainly because he seemed to be more competent compared to other Imperial officers.

Also, the Snowtroopers seriously needed more time, always like them the best out of the trooper types.

darklordoftech and whostheBossk like this.
  12. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I wanna say "Wedge," but that's just the X-wing novel fanboy in me. In the context of the movies, considering that he's not a main character he doesn't do half-bad. His worst performance is at Yavin, but that's after he pulls a pretty badass maneuver to save Luke. At Hoth, he kills an AT-AT. At Endor, he co-kills a Death Star. That's actually a fantastic resume.

Biggs, though, definitely under-utilized. I love that scene at the beginning of ANH. Wish they'd put that into the 1997 special edition instead of making Greedo shoot first.

13. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    [​IMG]

14. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Great list so far...I'm actually stunned more names haven't made the list. Such as Imperial Guards or Tie Fighter pilots. Good to see the Imperial Dignitaries in above pic as they have such a strange following you want to know more about. Snowtroopers are also up on my list, and #1 would be Boba Fett, Bossk and the bounty hunters which we may get to see via a spinoff!! Don't forget Nien Nunb

JawaShuffle and darklordoftech like this.
  15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Wedge. If he'd had some actual character development and lines with more personality than "Good shot, Red 3!" then maybe Lawson would have been willing to come back for the ST.

16. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    First person that comes to mind is Tarkin but Biggs and Wedge also should have needed more screen time.

17. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    I think that they have wasted opportunities with characters such as Boba Fett and Grand Moff Tarkin, who have been eliminated within one movie. They could have a more important role in the trilogy. And I also think that they could have also give a bigger role to Grand Moff Tarkin in Revenge of the Sith, showing with his character or his actions during the Clone Wars that liberty and democracy have already died before the Republic was transformed into the Empire.

18. Huttslime

Huttslime Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 1, 2015
    Mon Mothma, more training scenes with Yoda, Boba, and definitely Tarkin

Darth Dnej and darklordoftech like this.
  19. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    As much as it would have been interesting, there was only so much that Lucas could do with these characters. I think he would have been distracted by the main story if he had focused more on them.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  20. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    Some of the Ewoks like Wicket , Paploo and Logray could have gotten more screen time during
    the Battle of Endor .

Not that I complain , it's just that I wonder how it could have been that way .

21. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Who the hell were those guys even? We saw them for like 2 seconds.

22. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Piett, since I don't recall him being yet listed.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  23. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Mon Mothma and Sate Pestage.

24. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Ozzel.

25. Tito-Wan Kenobi

Tito-Wan Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 14, 2015
    Well, it all depends to what we mean by "underutilized"

This should not mean that they were a secondary character that should had become a primary one. It also should not be synonymous with short screen time.

Underutilized means that there was potential left over and was wasted.

So, I can't agree with suggestions of characters like Tarkin. Don't get me wrong, I loved that character, particularly the awesome acting talent of Peter Cushing. But I think he made the impact his character was supposed to make. The same thing goes with the Emperor, Wicket, and so on. Even Ackbar gets enough screen time, character development and individual contribution as to make his character whole. The same thing with Jabba, Piett, even possible General Veers.

Who was underutilized?

Possible list: Mon Mothma, Boba Fett (totally underused).

Biggest two: Biggs (wholly underutilized as the apparently more advanced hero-ish from Tatooine who loves Luke, but treats him like a younger brother, only to have Luke loose him and have to become his own man); and one of my favs....Wedge....Wedge is always there (death star run, battle of hoth, battle of endor)....but we needed something more of that character. We got a good glimpse in all three movies (saving Luke in ANH, cheering the fall of the AT-AT in ESB, and very effectively leading the fighters in ROTJ).

Cartoon Boba, whostheBossk and Sarge like this.