main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Any chance we can move on to the 21st century here? [Sure!]

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Harpalyce, Apr 18, 2015.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Really glad this horrid rule got lifted.

Seagoat likes this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Totally missed the discussion, but happy for the outcome anyway.:D

Sinrebirth likes this.
  3. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Missed all of this, but this nasty, mad policy was a great one to get changed... Well done guys... =D=

4. Baga

Baga Jedi Padawan

May 22, 2014

Somebody, please, address this bigotry - this person gives herself the right to call a serious piece of work a crack!fic, just because it's a SSRI.

5. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    *sigh* Nyota's Heart

And she simply stated that she does not read "crack!fics that are of a slash nature". Her wording leaves it wide open to both non-slash fics being crack!fics, and non-crack!fics being slash. In other words, the two are independent of each other, and according to my reading of that statement, she chooses not to read fics that happen to fall in both categories. And that's her right to do so. Nobody can be forced to read a fic.

Juliet316 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Okay, so:
    1. Concerns about specific fanfiction posts are best left to the fanfiction moderation staff as they're in the best position to evaluate the context (if necessary) and so that if a post is deemed actionable there's not a need to edit multiple sources, just as you would handle any specific posts in a given forum.
    2. I'd kind of prefer if this thread didn't become a general "publicly flagellate other posters for saying something about slash" thread as the issue of our allowing it is very much settled from a board rules perspective.
    3. What jcgoble3 said would be my interpretation as well.

Juliet316, DarthBreezy and jcgoble3 like this.
  7. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
  8. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Better yet, just PM mavjade and Briannakin. This doesn't need to be brought up in public at all.

9. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Jon, this is not related to you in any way, so could you drop it?

10. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Baga - JC is correct, there is no reason to bring specific posts to comms. If you have an issue with a post in fanfic, you need to either report it, or better yet, simply private message Mavjade or myself

Juliet316 and jcgoble3 like this.
  11. GrimdarkRose

GrimdarkRose Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 19, 2015
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for the rule change! Honestly words cannpt express my gratitude that this ridiculous, outdated policy has finally been dealt with! :)

I only wish I had been here in time to help!

Ewok Poet likes this.
  12. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    The battle is not over yet. The homophobes now have a different tactic, though...to the point where they nullify out LGBTQ people.

13. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm going to be frank here: making vague posts in Communications is probably a good way to feel better and let off some necessary steam, but it's frowned upon by the moderating team, as it's completely useless for the administration and it (honestly) is more than a bit frustrating. So, if you have a honest concern follow these steps.

First, if the issue involves a particular forum, PM your moderating team, and describe your problem as honestly as clearly as possible; you don't have to PM every single moderator, just whoever you feel more confortable talking to. You can ask your mod to withdraw any detail you don't want the rest of Mod Squad to know, for whatever reason.

Second, if you don't think the moderating team is going to be able to help you, for whatever reason, PM me or the Head Admin. You know me, and you know that I always ask for names and links to specific posts, but you also know that I always take a look at everything sent my way.

Third, if and only if the issue is related to board-wide policy and not to an isolated incident, make a thread in Comms or post in an existing appropriate thread, Again, clarity is completely indispensable here. If the issue won't be helped by posting or discussing it in a public forum, please PM me instead.

14. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I have no idea what's going on. I must have reread that post several times and I honestly have absolutely no idea to what it refers. This is the problem with very vague posts; no one knows what you're talking about.

I expected the removal of that old and crappy rule to become a point of contention with some people. However, to publicly condemn those people isn't going to get the results that you want. Private discussion, perhaps, and keeping a calm and civil tone helps to smooth over hostilities better than getting angry and attacking people.

Personally, I don't care if certain people won't read my stuff because there's a same-sex relationship in it. I really, really don't care. Those people are obviously not my audience, so I won't bother to try to reach them. I certainly won't shame them for not wanting to read my story. I just don't care. They are simply not worth my time and energy.