main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek] The Divergent Series: Ep. 1-1 -- "These Are the Voyages ..." (COMPLETE)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Duragizer, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    Author: Duragizer

Characters: Various

Genre: AU; action; adventure

Timeframe: SD 1312 (25000 AD/CE)

Summary: Early in the year SD 1312, Capt. James R. Kirk takes command of the Constitution-class starship USS Enterprise and sets out on a five-year mission patrolling the border between the United Federation of Worlds and the Delta Sector, a lightly charted and largely unexplored region of the galaxy that the Federation, the Klingon Empire, and the Romulan Star Empire all wish to expand into.

Mere days into the five-year mission, Starbase 104 is brutally attacked by K't'inga-class battle cruisers of the dread Klingon Empire. Investigating the mysterious attack, the crew of the Enterprise soon uncovers that the attack is the precursor to an invasion of P2G-0091, a valuable Federation outpost. If the Enterprise does not move quickly to defend P2G-0091, the innocent colonists living on the world will be annihilated by the Klingons.

Notes: This is the pilot episode of Star Trek: The Divergent Series, my own Star Trek reboot (which has absolutely no connection to the Abramsverse). A reimagining of TOS, ST:TDS will (hopefully) consist of five 13-episode seasons, covering Kirk's first five-year mission from beginning to end.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  2. Duragizer

Apr 23, 2009
    FADE IN

On Ghioghe, a roughly Earth-sized planet covered in large mauve landmasses and medium-sized turquoise oceans.

Glowing with an almost eerie radiance in the pitch black of space, its sun burning chartreuse in the distance, Ghioghe has in its orbit thirteen starships; three of these ships -- the Federation-class dreadnought Entente, the Detroyat-class heavy destroyer Sardaukar, and the Newton-class starship Lydia Sutherland -- belong to the United Federation of Worlds while the remaining ten -- an assortment of sinister-looking frigates, corvettes, and destroyers -- belong to Ghioghe’s native race.

The two sides are locked in battle, and the Federation ships -- outnumbered, outgunned -- are losing the fight.

INT. LYDIA SUTHERLAND/BRIDGE

Buffeted by weapons’ fire from the enemy vessels, the starship rattles violently. Though they try to hold on to a facade of cool-headedness, the officers of the bridge crew grow visibly anxious as the odds fall further and further out of their favour.

Seated in the command chair, dressed in the shiny black jackboots, black trousers, green undershirt, and gray jacket of a Starfleet commanding officer, is COLONEL JAMES R. KIRK. Well-built, handsome, with a square jaw and dark blond hair, Kirk is a Human male who glows with an intense, fierce determination which belies his young age of thirty-one years.

KIRK: Ens. Cojji, go to 090-mark-90! Lt. Rlad, target the corvette’s portside engines and fire phasers, maximum power!

Located directly ahead of the command chair are the navigation, tactical, and helm stations. Behind these stations sit three individuals -- a gracile Andorian male; a stocky Tellarite male; and a Human female -- all dressed in uniforms similar to Kirk’s safe for beige undershirts in place of green. Cojji and Rlad -- the Human and Tellarite, respectively -- obey their commanding officer with silent acknowledgement.

EXT. SPACE -- GHIOGHE

As the Lydia Sutherland moves into position, twin azure beams flash out from the starship’s forward phasers, converging upon the portside engines of the blade-shaped corvette directly before them. Within seconds, the port engines go critical and explode, sending the craft into a spin which sends it careening into another Ghioghe corvette, demolishing both with a brilliant explosion.

Before the Sutherland can reorient itself, two Ghioghe destroyers -- one coming down from above, the other up from below -- zero in on the Newton-class starship and open fire with their energy weapons. Six purple beams slam into the starship’s deflector shields, overwhelm them, and then slice on through the forward section.

With showers of sparks, several control panels explode. Several officers, caught in the blast, are blown out of their seats. The lights aboard the bridge begin to flicker erratically.

KIRK: Damage report!

Unfortunately for the colonel, most of the bridge crew now lie strew about the bridge deck unconscious, dying, or dead; the science officer -- a semi-Human with iridescent scales -- can be counted among the latter third.

Pressing a button set into one of his chair’s armrests, Kirk activates the red alert and klaxons begin to blare throughout the ship. Getting up from his seat, Kirk then quickly moves forward to the navigation, tactical, and helm stations. Rlad and Cojji -- bodies charred black from the blasts -- are dead, but Thelin -- the Andorian -- while covered in severe burns of his own, seems to have escaped the brunt of the explosion and remains breathing.

Bringing up his left arm, Kirk activates the comcorder secured to his wrist.

KIRK: (into comcorder) Medical personnel, report to the bridge! We have injured here!

EXT. SPACE -- GHIOGHE

The two Ghioghe destroyers, having reoriented themselves, move in upon the Lydia Sutherland again, opening fire with their purple beams. This time the beams cut into the engines of the ship.

With a terrific explosion, violent shocks resound through the length of the ship into the bridge. Thrown clear off his feet, Kirk is sent forward into the forward viewscreen. Hitting the transparent aluminum surface at an odd angle, he then collapses to the deck, face bloody and eyes closed. The internal lighting and artificial gravity then go out as the ship’s power fails.

EXT. SPACE -- GHIOGHE

With one of their own hopelessly crippled, the Entente and Sardaukar decide now is the time to hightail it out of the system.

Coming to the Sutherland’s aid, the Entente passes over the Newton-class starship like an avenging angel, training its phaser banks on the two Ghioghe destroyers; opening fire, the Federation-class dreadnought decimates the ships completely.

Catching the Lydia Sutherland in its tractor beam, the Entente, along with the Sardaukar, turn away from the enemy fleet and head away from the planet. Once they have cleared some distance, the three Federation craft jump to the safety of warp.

INT. LYDIA SUTHERLAND/TRANSPORTER ROOM

At the back end of the room, built into its own alcove, is the ship’s transporter. Consisting of two separate components -- a round pad set in the floor and a round projector set in the ceiling -- it is connected to its own generator, leaving it ready for operation even though the rest of the Sutherland’s systems have gone dead.

A large tube of blue energy suddenly manifests within the transporter. Energized particles quickly pool within the tube, coalescing into sixteen distinct shapes. The radiant shapes -- all more-or-less humanoid -- lose their glow as they become conventional matter. With the transport process completed, the tube dissipates, leaving a rescue party of SIXTEEN STARFLEET PERSONNEL -- all dressed in hermetically sealed environment suits -- standing there with various medical equipment on hand.

Without gravity to hold them in place, the new arrivals begin to float up from the pad. Reaching for their suits’ controls, they activate the magnetic soles in their boots and are immediately pulled back down. They then activate the lamps attached to their helmets to bring some light to the dark interior.

Bringing up their left arm, one of the suited figures presses another of their suit’s controls; in the blink of an eye, a rectangular holographic display covered in technical readouts springs to life from a small projector affixed to their wrist.

PARTY MEMBER #1: Atmospheric readings are normal; the hull wasn’t compromised, at least not on this section of the ship.

PARTY LEADER: We needn’t take any chances. Leave your helmets on. (beat) Signal the Entente and tell them to send the next party through. There’re a lot of injured people here that need our assistance.

Stepping off the transporter pad, the rescue party moves out to explore the rest of the ship.

Pulling open the bridge door, the party members step inside, where they find the bridge crew members -- the dead and the barely alive -- floating about like prone, motionless ghosts. Moving inward, taking care to locate and administer aid to the survivors, they soon come upon the form of Col. Kirk himself.

FADE OUT

BEGIN OPENING CREDITS

FADE IN

On a black starfield.

Travelling through this starfield, we pass by several exotic planets and colourful nebulae until we finally come to focus on the Constitution-class starship USS Enterprise.

KIRK: (V.O.) The Delta Sector: a vast expanse of space bordered on three sides by the United Federation of Worlds, Klingon Empire, and Romulan Star Empire; lightly charted and largely unexplored, it is the latest great frontier of the known galaxy. My name is James R. Kirk, and I am the captain of the Federation starship Enterprise. Our five-year mission: to patrol our border with the sector, to offer aid and assistance to our outlying outposts and colonies, to curb the schemes and machinations of our enemies, and to ultimately go where no man has gone before.

The Enterprise vanishes from sight as it goes to warp.

STAR TREK

Starring

WILLIAM SHATNER as CAPT. JAMES R. KIRK

GARY LOCKWOOD as MAJ. GARY MITCHELL

LEONARD NIMOY as MAJ. S'POCK

PAUL FIX as DR. MARK PIPER

JAMES DOOHAN as MAJ. MONTGOMERY SCOTT

NICHELLE NICHOLS as 1ST LT. NYOTA UHURA

GEORGE TAKEI as 1ST LT. HIKARU SULU

JEAN SIMMONS as 1ST LT. HADIA RUAN

and GRACE LEE WHITNEY as YN. JANICE RAND

END OPENING CREDITS

3. Duragizer

Apr 23, 2009
    INT. MANTILLES -- APARTMENT COMPLEX/KIRK’S APARTMENT -- DAWN

In the early hours of the Mantillian dawn, as the first dull rays of sunlight begin to filter in through the small, one-room apartment’s window blinds, James Kirk -- dressed in black jackboots, trousers, and undershirt -- stands over a small suitcase, loading his few possessions -- a couple microtapes, an ancient pre-Eugenic Wars family Bible, a thin sheaf of family photos, and one hand-written letter -- into it.

KIRK: Computer.

COMPUTER: Ready.

KIRK: Close out my account here.

COMPUTER: Done.

Closing the suitcase, Kirk walks over to a chair and pulls a Starfleet jacket -- gold instead of gray -- off of it. As he pulls it on and zips it closed, we can tell by the rank pin secured to his left breast and the braids embroidered on his sleeves that he is no longer a colonel; he has been promoted to the rank of captain.

Returning to his suitcase, he picks it up then leaves the apartment without a single look back.

EXT. FEDERATION TEACHING HOSPITAL -- DAWN

Stepping out of a taxi, Kirk finds himself standing before the Federation Teaching Hospital, a short but wide building with a pristine exterior of whitewashed walls and sparkling clean windows.

Approaching the hospital, Kirk climbs the steps to the front entrance.

SUPERIMPOSE: THESE ARE THE VOYAGES …

INT. FEDERATION TEACHING HOSPITAL/REGENERATION WARD -- DAWN

Entering the ward, Kirk makes his way over to a long, transparent regeneration tank. Lying inside the tank, immersed up to his neck in a green regenerative gel, is the Andorian Thelin; though his burns have healed, he remains unconscious, in a deep coma.

Sitting down in a chair beside the tank, Kirk locks a pained gaze upon his subordinate.

KIRK: They keep telling me you’ll wake up soon. I hope it’s true. You’ve been here too long, and it isn’t fair. (beat) They also claim you can’t hear me because of the drugs, but they’re wrong. I don’t care if they think I’m nuts to talk to you. (beat) I saw it all going wrong at Ghioghe. I still can’t believe Sieren could make a mistake like that. I saw -- this is going to sound weird, Thelin, I know it, but I saw the pattern of what was happening. I knew that if everyone would calm down for thirty seconds, if all the commanders held their fire for another minute, the crisis would pass. But it didn’t happen that way. (shakes his head) Lord, I admired Sieren. (beat) I saw the pattern, I knew how to fix it, but I couldn’t do anything and it all went wrong. Is that how it was for Sieren? Is that how it would have been for me, if I had been in command? Efros could have turned out just the same, but it didn’t. We came out of that one covered in glory and holding a peace treaty. Was that just good luck?

Kirk rises from his chair.

KIRK: It’s alright. Sleep, get well. I have to leave for Starbase 95 soon to begin my assignment on the Enterprise, but I’ll check in to see how you’re doing as often as I can, my friend. I promise.

At that moment, Christine Chapel, a handsome blonde woman dressed in a blue nurse’s uniform, enters the room, a clipboard-sized PADD cradled under her right arm.

CHRISTINE CHAPEL: Good morning, Captain.

Kirk doesn’t seem to hear her.

CHRISTINE CHAPEL: Captain?

Finally noticing her, the captain turns around to acknowledge the young nurse.

KIRK: Sorry, Ms. Chapel. I’m still not used to being addressed to as “captain”. Good morning.

The nurse approaches the captain.

CHRISTINE CHAPEL: The biotelemetry on Maj. Thelin is very encouraging. I thought you’d like to know.

KIRK: Then why doesn’t he wake up?

CHRISTINE CHAPEL: He will. (beat) When he’s ready.

Chapel calls the information on Thelin’s current medical condition up on her PADD, then hands the device over to Kirk. Accepting it, he reads it over.

KIRK: (smiles) I see he has the heart of an eighteen-year-old.

CHRISTINE CHAPEL: (grins) Yes -- in a jar on his closet shelf. (beat) He will be alright, Captain. I promise you that.

KIRK: Thank you, Ms. Chapel.

Deactivating the PADD, the captain hands it back to the nurse.

KIRK: (cont’d) Ms. Chapel …

CHRISTINE CHAPEL: Yes, Captain?

KIRK: Would you do me a favour?

CHRISTINE CHAPEL: If I can.

KIRK: I know it isn’t supposed to make any difference, but I keep remembering the time before I woke up. I could hear things -- or thought I could hear -- but I couldn’t open my eyes and I didn’t know where I was or what had happened to me. While Thelin’s still asleep, could you … talk to him? Tell him he’s going to be alright ….

CHRISTINE CHAPEL: (touches Kirk’s arm reassuringly) Of course I will.

KIRK: Thank you. (beat) I’m supposed to report to Starbase 95 soon. I’d like to leave a note --?

CHRISTINE CHAPEL: You can use the office in back.

INT. FEDERATION TEACHING HOSPITAL/REGENERATION WARD/OFFICE -- DAWN

As Kirk steps into the office, he finds two individuals, engaged in conversation, standing there, their backs turned to him. Both female, one is a near-Human doctor with radiant blue-green eyes and silver hair while the other is a young Human woman with short blond hair

SILVER HAIRED DOCTOR: (cont’d) No, of course not. It’s just -- (notices Kirk standing there behind them) Why, Capt. Kirk! How nice to see you looking so well!

The blonde -- CAROL MARCUS -- spins around upon hearing that name.

CAROL MARCUS: Jim!

KIRK: Hello, Carol.

SILVER HAIRED DOCTOR: (to Carol) Talk to you later.

The doctor leaves so the two Humans can converse in private.

CAROL MARCUS: How are you feeling, Jim?

KIRK: (ignores her question) It’s wonderful to see you. I have to leave soon. Can we … I’d like to talk to you. Would you have a drink with me?

CAROL MARCUS: It’s too early in the day for a drink, Jim ….

KIRK: Oh, of course!

CAROL MARCUS: (cont’d) But I will go for a walk with you.

EXT. PARK -- DAY

Mantilles’ sun has risen high in the western sky, and it casts its red rays down over the beautiful orange foliage of the park.

Kirk and Carol walk together along a narrow dirt path, hand-in-hand.

CAROL MARCUS: We are still friends, I hope.

KIRK: I hope so, too.

CAROL MARCUS: Are you sleeping any better?

Kirk hesitates too long before answering.

KIRK: I’m sleeping fine.

CAROL MARCUS: If you want to talk about it ….

KIRK: (flustered) No, I don’t want to talk about it! (more gently) No, I don’t want to talk about it.

They soon reach a small lake. As they take a seat on a bench close to the shore, a number of small, violet cephalopods rise out of the water and begin to flail their short tentacles about in search of a handout.

CAROL MARCUS: (looking upon the cephalopods) We always forget to bring them anything. How many times have we walked here? We always meant to bring them some bread, but we never did.

KIRK: We had … other things on our minds.

CAROL MARCUS: Yes ….

KIRK: (frustrated) Carol, there’s got to be someway --!

He cuts himself off when he notices her tense up.

CAROL MARCUS: Such as what?

KIRK: We could … we could get married.

She turns to face him.

CAROL MARCUS: What?

KIRK: Let’s get married. Come with me to Starbase 95. Gen. Noguchi could perform the ceremony.

CAROL MARCUS: But why marriage, for heaven’s sake?

KIRK: That’s the way we do it in my family.

CAROL MARCUS: Not in mine. (beat) And anyway, it still wouldn’t work.

KIRK: It’s worked for quite a number of millennia. (beat) Carol, I love you. You love me. You’re the person I’d most want to be with if I were stranded on a desert planet. We have fun together -- remember when we went to the dock and snuck on board the Majel for our own private tour -- (notices her strange expression) It’s true.

CAROL MARCUS: Yes, it’s true, and I have missed you. The house is awfully quiet without you.

KIRK: (smiles hopefully) Then you’ll do it?

CAROL MARCUS: (shakes her head) No. We talked about this too many times. No matter what we do, it wouldn’t make any difference. I can’t be with you and you can’t be with me.

KIRK: But I could. I could transfer to headquarters --

CAROL MARCUS: Jim ….

The pretty young woman takes both of Kirk’s hands in hers and gazes deeply into his eyes.

CAROL MARCUS: (cont’d) I remember how you felt when you found out you were getting command of the Enterprise. Do you think anyone who loved you would want to take that away from you? Do you think you could love anyone who tried?

KIRK: (voice breaking) I love you. I don’t want to lose you.

CAROL MARCUS: I don’t want to lose you, either, but I lost you before I ever met you. (a tear runs down from her eye) I can get used to the quiet. I can’t get used to having you back for a few weeks at a time and losing you over-and-over-and-over again.

KIRK: (miserable) I know you’re right. I just ….

Tears running down both their faces, they kiss for the final time. Carol then holds him to her, allowing him to rest his head on her shoulder as he weeps.

CAROL MARCUS: (crying) I love you, too, Jim, but we don’t live on a desert planet.

4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I have to start by saying that if this were a television show, I'd watch it in a heartbeat - you already had me hooked!

I'm enjoying all of this so far, but the last scene with Kirk and Carol, in particular, just broke my heart - its amazing the emotional impact you were able to convey in a script. That's very impressive, and I can't wait to read more. =D=

5. Duragizer

Apr 23, 2009
    Thanks. :)

I guess I should admit, though, that most of what I've written so far is lifted from the novel Enterprise: The First Adventure; some small alterations aside, the Kirk & Carol scene is virtually identical to an exchange from the novel's prologue. Much of this screenplay is a loose adaptation of that novel (and this comic), so much of the credit has to go to the original writers.

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh this rocks! I breathe and live for the Abramsverse, totally, toally! But you reeled me in with this one. Excellent characterization, and superb dialogue! Got some real umph! I guess if I can love parts of SW Legends and be fascinated witht the new stuff at the same time, ;) but you know what I'll be doing don't you? [face_shhh] Writing S/U alternate mushy scenes off-screen. [face_laugh] Because I can't help myself. [face_dancing]

Your Jim/Carole is awesome, reminds me of something that could've happened with Luke/Mara and probably did for 10 years. :p Until yay, the force intervened. :D Or as Luke told Mara in a fic I'm reading [face_love] he would've admitted his feelings for her anyway and asked her out for a date. But here, it's totally IC that Jim and Carol are "wedded" to their careers. =D=

7. Duragizer

Apr 23, 2009

[face_shame_on_you] ;)

8. Duragizer

Apr 23, 2009
    EXT. M5O-0024 -- CRICHTON SETTLEMENT -- CITYSCAPE -- DAY

On the Federation colony M5O-0024, a violet-and-mauve gas giant looms large in the northern sky, the distant white sun of the system shining just off to the northeast, casting its bright, clean light down on the coastal buildings of Crichton Settlement, the O-class moon’s largest city.

INT. APARTMENT COMPLEX/KUBAKA & NYOTA’S APARTMENT -- DAY

Entering the apartment, we travel to the bedroom, where we find a suitcase -- open and partially packed -- sitting atop the large, king-sized bed.

Moving out of the bedroom, we come to the living room, where we find two dark-skinned Humans standing together. 1ST LIEUTENANT NYOTA UHURA, a pretty woman with short, black hair, dark brown eyes, and a strong, toned body, is of Terran extraction, a native of the African Confederation. Kabaka Bubunga -- a man with short, curly hair, a thin mustache, and a taller, finer build than that of his companion -- is of similar heritage.

KABAKA BUGUNGA: So you’re really going, Nyota?

UHURA: Yes, Kabaka. Did you really expect otherwise?

KABAKA BUGUNGA: (shakes his head with confusion) I didn’t know. I … (looks down at his pants and reaches into a pocket) Here, I have something for you.

Pulling the object -- a small ebony box -- out, he presents it before Uhura, resting a hand lovingly on her shoulder as he does so. Taking the box, she opens it; inside, nestled against scarlet velvet lining, is a beautiful electrum ring with an ornately cut turquoise set in it.

UHURA: A wedding ring? (beat) Kabaka, that’s very sweet, but --

Gently but firmly, Kabaka directs Uhura over to a sofa and sits her down in it.

KABAKA BUGUNGA: (sits down beside Uhura, facing her) Marry me, Nyota. What do you need space for when you’ve got someone who you loves you right here?

UHURA: And I love you, Kabaka … but I can’t just abandon my career. Comm officer of the Enterprise is a promotion I can’t refuse.

KABAKA BUGUNGA: (frowns) And you expect me to wait for you, is that it?

UHURA: No … no.

Taking one last look at the wedding ring in its box, she slowly closes it and replaces it in Kabaka’s hands, closing his fingers over it as she does so.

UHURA: (cont’d) I’ll wait for you.

Apparently a poor choice of words. Upon hearing them, Kabaka’s face contorts with intense, sudden anger. Bolting up from the sofa, he gazes down upon his lover, cheeks livid with rage.

KABAKA BUGUNGA: Don’t bother, Uhura ….

Taking the ring, Kabaka hurls it away from him. Hitting the far wall, it drops to the floor with a low THUNK.

KABAKA BUGUNGA: (cont’d) … I won’t be here when you get back.

Turning on his heel, he makes his way to the door out of the apartment. By the time Uhura goes to stop him, he has already stormed out.

UHURA: (staring after him) Goodbye ….

INT. ENTERPRISE/CORRIDOR OUTSIDE CREW QUARTERS

On board the Constitution-class starship Enterprise, in the corridor wherein the crew quarters are located, a man comes to a halt before a specific door. Clad in a gold command jacket nearly identical to Kirk’s, he keeps his hands clasped behind his back, an aura of what can only be described as relaxed but contemplative focus worn about him. A tall, lanky man who wears his dark black hair shorn short and his facial expression neutral, he looks almost like an average, nondescript Human male; only the greenish tinge to his light skin, his upturned eyebrows, and his pointed ears betray the extrahuman side of his heritage. This is MAJOR S’POCK, the Vulcan/Human hybrid science officer of the USS Enterprise.

Bringing up a hand, he presses the door’s buzzer.

CAPT. PIKE: (O.S.) Come.

The door slides open, allowing S’Pock to step inside.

INT. ENTERPRISE/CAPT. PIKE’S QUARTERS

As the door closes behind him, S’Pock finds CAPTAIN CHRISTOPHER PIKE seated behind his deck. A handsome man in his early forties, Pike has dark brown hair, piercing blue eyes, and a gold jacket. Elbows resting upon the desktop and his chin resting upon his fists, he stares at holographic images of old friends, family, and colleagues being projected from a data crystal held in a data reader upon his desk. His eyes are solidly fixed on the three dimensional images, his expression pensive.

Glancing up from the images, Pike seems to take notice of S’Pock for the first time. Bringing his head up, he passes a hand over the data reader, shutting the holograms off.

CAPT. PIKE: Good afternoon, Mr. S’Pock.

S’POCK: Commodore Pike.

CAPT. PIKE: Not Cdre. Pike. Not yet. I’m still a captain ‘til the week’s end.

Taking the data crystal out of the reader, Pike drops it in a drawstring bag. Scooping up other such crystals from the desktop, he deposits them in the bag, too.

S’POCK: Very well, Capt. Pike.

CAPT. PIKE: Ship’s business?

S’POCK: No, sir. The Enterprise is prepared for change of command.

CAPT. PIKE: Good.

Drawing the string of the bag tight, Pike then ties the bag shut and tosses it into a nearly empty suitcase.

CAPT. PIKE: Not much to show for eleven years, is it?

S’POCK: (cocks an eyebrow) Sir?

CAPT. PIKE: Nevermind. I’m just feeling my age.

S’POCK: Yes, Captain. (beat) Congratulations, sir.

CAPT. PIKE: Congratulations?

S’POCK: Yes, sir. In regard to your promotion, your increased responsibilities.

CAPT. PIKE: Oh, right. (smiles humourlessly) Did you want to talk to me about something in particular, Mr. S’Pock?

S’POCK: Change of command offers little opportunity for conversation, Captain. I came to speak to you now … merely to wish you farewell.

CAPT. PIKE: Merely?

S’POCK: Yes. Words of farewells are perhaps not logical, based as they are in superstition, in wishes for good fortune, but … I have learned much from you, Captain.

CAPT. PIKE: (smiles) That’s high praise, Mr. S’Pock. Thank you.

S’POCK: Perhaps we will have the opportunity to work together again, sometime in the future.

CAPT. PIKE: Does that bother you, Mr. S’Pock?

S’POCK: What, Captain?

CAPT. PIKE: I never asked you if you wanted to be promoted off the Enterprise with me. I could have recommended that. If I had, you’d be on your way to being my executive officer on a starbase.

S’POCK: I am aware that this is often done. Capt. Kirk has recommended one of his senior officers for a position on the Enterprise. That is his privilege, as it is your privilege to choose your own executive staff.

CAPT. PIKE: I probably should have talked to you about it, but I made the choice for you. I was afraid that if I made you the offer, you might feel compelled to accept it, compelled to leave the Enterprise. Did I make a mistake?

S’POCK: (frowns) Sir?

CAPT. PIKE: You have a highly developed sense of responsibility, Mr. S’Pock. You don’t necessarily choose the path that’s best for you.

S’POCK: “Best” is a highly subjective term, Captain. Vulcans attempt to eliminate subjective terms from their decisions. The goal of a Vulcan with my background and training is to increase the store of knowledge available to sapient beings.

CAPT. PIKE: Maybe I didn’t make a mistake, after all.

Pike rises from his chair, putting him on equal stature with the half-Vulcan.

CAPT. PIKE: (cont’d) When people of my background and training say goodbye, they shake hands, but Vulcans ….

S’POCK: I will shake your hand, Capt. Pike, if you wish it.

The captain and science officer then clasp hands for the first and final time.

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Uhura is well shut of that dude who reacts so angrily to her choice instead of with sorrow or grief. [face_thinking] Though girlfriend deserves a career and a love. Oh yes, like Leia Organa did and found. [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

Ahem, I've loved Uhura and want her to have her cake since day 1. :D The Spock/Pike scene - excuse me while I dissolve into an incoherent =P~ =P~ fangirl mess! Fantastic dialogue, totally IC particularly for Spock. :D Dude is so so - I've never been quite able to describe adequately what he is [face_love] [face_love] His heritage just lends itself to a gorgeous, lovable blend!

:) [face_sigh]

10. Duragizer

Apr 23, 2009
    I think the breakup was a blessing in disguise. Kabaka is obviously one of the those guys who are 100% charm when they first get into a relationship with a lady, but become demanding control freaks later down the line. She did the smart thing by turning down his proposal.

And Uhura will find her one true love some day. She's going to have to wait several years before she gets to that point in her life, though.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  11. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Uhura was all smarts turning down Kabaka's proposal here; I'm happy she made that choice! I can't say good riddance enough there. o_O

But I loved Spock and Pike's conversation, it rang perfectly in character, and the dialogue just flowed! I loved the captain/commodore lines, and the hand shake in particular. [face_love]

I am still highly enjoying this. =D=

12. Duragizer

Apr 23, 2009
    INT. SALADIN/KIRK’S QUARTERS

In these modest quarters on-board the Baton Rouge-class starship Saladin, James R. Kirk lies outstretched upon his bed in near-total darkness, eyes closed in sleep. Though still dressed in his black trousers, he has discarded his boots, undershirt, and jacket.

Awakening, Kirk slowly sits up. As he does so, the room’s lights automatically brighten, chasing the shadows away. Rubbing lingering sleepiness from his eyes, he throws his legs over the side of the mattress and gets up from the bed.

Walking over to an opaque panel set into the far bulkhead, the captain reaches for the controls set in the bulkhead beside it. With the press of a button, the panel loses its opaqueness and becomes a transparent viewport. Situated beyond the pane of transparent aluminum, its featureless black walls marred only occasionally by blue spiderweb patterns caused by minute stresses in the warp field, is the dark void of warp space.

EXT. SPACE -- P1C-0072

In the depths of deep space, on the far outskirts of the Alpha Sector, stands P1C-0072. Tethered to a dim red dwarf, P1C-0072 is a small, rocky C-class planet; desolate, airless, and geologically inactive, this is a world which, if it ever supported life, hasn’t done so in long eons. Floating in orbit around this dead brown sphere, the only sign of active intelligence in the entire system, is Starbase 95, a large Federation space station which serves as a way station between the Alpha and Delta Sectors.

On the edge of the distant solar system, a small pocket of spacetime distorts, balloons into a sphere, and then bursts outward in a series of three-dimensional ripples as the Saladin drops out of warp.

INT. SALADIN/BRIDGE

Seated in the command chair, baby blue eyes fixed ahead, is Col. Mmirg. A large, muscular semi-Human with orange, craggy skin, he looks almost out of place in a Starfleet uniform.

COL. MMIRG: Standard approach, Mr. Kaasq. Viewer ahead.

MR. KAASQ: Aye, sir.

EXT. SPACE -- P1C-0072

The Saladin’s impulse engines flare to life and the starship continues its approach to Starbase 95 at near-light speed.

INT. SALADIN/BRIDGE

The turbolift door to the bridge slides open and Capt. Kirk -- freshly showered, groomed, and dressed -- steps inside.

COL. MMIRG: (turns to Kirk) Captain on the bridge!

KIRK: At ease.

EXT. SPACE -- STARBASE 95

Finally arriving at Starbase 95, the Saladin slips under the behemoth station’s massive shadow and approaches one of the four large doors which leads to the docking bay within. The titanic bay door parts in the middle and slowly slides open, allowing the Baton Rouge-class starship entrance.

INT. STARBASE 95/DOCKING BAY

Inside Starbase 95, the Saladin finds itself only one of countless dozens of starships which take up space within the vastness of the docking bay’s interior.

As the Baton Rouge-class starship approaches its mooring, it passes within range of the NCC-1701, better known as the USS Enterprise. A Constitution-class starship, it has the same basic saucer-and-twin-nacelles configuration utilized by most of Starfleet’s capital ships. Unlike the other Federation ships seen thus far, though, the Enterprise wasn’t built to wage war or ferry passengers on short jaunts between systems; it is a long-range ship, designed and equipped to maintain a large crew in the wild frontiers of the galaxy for long stretches of time.

INT. SALADIN/BRIDGE

As the impressive sight of the Enterprise fills the viewscreen, Kirk becomes entranced, mouth falling agape in awe of the magnificent craft.

KIRK: Col. Mmirg.

COL. MMIRG: Yes, Captain?

KIRK: Have your comm officer open a channel to the Enterprise. Tell them I’d like to give Capt. Pike my regards.

Turning to the comm officer, the orange-skinned colonel issues the command with a single gesture of his hand. Nodding once in acknowledgment, the comm officer follows through.

COMM OFFICER: The channel’s open, Captain, go ahead.

KIRK: Capt. Pike?

INT. ENTERPRISE/BRIDGE

CAPT. PIKE: Pike here.

INT. SALADIN/BRIDGE

KIRK: Capt. Pike, this is Capt. Kirk aboard the Saladin.

CAPT. PIKE: (O.S.) What can I do for you, Captain?

KIRK: I know the official ceremony is a few days off yet ….

INT. ENTERPRISE/BRIDGE

KIRK: (cont’d; O.S.) … but I was wondering if you’d mind if I beamed aboard and took a look at her.

CAPT. PIKE: (smiles slightly) Not at all, Captain. Come right ahead.

Rising from the command chair, Pike turns his attentions to 1ST LT. LEE KELSO, a thin, blonde Human male attired in a red operations jacket who is currently seated behind the nav station.

CAPT. PIKE: You have the conn, Kelso. I’ll be escorting your new captain around, if you need me.

KELSO: Yes, sir.

Pike turns and leaves the bridge. Once he has disappeared in the turbolift, Kelso turns to the man seated beside him at the tactical station, a sudden frown creasing his brow.

KELSO: (irate) The nerve of that Kirk. Can’t even wait for Pike to step down to get his hands on his ship! I call that low, Sulu!

Of approximately the same height and build as Kelso and also attired in a red jacket, 1ST LT. HIKARU SULU is a dark-haired, golden-toned man of Asian ethnicity.

SULU: You shouldn’t talk about our new commanding officer that way, Lee -- even if he deserves it.

INT. SALADIN/BRIDGE

Kirk turns to leave the bridge. As he does so, Mmirg rises from his chair to stop him.

COL. MMIRG: Captain, you can’t leave like this -- not in the middle of docking procedures! As commander of this ship, I’m responsible. What if --?

KIRK: (opens the turbolift door) Mr. Mmirg.

COL. MMIRG: Yes?

KIRK: How long have you had command of this ship?

COL. MMIRG: Almost a year -- twelve months.

KIRK: (steps into the turbolift sporting a wry grin) Just consider this a test of your command capabilities.

COL. MMIRG: But sir, I --

KIRK: (to the turbolift computer) Transporter room.

The turbolift door closes, ferrying the captain away and leaving the colonel in a flustered state.

INT. ENTERPRISE/TRANSPORTER ROOM

Having arrived at the transporter room, Pike stands behind the transporter controls. Standing beside the captain, eyes and hands ready at the controls, is MAJ. MONTGOMERY SCOTT, a lean man with short black hair and a missing middle finger on his right hand.

SCOTT: They’re energizin’, captain.

A tube of blue energy forms within the transporter; Capt. Kirk’s form quickly materializes within it.

SCOTT: (cont’d) Here he comes.

Once the process is complete, the transporter shuts down, leaving Kirk standing there on the pad.

KIRK: Permission to come aboard, Captain?

CAPT. PIKE: Granted, Captain.

Approaching Kirk as the younger man steps down from the transporter pad, Pike offers his hand in greeting. Accepting the hand, Kirk gives it a firm shake.

KIRK: It’s a pleasure to meet you at last, sir.

CAPT. PIKE: No need for formalities, Jim. Call me Chris. (looks over at Scott) There’s a gentleman over here you should get to know ….

Pike directs Kirk over to the major. The two shake hands.

SCOTT: Maj. Montgomery Scott, sir, chief engineer. Call me Scotty.

KIRK: (smiles) We have quite a lot in common, Mr. Scott. I was assistant engineer on the Farragut; that should make our working together that much easier.

SCOTT: (perturbed) Er … that it should, sir.

With the greetings out of the way, Pike begins the tour of the ship. Once the two captains have left the transporter room, Maj. Scott frowns.

SCOTT: Och! That’s all ah need -- some wet-behind-the-ears rookie tellin’ me muh job!

INT. ENTERPRISE/CARGO BAY

Standing on a walkway, Pike and Kirk look down at the ground level of the cargo bay. Below them, S’Pock and a Saurian -- Sergeant Aennik -- work together arranging cargo.

CAPT. PIKE: You’ll want to meet my first officer, Maj. S’Pock. That’s him down there.

KIRK: The Saurian?

CAPT. PIKE: (laughs) No, the Vulcan.

KIRK: (surprised) He’s Vulcan? (squints)

CAPT. PIKE: Not a full Vulcan. He’s Human on his mother’s side.

KIRK: Must be some woman who’d settle down with a green-blooded Vulcan male. (beat) I thought your first officer was a Human woman -- Col. Robbins?

CAPT. PIKE: (smiles wistfully) Eureice Robbins was my number one. She was promoted and assigned her own command two years ago.

KIRK: Oh.

Down below, S’Pock and Aennik continue their duties.

S’POCK: (cont’d) Store those drugs in the stasis field. The machine parts aren’t perishable.

PO. AENNIK: I have already had that done, sir. (checks her PADD) The resulting rearrangement saves 112.4 cubic millimetres.

Having come down from the walkway, Kirk and Pike approach S’Pock and Aennik.

S’POCK: Excellent work, Sergeant. You -- (takes notice of the two new arrivals) Yes, Captain?

CAPT. PIKE: Sorry to interrupt, Mr. S’Pock, but I wanted you to meet the man who’ll be taking over the centre seat. This is Capt. Kirk.

S’POCK: (to Kirk) Greetings, Captain. Your record is quite impressive.

KIRK: Thank you, Mr. S’Pock. You know, I was first officer on the El Dorado, so we have a lot in --

As this conversation is occurring, the cable of a mechanical winch holding a cargo container aloft -- weakened and overstretched -- begins to snap. Sgt. Aennik immediately takes notice of the cable and the impending danger.

SGT. AENNIK: (alarmed) Look out!

Leaping forward, the Saurin pushes Kirk, Pike, and S’Pock out of the way as the cable completely gives way and sends the container crashing to the deck. Unfortunately for Aennik, she isn’t able to clear herself from the path of the descending container in time; it slams down on her lower body with crushing force, pulverizing everything from the hips down.

Aennik isn’t killed by the impact, but she is severely injured. The other three officers move in and crouch down around her as she begins to squirm and moan in complete agony.

CAPT. PIKE: (activates his comcorder) Pike to sick bay! Piper, it’s an emergency!

PIPER: (O.S.) On my way, Captain!

KIRK: (anxious) She’s in agony! Isn’t there anything we can do?

S’POCK: I am attempting that now, Captain.

Reaching out with his left hand, the calm and collected half-Vulcan gently lays it upon her head.

S’POCK: Aennik, your thoughts are my thoughts. We feel no pain ….

INT. ENTERPRISE/SICK BAY

Sometime later, Sgt. Aennik lies in a bed. Emergency surgery has already been performed on her broken body, and she is stable and in a state of comfortable, drug-induced unconsciousness. Standing a ways from her bed are Kirk, Pike, and DOCTOR MARK PIPER. A potbellied man with brown hair turned mostly gray, Piper is a man in late middle age who has all the appearance of a person who is carrying the entire weight of the galaxy on his shoulders.

CAPT. PIKE: How is she, Doctor?

PIPER: She’ll pull through, but her legs and hips were crushed. She may walk again, after reconstructive surgery … but that will take a long time. (glances back at Aennik) I don’t want to say this, but the fact of the matter is her career as a Starfleet officer is over. (angry) Good God, why did I agree to this assignment? I was planning my retirement! All the suffering I’ve had to face over the years -- I was glad to finally leave it all behind! (turns back to the others) Why did I let Command place me here?!

CAPT. PIKE: She would have died without you, Doctor -- don’t forget that.

PIPER: (sighs) I realize that, Captain. (beat) I’m just tired.

CAPT. PIKE: Kirk and I are going to my cabin for a drink. Care to join us?

PIPER: Not now, thanks. I think I’ll retire to my quarters for a nap.

INT. ENTERPRISE/PIKE’S CABIN

Entering his quarters, Capt. Pike gestures for Kirk to take a seat. As the younger captain does so, Pike goes to his desk; opening a drawer, he pulls out two short glasses and one long wine bottle.

KIRK: Piper strikes me as a good man. What’s eating him?

CAPT. PIKE: (pulls the cork from the bottle) Two months ago, my chief medical officer -- Philip Boyce -- died while on an away mission. Mark Piper, being the only qualified doctor available to us at the time, was assigned to the Enterprise on short notice; he was getting ready for retirement and doesn’t want to be here.

KIRK: Surely he can retire now that your tenure’s at an end?

CAPT. PIKE: That was supposed to be the plan, but there was a mix-up in the paperwork somewhere down the line; the doctor’s been assigned to a full five years of active duty aboard ship. (beat) He’s made appeals, and Starfleet Command’s promised to resolve the matter as soon as possible, but you know how bureaucrats are -- they love to leave their wheels spinning in the mud.

Tilting the wine bottle, Pike pours some of its dark burgundy contents into the pair of glasses. Re-corking the bottle, he picks the two glasses up and saunters over to Kirk, handing one of them to the captain.

KIRK: (takes a sip) Wow! What is this?! It tastes amazing!

CAPT. PIKE: Château Picard, vintage 1226.

KIRK: (takes another sip) You know, I have an old friend who’s a doctor -- Leonard McCoy. I would have recommended him for CMO, but he’s currently stationed on Starbase 94, around Betelgeuse; even at warp 6, it’d take him about a year to get out here.

CAPT. PIKE: (takes a seat) Maybe you should go ahead and make that recommendation. Piper’s situation should be resolved in a year; it’d be nice to have a qualified medical officer you know you can trust on hand to take his place.

KIRK: Perhaps you’re right. I’ll have to think about it. (beat) Chris, if you don’t mind my asking … how can you give all this up? (gestures toward the ship around them) How can you step down and take a desk job as “fleet captain”? A command like this is everything I’ve ever wanted. How --?

CAPT. PIKE: Jim, I’m alike Piper in many ways. We’ve both been out here too long, seen too much, and missed out on so much more. (beat) When I first received command of the Enterprise, I felt like the gods themselves had come down from the heavens and blessed me with the greatest gift any man or woman could ever receive. After those first several months passed and stretched into years, that initial enthusiasm waned; the gift became more of a curse and my command of the Enterprise became a marriage -- a hard, demanding marriage with diminishing returns. (beat) I want out of this marriage, Jim. I want to get away from her and get solid ground under my feet again. I want to settle down with a beautiful woman and create a beautiful family before it’s too late for me to do either.

A moment of silence passes between the two men.

KIRK: (raises his glass) A toast, then, Chris. May we both find whatever it is we’re looking for.

CAPT. PIKE: Amen.

They clink glasses.

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Duragizer - superb! Simply superb! Your dialogue continues to show the personalities so excellently. The "I'm ready to quit" of Dr. Piper. The candor of Christopher Pike wanting to embark on more personal adventures. The wisdom is knowing when it's time to move on. [face_thinking] Woot, Bones will definitely be a fun! and competent addition. :)

14. Duragizer

Apr 23, 2009
    Funny thing is that I originally intented to make Bones a part of the main cast starting with this episode, with he and Piper serving as professional rivals. This is the very first time I've ever written anything Trek-related, though, and Bones is a character I don't think I'm qualified to write for just now, so I decided to put him aside for now until I've had a chance to acclimate myself more to the universe.

15. Duragizer

Apr 23, 2009
    EXT. SPACE -- WRIGLEY’S PLEASURE PLANET

A few light-years away from Starbase 95, we find Wrigley’s Pleasure Planet.

An egg-shaped body approximately the same size as Rhode Island, Wrigley’s Pleasure Planet isn’t a true planet; it is a captured asteroid which has been hollowed out and equipped with antigravity generators and weather control systems, allowing a temperate, life-sustaining environment to exist upon its surface in spite of its small size.

INT. MORNING STARS RESORT/MITCHELL’S SUITE/BEDROOM -- DAY

Golden sunlight filters in through the tall, wraparound windows, filling the spacious room and falling upon the queen-sized bed currently occupied by the sleeping form of MAJ. GARY MITCHELL.

Beside Mitchell’s bed stands a short, round table, upon which rests a small holoprojector; the holoprojector suddenly begins to chirp.

MITCHELL: (frowns in his sleep) Mrffff …?

Turning over away from the table, he lifts his sheets over his head and bunches them up against his ears in a bid to muffle the sound. When this proves inadequate, he angrily slaps at the projector, hoping to make contact with the button that’ll turn the device off. Instead, a short holographic projection of himself -- standing tall in a blue-and-white T-shirt and dark gray Bermuda shorts -- flickers to life.

MITCHELL’S HOLOGRAM: Hi there, Gary. This is you, yourself, approximately sixteen hours ago, telling you to wake up!

Hearing his own voice yelling at him, Gary bolts upright in bed, fully awake.

MITCHELL’S HOLOGRAM: (cont’d) Knowing you were going to spend your last hours of freedom partying like it’s 1399, I figured you’d be too swept up in your hangover to remember you’re supposed to leave early today for Starbase 95.

MITCHELL: (groggy) Oh, God -- what time is it?

As Mitchell begins fumbling about in search of his chronometre, the hologram replies.

MITCHELL’S HOLOGRAM: (cont’d) Don’t worry, Gary. I programmed this message to play three hours before the last shuttle leaves for the starbase. That leaves you plenty of time to get fed, showered, dressed, packed, and to the spaceport.

MITCHELL: I really think of everything, don’t I?

MITCHELL’S HOLOGRAM: James chose you to be his first officer. You wouldn’t want to disappoint him, would you?

MITCHELL: (turns off the holoprojector) No, you wouldn’t.

As Mitchell gets ready to leave his bed, a near-Human woman with orange skin, a head of large, feathery white hair, and a tray of food held between her hands enters the bedroom; dressed solely in a purple nightshirt, she is an exotically beautiful female.

ORANGE LADYFRIEND: (smiles) Morning, Gar, honey. (lifts up the tray, tilting it left-and-right in a little dance) I brought you a little something.

MITCHELL: (grins) Breakfast in bed. My favourite.

Having entered the docking bay, the Vrekasht -- an Ericsson-class warp shuttle -- makes its approach toward the Enterprise.

INT. VREKASHT/COCKPIT

Inside the spacious cockpit of the shuttle sit only two individuals: the pilot -- a black-and-silver furred Caitian male -- and Nyota Uhura herself. Having traded in her civilian garb, she is now dressed in her Starfleet uniform; aside from the black skirt, it is identical in form to those red-jacketed uniforms we’ve already seen worn by other operations division officers.

CAITIAN PILOT: (turns to Uhura) The Enterprise is prepared to receive you. Are you ready to beam over, Lieutenant?

UHURA: I’m ready.

CAITIAN PILOT: Step onto the transporter pad and I’ll start the transfer.

Nodding once in acknowledgement, Uhura picks the suitcase which has been resting down beside her up and crosses over to the transporter pad installed in the rear of the cockpit.

CAITIAN PILOT: (activates transporter) Energizing.

ENTERPRISE/TRANSPORTER ROOM

Once the transportation is finalized, Uhura finds herself standing inside the Enterprise’s transporter room. Manning the controls is 2ND LIEUTENANT JOHN THOMAS KYLE, a man with blond hair, blue eyes, and sharp features, dressed in a red jumpsuit.

Stepping away from the transporter controls, Kyle approaches Uhura as she steps down from the pad.

KYLE: (smiles) Welcome aboard the Enterprise (offers her his hand) So, you’re the new comm officer? I’m John -- John Kyle.

UHURA: (shakes his hand) Nyota Uhura. (takes a gander about the room) So, this is the Enterprise.

KYLE: Yep, this is the old girl, alright.

UHURA: How long have you been assigned here, John?

KYLE: Oh, I’m new to the crew. I arrived here from the P2M-0057 colony just over a week ago.

UHURA: Have you had any trouble fitting in?

KYLE: Nope. Most everyone here’s pretty welcoming and friendly. Oh, except Mr. S’Pock, but he’s a Vulcan, so that’s to be expected from him. (beat) I hope you’re not thinking what I think you’re thinking. A lady such as yourself shouldn’t have any trouble making this ship home away from home.

UHURA: (half-smiles) From your lips to God’s ears, Mr. Kyle.

INT. MANSION/DEN -- EVENING

In the large, spacious, finely furnished den of a luxurious mansion located in an unknown location sits MALCOLM MCDOWELL. Seated in a leather upholstered armchair before a crackling fireplace, he drinks a dry martini through a crazy straw while ALANIS MORISSETTE stands over him; dressed in a bright red bikini top and bottom, her lips slathered in dark violet lipstick, and her hair styled in a big, curly ‘80s style, she holds Malcolm’s eyes open with a pair of robotic hands while she deposits eye drops with her organic ones.

Without warning, the door behind them is kicked open with a violent CRASH. Spinning around, Alanis’ eyes go wide as CHRISTOPHER LAMBERT -- dressed in DayGlo coveralls and sporting a long mullet -- storms in, a pair of heavy disruptor rifles held in both hands.

CHRISTOPHER LAMBERT: (grins) Do you want to live forever?

Opening fire, Lambert lays waste to the den and its inhabitants, laughing maniacally.

CUT TO

James Kirk seated in his quarters aboard the Saladin, watching a movie on a flatscreen display.

Suddenly, the door buzzer outside his quarters rings.

KIRK: Come.

The door slides open. Turning toward the open doorway, Kirk finds Gary Mitchell standing there, wearing his red Starfleet uniform and a crap-eating grin upon his face.

MITCHELL: One first officer, reporting as ordered.

KIRK: (shocked) Gary? (ecstatic) Gary! (beat) You’re a sight for sore eyes, you old space dog!

MITCHELL: You’re uglier than ever, Jimmy-Boy!

Mitchell enters the room and the two men greet each other vigorously, happy to see one another for the first time in several months.

MITCHELL: I hear Starfleet’s given you the Enterprise. Good thing you’ve got me to keep you out of trouble.

KIRK: That was just a ruse to lure you here. Actually, they want me to keep an eye on you.

MITCHELL: (claps Kirk on the back) Listen, we’ve got some time before the change-of-command ceremony, right?

KIRK: (checks his chrono) About two-and-a-half hours.

MITCHELL: Good. I’ll buy you a lunch and a drink, to celebrate. How’s that sound?

KIRK: (shrugs) Sounds good to me.

INT. STARBASE 95/BAR

Having made their way to a bar, Kirk and Mitchell now sit at a table next to viewport which looks out onto the barren orb of P1C-0072.

MITCHELL: (looking out at the planet) What a view. (turns to Kirk) Couldn’t they have parked this station over a comelier planet?

Kirk merely shrugs. Mitchell picks up a menu and begins to read it over.

MITCHELL: Ah, this looks good: “Bolian Zombie”.

KIRK: (frowns) Isn’t that stuff at least 130 proof?

MITCHELL: (grins) Thank modern medicine for ocular implants.

Mitchell enters the order into a small keypad set in the centre of the table. Moments later, an Andorian waitress saunters over to their table, a pair of Bolian Zombies balanced on a tray in her hands.

After the drinks are placed on the table and the waitress leaves, Kirk just sits there, looking at the tall glass before him; layers of silver liquor -- lightest shades on the top, darkest on the bottom -- fill the glass, a straw and some blue fruit protruding from the top.

MITCHELL: (sucks on his straw) Ahh, that’s nice. Give yours a taste, James.

Picking out the bit of fruit and eating it, Kirk picks the glass up and puts the rim to his lips. Before he can take a sip, though, Mitchell takes hold of the captain’s wrist and forces it back down.

MITCHELL: (irate) Use the straw! Breaking the layers is an insult to the bartender!

KIRK: Gary, there is no bartender. The waitress synthesized these drinks for us.

MITCHELL: The principle’s the same. It came in layers, it has to be drunk in layers.

KIRK: Alright, if that will make you happy.

Putting the straw to his lips, Kirk drains the bottom layer of his drink. Before he can even finish swallowing, he’s coughing violently, his eyes flowing hot with tears.

MITCHELL: (drinks two whole layers from his glass) As you know, I only have a taster’s tolerance for booze, but this stuff’s pretty enjoyable. What do you think of it?

Having gained some semblance of control over his coughing fit, Kirk hurriedly punches another order into the keypad.

KIRK: (hoarse) “Enjoyable” doesn’t even begin to describe it!

As the Andorian waitress returns to their table, Kirk is quick to spring up and snatch the tall glass of ice water from her tray, greedily downing the cold liquid in three large swallows.

INT. ENTERPRISE/BRIDGE

Attired in a green dress uniform, S’Pock makes his way to the command chair. Aside from himself, the bridge is entirely empty.

Pushing a button set into one of the armrests, he activates the intercom, opening a transmission to all regions of the starship.

S’POCK: This is Maj. S’Pock. May I have the attention of all crewmembers. (beat) The change-of-command ceremony will take place on the recreation deck in thirty minutes precisely. Dress is formal. Your presence is expected.

With the message given, S’Pock cuts the transmission.

16. Duragizer

Apr 23, 2009
    INT. STARBASE 95/BAR

A little over two hours have passed since Kirk and Mitchell ordered their first Bolian Zombies; while the captain is still nursing that first drink, the major -- inebriated to the max -- is currently on his fourth.

MITCHELL: (slurring) A toast to Capt. Kirk! (beat) I always said you’d make admiral, or prison, before thirty-three!

KIRK: I’m thirty-two, Gary. I’d have to work at it to accomplish either in your time limit.

MITCHELL: Ah, but you’re a captain, and I’m only a lowly major. You’ve travelled fast and far.

KIRK: (smirks) Is that why you’re trying to make me drunk, Gary?

MITCHELL: (frowns) What? No! You deserve your prizes, and I deserve what I’ve won ... which isn’t bad, come to think of it, except perhaps compared to you. (laughs) No, oh, no …. I just thought, when I saw you, how funny Rhabé was on the day he got his commission ….

Mitchell then collapses across the table, spilling the rest of their drinks in the process, caught in a fit of giggles. As the other clientele in the bar look their way, Kirk blushes with embarrassment.

KIRK: Gary? Come on, Gary, time to go.

On a whim, Kirk takes a look at his chrono. Realizing what time it is, he leaps up from his seat in shock.

KIRK: (shakes Mitchell) Gary!

MITCHELL: Mrffff ….

Jamming his shoulder under one of Mitchell’s arms, he heaves the semi-conscious major up to his feet.

MITCHELL: (grinning and drooling) Are we going to another party?

KIRK: We’re going back to your room.

With Mitchell in tow, Kirk leaves their table. As he passes the front counter, the Andorian waitress stops him with a raised hand.

ANDORIAN WAITRESS: (slides a credit chip reader across the counter to Kirk) You have to pay for your drinks, hon.

Frowning and sighing in indignation, Kirk reaches into his jacket and feels around for his credit chip. Finding it, he pulls it out, slips it into the reader, enters his personal code, and waits for the transfer to go through. Once the transfer of funds is made, he retrieves the chip from the reader.

ANDORIAN WAITRESS: (grins) Stop by again anytime, and don’t forget to bring your friend along with you.

Grumbling, Kirk half-drags, half-carries Mitchell from the bar.

INT. STARBASE 95/HABITAT SECTION/CORRIDOR

With Mitchell in tow, Kirk heads toward Mitchell’s room. Mitchell, still as drunk as ever, is a dead weight in the arms of the captain.

KIRK: Come on, Gary! If you don’t hurry, I’m going to be late! (beat) Damn your so-called sense of humour, anyway.

MITCHELL: (chuckles) You’ll thank me, James.

KIRK: Thank you!? For trying to get me drunk before change of command?!

MITCHELL: Some ceremonies are better endured with the use of a crutch.

KIRK: A crutch is what I’m going to need after I get you back to your room. (beat) Can’t you walk by yourself?

Pulling himself away from Kirk, Mitchell manages to keep himself unsteadily upright.

MITCHELL: Walk by myself? Of course.

Mitchell then topples forward. Kirk manages to catch him just in time.

MITCHELL: See? I’m quite capable of navigating on my own. Go on ahead to your ceremony.

KIRK: I couldn’t possibly.

INT. STARBASE 95/HABITAT SECTION/MITCHELL’S QUARTERS

Opening the door into Mitchell’s rented quarters, Kirk hauls the intoxicated first officer inside and then deposits him in the nearest available sofa.

MITCHELL: There’s a bottle of Saurian brandy in the kitchen cupboard. Let’s have a toast to your new mission.

KIRK: Neither of us need any brandy, Saurian or otherwise.

As Kirk turns to leave, Mitchell tries to push himself up from the sofa.

MITCHELL: I’m your first officer … I’ve gotta come with you. Can’t miss … your coronation.

KIRK: As your commanding officer, I excuse you of any duty you have in attending the change-of-command ceremony.

MITCHELL: Nonsense. Just give me a minute to --

Collapsing forward on his face, the major begins to snore.

KIRK: (smiles) Sleep well, Gary.

The captain departs.

INT. ACCESS TUNNEL

Having detoured briefly to the Saladin to switch into his green dress uniform, Kirk has now arrived at the access tunnel leading into the USS Enterprise. A countless number of VIPs -- Starfleet officers; civilian dignitaries; and reporters from every news medium in the Federation -- stand in the path before Kirk. Entering the morass of bodies Human, near-Human, semi-Human, and pseudo-alien, Kirk begins pushing himself through, fighting to get to the head of the crowd.

As Kirk nears his destination, he sees the heads of Cdre. Pike and GENERAL KIMITAKE NOGUCHI over the crowd; the two officers are deep in concentration and do not yet notice the captain.

As Kirk prepares to make his way past the final line of onlookers to the general and commodore, he is stopped by the sight of two individuals -- dressed in clothing plainer than that worn by the others in the access tunnel -- out of the corner of his eye. Turning his head, he sees them clearly.

KIRK: (surprised) Mom! Sam!

There stands Kirk’s mother and older brother, WINONA and SAMUEL KIRK. A short woman in late middle age, Winona is still pretty for her age. Sam, minus his mustache and slightly receded hairline, is almost an exact twin of his younger brother. Both smile broadly at the sight of James R. Kirk standing there before them.

KIRK: What are you doing here? When did you get here? How long can you stay?

WINONA KIRK: We came to see you take command of the Enterprise, of course.

SAMUEL KIRK: But if you don’t hurry up, they’re going to auction it off to the highest bidder.

Glancing at Noguchi and Pike, Kirk sees that they have finally caught notice of his presence. They wear expressions of patient amusement upon their faces, as they both understand that the joy of seeing one’s loved ones after a long separation overwhelms mere protocol.

Turning back to Sam and Winona, he hugs her and claps him on the back, then leaves their side to join Pike and Noguchi. Together, the three officers head into the body of the USS Enterprise.

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Dude, the Mitchell/Jim scenes are too fun! Two scoundrels on the loose [face_laugh] Fangirls beware! [face_mischief] I'm sure Jim was very happy to see his mom and brother there for the send-off. :D @};-

18. Duragizer

Apr 23, 2009
    INT. ENTERPRISE/RECREATION DECK

The recreation deck has been turned into a reception hall. All the starship’s officers have gathered here. A podium and lectern stood on the stage at one end; tables along one wall held trays of food, racks of champagne bottles, and rows of sparkling glasses.

Lieutenants Sulu and Kelso are helping themselves to a platter of hor d’oeuvres when they notice Uhura in amongst the crowd.

KELSO: Hey, Sulu, who’s the lady?

SULU: That’s Lt. Uhura, our new communications officer.

KELSO: (cocks an eyebrow) No kidding? Hope she’s only married to the service.

Elsewhere, we come to 1ST LT. HADIA RUAN, the Enterprise’s infantry commander and chief of security. Judging by appearances, she is a Human or near-Human woman, in her thirties, with long black hair pinned back in a utilitarian style, bronze skin, and intense hazel eyes. Though a striking beauty, there is an underlying hardness to her features which shouts “WATCH YOURSELF”.

She is staring into her glass of champagne with apparent contempt when Scotty sidles up to her.

SCOTT: Penny for yer thoughts?

RUAN: If I ever meet the insect who passed the act prohibiting real alcohol from sanctioned Starfleet events, I’ll drown it in a vat of this synthetic swill.

Taking care not to be noticed, Scott reaches into his jacket and pulls out a copper flask. Unscrewing the cap, he carefully lifts it over the rim of Ruan’s glass and pours some of the rich brown contents into it.

RUAN: (grins) Why, Major -- is that what I think it is?

SCOTT: (taps his nose) Ye can return th’ favour later, Lieutenant.

Noguchi, Pike, and Kirk then arrive, drawing the attention of all present.

SCOTT: Looks like th’ ceremony’s about t’ start.

INT. ENTERPRISE/RECREATION DECK -- MONTAGE

Over the next hour, speeches from the general, commodore, and captain are made.

CUT TO

The ceremony as it draws to a close.

Pike, holding a sabre sheathed in an ornate gold scabbard, stands before Gen. Noguchi on the stage.

GEN. NOGUCHI: (cont’d) … and have you, Cdre. Christopher Pike, faithfully executed your duties as a captain of Starfleet?

CDRE. PIKE (CAPT. PIKE): To the best of my abilities, General, I have strengthened interstellar peace, I have kept the Prime Directive, I have obeyed my oath.

Taking the sabre, Pike presents it before the general.

CDRE. PIKE: (cont’d) I return to you this sword, a token of the ship on which I served.

Noguchi accepts the sword and Pike takes a step back. The general then turns to face Kirk.

GEN. NOGUCHI: Capt. Kirk, stand forward.

The captain steps forward.

GEN. NOGUCHI: Let all present know your name and rank.

KIRK: Capt. James Regis Kirk.

GEN. NOGUCHI: Capt. Kirk, do you swear to maintain interstellar peace, to uphold the Prime Directive, to obey your oath to captaincy?

KIRK: I … do, sir.

GEN. NOGUCHI: (presents the sabre to Kirk) Then receive this symbol of your new office, captain of the Enterprise!

Kirk accepts the sword, and the crowd breaks out in applause.

SULU: So, what do you think, Kelso? Is Kirk the man to take Capt. Pike’s place?

KELSO: Ask me again in five years.

SCOTT: Aye!

FADE TO

The recreation deck sometime later.

As the after-ceremony celebrations continue, Kirk, Pike, Noguchi, and Winona and Sam Kirk stand off to the side away from prying eyes and ears.

CDRE. PIKE: Captain, the starship Enterprise is yours. (shakes Kirk’s hand) I know you’ll find her and her crew as faithful as I did.

KIRK: (smiles) Thank you, Commodore.

With a slight smile, Cdre. Christopher Pike turns and leaves, never once looking back.

SAMUEL KIRK: Hey, Jim -- that was a great speech you made.

WINONA KIRK: (smiles) I agree completely.

KIRK: Thanks, Sam -- Mom.

Gen. Noguchi turns to Winona.

GEN. NOGUCHI: Winona, it’s a pleasure to see you again. Especially now.

WINONA KIRK: It’s been a while, Kimitake, hasn’t it?

GEN. NOGUCHI: Yes, a long time. Since before …. Well, George would have been very proud, I think.

WINONA KIRK: Yes, he would.

GEN. NOGUCHI: (offers Winona his arm) We mustn’t offend the chefs by ignoring their day’s work. I understand they’ve created quite the spread for us. I’m told the chocolate cake is particularly delectable. (beat) Winona?

WINONA KIRK: (takes Noguchi’s arm in hers) Thank you, Kimi.

The older folks depart arm-in-arm, leaving the two Kirk brothers alone.

KIRK: (seizes Sam by the shoulders) My lord, I’m glad to see you. When did you get in? Where’s Aurelan? How’s my nephew? Why didn’t you tell me you were coming?

SAMUEL KIRK: We just arrived. There’s a xenobiology conference, so we got our ways paid. We weren’t certain we’d arrive in time for the ceremony. We figured if we did, we’d surprise you. (beat) Peter’s fine -- he’s learning geometry. Aurelan … she sends her love, but she’s in the middle of an experiment and can’t leave it.

KIRK: You look great, Sam. Everything’s going well?

SAMUEL KIRK: (grins) Never better.

Leading Jim over to a table, Sam picks up a pair of champagne glasses.

SAMUEL KIRK: (hands a glass to Jim) To my little brother and his ship.

Raising their glasses in a toast, they down the contents.

SAMUEL KIRK: How’s Mitch doing, anyway? Isn’t he supposed to be here?

KIRK: (smiles wryly) He had a bad run-in with pink pachyderms from Bolarus IX. He’s sleeping it off.

SAMUEL KIRK: Ah. (beat) Jim, Mom’s going back to Earth. P3M-0107’s done her good, and she loves being a grandmother -- I never saw her enjoy anything as much as she enjoys spoiling Peter. You ought to --

Noticing Jim’s suddenly distant expression, he clams up.

SAMUEL KIRK: (cont’d) You ought to visit us and see how you like being an uncle. (beat) Anyway, Mom and Aurelan and I wrote a paper -- it’s coming out in Jox. She wants to follow up on it on Earth, in Iowa, back on the homestead.

KIRK: That’s good news. (beat) It’s going to be a while before she gets the opportunity. It’s a three-year trip back to Earth from here.

SAMUEL KIRK: (sighs) Well, like they say: Warp travel’s not the best way to travel faster than the speed of light --

KIRK: -- it’s just the only known way.

Grinning, Sam heads on over to the table with the chocolate cake. Taking up a piece, he bites into it.

SAMUEL KIRK: (mouth full) Jim, aren’t you going to enjoy your own party? Kimitake was right -- the chocolate cake is terrific.

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL Depend on Scott to have the "real" stuff [face_mischief] Love the talk between brothers. They seem close and open with one another. :) It's fascinating seeing the Enterprise crew so cohesive and getting a change at the top [face_thinking] They'll have to get used to, and learn to trust, someone with a vastly different command style, I'm thinking. [face_laugh] [face_love]

20. Duragizer

Apr 23, 2009
    He never leaves home without it. :cool:

21. Duragizer

Apr 23, 2009
    INT. ENTERPRISE/BRIDGE

On-board the bridge, the bridge crew -- Maj. Gary Mitchell; Maj. S’Pock; Lt. Nyota Uhura; Lt. Hikaru Sulu; and Lt. Lee Kelso -- are all present; only Capt. James Kirk is absent.

As we look upon S’Pock and Mitchell, we notice a change in the uniforms they now wear. S’Pock, no longer the Enterprise’s first officer, now wears a blue jacket of the sciences division; Mitchell has replaced his red jacket with one of command gold.

S’POCK: All stations report ready, Mr. Mitchell.

Mitchell, seated at the helm, winces, still suffering the aftereffects from his drinking binge the night before.

MITCHELL: Thank you, Mr. S’Pock. (turns in his seat until he sits facing the empty command chair) All we need now is someone in the centre seat.

Just as soon as those words are spoken, the bridge turbolift discharges James R. Kirk.

MITCHELL: Captain on the bridge!

Everyone on the bridge snaps to attention at Mitchell’s announcement.

KIRK: At ease.

As the bridge crew relaxes, Kirk walks up to the command chair and sits down in it -- tenderly, lovingly.

KIRK: Status report, Mr. Mitchell?

MITCHELL: All stations ready, Captain.

KIRK: Detach all moorings. Prepare to leave Starbase 95.

Detaching from its mooring, the Enterprise backs away and then turns on its axis until it’s facing the opposite direction. Impulse engines engaging, the craft begins its run to the exit.

EXT. SPACE -- STARBASE 95

The large bay door opens, allowing the Enterprise out to the airless splendour of free, star-studded space.

INT. ENTERPRISE/BRIDGE

KELSO: We have cleared Starbase 95, sir.

KIRK: Viewer on aft. Let’s have one last look at the starbase ….

An image of Starbase 95 appears on the viewscreen.

KIRK: (cont’d) It’ll be the last time we see it for five years.

With that said, Kirk then reaches for a button on an armrest; pressing it, he activates the recorder.

KIRK: Ship’s log, StarDate 1312.16, Capt. James R. Kirk reporting. With all personnel aboard, we have left Starbase 95 and are preparing to leave system S1K-28313. (beat) Words are insufficient to express what this moment means to me. I’ve had a dream for every day of my life since I was fourteen, and I’ve finally realized that dream: to sit in the command chair of the Enterprise, as her captain, taking her out into the wild, untamed regions of the galaxy.

EXT. SPACE -- P1C-0072

With the Enterprise travelling at full impulse, Starbase 95, P1C-0072, and the parent red dwarf star recede into the distance until they all but vanish in the distance.

KIRK: (O.S.) For the next five years, my crew and I’ll be patrolling the Delta Sector border, far from the centres of our civilization; I don’t know what those years hold in store for us, but I’m all-too-eagre to find out.

EXT. SPACE

The local spacetime around the Enterprise begins to fluctuate, rippling wildly, until it distends and wraps itself in a ball around the ship, catapulting it on its way through the depths of warp space toward the Delta Sector.

EXT. SPACE -- STARBASE 104

In the depths of deep space -- floating free without a star, planet, or other large body to orbit around -- is Starbase 104, a K-class space station.

INT. STARBASE 104/OPERATIONS CENTRE

Under the great big dome which tops Starbase 104 lies the station’s ops centre. Seated in the centre of ops, his thick legs propped up on his desk and large hands behind his head, is CAPT. QULOOB. While not quite asleep, the Tellarite captain keeps his eyes closed to save his eyes the strain of looking at nothing worth the effort.

Ops’ turbolift door slides open, allowing a Human woman to step out. Dressed in operations red, her long blond hair styled high atop her head and her shapely legs blatantly evident below her black skirt, is the stunningly sexy, blue-eyed YEOMAN JANICE RAND. Approaching the captain’s desk, she takes the large PADD held under her arm out and hands it out to the Tellarite.

RAND: Here are those stats you wanted, Captain.

CAPT. QULOOB: (opens his eyes) Oh, yes. (accepts the PADD) Thank you, Yeoman.

Looking the data on the PADD’s screen over, he takes a gander at the young Human woman.

CAPT. QULOOB: You look peaked, Janice. Did you sleep at all last night?

RAND: (rubs the bridge of her nose) Not really, sir.

CAPT. QULOOB: Have you been in to see Dr. Olié? Maybe he can prescribe something for your insomnia.

RAND: I have an appointment to see him Eighthday.

CAPT. QULOOB: I think you should call it a day, Janice. Retire to your quarters and try to get some rest.

RAND: Is that an order, Captain?

CAPT. QULOOB: Do I have to make it one?

RAND: (smiles thinly) No, you don’t.

CAPT. (returns his attention to the PADD) Goodnight, Yeoman.

RAND: ‘Night, Captain.

Turning on her heel, Janice prepares to leave the captain to himself.

BETAZOID SCIENCE OFFICER: Captain!

CAPT. QULOOB: (frowns) What is it?

BETAZOID SCIENCE OFFICER: Sensors detect three large vessels on approach.

CAPT. QULOOB: No one’s scheduled to arrive for another six hours. (beat) Can you identify them?

BETAZOID SCIENCE OFFICER: (shakes his head) No, sir. Their subspace markers have been disengaged.

CAPT. QULOOB: (to the comm officer) Open hailing frequencies.

COMM OFFICER: (opens hailing frequencies) They’re refusing to respond.

With three bursts of disrupted spacetime, three starships drop out of warp into normal space right before the starbase. These three ships are long-necked K’t’inga-class battle cruisers, warships of the dread Klingon Empire.

BETAZOID SCIENCE OFFICER: (alarmed) Three D7 cruisers -- dead ahead of us!

CAPT. QULOOB: Quick! Throw up deflectors before --!

The forwardmost K’t’inga powers up its disruptor banks and opens fire. Deflector shields spring up around the starbase, but a split-second too late; the sickly green energy beam manages to score a direct hit on the station’s main body.

A tremor makes its way through the length of the starbase, and then the on-board lighting begins to flicker erratically.

BETAZOID SCIENCE OFFICER: We’ve received severe damage to our reactor, Captain!

CAPT. QULOOB: Can we maintain shields?

The science officer enters a series of commands into his console. Automatically, the lights go completely out.

BETAZOID SCIENCE OFFICER: I’ve diverted all power from non-essential systems, but --

CAPT. QULOOB: (interrupting) Bring our phasers on-line.

BETAZOID SCIENCE OFFICER: I can’t do that without dropping shields first.

All three Klingon battle cruisers power up their disruptors and open fire. Devastating green beams wash over the starbase’s weakened shields, weakening them even further.

Finally, the shields wink out altogether, leaving the station completely vulnerable to the Klingons’ onslaught.

BETAZOID SCIENCE OFFICER: Captain, our shields are down.

CAPT. QULOOB: (angry) By the goddess’ bulge, where are our phasers?!

Before the Betazoid can answer, the forwardmost K’t’inga opens fire again. With this hit, the generators are utterly destroyed; power to the starbase goes completely dead.

22. Duragizer

Apr 23, 2009
    EXT. WARP SPACE -- ENTERPRISE

The Enterprise continues to travel through the darkness of warp space, blue spiderweb patterns appearing and disappearing sporadically across the otherwise invisible walls of the field holding this small pocket universe together.

KIRK: (V.O.) Ship’s log, StarDate 1312.21, Capt. James R. Kirk reporting. (beat) Five days have passed since we departed Starbase 95, and we are on a delivery run to Starbase 104, our cargo bay laden with supplies the station is in need of. (beat) There’s a day left in-transit before we reach the starbase, so I’ve decided to kill some time exploring my new ship ….

INT. ENTERPRISE/MAIN ENGINEERING

Entering main engineering, the captain finds this section of the ship a-bustle with activity; various crewmen in engineering suits make their way to-and-fro about their duties, working hard to keep the warp drive and associated systems in top operating condition. Nodding with silent approval, the captain finds his way to Mr. Scott.

SCOTT: (notices Kirk and stops what he’s doing to acknowledge the captain’s presence) Er … Capt. Kirk.

KIRK: I thought I’d get acquainted with the ship.

Walking around Scotty, Kirk continues to scrutinize the surrounding systems and equipment.

KIRK: I’m very impressed, Mr. Scott.

SCOTT: (hopeful) Then ye’ll want to be making some speed trials, will ye, Captain?

KIRK: Not just now, Mr. Scott. Maybe later in the trip.

SCOTT: But, Captain --

KIRK: (firm) Later, Mr. Scott.

Scott decides to remain silent. Once Kirk leaves, he frowns to himself.

SCOTT: (in a mock Shatnerian impression) Later, Mr. Scott! (beat) Blast it out yer shaft, ye inexperienced tyro ….

INT. ENTERPRISE/RECREATION DECK

The recreation deck (having returned to the state it was in prior to the change-of-command ceremony held at Starbase 95) has been subdivided into a multitude of gymnasiums, game rooms, and lounges.

In one of the lounges, S’Pock sits alone at a table, playing a game of three-dimensional chess against himself. Deep in concentration, he doesn’t make an effort to acknowledge Captain Kirk’s presence as the Human enters the room and walks up to him.

KIRK: Need an opponent?

S’POCK: No, Captain.

KIRK: Why are you playing alone?

S’POCK: Because, Captain, no one on board plays at my level.

KIRK: You’re modest, aren’t you?

S’POCK: I am neither modest nor immodest; both are character traits beyond which Vulcans have evolved. I state a fact.

KIRK: (scrutinizes the chessboard) Are you playing black or white?

S’POCK: Both, of course, Captain.

KIRK: But black’s move? (smiles wrily) Of course?

Making a noncommittal sound, S’Pock proceeds to move a piece: queen to queen’s pawn D-4. Placing the piece down, he thoughtfully draws his hand back.

KIRK: White to checkmate in three.

As the half-Vulcan looks up at him in disbelief, Kirk simply turns around, leisurely surveys the lounge, and then strolls away.

INT. ENTERPRISE/MESS HALL

It is dinner time aboard the Enterprise, and a good number of the ship’s crew have assembled to eat.

S’Pock approaches one of the mess hall’s food synthesizers.

S’POCK: Computer, green salad, undressed.

As soon as the request is given, a tray with a plate of undressed green salad materializes within the synthesizer’s slot.

Taking the tray, S’Pock makes his way over to his usual table. Unfortunately for the major, who prefers to eat alone, the table is occupied by some of the female crew members: the exotic, dusky Zahra Jamal; the pretty, auburn-haired Marla McGivers; and the cat-eyed Hazarstennaj. Talking with one another animatedly, they freeze and fall silent once they see S’Pock standing over them. Hesitating but a single moment, the half-Vulcan decides to take a seat with them.

CPL. JAMAL: (uneasy) Uh, Mr. S’Pock ….

S’POCK: Yes, Corporal?

CPL. JAMAL: Nothing. I mean, hello, sir.

Accepting her greeting without response, S’Pock settles down to eat. Grasping his fork, he spears some of the greens and lifts them to his mouth. Before he has a chance to bite down, though, the smell of the vegetables reaches his nostrils. Assaulted by the scent, he slowly puts the fork down and glances at the meals of his table partners; Jamal is having broiled salmon, McGivers some type of glazed fowl, and Hazarstennaj a large, raw, 1-kilo steak; from the look of things, their plates have barely been touched.

S’POCK: Are your meals satisfactorily synthesized?

The others exchange glances. McGivers then giggles.

S’POCK: Erroneous synthesis is a serious matter. I did not intend levity.

2ND LT. MCGIVERS: I know that, Mr. S’Pock, but we were just talking about the food. It’s been getting worse all day.

S’POCK: The synthesizers must have been reprogrammed. I suspect the maintenance crews misadjusted them at Starbase 95.

CPL. JAMAL: Anything’s a disappointment after the fresh salmon we had on Two Dawns, but this tastes like … (cringes) chicken.

2ND LT. MCGIVERS: I knew I was challenging the synthesizer, so I suppose I was asking for it.

S’POCK: I beg your pardon, Lieutenant, but do you mean you got the meal you asked for, or you did not get the meal you asked for?

2ND LT. MCGIVERS: (grins) Both. Neither. What I asked for was duck lu-se-te. It’s a variation of duck à l’orange, but le-se is from my homeworld, and it’s green. (beat) I didn’t expect the synthesizer to know what I was asking for. It didn’t reject the request … but it didn’t exactly fill it, either. This tastes like … (cringes) wood pulp and sugar syrup.

S’POCK: Am I correct in assuming that this is not what you wished it to taste like?

2ND LT. MCGIVERS: You are correct.

A1C. HAZARSTENNAJ: Wood pulp and syrup would be an improvement on this!

Growling, the felinoid airman picks up a shred of pink meat and thrusts it before S’Pock’s face. The half-Vulcan barely manages to keep himself from recoiling in disgust.

A1C. HAZARSTENNAJ: Taste it!

S’POCK: Your assurance that it is unacceptable is quite sufficient.

A1C. HAZARSTENNAJ: No, you must taste it to get the full effect. It tastes like … (cringes) it tastes like vegetables.

Cocking an eyebrow, S’Pock picks the morsel from Hazarstennaj’s slender fingers, gives it a sniff, then pops it in his mouth. Chewing carefully, allowing the full flavour of the food to cover his palate, he swallows.

S’POCK: (picks up his forkful of salad and offers it to Hazard) Perhaps you will find this to your taste.

A1C. HAZARSTENNAJ: (growls) You wish me to eat leaves?

CPL. JAMAL: Hazard will never live it down if she eats a salad, Mr. S’Pock.

S’POCK: The salad may be her only choice if she wishes animal protein in her dinner.

Growling softly, Hazarstennaj plucks the bit of salad off S’Pock’s fork and, with trepidation, places it in her mouth.

A1C. HAZARSTENNAJ: (surprised) It is cooked!

S’POCK: That is true.

Taking her plate, Hazard swaps it for S’Pock’s.

A1C. HAZARSTENNAJ: Better than nothing. I will trade you.

S’POCK: Very well. (divides the huge pseudo-steak in three) Lt. McGivers, Cpl. Jamal, will you have some? It tastes -- I assume -- more acceptable than wood pulp or chicken.

JAMAL & MCGIVERS: (in unison) Thanks.

Taking two-thirds of his pseudo-steak, S’Pock places either piece on each of the Humans’ plates. Meanwhile, Hazard consumes her meat salad with great relish before going off to order another.

INT. ENTERPRISE/KIRK’S QUARTERS

Kirk is seated at his desk, dividing his finite attention between his computer console, a PADD, and several hardcopy printouts when a BUZZ resounds through his door.

KIRK: Come.

The door opens and Maj. Mitchell saunters in.

MITCHELL: Did you eat?

KIRK: Eat?

MITCHELL: Dinner.

KIRK: Oh, Lord -- I lost track of time. (shakes his head) I don’t believe it -- five days into my five-year mission, and I’m already behind on my paperwork.

MITCHELL: (looks at the mess of Kirk’s desk) What’s all this?

KIRK: It’s, you know, (waves his hands) paperwork.

MITCHELL: Why are you doing it?

KIRK: It has to be done. (beat) I always do it, but I never had quite so much of it before.

MITCHELL: Where’s your yeoman?

KIRK: I don’t have a yeoman.

MITCHELL: (nonplussed) You don’t have one?

KIRK: I’ve never had one before.

MITCHELL: You’ve never been captain of a Constitution-class starship before.

KIRK: (irate) I don’t want a yeoman. I don’t need someone fussing over me and sticking things under my nose to sign and being sure the synthesizer put the right amount of carbohydrates in my food.

MITCHELL: (draws up a chair and straddles it) James, permit your ol’ buddy, ol’ pal Mitch to give you some friendly advice. You’re commanding twice as many people as you ever have before. Starfleet paperwork increases in proportion to the size of the crew.

KIRK: It’ll be alright as soon as I get caught up.

MITCHELL: You’ll never get caught up. You know you’ll never get caught up. This isn’t your job anymore.

KIRK: I suppose you have a magical solution.

MITCHELL: James, go down to the quartermaster’s office, pick out a likely clerk, and promote them.

KIRK: It’ll take me more time to train somebody to do this than it would to do it myself.

MITCHELL: Not in the long run. Not if you pick someone with more than half a brain.

KIRK: (sighs) Alright, I’ll try it -- on a temporary basis.

MITCHELL: (smiles) Good. (walks over to the food synthesizer) Now, what do you want?

KIRK: Gary, I can feed myself.

MITCHELL: Just consider me acting yeoman for the time being.

KIRK: (sighs) Surprise me.

MITCHELL: Computer, roast teracaq with a side of west Centauri poutine and iced jestral tea.

The order materializes. Picking it up, Mitchell carries it over and sets it down before the captain.

MITCHELL: Bon appetit.

As the lieutenant commander departs, Kirk picks up his fork and knife and slices off a thin piece of the teracaj. As he bites into the meat, though, his face turns green, and he quickly spits it out into his napkin. The unwelcome taste still in his mouth, he picks up his mug of tea and takes a sip, only to automatically spew the horrid liquid from his mouth.

23. Duragizer

Apr 23, 2009
    I have gone back to the previous entry and edited it. I added a new scene with Kirk & Spock between the Kirk/Scotty and mess hall scenes, and I also made some modifications to the mess hall scene, replacing Uhura with another character (for reasons that'll become clearer in a later story) and changing some of the characters' ranks.

24. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I'm caught up! And I've definitely enjoyed what I am reading. :D

A yeoman is definitely an excellent idea for Kirk right now, and I like Mitchell for the job!

But my favourite thing about this last update was the Spock voice you had - so spot on! This:

S’POCK: I beg your pardon, Lieutenant, but do you mean you got the meal you asked for, or you did not get the meal you asked for?

[face_laugh][face_laugh]

- I just loved. The chess scene with Spock and Kirk was wonderful in every way! Talk about a meeting of the minds. [face_thinking]

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Fascinating thing with the synthesizer. :eek: As a foodie, I protest! [face_laugh] Oh but the chess scene just made me go all all incoherent there with fangirl blisses! =P~ =P~ Rapturous sigh, but you do have Spock's voice perfect, and believe me, I definitely take note of that kinda thing. ^:)^ ^:)^