main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Prequels Strike Back: A Star Wars Documentary

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by mes520, May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    "it does not redeem the films or their lack of quality" - Implying that there's lack of quality. The only thing the filmmakers are "trying to redeem" is people's views about the films, which have been bombarded with online negativity.

Totally agree.

Alexrd and Big_Benn_Klingon like this.
  2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001

Yeah good luck with that. It's like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted.

3. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    lol.. These guys only reinforce the motivation for such projects. Irony.. so yummy in my tummy

4. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    I would rather watch this documentary because it is about the making of the PT movies. I don't see the need for this documentary to be about "redeeming" the films or some of the fans' views of them. I don't think the PT movies require any redemption whatsoever. And if there are fans who don't like the films, they just don't.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  5. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Except when one day those fans realize that they are the ones shutting the gate on themselves. Consequently they are the ones stuck behind it. The other horses that have bolted are the fans who are free of the gate and have moved on while the actual audience was never in the gate to begin with.

[face_rofl]

Those sad fans who despise the prequels with all their heart and soul don't need any reinforcing at all.

Their have been going on for 16 years now and sooner or later when they turn on the new movies for not doing exactly what they want then they will be reinforced again.

This documentary is not for the regular audience. They have embraced the movies on release and continue to enjoy them as has been the case for all these years.

This is simply by fans for fans and at the least to try to balance all the nonsense promoted all these years by other fans who present themselves as speaking for "everyone".

6. Big_Benn_Klingon

Nov 14, 2013
    Ya this is more the impression ive gotten. It's still a bit vague but there seems to be more of a sense of 'taking pride in the fan experience of enjoying the PT' sort of thing rather being an effort to change anybody's mind. Perhaps even something that says - 'hey if you like the PT, you dont have to hide in the shadows anymore'.

7. Prisic Duskleap

Prisic Duskleap Jedi Master star 3

Jul 24, 2014
    After watching the dreadful documentary "The People vs George Lucas" a few years ago I have always wanted to fund a project like this. Sadly I didn't have the funds to do so but I am glad someone else was able to get this type of project rolling. Can't wait to see it :)

mes520 likes this.
  8. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    The horse that bolted from the gate was a lame 3 legged nag hardly fit for the glue factory. It was shot years ago but some people insist on flogging that dead horse still ;)

9. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Oh, okay. What was funny about it, though? I mean, what was the punchline? Just asking questions here.

10. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    I can guess the whole point of this documentary is going to be "The Prequels don't completely suck." Fair enough. PT fans get this, while the rest of us get an amazing new Star Wars movie to expands and continues the story and will be a huge success.

11. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

Hopefully PT fans will get an amazing new Star Wars movie, as well. I don't see why you have to use such divisive language.

12. lovelikewinter

May 28, 2014

Well, some PT fans (PTAS) have done nothing but moan about TFA after every trailer and video. I'm really glad they created this, so pseudo intellectual hipsters can pretend to be superior about the PT, and they can quit being so hypocritical about the ST bashing.

13. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Wait! They've interviewed Mike Stoklasa and his fanboy legions for this?

14. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    They have?
    I haven't really heard any of those so far. Only a few who didn't like the "practical effects!!!1!1one!" marketing campaign, and a bunch of PT-bashers who still aren't over the issue over a decade later and have to dump on these movies whenever they talk about Star Wars, regardless of whether it fits to what is being discussed.

Then again, I prefer not to spend too much time reading how people complain about things endlessly with no rhyme or reason, so that might be the cause for me not noticing it. I'm just thrilled I get further SW-movies, alongside the six I already like.

15. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

I haven't seen anyone here complaining or bashing The Force Awakens. It's just the marketing communication of "going back to old-school technology", or "we are in a desert, in a real desert", that is causing problem.

16. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

In all fairness, I have taken some swipes at the trailers -- but not too many. I'm not going to say the trailers are ugly, or fail to tantalize in any way, but they haven't completely rocked my world, either. I said before, and will say again, that all of the prequel trailers managed to conjure up more sights, more thrills, and were simply much bolder pieces of art. The TFA trailers are, well... bitty, broken up, jagged, slap-dash (especially the first which has a rushed-to-market feel to it, IMO).

The marketing has not helped endear me to the trailers any.

And really... since when did it become a crime to like and want to defend the existing Star Wars movies? The ones made, overseen, and approved by George Lucas himself? If some people are critical of what Disney has been offering up, so what?

The original post by lovelikewinter was cynical and petty-minded. If we're going to go that somewhat thuggish and supercilious route, I can only add that I hope Disney comes through for PT-bashers in a big way. They obviously need an entire trilogy to get over the prequels (and maybe some therapy), not just one sequel.

17. lovelikewinter

May 28, 2014
    I would love for nothing better than to be able to ignore the Prequels, but I can't. Even the movies I loved were tainted by Prequel elements.

18. Big_Benn_Klingon

Nov 14, 2013
    Im no psychiatrist, but i suspect that obsessively arguing with ever other thought and opinion that PT fans discuss in the PT forum probably isnt helping that problem

19. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    People who dislike these movies are always actingl ike they're being tied down Clockwork Orange style and are being forced to watch them. Oy!

earlchinna and Cryogenic like this.
  20. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Overly sensitive PT fans have taken the desert comment as a dis. That's what happens when years of negativity creates paranoia. He was just saying it's incredible to him that he's in a desert. Not in a studio or just some semi arid area like some tv shows & movies would use, but an actual desert. Has nothing whatsoever to do with the PT. Not everyone is constantly thinking about the damn PT. You guys are jumping at shadows.

21. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

Let's pretend that even for a second that is what he meant when he said a real desert. There is no escaping the fact that how that video is edited to make his comments seem like they are filming in a real location and not a studio where the cg will add the environment later.

the video starts off with Hamill saying..

"Real Sets, Practical Effects..." With a montage of location shoots, sets, etc, then the line about technology and keeping one foot in the real world... Then Mayhew with his getting back to the old days, the old ways of doing things.

Then the line about the desert. The full quote is:

"JJ is trying to make sure these movies have a physicality to them, we truly are out in the desert, a real desert."

He even emphasized the words "these movies"... what other movies can he be talking about that Star Wars fans would relate too? Hmm I wonder...

Even if you are right, and the person who says the line is not speaking of the PT, the way the video is purposely edited shows the undertone is about how they aren't doing it the way the PT did it! It's even more telling with Mayhew's comments because he has only ever worked on Star Wars movies, so when he says back to the old ways, then his point of reference would be the ot compared to the pt because he hasn't done any other movies! (well I think 1 other)

22. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Those quotes are fine. :p

23. Big_Benn_Klingon

Nov 14, 2013
    This thread is starting to feel like a saber duel that was taking place in another room just broke thru the door and is now bustin' up the place.
    OP:The Prequels Strike Back: A Star Wars Documentary [face_whistling]

24. lovelikewinter

May 28, 2014
    JJ was on The Daily Show and Stewart made a Jar Jar joke. JJ focused on something positive- Harrison Ford.

25. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

Sure, it's entirely possible that that's all that specific dude meant when he said that one specific thing. Maybe you're right, maybe not. Personally, I think it's really quite likely that the person behind the camera was asking questions intentionally designed to generate those kinds of soundbites, with the intent of using them in the targeted marketing campaign that was to come during the later run-up to the film's release. That isn't paranoia, that is an actual thing that people marketing movies actually do. But still, you might be right about this one guy from the video in this one specific instance.

But you can't seriously be arguing that the inclusion of all those specific soundbites, edited together with all those specific images in the specific manner we saw in the video, was anything but intentional. That's just being contrary for the sake of it. No one, PT-hater or PT-lover, missed the point they were trying to make with that video. It was not subtle.

earlchinna and SW Saga Fan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.