main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    So, we've all heard the stuff about Prowse being given the "Obi-Wan Kenobi killed your father!" line to avoid him leaking spoilers, but it looks like that came way too late.

From 1978, last two paragraphs:

[​IMG]

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've seen that before. Ironically he may not have actually been correct at the time, as from what we know Lucas hadn't definitely decided on the "I am your father" twist in 1978.

3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    But that's probably why he was given the wrong lines.

I had heard he was surprised and disappointed when he heard it in the theater. But that might have been his voice being dubbed over for the first film and I'm misremembering. Supposedly he was pretty bad about leaking plot information in his interviews.

I'm mostly amused by the post-Empire theorizing that Boba Fett was Luke's real father and Vader was a clone of Fett. And Fett was incognito so no one knew he was Anakin.

Edit: In searching for this, I found this
    [​IMG]

(this explains why the stormtroopers are terrible shots though)

This is from the Dec 1980 issue of Fantastic Films magazine

[​IMG]

I find myself kind of wondering how the franchise would go without the father angle. Now it seems like Vader is pretty twisted. Kind of interesting how the prequels seemed to toy with the idea of reusing this idea for a love triangle between Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Padme, which Stover used to a degree in his novelization, at least by making Anakin suspicious of the possibility.

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999

MercenaryAce likes this.
  5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    The world before the Internet was pretty sad. The nuanced reasoning about upcoming Star Wars films today stands in stark contrast to the wild speculation and bizarre fan theories of yore.

:p

6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I like that Skywalker, as he was known before ROTJ, was this huge mysterious figure that rumors ranged from being a smuggler to Boba Fett. Don't get me wrong, I think the way that Anakin's arc plays out is pretty satisfying from a thematic standpoint, but I kind of hope that the ST is mysterious in this regard. I know we've got a lot of wacky rumors about Kylo Ren already. I hope we don't learn squat about him in 7, or what we do learn just leads to more questions.

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    The crazy thing about that Prowse father bit is that nowadays, even if it was just a wild guess on his part, it would've gone viral and been at minimum a well-known theory by the time the movie came out, rather than (as I understand it) totally blindsiding everyone. I was reading something the other day where Dan Harmon was talking about how you can't do reveals like that anymore--not even because of spoilers, but because post-internet audiences are like a giant render farm that can work out every possible permutation of the story faster than you can actually release it.

8. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    He was. There was endless speculation about the characters in school, especially just before the next film was released - especially since there was so little sources of information to go upon. (The nature of Jabba was a big topic prior to ROTJ) I recall that some people correctly guessed that the big threat in ROTJ would be a new Death Star.

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I think from a storytelling standpoint, the biggest benefit of the rise of binge-watching is fans no longer have time to compare notes.

The Loyal Imperial likes this.
  10. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Reach, grasp the stars? Darth Vader sounds like he's been listening to too much S Club 7.
    Pfft, Kylo Ren being an anagram for Ken Rylo is not a wacky rumour, but a sensible informed conclusion that Rylo is the middle name of Ken Rylo Palpatine. [face_not_talking]

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  11. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    Ken? O RLY?

cthugha likes this.
  12. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  13. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    I still like your idea that he's the mechanical body controlled by Luke's severed hand.

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Posting just because it's cool:

[​IMG]

15. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004

You've now reminded me that after the opening crawl I want the first scene to be Luke's hand swirling through space like the baby at the end of 2001 Space Odyssey.

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    It's really the only satisfying way to continue the saga.

17. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    What Star Wars Can Learn From Hideo Kojima

18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    supposedly Kojima and del Toro are still collaborating on a game despite Kojima leaving Konami and Silent Hills getting axed

hopefully it's a mecha game. Kojima loved Pacific Rim and has done Zone of the Enders.

19. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    [​IMG]

Ulicus likes this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Vader's cut off hand possesses Kylo Ren.

As people are watching Ep 7, Kylo turns to the screen and says: stop texting your friends.

Zorrixor likes this.
  21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm imagining the villain from Episode VII yelling "SIIIIIIIIIIIIIISTER!" at Leia and it is the best thing. The best thing.

Ulicus and Zorrixor like this.
  22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    get cam clarke to dub over adam driver

Ulicus likes this.
  23. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    It's worth noting that we're also far more accustomed to major plot twists in general than we were in 1980, and we've a lot narrower expectations about how they should be handled. If you tried to pull that kind of trick today, people would (probably rightfully) be complaining about the lack of proper foreshadowing and how old and tired a cliché it is. "Obi-Wan killed your father" likely would go over better as the 21st century's version of "I am your father." Maybe that's how it'll go in the eventual remake.

Random Comments likes this.
  24. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    There might actually be done truth to that statement! :p

--Adm. Nick

25. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I am really amused by the idea of people thinking that Jabba was going to be a rogue with a heart of gold and help the alliance. I mean, it is reasonable given the lack of other information, but still so weird after growing up with him as a vile sadist.

I wonder what people thought of him back then. I bet if ROTJ had come out now people would be complaining about wasting so much screen time on a side villain that had barely been mentioned before, but he has become iconic by today at least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.