main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader #8: Shadows and Secrets, part 2 (of 6)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 21, 2015.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, I love the way new canon incorporates stuff. The Arquitens-class is a great example of this, plus it is nice to see the Empire fielding more than just ISD's like in the old days.

--Adm. Nick

yaxley likes this.
  2. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    That would be a bummer.

3. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I agree. Pity they forgot what the bridge of one of those looks like...

Seriously, Tantive-style viewports and chairs? Rebels gets it right and this comic can't?

You had ONE JOB, Story Group. ;)

cwustudent and starfish like this.
  4. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I'm confident that eventually someone actually will cite this as evidence of Story Group's failure. Just give it time.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Time to hand in your Fleet Junkie pin Nick the Empire had tons of cool designs in the old EU. :p

6. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
  7. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Is augmented reality that important? What does it do?

8. Karl0413

Mar 11, 2015

Depends on what that page triggers:

http://www.starwars.com/games-apps/star-wars-app

9. Rax

Rax Jedi Master star 3

May 1, 2015
    Shouldn't this thread be stickied?

10. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    Not much Vader in this issue but it did introduce the most silliest looking imperial in star wars history- not only does he have an eccentric beard he wears a monocle as well HI-larious[face_laugh]

Ewok Poet likes this.
  11. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Man, this issue got better and better while reading it.

Gotta love Aphra's style. The girl has nerves like steel when she's not around Vader. Messing with those bounty hunters takes courage, though Krrssantan being in on it could end up biting her in the rear.
    TZ was pretty cool as well. Untrustworthy as always, that droid.
    I had to laugh when Tagge appointed Vader to find about the stolen money! [face_laugh] Lol Vader is all "as you wish", not even a hint that he knows what's going on. Don't trust that Vader.
    Man, Mr Monocle might turn out to be one of my fav imperials in current canon. That's one clever guy. He says he's not a traitor. But why doesn't he share his suspicions with Tagge, then? And why would he tell Vader about his suspicions, does he really think he can make Vader nervous enough to become careless? Vader will have to be very careful around that guy. I also like that he looks like an officer from the 19th century Austrian army, very "imperial" you might say.

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Maybe the new guy is the Imperial version of a Von then?

13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Well maybe, but a rich bourgeois Viennese from the 19th century might also look like that.

Funnily enough, an old professor in my university also had this ridiculous type of moustache and even funnier glasses. ;)

Ewok Poet and Jedi Ben like this.
  14. Karl0413

Mar 11, 2015
    So Tagge assigned Vader a new watch-dog? Wonder how long this one will last.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  15. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    I think Tagge knows that Vader will try and eliminate his new adjutant so he'll have something in place to prevent that......

BTW that midget bounty hunter bee box is he wearing Mandalorian armour?

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  16. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Another fantastic issue. This series and Kanan are easily the most enjoyable of the new canon. Vader's portrayal is perfect, all the new characters are unique and interesting, and the use of Tagge post-DS is continuing to be a very smart move.

The retro look of Aphra and Bossk's spacesuits was fantastic, and the entire heist was a lot of fun. Capping the issue off by introducing a black Imperial inspector with muttonchops and a monocle who appears to be the Imperial equivalent of Sherlock Holmes was just icing on the cake.

I bet Beebox and IG-90 end up taking the fall for the transport attack. They seem to be the most expendable.

I think Thanoth will last awhile. Vader actually seemed impressed by him. I would not be surprised to see him try to bring him onto his team somehow.

spicer, Ewok Poet and Darth_Pevra like this.
  17. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    The part's about Aphra's heist were so satisfying that Vader's scenes in the end just felt like a bonus.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  18. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Another good issue. I've been really enjoying all these new characters that KG has created to put around Vader.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Another great issue from this series- loved the heist and subsquent plots within plots. They really do nail Vader's characterization in this series. Hearing JEJ's voice in your head when reading his lines comes surprisingly naturally.

I also dug the Imperial ship class featured in the issue. It's like they took an Acclamator and mixed it with the Cruisemissle Trooper (in non-attack mode):

[​IMG]

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  20. TheyMightBeGeeks

TheyMightBeGeeks Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 23, 2015
    Yeah, I can definitely hear James Earl Jones in this Vader much better than I could in Tarkin. That might be because I first listened to the audiobook of Tarkin. Those of you who also have will know what I mean mon.

Can't believe Beebox isn't everyone's favorite character of the new canon. Maybe after he's given more panels and personality but the design alone is great. I love the idea of a (insert whatever politically correct term you use for people who are shorter than average) version of Boba Fett. Also, Imperial Sherlock Holmes is going to be a favorite of mine.

]At first I thought Vader's new mission was referring to the end of Lando #1 and I got really excited at the connection but then I realized I was just tired and read it wrong. Hopefully Imperial Holmes doesn't have to be force choked to keep from spilling the beans.

Maybe one good Triple-Zero, Bee Tee, or Beebox scene (or the above spoiler that I misunderstood) would have made this my favorite issue so far but still a very good entry.

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Arquitens-class light cruiser. Also appears in TCW and Rebels:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Arquitens-class_light_cruiser

Jedi Knight Fett and Ewok Poet like this.
  22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, the TCW still makes the Radiant VII kitbash connection more obvious then.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I can't wait to see all of the new cybernetic baddies in action. Probably crossing over into the main Star Wars series.

24. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    This series continues to be my favorite of the Marvel comics and I'm surprised by how much I like Aphra and the evil droids, as well as some of the other new characters, in a book that features Darth Vader. Looking forward to see how Vader deals with this new investigator, who looks hilariously awesome btw.

Ewok Poet and SilentGuy66 like this.
  25. SilentGuy66

Dec 1, 2014
    In regards to Grievbar's assignment to go after Luke I think we can all safely assume that, in the words of Jango Fett, "We won't be seeing him again"

Revanfan1, Ewok Poet and DelRiego like this.