main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Fields of Tesserone (AU,OC)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Vehn, May 25, 2014.

1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    "No apologies needed, Eleanor. You have lived up to your word. We've been tracking this scoundrel for years. We'll bring him back to Nal Hutta for trial."

"And then what?" Eleanor asked.

"You don't want to know," Diija replied.

I don't think I want to know either. *shudders*

Great post. =D=

Vehn likes this.
  2. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    I find it interesting that Kingston wasn't more pleased that Tatooine had joined the Federation when Eleanor announced it. Of course, that assumes that was really what he wanted. ;)

Vehn likes this.
  3. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Not really what he wanted, well, not the terms he wanted. Eleanor baited him into his demise.

4. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Tesserone

"Mama, Papa, I have something to tell you," Eleanor said as she addressed her parents one night in the kitchen of the Vehn family home.

"If this is about the upcoming elections," Oisin groaned.

Verity shot him a look.

"What? I get enough political drama with my side of the family," Oisin said.

"I don't know if you ever wondered why I never had any more children after Grace was born,"
    Eleanor announced.

"We figured you wanted to space your kids out, you know, enjoy each one as they come along," Verity replied.

"Something wrong?" Oisin asked.

Eleanor fought back the urge to run, the urge to leave the room as quickly as possible, and replied, " Rowan and I have been trying to conceive for years now since Grace was born back in '76. We've tried everything. Nothing works. So I went to the doctor and they did an exam. Turns out when Grace was born something happened that made it so I can no longer have any more children. I've come to terms with this. I really have."

"Oh, Eleanor," Verity exclaimed covering her mouth.

"There's no failure in this," Oisin added.

"I'm not ashamed, I'm not a failure, but I did notice that the Vehn family has a problem,"
    Eleanor pointed out.

"Problem? What kind of problem?" Verity asked sitting up straight.

"Have you looked at our family tree recently?" Eleanor asked her parents.

Oisin scratched his day old beard stubble and replied, "No, not really. What's the problem?"

"We have no heirs," Eleanor said.

"Course we do. We have Jack, we have Grace, and I guess to a lesser extent we have Lilly,"
    Verity quickly replied.

"It could take years for us to extend the Vehn line," Eleanor pointed out.

"So what's the rush?" Oisin said.

"The rush is that we have lost a number of our family members in the last several years and I am deeply concerned that we are one major event from ending our line permanently," Eleanor replied.

"We lost Kaitlyn and Liam because of the poor choices they made in their life," Verity pointed out.

"Surely we could find a distant Trieste relative," Oisin said as his voice trailed off.

"That was a one time fix, Papa," Eleanor said.

"So what are you suggesting?" Verity asked.

"Thousands of years ago when families discovered people who had all the qualities they admired and who could add to their own they set about legally acquiring them and giving them their last name. It was a system designed to reward distinction, honor, and bravery on the fields of battle. It was a system from a time long ago that could perpetuate a line for years to come.
    There was no greater honor," Eleanor explained.

"Legally acquiring?" Oisin asked.

"You don't mean..." Verity said starting to piece it together.

Eleanor nodded her head and smiled, "I mean that exactly."

"Who do you have in mind?" Verity said.

"I'm glad you asked," Eleanor replied as she slipped a datapad across the table.

Nime, Roon

"On behalf of a grateful nation," Eleanor Vehn said before a crowd of thousands as she placed the Medal of Valor around Kurt Staalsen's neck in honor of his heroic efforts on Mon Grappa during the war with the Druckenwellian Coalition.

"Thank you Madam President," Kurt replied as he shook Eleanor's hand.

"No, thank you," Eleanor said.

Eleanor walked past Kurt and reached into a velvet lined box procuring another Medal of Valor. This one was for Admiral Jack Hawkes who had served with distinction in the war and was credited with not only striking the first blow of that conflict but also striking the last.

"On behalf of a grateful nation," Eleanor said as she placed the medal around his neck.

"Thank you, Madam President," Jack replied.

"Salute your heroes! Honor them!" Eleanor said to the crowd below.

They did and would for years to come.

As Eleanor stood and watched the crowd honor those who had given their most in the line of duty she only had one regret: that she had not honored their service earlier in her tenure as President.

Executive Suites
    Nime, Roon

"All of you have proven your worth to this family time and time again. Now I ask that we make the proceedings official. I have had the court draw up documents. I need only your signature. I have done my research, ladies and gentlemen, and it is very clear to me that all of you have one thing in common," Eleanor said.

"What might that be?" Victoria Powers said as she stood next to Kurt Staalsen, two bitter rivals of the raceway who'd found love after a terrifying wreck on the Federation speedway.

"I think I know where this is going," Kurt said.

"I'm glad someone does," Kasey Hadley added, "because I'm running behind schedule with the Vehn kids."

"Now there's no need to rush anything is there my dear?" Jack Hawkes asked Kasey.

"Probably not," Kasey replied.

"The four of you have few if any family connections," Eleanor explained, "and that is why I am begging you to sign these documents which will henceforth give you all the rights and honor of the Vehn clan. My family needs new blood. My family needs a new breed to carry forth our legacy into the subsequent years."

"It is a generous offer," Kasey said as she examined the document in front of her.

"You will not find another," Eleanor replied.

Silence descended on the room.

"What say you? Will you become part of the Vehn family? Once you take on our name you not only represent the current generation of Vehns but all who have come before. Do well by them, honor them, and live your life to the fullest potential."

Minutes later Kurt Staalsen,Victoria Powers, Jack Hawkes and Kasey Hadley officially became part of the Vehn family.

The Vehn legacy was secured.

Tag:Trieste;jcgoble3;Tim Battershell

5. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I love this method of extending the Vehn clan, when Eleanor can no longer do so naturally. Excellent post. :)

And of course, it is always important to take the time to honor the brave men and women who fight for freedom, whether in real life or in fanfic. =D=

Trieste and Vehn like this.
  6. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    The only way this would have been better is if one of them was named Octavius. :D This is going to get very interesting, especially as they start comparing themselves to the more prolific Triestes. While the Triestes are in very real danger of falling prey to the perils of hereditary succession, will the meritocracy of the Vehns allow their star to rise?

Vehn likes this.
  7. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Time will tell, dear friends. Time will tell. :cool:

8. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Nime, Roon

Eleanor picked up her pace as she walked briskly through one of the nicer parks in Nime. The air was crisp and cool: fall was nearly here and the distant peaks of the Lady Constance mountain range reflected the sunlight of a dying day off their freshly snowed upon peaks.

Movement caught her attention out of the corner of her eye: her security detail. They were around without being intrusive. She'd made it clear to them when she started that she wanted her personal time respected. They'd obliged, after all, they didn't have much of a choice.

She found a bench overlooking a pond. Geese and ducks floated around honking and quacking and being pretentious creatures without a care in the world. She enjoyed watching the ripples slip away from their floating bodies as they delicately paddled through the water with their webbed feet.

"Beautiful, aren't they?" a man asked dressed nicely in a suit.

"They are," Eleanor replied.

"Come now, Eleanor, don't be so shy. We're old friends you and I," Jerome Kuhn said.

"Well Mr. Kuhn you've certainly picked a beautiful day to be at the park," Eleanor observed.

"I did but I think you know why I am here," Jerome said.

"Do I?"

"You do," Mr. Kuhn reminded Eleanor. "I've come to work out the terms of our next
    agreement."

"I thought we were done doing business," Eleanor said.

"You must know that we never really made our last transaction final," Jerome replied.

"Somehow I missed that point," Eleanor said.

"I hope I don't have to remind you of the details of our last arrangement," Jerome reminded Eleanor.

"You leave her out of this!" Eleanor hissed.

"You owe us the fulfillment of a debt," Jerome said.

"That debt was satisfied!" Eleanor replied.

"Not to our liking," Jerome said.

"What do you want?" Eleanor asked.

"You know what we want," Jerome said, "and we have been paying close attention to her development. Your baronness has taught her well. Now all we need is to finish her education," Jerome said.

"You can't take her!"

"Of course we can," Jerome said , "because if you get in our way then those skeletons you've been keeping in your closet will come out."

"I've been honest with the people from day one. I have nothing to hide," Eleanor said.

"Have you now? I know for a fact that you have not," Jerome said.

"And what would you tell them?" Eleanor shot back.

"We know you killed Senator Rhom Cardaas in cold blood while serving as a Senator of the Republic and Kerry Trieste pardoned you. We know that you deliberately sabotaged attempts on Naboo to start a democratic monarchy before you were ready. We know that you and your mother schemed to have Kaitlyn Vehn assassinated but your Uncle Liam beat you to the punch. We know that your agreement with the Hutts is only temporary while you gather leverage to assault the Republic to renew your coveted trade deal that the RTO once enjoyed," Jerome explained, "and we know your darkest secret."

Eleanor felt the hair stand up on the back of her neck.

"What secret?" Eleanor said feigning ignorance.

"That your daughter, Grace Vehn, is unrelated to your husband Rowan. In fact it is our understanding that he is impotent. You lied to him about being unable to have any future children didn't you?" Jerome pushed.

"How do you know all of this?" Eleanor asked. There was no point in denying the information.
    They knew everything.

"We have been watching your family for a very long time," Jerome said.

"How long?"

"Centuries," Jerome replied.

"Why?"

"Old families such as yours often have a way of shaping galactic events. The galaxy isn't done with the Vehn family, Eleanor. In fact, their influence on galactic events is just beginning," Jerome explained. "And it is in our best interests that your family continue to shape such galactic events. Sadly, unlike the Triestes, the Vehn family has never been very prolific. In fact there have been times where they have been nearly wiped out."

"And now I suppose you want to steal my daughter to fulfill some destiny," Eleanor said through clenched teeth.

"Steal? No. Borrow? Yes. Grace has a purpose. She has a destiny. And you do not have a choice in her future," Jerome said.

"You can't take my daughter from me!" Eleanor said pointing a finger at Jerome.

Jerome stood there and smirked. "That was the deal that you made with us long ago if you remember. We agreed to help you in making Rowan think that he was the father. We agreed to convincing your parents that Grace was truly a Vehn. In fact she's only half-Vehn but whose counting? In return we reserved the right to call in a favor at any moment. Now, at long last, we are calling in a favor."

"Damn you!" Eleanor screamed causing the birds in the pond to fly away.

"Have Grace ready for us tonight. Should you try anything or go against us she will disappear and you will never see her again. Shoudl you contact the authorities I can guarantee that all of this information will hit the media and you can suddenly throw away any semblance of a normal life you have currently," Jerome said as he turned to leave.

"Are you part of the Elder Star Society?" Eleanor asked.

Jerome smirked and looked over at Eleanor, "They're dead, gone. What I am or who I work for is inconsequential."

"Why are you doing this to me? To my family?"

"Grace has a destiny, Eleanor. It has been foreseen. Do not get in the way of fate," Jerome replied and then disappeared around a corner.

Tag: Trieste;jcgoble3;Tim Battershell

Trieste, Tim Battershell and jcgoble3 like this.
  9. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
  10. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    Exactly the question that I was asking throughout the entire post! Even so, while that might be good news for the Triestes, it's still bad news that someone else, or something else is out there...

11. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Tesserone

"What do you mean there's nothing we can do?" Rowan pressed as he paced back and forth in the kitchen.

"For the last frakking time, Rowan, this group, this organization, has us right where they want us," Eleanor replied.

"I don't understand. You're the President of the Roon Federation for Maker's sake!" Rowan exclaimed. "Can't you call in a special operations squad and wipe these guys out?"

"It doesn't work that way," Eleanor replied.

"Like hell it doesn't!" Rowan roared. "They're taking my daughter!"

"Our daughter," Eleanor reminded her husband, "our daughter and I don't know what to do or think that will fix this situation."

"What do they have on you?"

"They know everything!" Eleanor said, "They know everything!"

"You mean," Rowan said.

"Yes, they know that I can no longer have children," Eleanor replied. "They also know
    something I never told you."

"I'm afraid there's been a lot of that lately," Rowan said. "What haven't you told me now?"

"You won't like my answer," Eleanor replied.

"Try me," Rowan said.

"I don't know how or why or any of that but they found out that you are," Eleanor couldn't bring herself to say what was on her mind.

"That I'm what?" Rowan pressed.

"That you're not really Grace's father," Eleanor said, "Maker, I should've told you."

"You cheated on me?" Rowan asked as he sat down on a nearby stool.

Eleanor shook her head. "No, Rowan. I've always been faithful to you. I swear. We weren't conceiving. Remember when we went to the lab shortly before we found out I was pregnant with Grace?"

"Yeah, routine tests that sort of thing," Rowan said as he remembered that day.

"They tested you," Eleanor replied, "and the count wasn't high enough."

"You saying I can't have children?" Rowan asked.

Eleanor nodded.

"So that song and dance you told me about how you were damaged when Grace was born," Rowan said connecting the dots.

"Was my way of protecting you," Eleanor said taking her husband's hand.

A heavy silence descended on the room. Finally, after a long while, Rowan looked into his wife's eyes and replied, "Thank you."

"I don't see a way out of this, Rowan," Eleanor said.

"Yes there is," Jerome Kuhn said leaning against the doorway.

"Rowan this is Jerome Kuhn of the," Eleanor frowned. She still didn't know what organization he worked for or how he'd even found his way into the house.

"Jerome Kuhn of the Ypres Initiative," Jerome said extending his hand.
    Rowan didn't return the gesture.

"You work for the Ypres Initiative?" Eleanor asked. "Since when did they get involved in kidnapping and extortion?"

Jerome shook his head. "The people I work for created the Ypres Initiative a long time ago. The family you know, the ones who spawned Kaitlyn and Corrie are but a fragment of the true power of the Initiative. We are far older than the Ypres let on. We were put into power by one woman who sought to safeguard a fortune that came into her possession."

"Who?" Eleanor asked.

"How well do you know your family history?" Jerome asked.

"I know enough to get me into trouble," Eleanor replied.

"I don't have time to listen to family histories," Rowan interrupted, "I want to know if my daughter is going to be safe. I swear if she's harmed in any way I will bring all of the Corellian hells down upon you and those you hold dear."

Jerome sighed and replied, "Grace will be safe, I promise you. No harm will come to her. Can I return to my story?"

"Let him finish, Rowan," Eleanor said.

"Thank you," Jerome replied, "now there was a woman who came into a fortune. Some of this fortune she made in her own career and some of this fortune was passed down to her by her forebearers. She lived on Ord Mantell during a time of relative peace in the galaxy. She was close to her family who had chosen Ord Mantell for the profitable scrap business. A business that would go on to take her father's life. In desperation she entered a popular racing circuit and eventually met a man who did possess a great deal of wealth of his own having invested wisely in the shipyards of Druckenwell. His name was Conrad Ypres."

"I see. And her name?" Eleanor asked.

"Jamie Vehn," Jerome replied.

"Are you saying that I'm related to William Ypres?" Eleanor asked.

"Distantly. This was to be the last time that the Vehn and Ypres lines would be united as Conrad untraditionally took on Jamie's last name. We don't know the circumstances as to why he chose that course of action. That part of the historical record is lost to us. His brother, Geoff, would go on to continue the Ypres line that eventually gave birth to Kaitlyn and Corrie," Jerome said.

"I see that tradition continues to this very day," Rowan mused.

"I gave you a chance," Eleanor teased.

"I never had much of a choice," Rowan grumbled.

"Which brings me to why I have approached you now about your daughter, Grace," Jerome said.

"You said something about destiny when we met in the park," Eleanor said.

"Every few generations a child is born of this line that can go on to do great deeds. Shape politcal events for years to come," Jerome said.

"You're saying that Grace has, what, the potential?" Rowan asked.

"I am," Jerome replied. "Sadly our last promising candidate fell to the Dark Side of the Force but eventually gathered his life together to create the Roon Trade Organization."

"My grandfather," Eleanor said.

"Grace is of the age to attend our academy. She will be educated well. She will be trained in the old arts. She will be a model citizen when we are through," Jerome said.

"And that information you threatened me with?" Eleanor asked, "If we choose not to allow her to go will you ruin our name?"

Jerome shook his head. "I needed something to hold over you that would make you understand the severity of what I was asking. No, Eleanor, we are honor bound not to destroy reputations."

"Why is it not called the Vehn Initiative?" Eleanor asked.

"Smoke and mirrors, Eleanor, smoke and mirrors," Jerome responded. "Grace will be perfectly safe, I promise."

"What sort of education are we talking about?" Rowan asked.

"The kind that changes the galaxy," Jerome replied. "If I told you anything more I'd have to kill you both."

"Seriously?" Eleanor asked.

Jerome nodded.

"Will I still be able to see her?" Eleanor asked.

"On the weekends," Jerome responded. "But once she is at the program she cannot leave until she graduates."

"You've got to be kidding me," Rowan groaned.

"I'm afraid I am not," Jerome replied.

"How much is this going to cost?" Eleanor asked.

"Nothing," Jerome replied, "this was paid for a long time ago."

"I'd like a few minutes with my husband," Eleanor said.

"As you wish," Jerome replied and left the room.

"This could be a good opportunity for Grace," Eleanor said.

"This could be a huge mistake," Rowan replied.

"I want the best kind of world for our daughter. Not what I had. Not what you had," Eleanor insisted.

"I can tell that I lost this battle a long time ago," Rowan said.

"I was being noble," Eleanor replied.

"You were being your usual self," Rowan said and wrapped Eleanor in a hug.

"Will I ever see you again?" Grace asked.

"You will," Rowan replied and scooped up his daughter for one last kiss.

"You take good care of her," Eleanor said to Jerome as she kissed her daughter goodbye.

"We will, I promise," Jerome replied as he helped Grace get into the car at the start of a journey that would change her life forever.

12. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    [face_relieved] So the blackmail threat was just posturing. Um, glad to hear that? :p

And I like the tie-in to the AARC game. Very interesting! :D

Vehn likes this.
  13. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    I still suspect that there are dark forces at work. When things live in the shadows...well, they have a wait of infecting good intentions.

Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  14. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Nime, Roon

"Jack, good to see you," Eleanor said as she walked around her desk to shake hands with Jack Vehn, formerly Hawkes.

"Madam President, " Jack replied returning the gesture.

"There's no need for formalities. We're family now," Eleanor said.

"Right. Still adjusting to the name change," Jack said.

"How can I help you?" Eleanor asked.

"I wanted to thank you for doing so much for me during the war and beyond. The commission to lead the Federation navy has been the job of a lifetime," Jack said.

"And yet here you are in full dress uniform," Eleanor observed. "This is not a social visit."

"I have come here to resign my commission. Please, do not interrupt," Jack said as he held up his hand, "I need you to hear me out. Kasey and I have talked this over with Jack the younger and we'd like to start anew. We'd like to leave Roon behind. There is plenty for us here, plenty of reasons to stay, but I have recently come into a small fortune and have decide to pursue a dream of mine. A dream that lies beyond the borders of the Federation."

"Where does this dream take you?" Eleanor asked.

"The Corporate Sector," Jack replied, "specifically Bonadan."

Eleanor headed over to one of the many floor to ceiling windows of her executive suite and crossed her arms. "You're thinking of resurrecting an old dream, aren't you?"

"There was once a time where the Vehns were known for helping those in need. I seem to remember that for several decades an ancestor of yours made key deliveries to the Jedi Temple on Ossus during some of the darkest days in that temple's history. You are doing a beautiful thing on Roon, Eleanor, and I must say you did a brilliant thing in adopting out to keep your lineage going. Now, I ask that you allow Kasey and I to start our family on Bonadan and to rebuild a lost shipping empire."

"I see you've made up your mind," Eleanor replied, "and I'm happy for you and Kasey. I think Jack will do well out there in the Corporate Sector Authority. I also think that Bonadan is the perfect location to rebuild a dormant shipping company that once proudly bore my families name. Derek Vehn would be proud. Will you keep the name?"

Jack shook his head. "I thought Vehn Enterprises was more fitting."

"A good name. A strong name. Promise me one thing," Eleanor said.

"Anything," Jack replied.

"You keep Kaitlyn Vehn's son safe. I swore an oath to his mother," Eleanor said.

"I shall," Jack replied, "oh and I almost forgot. There's something I wanted you to see."

Roon Orbital Shipyards

"How is this even possible?" Eleanor asked as she stood on the bridge of the Acclamator class transport.

"Several years of hard work, some original blueprints courtesy of your mother, and a lot of money," Jack replied as he ran his fingers delicately over the command chair.

"Is this the original?" Eleanor asked pointing to the name plaque bolted to the wall.

Jack nodded.

"And what of the rest of the ship?" Eleanor inquired as she strolled the command deck.

"We upgraded key components of the transport to make sure it complied with modern shipping regulations. Between you and me there were other modifications made that are less than legal," Jack explained, "but most of the ship is assembled from pieces found at scrap yards throughout the galaxy. Sadly only the name plaque comes from the first vessel to bear this name."

"Derek would've been proud," Eleanor stated.

"I hope you are as well, Madam President," Jack replied.

"I am," Eleanor said nodding her head in approval, "I am."

A chime sounded throughout the bridge.

"The crew is boarding and that means I'll be leaving soon. I think this is where we say goodbye," Jack said as he gave Eleanor an embrace.

"Goodbye, Jack, and thank you," Eleanor replied as she left the transport.

"I hope this is worth all the trouble," Kasey said as she dropped her bags on the deck.

"It will be," Jack replied. "You won't be complaining if all works out."

"Is this going to be my new home?" Jack Vehn, the younger, asked.

"Until we get to Bonadan, yes," Captain Jack replied.

"I'm glad I have a family again," Jack the younger said.

"Me too, kid, me too," Jack replied.

"We're all loaded and ready to go, Captain," an aide said. "Course plotted."

"Would you like to give the orders to take us out?" Captain Jack asked his son.

Jack nodded in delight. He grabbed the comm and said, "Prepare for the jump to lightspeed."

Eleanor watched from a shuttle not too far way as the transport eased near the hyperbuoy. In a second the stars seemed to stretch and fold as the massive transport winked out of existence. She smiled. Smiled at the future her family was embarking upon. Smiling because it seemed like things were going splendidly for a change. She had every reason to smile.

[​IMG]

The Kyriad was reborn.

Tag: Trieste;jcgoble3;CPL_Macja;Tim Battershell

15. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    I left the music from your ELL post playing while I read this one and it was actually pretty fitting. ;)

16. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    OOC: Hold onto your seats. We're taking a trip down memory lane. The memories aren't at all pleasant but the company that is being introduced surely will trigger some nostalgia in some of you.

216 ABY
    Trian
    Trianii Space

One by one the mangled and mauled bodies of the once great Trianii species, felines who were not terribly advanced and possessed a centuries old caste system, were piled onto pyres of wood and burned before the emotionless eyes of the droid army of the Corporate Sector Authority. Ashes rose and curled high into the sky as a blood red sunset consumed the planet of Trian whose very jungle and ornate temples seemed to cry out in pain as the last days of its inhabitants came to a wretched close.

The last body to be cremated belonged to the leader of the Trianii people. A noble feline who had died defending his family to the very end. His body had been shot nearly 30 times by the droids who had broken into the palace and his battle sword, edged with cortosis and blue diamonds from far away, lay with his body as the droids unceremoniously dragged him to the place of cremation. No eulogy was said, no words were spoken, as the Trianii leader's body was dumped into the pit of flame and ashes, of bone and burning flesh.

His name was Ruhi Kfir.

The droids were not interested in the planet nor its many trappings. They were fulfilling orders. Orders that had been signed by ExO Kati Aimes, leader of the Corporate Sector Authority. At long last the bitter rivals of the CSA had been wiped out in the last stages of a bloody galactic war between the Jedi and the Sith. The genocide of the Trianii people was to be a footnote in the greater historical narrative. A forgotten footnote.

Few who would come after would remember what happened on this beautiful planet. Few who would come after would ever care to see that reparations were made to those few survivors who had made it away from the slaughter.

Save for one young boy, decades later, who landed on Trian to follow his adoptive mother, Kasey, through the ruins of the Trianii capital in search of answers, in search of resolution. In search of the very journey that would one day help him fulfill his destiny.

282 ABY

Trian

"Beautiful, aren't they?" Kasey asked Jack as they examined the towering structure of a Trianii temple belonging to the High Priests of Trian.

"The way they were able to assemble such structures with primitive technology," Jack Vehn, the younger, remarked as he looked up from his datapad.

"Not all greatness comes from the technology we use," Kasey said as she walked through the rubble.

"What happened here, Kasey?" Jack asked.

"A great people were wiped out by their bitter rivals for no other reason than choosing the wrong side in a vicious war," Kasey said.

Jack paused and scrunched his eyes. "What are those pits over there?"

Kasey brought her hand up to her forehead to block out the sunlight and squinted. Pits. More like tombs. Large tombs. Pieces of rotting wood and wire jutted out from the ground. As she drew closer she covered her mouth in horror as she stood on the edge of the mass grave. Bones, thousands upon thousands of bones, piled atop one another, charred and grossly disfigured, rested in eternal horror beneath her gaze.

"This is where they were buried, isn't it?" Jack asked.

Kasey could only nod as she felt sick looking at such destruction. Such unnecessary violence. She was against that sort of thing. She believed in educating people. A helping hand. She believed in a wholesome life. One of service and public good. And yet here she stood, with her adopted son, on the very precipice of everything that was so wrong with war. That was so wrong with this galaxy. It made her sick. Made her want to vomit in disgust. That people could be so cruel to a civilization that had done nothing to provoke such wanton violence.

Jack started to slide down into the pit. Something shiny caught his eye. Something blue. Something remarkable.

"Jack, get out of there!" Kasey raised her voice.

Jack ignored her and thrust his hand through bone until his hand grasped the hilt of an ancient sword. One that still was beautiful despite being burned in intense heat. He scrambled up the side of the escarpment and held out the sword to Kasey.

"You think this was important to someone?" Jack asked as he examined the sword in the light of day.

Kasey pushed aside her frustration at Jack's curiosity and examined the blade. It was beautiful. It was noble. It reflected a craftsmanship that she had never seen before. A name was inscribed on the blade. It was written in a foreign language. One she couldn't decipher despite her education in ancient tongues.

"This belongs in a museum," Jack said.

Kasey nodded. "It belongs with the survivors of the Trianii people."

She wrapped the blade in her scarf and jerked her head toward the shuttle, "I think there's more to this story than we realize."

Bonadan

The Kyriad touched down on the surface of Bonadan, the first vessel of its name to do so in nearly 100 years, and was greeted by none other than ExO Selena Aimes, great granddaughter of ExO Kati Aimes.

"We are honored to have you here, Jack Vehn," Selena said as she extended her hand.

"It seems that history is being made every moment," Jack replied as he examined the sturdy transport that carried him to this far away world of economic import.

"Come," Selena said, "we have much to discuss including how your business is going to thrive here on Bonadan. It brings me great pleasure to welcome the Vehns back to the Corporate Sector."

Jack smiled but deep down he knew better than to trust the Aimes family. They had never been chums with the Vehns. This was all for show. This was all some sort of elaborate game. He just didn't realize, at this point, what role he would precisely play on the home turf of one of the most powerful families in the galaxy.

The Vehn and the Trieste clans had exerted galactic influence in their own right and largely for the greater good. The Aimes clan had never had the best interests of others in their quest for economic domination. That was evident in the rumors that surrounded the family of their less than legal dealings. They were pure profiteers. They were even deemed to be war profiteers.They were the name that brought dread and fear into the hearts of more righteous beings.

As Jack followed Selena into her waiting speeder he quietly wondered to himself if anything good could come out of their future discussions.

jcgoble3, Trieste and Tim Battershell like this.
  17. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    How curious you should bring up the Trianii. They have been on my mind off and on as of late...

jcgoble3 and Vehn like this.
  18. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    .... how curious indeed... :D

jcgoble3 likes this.
  19. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Very interesting. I look forward to seeing where this is going to go. :D

20. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Federation Speedway

Kurt pumped his fist as Victoria slowed to a stop in pit row. She'd just burned the opposition to pieces with her aggressive driving in the last of the racing power couples victories. He'd long since left the racing circuit, unable to shift gears following his accident not so very long ago. He'd left the hot rodding up to his wife who'd now made quite a name for herself. Such a name, in fact, that the couple had been approached with the sale of the speedway. They'd accepted the offer and would now be owners of one of the most lucrative sporting events this side of Elite League Limmie.

Kurt helped Victoria out of her safety harness and gave her a big kiss. The crowd roared. They loved every minute of the romance. Part of their affection was real and the other part was for show. What the general public didn't know about their relationship was fine with them. They pulled away and waved to the crowd. More positive PR work for the Vehn family. More positive rebuilding of a family name that had nearly been destroyed.

Kurt held Victoria close and whispered, "Nice race. We're now the proud owners of Federation Speedway."

Victoria kissed Kurt again and replied, "I do love you, husband of mine."

Nime

"Thank you both for coming today," Eleanor said as she rose to shake hands with Sam Cullen, her vice president, and William Ypres, governor of Druckenwell.

"A pleasure, Madam President," both men replied as they took their seats.

"I've gathered you here today to talk about the future," Eleanor said, "specifically the plan of succession."

"Succession? You make it sound as if you're the head of a dynasty," Sam said shaking his head.

"Or at the very least going to continue pulling strings long after you are gone," William pointed out.

"Neither of which are true, gentlemen," Eleanor replied, "no I have every intention of leaving public office when my term expires later this year. Now, everyone knows the two of you are going to kill each other to have the honor of sitting where I currently reside. I'd like to spare the Federation, and the people, such a blood bath in exchange for mutual cooperation."

"Go on," Sam said.

"I have drafted a document which I'd like both of you to review. It outlines that neither of you is going to run with the support of the parties," Eleanor said, "and that if one of you loses against the other that you shall continue on the tradition of hiring your rival as your second."

"Without party support I find getting elected to be difficult," William pointed out.

"I have to agree with my rival here. The parties are already formed, Eleanor. It would be against the Charter for you to cut them out of the political process this way," Sam said. "As for being forced to choose William as my second..."

"You'd be my second," William said with a grin as both men quieted down. They were oddly enough good friends despite being political rivals.

Eleanor sat back and nodded in quiet reflection. She had a feeling this would be coming. She had a feeling they'd use their support from the political parties that currently dominated the Federation's political landscape to their own advantage. Both men had cultivated quite a name for themselves here on Nime. William, for his masterful efforts in wrapping up the Coalition war, and Sam for pressing hard on dangerous domestic issues that Eleanor lacked the political will to tackle.

"When I took office there were no parties. When I took office we were in the middle of one of the deadliest wars Roon has ever had the misfortune of participating in. When I took office the two of you were begging for positions in the cabinet to save your own lives. Those proscriptions I handed down wiped out a significant portion of my enemies' political arsenal. I spared your lives because I saw something in the two of you that was redeemable," Eleanor replied.

"A lot has changed since you were sworn in," William Ypres pointed out.

"The Federation has grown leaps and bounds beyond what we ever could have dreamed. Part of that was your leadership, Eleanor, and the other part of that was a population who needed a strong leader to see them through the dark times," Sam replied, "but we are at peace. Our debts to Bakura and Rydonni Prime are nearly paid off in full. We have stable relations with the Hutts to the north and may one day have economic relations with the Corporate Sector beyond that. You have paved the way for us to be successful. Whoemver wins I believe will put Roon first."

"Here, here," William added.

"I'm glad to see the two of you have gotten along so well. Perhaps I should leave, since everything is so perfect in the Federation, and you two can figure out who can be President and Vice President. I'll leave the blasters at the door in case the discussion turns ugly," Eleanor replied. "I mean, look around us? This region of space has a wonderful history of successful governments. The Osarian Federation, lasted all of a few years, the Federal Republic of Kamino, same thing, the Roon Trade Organization, only held together because the centralization process was a failure in every way, and now our beloved Roon Federation, held together by me and me alone."

"Eleanor, that's not what we meant," Sam said.

"Then what did you mean?" Eleanor asked. "I look around at the galaxy and see nothing but political deadlock and posturing. Finger pointing and shirking responsibility. You can't honestly think that the Federation's political parties are in any way shape or form different from those of Coruscant. I saw how politics are done on Coruscant, gentlemen, and I can trust that you'll understand why I did not invite the Republic to Roon to discuss political strategy or the merits of their brand of democracy."

"You have a point in Coruscant," William said, "but what about Bakura? Your cousins, Declan and Ayn Trieste, even Falene Trieste to a lesser extent, have established themselves in a two party system that seems to work well enough for them. They're still able to pass laws, stand for re-election, take tough stances on hard issues. Their system is conducive to democracy, some even go so far as to say that Bakura is the beacon of modern democracy throughout the galaxy. Even Coruscant is paying attention now."

"Well said," Sam added.

"Thank you," William replied.

"I will concede that Bakura and their brand of politics has been quite stable for some time now," Eleanor replied, "but Roon is not Bakura, gentlemen. Roon is a land where people refuse the help this great government offers them. Where people would rather die of starvation and physical hardship than ask for some state assistance. We are a land that was founded by settlers, hardy people, who do not yield or break under any circumstances. To cry out for help is a sign of weakness. To ask for help is considered weak in certain circles. I will table the document I have on file for keeping the parties out of the election process if you promise me one thing."

Both men leaned forward.

"You figure out in the next five minutes who is going to lead and who is going to follow. How you will establish your cabinet and what precedent you want to create for your first term in this very office," Eleanor said. "I will be back."

William and Sam looked at one another as Eleanor left the room.

When she returned a decision had been made.

jcgoble3, Trieste and Tim Battershell like this.
  21. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    The New York Times said in 1912 after the first primaries were held that if this was what primaries would bring, they should be the last ever held. Sounds like Eleanor reads the Times. ;)

22. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Now why can't real-world political systems work this way? :p

And nice update on the Podracing front. :)

Vehn likes this.
  23. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Ossus

Several Months Later

Austin gathered his robes around him as the wind howled and raged from the landing of the Acclamator class transport Kyriad. He steadied himself against the artificial wind as hydraulic steam erupted from the gigantic landing skids as the massive craft finally settled into a cool down cycle. He had been expecting this visit for some time now. He had seen visions of his life unfold before him. Places he had to see and experiences he had yet to understand.

"Welcome to Ossus, Jack," Austin said extending his hand.

"Come now, Austin, we're family," Jack said embracing the austere Jedi Padawan.

Austin returned the embrace. It was awkward. Felt odd to him to think that there were more Vehns in the galaxy now, by adoption, than had ever existed when he was growing up. He pulled away from Jack and his eyes wandered to Kasey who held a long object wrapped in a blanket in her hands.

"We have something to share with you," Jack said.

"Take me inside and I'll show you," Kasey added.

Austin nodded and gathered the group with him as he made his way into the Jedi Temple. He took them to a private meeting room overlooking the great courtyard. He particularly enjoyed this room. It felt separate, distant, from the existing Temple. It was usually very quiet and rarely occupied and Austin had taken to morning meditation in the room to clear his senses and start anew. Therefore it seemed like the natural place to discuss something of grave importance.

"We found this far away from here," Kasey said as she undid the folds of the blanket revealing the sword found in the mass grave on Trian.

Austin gently took the blade in his hands and ran his fingers across the edge. His hands smarted as the edge of the blade slipped across his fingers. "Still sharp after all these years."

"Remarkable condition if you ask me," Jack said.

"We were hoping you could tell us about the writing. I understand you have a gift for languages," Kasey said.

Austin nodded and replied, "I've been known to have a talent for foreign tongues. Let me see what we have here."

He adjusted the blade so that the light of the morning sun could fully reflect on the beautiful craftsmanship and the words inscribed on the blade itself.

"This is no ordinary blade, Kasey. This is a work of art. A masterpiece. Judging by the inscription I would say it was forged several centuries ago and by its condition passed down from generation to generation. The language, the script, is a tongue that is all but extinct. A tongue I thought was long gone."

"What does it say?" Kasey asked.

"I am the light of my people and the guardian of truth. Those who stand in my way shall be brought to justice," Austin said. He frowned and set the blade on the table. "Where did you find this?"

Jack and Kasey looked at one another.

"The Corporate Sector," Kasey replied.

Austin shook his head. "No, this is much older than the Corporate Sector. I would say based on the language and the work put into the blade that we have here a weapon of great social importance. A weapon that was passed down from generation to generation. Perhaps it was even used at one time. No, you found this on a world that people have long forgotten."

"Trian," Kasey admitted.

"Yes, suddenly this all makes sense. This is the great weapon of the royal house of Trian. Of the Kfir family and I imagine that it was used in the final days before the Corporate Sector Authority killed them all. Who was the last king of the Trianii people?" Austin asked.

Jack shrugged. Galactic history wasn't his area of expertise.

Kasey on the other hand knew the answer right away, "Ruhi Kfir. He died defending his palace against the droid armies. This was his sword, wasn't it?"

Austin smiled and slowly wrapped the blade until it was covered once more. "We must do the honorable thing and return this sword to the Trianii people."

Kasey shook her head. "How? They're all dead."

"That's the history the Corporate Sector Authority wanted the galaxy to believe," Austin said, "but I have it on good authority that the Trianii species lives to this very day. They've been in hiding, jumping from backwater planet to backwater planet, trading with those they trust for nearly 100 years now. Yes, they have survived. It is a rough existence but they have somehow found a way."

"Why don't they return home?" Jack asked.

" ExO Kati Aimes may be long dead but the family still rules the CSA. They are a family that has built a lie around the Trianii people and what happened on Trian all those years ago. If the public were to ever be informed that the Aimes family had sided with the Sith during the Neo-Sith war and participated in the genocide of a peaceful species," Austin trailed off.

"They would be finished as a family," Kasey finished.

"That doesn't explain why hardly anyone has found Trian and revealed the truth," Jack pointed out.

"Young Jack and I must've been the first ones to the planet in decades," Kasey said.

"The CSA controls the hyperlanes to and from the planet. Somehow you must've gotten through the automated system. Any ship that appears headed in that direction is quickly routed without the pilot knowing and sent around Trian. It's flawless, really. The ultimate cover up," Austin explained. "What ship were you using?"

"The Kyriad," Kasey replied. "We stopped there on our way to Bonadan. Jack here stayed behind to work on some things."

"Is the Kyriad fully resurrected?" Austin asked.

"What do you mean?" Jack said.

"I'm asking if it has most of the original parts," Austin said.

"I'd say 60/40," Jack replied.

"Then there is only one answer," Austin said.

"Which is?" Kasey asked.

"The CSA established that any craft flying to Trian are to be rerouted. They are thinking of modern craft. Craft built in the latter half of this century. They, and nobody else for that matter, would ever think that someone would have the wherewithall to rebuild a two hundred year old vessel, especially one that was destroyed in battle," Austin pointed out.

"So you're saying because I have the Kyriad that somehow we were able to slip through the sensors that mess with other ships' navi-computers?" Jack asked.

Austin nodded. "That's part of it. The other part is something far more telling."

"What might that be?" Kasey asked.

"The Kyriad has been to Trian before," Austin replied.

Kasey and Jack's eyes went wide.

"We need to find the survivors. We need to find the remnants of the Trianii," Austin said.

24. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    The Trianii survived! Excellent discussion. Let's see how they expose this lie. :D

Vehn likes this.
  25. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    Nime, Roon

"The election results are in," Robert Norden said to Eleanor as she sipped her morning coffee.

"Thank the Maker," Eleanor sighed as she took the datapad from Norden's oustretched hand.

"Looks like we have our man," Robert said.

"Looks like we do," Eleanor replied, "I'd say that I can now leave the Federation in good hands."

"Can you trust him?" Robert asked.

"I have no choice. In a month I will be out of this office and the Federation and all those people who voted me into power will have to follow a new leader," Eleanor replied.

"You did good things here," Robert said.

"I did enough," Eleanor replied as she took one final look at the office that had been her home for the last few years. "I did enough."

Nime, Roon

Eleanor stood off to one side as the second inauguration of a Federation president unfolded before her and thousands of people. She felt calm about the man who would become the next President of the Roon Federation. Both men had been highly qualified but only one had captured the hearts and minds of the people. That reassured her that she had done well in chaperoning the first transition of power. That smooth process had made her decision to leave political life for good an easy one to make.

Eleanor had seen the Federation through a brutal war and held various political factions together in order to create a peaceful wartime environment. She'd invested heavily in the Federation economy by putting veterans back to work, shoring up the influence of unions in the coal mines of the Lady Constance Mountain Range, and kept the crops from completely failing in a time of great need. Yes, there were quite a few items that she had never been able to get to but as she stood here and listened to the speech of the man who would succeed her she knew that the Federation was in capable hands.

"That is my promise to you," President William Ypres announced, "my promise is to keep the Federation prosperous and whole. We will not engage in foreign wars. We will not engage in acts that could potentially destroy our hard earned alliances. We will not deal with those who would destroy us without any hesitation. Lastly, I will continue my predecessor's policy of refusing any trade deal with the Republic that hurts our economy and most importantly our people!"

The crowd roared.

"Join me now in giving a warm round of applause to the woman who pioneered all of this, who inspired many of us, and whom I am proud to call my dear friend: Eleanor Vehn!" William said.

Eleanor embraced William and whispered into his ear, "I'm glad you won, William. You are the perfect choice to lead the Federation in this post war period. Thank you for your service to me."

"No, Eleanor, thank you," William replied as he squeezed her tight.

Eleanor made her way to the podium and looked out at the plaza where so many speeches had been given, so many pivotal moments in both the history of the RTO and the Federation, had occured. Yes, this was right. This was what needed to happen. The Vehn family had to let go and this was the first step.

"Honorable citizens of the Federation. I stand before you today asking you to support President William Ypres as he leads you into a brave new galaxy. A galaxy that is very different from the one you and I grew up in. When we were younger the RTO was strong, vibrant. Somewhere, somehow, it became sick and weak until civil war tore it apart. Many beings lost their lives in a conflict that could have been avoided. Not so long ago the RTO had bitter enemies in the Hutts. It had a lucrative trade deal with the Republic. All of this and so much more is gone. I say it is gone for the better.

"'Today I am asking that we move forward and put the tribulations of the past behind us. I am asking that we focus on building a strong future. A future we can be proud of and one that will take us away from the dark memories of the past. We are a proud people. We are a strong people. We are a people that has seen much in our lifetimes and never once have we allowed the struggles of today to determine our fate. Stand behind this government. Stand behind the Federation. Most of all, stand behind the values that have governed this beautiful region of space for decades. Values of honor, integrity, and familial loyalty.

Eleanor paused as she collected her thoughts.

"Serving you as your first President of the Roon Federation was the highest honor I have ever received. I felt that we truly achieved what we set out to do from the moment I was sworn in. It wasn't always perfect, there were times when I know we doubted the way forward, but you have done nothing less than impress me and make me proud to be a citizen of this great government. Thank you to those who stood beside me while the war raged on, thank you to those who stood with my cabinet when difficult political decisions had to be made. Most of all, thank you for who you are and what you do every day. I shall cherish my memories of leading this great coalition to the very end. Thank you."

Eleanor stepped away from the podium and shook hands with President William Ypres, Vice President Sam Cullen, General Stanley Oakes, members of the Federation Senate, and finally Robert Norden.

"Is this the end for you and I, my lady?" Robert asked.

"Go home, Robert. Go home to your family and never come back. You have served me well all of these years. This time, my friend, our parting is final," Eleanor said. "When I sent you away before I always knew I would need you again. But where I go now you cannot follow."

"It has been an honor, my lady," Robert said as he bowed and kissed Eleanor's hand.

Eleanor gently raised Robert's chin and replied, "The honor is all mine."

Tesserone, Roon

Eleanor raced on the highway to Tesserone. The top on her convertible speeder was down and the wind whipped her hair all around as she gave the speeder one final tap of the accelerator before slowing down to hit the driveway. The tree lined drive soothed her mind as she headed toward the front of the house. She punched the brakes sending dust and gravel flying.

Eleanor slammed the door of the speeder shut as she gave Rowan a kiss on the lips and a big hug.

"Welcome home, love," Rowan said.

"Glad to be home," Eleanor replied.

Eleanor made her way to her mother, Verity, and her father, Oisin and gave them a warm embrace as well. She felt great to be back. Back in the home that had sheltered her in the fiercest of storms and had provided the brightest light when all hope was lost. This was the place that drove her to be at her very best. This was the place that made her feel most comfortable.

Someting was missing, however, as Eleanor relaxed back into regular life. Something that wasn't quite right. A hole that existed in her heart.

"Have you heard from Grace?"

Rowan shook his head. "Nothing."

"They said we could visit," Eleanor said. "Something isn't right."

"Are you suggesting a trip?"

"I am," Eleanor replied.

"Do you even know where we are going?" Rowan asked.

Eleanor shook her head. "That's what makes this new adventure all the more fun."

Hold on Grace, I'm coming for you, baby. I'm coming for you.

Tag: Trieste;jcgoble3

Trieste, jcgoble3 and Tim Battershell like this.