main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NYC, NY Any NYC based fan clubs at all? And if not, how do you make one?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by Deklinn, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Deklinn

Deklinn Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2015
    So, I'm an NYC based fan who was looking around to see what local groups there are and was surprised to see that there apparently...aren't any? I remember MEPA well (attended a few meetings in the early oughts), and while I'm not terribly surprised that organization collapsed simply based on my impressions at the time of the personalities involved, I am shocked that nothing seems to have arisen in its stead.

Am I missing something? Or, if there truly aren't any local groups, can someone direct me on how to form one without running afoul of the powers that be at Disney/Lucasfilm or TFN? It is baffling to me that one of the biggest cities in America, which supports an organized Doctor Who fandom, multiple video game clubs, and no fewer than two LBGT geek organizations, can't get it together to have a fandom for the greatest movie series in history.

2. Wild Sidewalker

Wild Sidewalker Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 5, 2012
  3. Deklinn

Deklinn Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2015
    I just contacted Echo Base, thanks for the tip. (I tend to avoid the 501st because, as much as I admire their work, I am not a cosplayer.)

Wild Sidewalker likes this.
  4. BobaChris12

BobaChris12 Former RSA star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 30, 2002
    Starting posting and see if anyone replies. People have had success posting a flyer at local comic shops, video game stores, movie theaters, etc. Make sure to ask permission first.

If you post here, they may come.

5. tamburlaine

tamburlaine Jedi Knight

Sep 3, 2015
    Well I'm here. And I am similarly baffled by the lack of NYC-based SW meetups and fandom groups. So I focus a lot of my time on Twitter, honestly. Unfortunately that means less real life interaction with other fans, which would be SO COOL! @bigpharma

6. GOTHIKA-07

GOTHIKA-07 Jedi Knight

Oct 15, 2007

I was in MEPA and Im trying to find them again. Do you know what happened to them?

7. Deklinn

Deklinn Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2015
    Honestly, if you were an active member you would know better than I. I attended a few meetings in the earlier part of the century but I got the distinct impression everyone had made their friends already and nobody was especially interested in me. I also felt it was a more donservative group than I was expecting and as an LGBT person I wasn't entirely comfortable being out, so I focused my attention on other organizations at the time. My understanding is that after the prequels there wasn't as much will to go on. Full disclosure, these were my impressions as a twentysomething and are not a condemnation, I may have been completely wrong, but the truth is I didn't feel like I had anything to contribute that would be welcome.