main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Parade float: Patch fundraiser, Multi-group effort, build coordination, etc...

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Obey Wann, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Hey everyone,

As you are probably aware, the RMFF and Darth Hair own the float that we have used and updated over the years. It has been a landspeeder, Hoth scene and Jabba's skiff.

Additionally, Zoo has graciously paid for the entry fees for the St. Patrick's Day parade out of pocket for years. The costs are starting to rise, and I don't want her to have to keep fronting the money for the entry when we have people from all of the major fan groups participating -- and using the float.

Additionally, the old skiff has been torn down due to age, weather, etc. So, we have a blank slate.

I am proposing doing a patch fundraiser that will both raise money for materials for the new float design (~$300-400), and to reimburse Zoo for the entry fee.

Darth Hair (Jeff) has asked David Scott to take the lead on designing and building the float.

Here is the design plan as it stands now:

"So the direction were going to go with this is a Jawa sand crawler scene. Going to get blue prints nailed down in the future, but the trailer will be for kids.

The costume can just be brown robes and super basic to get them involved.

Since it needs a railing, we disguise it as a rock wall, and maybe have a few hollow ones to finally get some good sound and free up more of the back of the tow vehicle.

Depending on budget and volunteer activity, we can have some cardboard droids on the trailer and even get some on wheels behind the trailer and hopfully get the droid builders out as well.

It should be a recognizable scene, with room for all the groups, and gets everyone involved in construction and participation. I figure we set the budget at the previous years of 3-400$"

Ideally, we will get help building the float from all of the various groups - RMFF, RL, 501st, Mando Mercs and Droid Builders. We want it to be something that works for all groups, keeps everyone involved and is fun.

There are a couple of ways we can go about fundraising, but a popular one is a patch sale. I will be heading that up, but I need someone with actual design skills to pull it off. The design has to be generic enough that we don't have to involve Merchandising rules from any of the groups (RL/501st, especially).

Sith Chick's design idea is to have a 4-leaf clover, with a SW icon in each of the leafs, and one in the middle, each representing a group.

I did a very rough design, and would need someone with real graphic design work to make it pretty and functional, but it is a start.

I'm open to ideas, suggestions, and help. I will run the patch run once the design is locked down.

[​IMG]

AuttyBot likes this.
  2. BFett88

BFett88 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 5, 2003
    How much of the RMFF Treasury is going to be used for the float this year and going forward? Example buying tarps and other materials to maintain it?

3. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Hopefully the patch will raise a fair amount of money, so the RMFF doesn't have to foot too much (or any) of the bill.

Side note: Would it be better to use the RMFF paypal account so full disclosure is available? Just a thought.

he-guy likes this.
  4. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Generally we like to discuss bigger purchases at at least one monthly meeting, but exceptions have been made and I'm sure this is something the group would overwhelmingly support. Nerfherder is the man with the money if you needed reimbursement for our share in these types of projects.

5. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    I love the idea for the patch, and that design is a great start (especially with RMFF IN the middle :) )... I've never designed a real patch before, but how clear would that text turn out at the bottom? Do we need to come up with a shorter slogan in order to increase the font size, or are you picturing the text wrapping more around an outer circle?

6. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Cory, the great Art Monkey is willing to take a stab at this. We have been chatting on FB, and will discuss it over the phone this weekend. I expect his design to far surpass anything my extremely limited design skills can do.

Photos, I can take and edit in PS. Graphic design, not so much. Cory is the Master. I am not even an apprentice. More of a kindergartner with crayons.

QueenHighMistress and nnaydolem like this.
  7. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005

Me Doth Thinks You Protest too much Sir William and since We are limited to "generic"... simplicity may save the day, er... I mean Patch! [face_monkey] ... and thank You for the kind admiration.

8. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005

My experience with text and embroidery is that small type is a No-No. It has to be at least .25" high to be legible and it has to be generic fonts, I recommend sans serif styles. It seems that one of Obey's friends was very adamant that the design doesn't cross the line that requires a merch status thus requiring us to get approvals and such. Sir William and I will discuss particulars soon and then we can discuss further...
    [face_thinking]

9. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    One of the main reasons to have a fund was for the float and flyers. There's been 3 major things we do in the past, Float, Hauntings, and MileHi Con, we don't do Mile Hi anymore so we have extra funds, I would think.

Normal budget for the float has been $350 - $400 every other year, this last one we used for 3 or 4 years so we've saved money. Anyone at any time can send RMFF funds for an ear marked usage to there choosing.
    Speaking of tarps we do need a few, DH & I donated a ton of wood from my fabric storage room shelves and that is just out in the weather. Could be a big savings in the cost of building a new float but not if it gets water logged.

10. Nerfherders

Nerfherders RMFF Treasurer star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    We have enough in the budget right now for the float if it comes in at that cost. We are just under $500. We don't really do anything else with those funds other than buy prizes for the prize wheel, so I say use it all. By the time DCC rolls around, we will have funds again for prizes. And I would say people are welcome to donate prizes for the prize wheel as well. :) Changing the float should be our primary use of the RMFF funds, IMO.

AuttyBot and SITH__CHICK like this.
  11. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
  12. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008

I missed what was said at the January meeting, but is it correct that the RMFF will be footing 100% of the bill again this year and Zoo won't be reimbursed? Is that where this ended up? :(
    This would have been a great idea, but I understand that we can't always pull off all of our great ideas due to Darth Real Life. Thanks for attempting this, though!

13. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Sorry, Darth Real Life has caught up with me and I had to put this on the backburner. I can check with Cory to see if he has made any progress.

If he can make the design, I will still coordinate the patch run.

14. thejackal327

thejackal327 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2013
    My take away from the meeting was that we would use the current treasury balance to pay for the float, and then re-fill the coffers once the patch is in production. I don't remember discussing reimbursing Zoo at the last meeting. Is this basically what you just said, DieWompRatDie?

15. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008

Yep, that's what I'm saying, too. I thought the concept this year was to have the costs be fronted by all SW-costuming groups this year, hence the patch. A good idea and a step in the right direction. However, I know gra-co_o_hun is a very busy dude and bringing something like this to fruition is tough to do.

Nerfherders and he-guy would ya'll entertain a motion to have the RMFF partially (perhaps reimbursement of 25% of Zoo's entry fee costs with the other 75% to be covered by the 501st, RL, and Mandos) pay back Zoo for her costs?
    Thoughts?

16. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    That sounds fair to me. While the float funding and ownership will be solely RMFF per discussions at the October and December meetings, the parade entry is definitely shared among the groups.

17. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    Hey Gang... I am behind on this endeavor but still want to do a patch or two. Yes, Darth Freelance has had Me in it's clutches so I am sorry that I dropped the ball. [face_worried][face_monkey]

18. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    Is it still too late in the game to produce a patch? I am uncertain what kind of turn-around time there is for something like this as far as actual production.

19. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    It's never too late :)

We actually discussed this at our meeting last weekend, that while it may be too late for proceeds from the patch to pay for current float renovations, we still want to do this project to replenish the treasury funds.

AuttyBot likes this.
  20. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005
    Is it time for a NEW Tee as well? ;)[face_monkey]

FanForced likes this.
  21. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    If you sell a patch, people will buy it.

That's been my experience with swag runs. Since I know you'll produce something unique and kick ass, I have no doubt that it will sell.

I'm still willing to coordinate the swag run once your design(s) are done.

And I hate to ask the question.... but when are we starting on the actual float build?

AuttyBot likes this.
  22. JawaJaka

JawaJaka Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2011
    I still have some plywood in the back of my truck that I'm donating. We don't need to buy a whole bunch of expensive wood if everyone donates some. I also have a small amount of brown paint but we can use some more. I've been looking at oops paints everywhere (almost had a full gallon of dark brown, but when the clerk opened it up it was pink). We do need to coordinate a drop off point and time for materials. My time is getting limited with Galaxyfest coming up, and we only have three weeks to build something no matter who pays what when how.

23. JawaJaka

JawaJaka Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2011
    Also, has anyone talked to the other groups about entry fee costs? They don't have a treasury like we do, so I don't know who in the other groups will pay out of their pocket.

24. gra-co_o_hun

May 5, 2005

Thanks for the vote of confidence Sir William. :D

Since You are spearheading this, You and I can work on the design together for double the Kick-Ass! [face_idea][face_monkey]

he-guy likes this.
  25. Obey Wann

Jan 14, 2000
    Not yet.

Although we are at 5 weekends until the parade. So yeah... we'd probably better get going on all of the building.