main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Will Disney Re-Release Theatrical Cut Of The Original Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Max@TSWP, Sep 18, 2015.

1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Seems to me that Lucas has had no connection to STar Wars for the past 3 years, unless invited. When he's asked about it on the street he's pretty much says it's Disneys problem. I don't think he has say so on anything related to Star Wars.

So I really doubt that Lucas actually took the time to put that in a contract. Hey, it's possible. Not saying it isn't.

but I doubt it.

2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Putting such a clause in the contract would have lost him A LOT of money because Disney is not going to pay the same amount if they're bound like that.

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Lucas doesn't really care about money. That's why he took half in cash and donated it all and the rest in stock options. If Lucas cared about cash, he would have kept the OOT out there and remastered for each new generation of the technology. He wouldn't have waited as long as he did on the DVD's and Blu-Ray's. It is also possible that Disney doesn't have an interest in the OOT and would still pay what they did, since they'd make it back on the films and merchandising alone.

Saga Explorer and DBPirate like this.
  4. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Mr Merchandise doesn't believe in cash? That's a bit hard to believe.

And the more he makes, the more he can give to charity.

5. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Cash for himself? No. Cash for his companies?

[​IMG]

If he was interested in giving more to charity, he would have given all of it to charity and not take stock options.

Saga Explorer and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Like I said selling to Disney with no bidding cost him billions.

For getting Star Wars for a bargain he might get something from Disney for it.

Of course there is.

It's a total bargain at 4B.

On the open market he gets 5B, 6B, 7B or whatever anyone is willing to pay.

They can sell Lucas' artistic vision of Star Wars any way they want to.

If it could be done then why would he NOT do it?

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Knowing Lucas that might just be the contract.

"You cannot distribut the OOT":p

Darkslayer likes this.
  8. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Disney owns Star Wars. That's the bottom line. I'm sure it's a comforting thought that Lucas still controls Star Wars in some way for people, but until there's proof of some sort mechanism for Lucas to do that, it's not a realistic thing to believe. That Lucas would even want to step in at this point is also kind of a joke. He seems content to cede control.

I'm sure there's complications and that Lucas received more than just monetary things, but I don't see how it ever goes to the extent of Lucas maintaing some control over future releases of the Star Wars movies. Disney's going to want to release the OT in 4K at some point, it's going to want to maybe strike a deal with Netflix, it's going to put it in 3D holovision in a few decades, too. Some of that will require significant changes from Lucas' original vision.

Lucas' version will still be in tact in some way or form as a "Director's" Cut, but there's no way he has to be involved in future changes and releases. That's Disney blocking itself from doing certain things.

9. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Future changes should absolutely not be made under any circumstances, but especially not without Lucas' involvement or direction. The idea of that is just gross and weird.

Darkslayer likes this.
  10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Do you know the details of the deal when he sold the company to Disney? How is it unrealistic to think that Lucas, a person who defended so vehemently the artist's rights against corporate decisions regarding artistic works, would leave some clauses about which version of his work he would like to be available to the public? Or safeguard his ability to change it whenever he wants?

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  11. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

No company would allow that. Lucas can just walk in and decide to change things about the movies randomly? Not a chance.

TX-20 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Allow? It's a deal, both parts have to accept it. Why would something like this be out of it? Why wouldn't Disney accept a clause like that at the expense of owning the Star Wars IP and profiting from everything with its name?

Qui-Riv-Brid and DBPirate like this.
  13. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    I'm sure Lucas would have included that. Not that I have a problem with it or anything. Disney would be stupid to not get all of those Star Wars profits just because they wouldn't be able to release the OOT.

14. All_Powerful_Jedi

Sep 12, 2003

I don't know the details, but that's exactly what my point was. The only thing we all know is that Disney owns the Star Wars property. The only place where we know things get a little hairy is with Fox still having rights to the original six movies. Those are the broad strokes and the only relevant facts.

Beyond that, any thoughts of Lucas still owning Star Wars to some degree are coming from imagination and heavy, heavy conjecture.

Darth_Pevra and TX-20 like this.
  15. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Their distribution rights for all the movies save ANH run out around 2020. FOX owns ANH's distribution in perpetuity but Lucasfilm-Disney does own the movie itself.

Nothing random about it. Nothing about walking in. They are the ones walking in.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if that is the case. The current versions are the locked in ones unless both agree to any changes which is what these rumored 4K versions have such as "Han shoots first".

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Same thing with claims about how unrealistic it is for Lucas to not leave a clause about what versions of the movies he made he wants out there.

One thing is for certain, wether we get the unaltered versions or not, it's because Lucas decided so.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  17. All_Powerful_Jedi

Sep 12, 2003

It doesn't work like that. You're working with the logical fallacy of proving a negative.

Darth_Pevra and Artoo-Dion like this.
  18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. I'm not asking you to prove a negative. I'm saying it's not out of the realm of possibility.

19. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003

You have proof of this?

We've had multiple rumors about the release of the OOT. None have been debunked by Lucasfilm or Disney. One rumor stating that LFL plans to release the set, but were having trouble clearing up the old negatives. For all we know they could announce it next month, or they could be waiting for the anniversary.

As is there is no evidence that Lucas is the deciding factor in anything Star Wars, and those who think so have been proven wrong time and time again just by keeping up with the developement of Episode 7.

You guys do realize that the Library of ****ing Congress is still waiting for their unaltered version of Star Wars.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    [​IMG]

21. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003

What does that prove exactly?

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Again, this presumes that Disney sees a need in putting out the OOT, even if Lucas didn't have a clause that would prevent it. They can make as much money selling the six films from the Blu-Ray set, the new films and the merchandising.

Business deals involve certain conditions being met that is satisfactory to both parties. Such as business mergers that are not hostile takeovers. We know that Lucas had insisted on Disney not firing everyone who didn't want to stay with the companies. As well as that he would pick who would run the company. We also know that when Iger wanted to buy the company, part of the caveat was that they get the right to make more films. That deal was important for him and Lucas could easily use barring the OOT as his bargaining chip. "I'll give you what I have to make Episodes VII through IX, as well as any other film rights that you want, provided that future releases of Episodes IV through VI remain the 2011 Blu-Rays and that no copies of the films from before 1997 would be re-released."

Rumors, not facts. If it happens, then we know that such a caveat doesn't exist. But if it never happens, then it seems to indicate that a caveat does exist.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Exactly. And if it doesn't exist, it's because Lucas is fine with it.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  24. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    I don't see them making as much money from the versions that have been released every two years beginning in 2011 as opposed to versions that are currently not available on an HD format. There is only so many ways they can continue to market a product that was released on 2011, 2013 and 2015. With a release of the theatrical versions, they can at least market them as "For the first time on Blu-ray, the original theatrical versions of the most popular trilogy of all time" or something along those lines. There is mass interest in an HD release of the OOT evidenced by every rumor regarding such a release blowing up all over the internet. This thread alone is based on an unsubstantiated rumor. 17 pages based on a rumor. Rumors regarding a release of the OOT get far more coverage than a re-re-release of the Special Editions on Blu-ray.

25. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    ^^^This

lovelikewinter likes this.