main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Unexpected Surprise

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by KELIA, Nov 25, 2015.

1. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Title: An Unexpected Surprise
    Author: Kelia
    Genre: Saga - Humor
    Character: Sly Moore
    Notes: This was a fun little drabble I did just to see if I could

Sly Moore stepped into her newly decorated office her nose wrinkling in disgust as she took in the lush midnight blue carpet blanketing the floor. “Unnecessary,” she sniffed ignoring the unfamiliar comfort it offered. She preferred the hard, unyielding coldness of a bare floor, believing it gave her discipline.

Her eyes scanned the eggshell paint covering the walls and the simple yet stylish sofa and chairs in matching shades of chamois. “Acceptable, I suppose,” she thought unwilling to admit her approval of the neutral color or the absence of any decorations adorning the room.

She was, at first, completely against any luxuries in her office, not seeing the sense of wasting funds on anything not necessary to survival but Emperor Palpatine quickly changed her mind, pointing out the importance of appearances when it came to him or anyone connected to him. Sly would do anything to please the Emperor and tolerating a few niceties would be a small thing to do.

She began crossing the room, stopping abruptly when she spotted an elaborately decorated package sitting in the center of her desk. “What the -,” her lips twisted into a sneer as she recognized the festive Winter Solstice symbols intertwined with glittering red and green bursts of color. A gold tag was attached that read to Sly Moore from Father Solstice.

“When I get my hands on the dim witted, slemo, e-chu-ta responsible for this,” she hissed, her hands clenching. She’d heard of this silly tradition sweeping the galaxy of gifts given in secret by a mysterious do gooder but never thought she’d see it happen here, on Coruscant in her office!

She took the gift, shredding the carefully wrapped paper into tiny pieces revealing an even more revoltingly decorated gift box that almost had her gagging. “I must speak to the Emperor about outlawing this ridiculous holiday,” she thought ripping off the top.

“You’ve got to be kidding,” she spat lifting a soft bundle wrapped in layers of tissue paper held together by a ribbon. She pulled the ribbon apart, allowing its remnants to fall to the floor along with the paper.

Her eyes widened as she held up a long, plain blue robe of coarse fabric. “Hmmmm,” she shook the robe marveling at its simplicity. “It’s practical, not gawdy,” she thought rubbing the fabric between her fingers enjoying the red marks it left.

“Not at all comfortable….It’s perfect!” The corners of her mouth twitched, almost forming a smile before she stopped herself. “I don’t need a new robe,” she reminded herself, “still...,” she paused, glancing back at the garment. “I could use it so it would’t be a complete waste and it’s not like I can return it.” Her decision made, she quickly stuffed the robe into a drawer. “Perhaps this silly tradition isn’t so bad after all.”

Kurisan, Admiral Volshe and Ewok Poet like this.
  2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh, what fun to see a Sly Moore story! I always had a soft spot for this character and her design ever since first seeing her in... whichever characters guide it was. :p I can totally imagine her being such a prim stickler, too. I can totally guess who her "secret Father Solstice" is in this, too—no doubt the same Emperor who prevailed upon her to pretty up her office a little—which, wow, is quite an image! Thanks so much for sharing. :)

KELIA and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    This was a fun little story!

I liked how she came around to the gift, it was clear whoever gave it to her probably knew her, knew that she would not want something frivolous, but something useful to her.

I'm glad to see you back around these parts, KELIA! [:D] Don't be a stranger!

Findswoman likes this.
  4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Wow, you're one strange kind of a disciplinarian, mistress Moore! [face_cow]

I laughed all throughout this. And I can totally understand how she feels, because I don't like the holidays and I prefer to give gifts than receive them, but sometimes, there are people who know you so well that they know you will like it.

Then, there's the strange symbolism - the gift is just like the one who gave it to her: one thing on the outside and a completely different thing on the inside. Clever. :D

Findswoman and KELIA like this.
  5. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    This is a clever little gem of a character study! You've done a great job of fleshing out a background character and giving her a vivid personality. The idea of giving an ascetic a scratchy cloak as the perfect present is genius. :D

Kurisan, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  6. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Haha, very nice Kelia. Didn't know Sly was like that so I learned something today. Shame about your typo in the thread title. I wonder if it put anyone off?

Thanks for sharing!

Kuri

Ewok Poet likes this.