main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends The Journal of Talon Tantiss: Jedi Knight and Reluctant Vornskr Owner: Complete [DDC 2015]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi_Lover, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    busted, Talon should've realized that Mark would've never involved him some assassination attempt.

Loved the post, can't wait for more

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved the banter about the hidden compartments.
    And what with the baby-making? Will we see more?
    And Talon and his dad are always fun to read

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL! The banter never stops, with this family it'd be strange if it did! :)

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  4. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Loved the appearance by Karrde! Aw, I hope he gets the grandbaby he wants.

Jedi_Lover and Nyota's Heart like this.
  5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks. I don't know if Mark would never assassinate someone. He did go to assassinate the Emperor reborn, so he has attempted to do it. But for that to happen a person would have to be a clear, present and extreme danger to society or Mark's family. I guess if he was a D&D character he would be neutral good.

I would like to see Talon with a little girl one day. :)

They love to banter. :p

I would love to see both couples with a kid. I can't imagine living on a ship with younglings though. They might have to hire some crew at that point and settle down somewhere. It is too bad the Jedi Temple is so far from Indupar. It would be nice if Talon was closer to his son.

Sorry that these updates are so delayed. I have been so busy. I had been so occupied and stressed that I started to feel ill. I had to force myself to relax this weekend and get some sleep. I am really doubting I will be able to pull of NaNo next month. What I do know if I need to get my second post in for this diary. I sat down and wrote this in the last couple hours, so it is not my best work.

Thanks everybody for reading!

Entry 32

An hour later I crossed paths with my dad leaving his cabin dressed in his gaudy blue and gold uniform. It was the same one he wore on Indupar, but this time his dark trousers were tucked into highly polished, leather, knee high jackboots. On his head was a dark blue shako topped with a golden plum. For civilians not familiar with this type of headgear, it basically looks like he’s wearing a bucket on his head, except it has a short brimmed visor and it’s garnished with feathers. I noticed he wasn’t wearing his gold-plated blaster or lightsaber today. I guess he doesn’t want to make Mokk Streke nervous. He gave me a wave of his hand as he slung a small backpack over his shoulder. “How do I look?”

I literally bit my bottom lip to keep myself from laughing at his outfit. I wanted to tell him he looked ridiculous, but instead said. “Great.” I didn’t want any follow up questions on his outlandish outfit, so I changed the subject by making an innocuous query. “What’s in the pack?”

My father grinned mischievously. “Thermal detonators. I plan to blow up the senate.”

I shook my head with a grimace. “Not funny Dad. I’m never going to hear the end of this, am I? I’m sorry I was apprehensive about the sniper blaster.”

A big bearded smile crossed his face as he gave me a good-natured smack on the shoulder. “Sorry, I can’t help teasing you. You’re so suspicious of everyone and everything.”

My mouth drew into a hard line as I glared at my father. “No, I’m not suspicious of everything!” I protested. “Kriff it, Dad! You can’t give me your enigmatic “Drop it” speech that hints of possible nefarious things you may or may not have done with your friend Deke and then get upset when I get a bit paranoid when you hide a long-range sniper blaster on my ship.”

My father’s smile slipped from his face as he gave a nod his head. “You’re right. I’ve been secretive.” He put a hand on my shoulder and gave it a soft squeeze. “If it makes you feel better, when I left with Deke…I didn’t kill anyone. I simply got rid of some incriminating computer records.”

I sighed deeply. “How incriminating?”

“Let’s just say if the information got out it would devastate the Jedi and our entire family.” He looked away. “I think you know what I’m hiding. You’re a good guesser…or maybe you used your post-cognitive powers to figure it out.”

“No, I didn’t use the Force.” I dropped my head into my hand and groaned. I suspected Jacen was involved in the Hapan plague that killed off a number of Tenel Ka’s murderous and conniving relatives and now Dad was all but confirming my belief. I looked up to my father and realized he appeared apprehensive about my response. I gave a curt nod of my head and a forced smile. “I hope you and Deke did a thorough job.”

“We did.” He glanced at the backpack strap he held in his hand. “It’s a change of clothing. I don’t want to be in this starched uniform all day.” He stepped forward and gave me a hug. “I shouldn’t joke about such things. I’m sorry that I hid the truth from you, but nothing good would have come from you knowing.”

I returned the hug and then stepped back and smiled. “Let’s change the subject. What are you going to ask from Streke in exchange for the crystals?”

He gave me a big, toothy grin. “Coruscant’s Delta Reserve Fleet and some credits to refurbish them. They hold no tactical value to the planet. They’re already decommissioned and scheduled for disposal within the next five to ten years.”

I gave a slight nod of my head as I tried to remember the specifications of that fleet. “How many ships does that armada have?”

“Two hundred total, although most are X-wings, small Carrack-Class cruisers and Strike-Class medium cruisers. Our intelligence sources say there are at least seven Star Destroyers.”

I gave out a slow whistle. “Damn, Dad! Are you planning on going to war?”

Dad shrugged a shoulder. “We’re already at war with the Nagai. And there are probably other systems that might want to steal the crystals from us.”

I looked at him glumly. “Did the seers see a need for such a massive navy?”

My dad made an “I don’t know” gesture. “Marcus talked about the potential job opportunities for his people. Refurbishing the fleet would bring in probably a million jobs and then he would have to hire people to serve as crew. He never mentioned it’s tactical advantage, just the economic.”

I blew out a breath. “That’s good to know.” I reached out and gave my father’s shoulder a squeeze. “Good luck and may the Force be with you.”

He smiled widely. “It always is.”

Entry 33

Zylie and I decided to spend some of our free time with my brother and his family, so we arranged to have lunch at Jaden’s quarters at noon. When Zylie and I arrived my four-year-old niece, Jessa, greeted us at the door. “Uncle Talon!” she yelled while jumping up-and-down in front of me, arms upraised and begging to be picked up. I reached down and scooped up the four-year-old child. “Whoa, Jessa, you’re getting big. Pretty soon I won’t be able to pick you up any more.” She just giggled and kissed me on the cheek. “I missed you and Aunt Zylie.”

“I missed you too.” I gave her a kiss on the cheek before setting her back on the ground so I could greet my brother and his wife Jysella. I gave Jaden a hug and then kissed Jysella on the cheek. “How’s everything going on Coruscant?”

“Well, life here isn’t as exciting as it is on Ec Pand,” Jaden said before cocking his head to scrutinize my hair. “I’m surprised you don’t have any grey hairs yet, Brother. Jysella and I caught Marcus’ performance on the holonet. I’m surprised dad didn’t have a heart attack.”

“I just about had a heart attack.” I made a face and threw my hands up in the air. “You’re lucky you have a girl.”

“Oh, I’m sure Jessa will be giving me conniptions in no time.” Jaden turned his attention to Zylie giving her a brotherly hug and kiss before leading us into the living room. “I hope you guys can stay a while.” He motioned for us to sit.

“It’s going to depend on how quickly negotiation go for Dad and Streke,” I said as Zylie and I relaxed on my brother’s couch. Jaden and Jysella settled down across from us on a matching love seat.

“That may take forever,” my brother said with a smirk. “Streke isn’t the most reasonable politician in the galaxy.”

At that moment Jessa ran up to her father and jumped onto his lap. My brother cringed as a fifteen kilogram child landed on his groin. “Ohhh, Jessa, you’re not a baby anymore.” He stood, placing the dark-haired little girl on the floor and pointing to her bedroom. “Why don’t you go play with your dolls in your room while the grown-ups talk.”

Jessa looked at Zylie and me apprehensively. “You’re not leaving, are you?”

“No, we’ll be here for a while.” I gestured towards her room. “Go on and play. We’ll see you in a little for lunch.”

As soon as she ran off Jaden doubled over while clutching his crotch. “She’s got to break that habit before I am rendered sterile.”

“Oh,” Jysella said suddenly. “That reminds me.” She turned to Jaden. “You were going to ask him…about…you know.”

My brother looked confused for a second but then his expression turned to one of comprehension. “Oh, yeah, yeah.” He sat down on the couch before leaning forward and looking at me expectantly. He started to say something but then stopped and started laughing. He turned to his wife. “No, I can’t ask him. You ask him.”

Jysella shook her head. “You need it, so you ask.”

I looked between the two in confusion. “Listen guys, we’re family. Anything you need, just ask.”

Jaden chuckled under his breath and blushed. “We were wondering if I could get a sperm sample from you.”

“What?” Zylie gasped in disbelief. She gazed at my brother. “Did something happen and you no longer can have children?”

I put my hands up in the air. “Wait! I don’t know if I’m up for that.”

Jaden made a halting gesture. “No, no, no. I definitely do not want you fathering any of my children. I didn’t get kneed in the groin that hard.” He started to explain but started laughing. He turned back to Jysella. “I told you this would be a difficult topic to broach.”

She waved him off impatiently and turned back to me. “Jaden is researching Force heritability and is currently checking midichlorians counts in sperm. He is quietly asking for male volunteers of various Force abilities.”

My eyes went wide as a broad grin split my face realizing my brother had a breakthrough in his medical research. “You found them! You isolated midichlorians. I knew you could do it.” When I noticed my brother wasn’t smiling I asked, “What’s wrong?”

He shrugged. “I didn’t discover them. Another scientist did—Doctor J’Shan. He’s a renowned geneticist, pathologist and virologist working for the Galactic Alliance Institute of Health. He discovered our elusive midichlorians. I’m now researching heritability.”

Zylie looked to him sadly. “Sorry Jaden. I know how much effort you put into that research.”

“Wait,” I said slowly, somewhat puzzled. “Why is a government institute researching Midichlorians? And how did they even know of their existence? We only knew about them because of the memories dad acquired when the Emperor Reborn temporarily possessed his body. I thought only the top Jedi knew about their existence.”

“One can never suppress knowledge fully.” My brother ran a hand through his dark brown hair and sighed. “When I saw Dr. J’Shan’s published paper on the subject I immediately contacted him. He said he was given a government grant to find the source of Force powers. He came upon the name midichlorians in his research and decided to maintain the original name if he ever located them in the human body.”

“Who gave him a government grant?” I asked nervously.

My brother gave me a knowing look. “I’ll give you one guess.”

“Mokk Streke,” Zylie and I said simultaneously.

My brother nodded. “I became so nervous about the funding source that I volunteered to assist Doctor J’Shan so I can keep an eye on him.”

I started to get a sick feeling in my stomach. “Does Uncle Luke know?”

“Yes,” my brother said with a nod. “He’s the one that suggested I work with the doctor. At this time the Dr. J'Shan doesn’t appear to know the purpose for the research grant, he just finds the topic fascinating. I think he is totally oblivious to Streke’s anti-Jedi sentiments.”

I shifted in my seat. “Why do you think Streke is having the research done?”

Jaden ran a hand over his chin and stared at the ceiling in thought. “My best guess is he wants to find out how to render midichlorian’s inactive.”

I sucked in a breath. “You think he is going to attack the Jedi Order? Infect us with a virus to kill off our midichlorians?”

Jysella shook her head. “I have a hard time believing the Chief-of-State would go that far. I think he wants to neutralize the ever-increasing Force-sensitive criminal population.”

Jaden nodded in agreement. “Unless a Force-sensitive criminal commits a horrific crime like murder, he’s going to be out on the street again one day. I think Streke wants to make sure he is forever cut off from the Force. So far Dr. J’Shan hasn’t mentioned trying to figure out how to eradicate or attenuate these midichlorians organelles and hopefully he’ll never attempt that discovery. I temporarily got him sidetracked researching how they are passed from parent to child. To keep him on that path I need to provide him with something to research, hence the sperm sample. Midichlorians are located in sperm along side of mitochondria. In fact they are just as ubiquitous as mitochondria and found in all cells except erythrocytes. They have their own genetic code like mitochondria and they look so much like them that I overlooked the organelle until the difference was pointed out by Dr. J’Shan. They were hiding in plain sight.”

"But what is confusing is why the paternal midichlorian genes are passed on from the father, but they aren't in mitochondria," Jysella added. "It could be the regulatory protein that is found in the female ovum that is tasked to target and destroy male mitochondrial DNA upon conception doesn't work against midichorlian DNA."

"Ah ha," I muttered sagely, like I actually understood what was said. We all fell into a contemplative silence until Jaden slapped his hands together and said, “I’m hungry. Let’s eat.”

I had to shake my head. I don’t know how my brother could be so trusting of this doctor and the intentions of the Chief-of-State. Maybe dad’s right; I’m too suspicious of everyone and everything.

6. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Interesting theory, but I thought midi-chlorian counts were through the blood?

Anyways more soon

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I'm not necessarily suspicious of the doctor. He may be just a fascinated scientist who will not and cannot be bought off to do something unethical with his findings, but then again, if he doesn't "cooperate" I wouldn't put it past Streke to do something "nefarious." Streke is the one who needs to be neutralized. :p

8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    They are found in blood. In my fanfic Choices my theory was midichlorians were mutated mitochondria (which is found in white blood cells and platelets). In this story that might be the case, but right now they are saying they have a structure very similar to mitochondria, so much so that they were overlooked as the source of Force abilities. Since they know it is heritable from the male and female then I assume Jaden was looking in autosomal DNA for some type of marker, but if midichlorians have their own DNA like mitochondria, then it wouldn't be coded in the autosomal DNA. The trouble is, if midichlorians are passed on to children the same way as mitochondria, then one would think it would only be passed through the maternal line, but that is not the case with Force sensitivity. That is what Jaden is researching.

To answer your question, if they are found in most eurkaryotic cells, then you could test blood for their presence, but they will also be found in other cells including sperm and egg. I assume the Jedi of old thought doing a blood test was the easiest way to test for their presence.

Exeter likes this.
  9. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Very interesting update. I hope they don't find an anti-dote for midi's.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  10. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I decided to edit the last post to clarify that midichlorians are found in all the same cells as mitochondria. That was in my head, but I don't think I did a good job making that point. So I added that they have their own genome and appear to be passed into the fertilized egg at conception. But unlike paternal mitochondria DNA that gets destroyed and doesn't pass on to the child, midichlorians can be inherited from the father.

Thanks Falcon for asking that question. I have been so incredibly busy this last month that sometimes things that I am thinking don't make it into the post.

11. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I haven't figured out why Streke hates Jedi, but I would assume that would be a common sentiment in the galaxy. Since they are born with this ability and it is passed down to their kids most of the time I would think they would be looked at as just some lucky kriff that have it made because of their family. You know, like Paris Hilton who is famous because her family is filthy rich...well, that and the sex tapes. How would you like it if some people are born with a special ability to read minds and only these people are hired for the job you wanted and there is no way for you to become psychic. It would be frustrating. But yeah, I think Streke is the person with a different agenda here.

I agree. That would make a GFFA somewhat boring.

Thanks for pointing out that I didn't make that clear. I meant to say they were found in almost all cells and they were looking at the cells that would control heredity.

Thanks for reading. Here is a short post. It is NaNoWriMo, so my updating might be erratic.

Entry 34

My father came back to the ship late that night. I was surprised that he didn’t stay at the hotel with his delegation, but he just shook his head and mumbled something about not wanting to spend a second longer with politicians than absolutely necessary…and then he begged me not to tell my Aunt Leia he said that.

“How did the negotiations go?” I asked as he poured himself a cup of caf in the ship galley. He scooted into the dining table booth seat and frowned. “Do you have any whiskey?”

"That bad, huh?" I slide into the seat across from him assuming my non-drinking father's request for alcohol was in jest. “What happened?”

He smirked. “Streke was not happy to see me, but since I have an official court position on the King’s Counsel he really can’t turn me away without causing a diplomatic incident. I could tell he was nervous about me being a Jedi. I’m surprised he didn’t wear a metallic foil hat to keep my evil Jedi mind-tricks from boring into his tiny brain.” He looked up from his cup and gave me a questioning look. “Why aren’t you and Zylie staying with your brother and his family?”

I gave a noncommittal shrug. “I prefer some privacy.”

My dad guffawed. “Is having a hyperactive four-year-old around a little too much for you?”

“Nah, that’s not it.”

“Then what is it?”

“Zylie looks sad when she sees Jessa. I think she wants a child, but at the same time this really isn’t a good time for us to start a family. Her and Valla have the Karrde family business to watch over, Ben and I have Jedi missions, Marcus is off decapitating foreign generals…I don’t know…it’s just a difficult time, but I know she’s wondering if there will ever be a right time.”

My father gave me a warm smile. “I’ll happen…probably sooner than later.” He took a sip of his drink and gazed at me affectionately. “She knows you want another child, doesn’t she? She doesn’t believe you are satisfied with Marcus, does she?”

I nodded. “She knows. I’ve said I would give up everything for her. I’d leave the Jedi if she wanted to start a family.”

My father looked down at his cup and gave a soft smile. “You are a good father. I know it has been difficult for you being away from Marcus, but I want you to know that Marcus knows how much you love him and how desperately you wanted to be a full time father to him.” He glanced up to look me in the eyes. “I tell him stories about your childhood all the time and show him holos of you. I know it is not as good as being there with him, but it's the best I can do for now. I predict you will have more time with him now that he is King. If I can talk the Chief-of-State to part with his decommissioned fleet then Marcus will cement his place within Indupar as the most popular leader in the planet’s history. He is doing amazing things for his people. Soon nobody will care if it is discovered he’s not the true heir.”

“Do you think Streke will give you the fleet?”

My dad grinned. “Oh course he will. He’s not wearing his metallic foil hat to these negotiations.”

I shook my head in disbelief. “You’re bad.” I stopped and gave him a questioning gaze. “You’re not doing mind-tricks on him, are you?”

Dad frowned. “Talon, I’m shocked that you would say such a thing.”

For the second time this week I deeply regretted my insensitive comments. “I’m sorry dad, it’s just you are always joking and…”

“He would have to possess a functioning mind for a Jedi-mind trick to work,” my father interrupted with a laugh. “I would have better luck doing a mind-trick on a rock.”

I leaned over the table and smacked my father in the shoulder. “Stop teasing me!”

A scream coming down from the corridor interrupted my father’s laughter. “Talon!" I could hear Zylie frantically calling me. "Come to the cargo bay! Quick!”

My dad and I looked to each other before we jumped from our seats and ran down the corridor to the cargo area where we found Zylie sitting on the metallic deck and cradling the head of her pet Vornskr. Princess was panting heavily, her tongue lolling out of her mouth. Zylie looked up to me wide-eyed. “She’s in labor. We need to find her a comfortable place to have her pups.”

“What do you need?” my father asked.

“There are some old blankets in the corridor closet. Find a medium size cargo box, take off the lid and turn it on its side so she will feel safe inside. They like to give birth in small caves or burrows they excavate.”

My father turned to me. “You get the blankets and I’ll get a box.”

The next hour was spent getting a nice birthing area set up for my wife’s very pregnant and highly irritable pet. I was surprised that I didn’t get bit once, but that wasn’t for the lack of trying. She snapped at me twice, but luckily my Jedi reflexes saved me.

The last time she lunged at me my dad chuckled and then bravely reached out and patted the top of Princess’ head. “She really doesn’t like you, does she?”

“Gee, Dad, what gave you that idea?” I held up my arm where the faint scars from her last attack can still be seen. “She’s a Force-hunting predator and I am her favorite prey.”

My father scoffed. “She doesn’t like you because you don’t like her. Animals can sense these things.”

“Well, it’s not going to change anytime soon.” I finished setting up the box and blankets and allowed Zylie to move the psychotic animal into her new birthing quarters. “When she starts acting a little nicer to me," I said to my dad. "Maybe my attitude will change.”

I left Zylie to baby her pet vornskr. I can tell you now, I am not looking forward to having a cargo bay fully of baby vornskrs.

Falcon likes this.
  12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Loved the assurances about Marcus & the right time to start a family. Nope, I wouldn't look forward to having a litter of Vornskrs either! :eek:

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  13. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    and then he begged me not to tell my Aunt Leia he said that.

[face_tee_hee] Leia has heard this line from Han

time for babies to come :) more soon

Jedi_Lover and Nyota's Heart like this.
  14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Maybe some baby vornskr likes Talon. He should get friendly towards the little pups

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  15. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Maybe the litter will make Talon a little less reluctant Vornskr owner.

Yeah, I am sure Han has a few choice words for politicians.

I think the cuteness factor is going to melt Talon's heart. :)

This is a short post since I am in the middle of NaNoWriMo.

Entry 35

I thought once a vornskr went into labor the babies would pop out within minutes, but eighteen hours later we were still waiting. Zylie said the longest she has ever waited was twenty-two hours, but she has heard of vornskrs going two or three days from the start of labor until delivery. So now I am stuck on a ship waiting for Princess to push out a half dozen or so Jedi-hating baby vornskrs. That’s just great. The Skywalkers invited us to having dinner with them. Dad went, but we had to decline because there was no way Zylie would leave Princess while she was so near to giving birth.

It wasn’t until after dinnertime that Zylie ran from the cargo bay all excited. “She had her babies! She has seven pups. It’s the largest litter I’ve seen.”

“Oh wonderful,” I said with mock enthusiasm.

I guess my sarcasm wasn't lost on Zylie because she frowned and lightly smacked me on the shoulder. “Knock it off.” She then grabbed my hand and dragged me into the cargo area. “Come on and see them. They have really pretty markings.”

As soon as I got about three meters from Princess she started growling. I stopped and shook my head. “She’s not going to let me get near her babies, Zylie.”

She gave my arm a tug. “Yes she will, if I’m with you. You don’t have to get too close to see them.”

I made a very vocal sigh before slowly approaching the beast. There, suckling on Princess’ teats was a mass of squirming fur with pink whip like tails. They were pushing each other and fighting for position all the while squeaking like baby pittins. I have to admit, they are cute…when they're young.

Most were dark brown, but a couple had light reddish stripes giving them the look of a Ralitir tiger. I noticed one tiger-striped pup was much smaller than the others and was having a hard time finding a teat. I pointed to the runt. “That guy is struggling to get food.”

Zylie looked at the animal sadly. “He’s unfortunate to be the runt in a litter of seven when a vornskr only has six teats. He probably won’t survive.”

I looked at her incredulously. “When the others are done eating, can’t he eat?”

She shook her head. “Vornskr mothers are strange. They often will push away the runt and let him die. It is believed it is a survival mechanism. Her body can barely nourish six pups, the seventh or eighth could jeopardize the entire litter. Sorry, but that little guy probably won’t make it.”

I went slack jawed at that comment. Zylie has such a soft spot for these creatures but she seems perfectly content to let one of the babies die. “Can’t you hand feed him?”

She shook her head. “My father and I had tried with some of his vornskr litters, but the rejected pups don’t thrive. It just prolongs the inevitable.”

I looked down at the tiny mewing pub desperately trying to squeeze in past his or her siblings to get nourishment, but his brothers and sisters pushed him away with their paws.

“Zylie, I can’t believe you are going to just watch him die because you couldn’t help a few pups in the past.”

She put her hands on her hips and glowered at me. “Talon, it’s not just that I couldn’t do it. Nobody has ever done it. Believe me, I researched this. It has never been successfully achieved.”

I shook my head. “How many documented cases of vornskr hand feedings can there be? They are not a common species. There has to be something that hasn’t been tried.”

“True, but if it hasn’t been tried it is because nobody has thought of it yet.” She leaned into me and put her head on my shoulder. “Talon, it’s sweet that you want to help, but I don’t want you to be disappointed.”

“This just doesn’t seem right…you know, letting him starve to death.” I turned to Zylie. “I’d like to try helping the little guy. Maybe I can use the Force to help me do it. At least we’d know we tried.”

A wide smiled crossed Zylie’s face and I was fairly sure she was getting all misty eyed. “Talon, I knew you had a soft spot for Vornskrs. I’ll go into town later and get the ingredients to make the milk formula.” She stood on her toes and kissed me on the cheek. “You’re so sweet.”

“Yeah, I know.” Damn it! Why do vornskr pups have to look so cute? “But as soon as this guy is strong enough to feed himself he is out of here along with his brothers and sisters,” I said adamantly. “One vornskr is enough. In fact, it’s one too many on this ship.”

Revanfan1 and Falcon like this.
  16. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Awww Talon wants to help the runt of the litter, do I detect some sort of bonding that might happened between them?

more soon

17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    I hope Talon will succeed with the pup. Maybe Princess and the other pups will come to like him too.

Nyota's Heart and Falcon like this.
  18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Got tickled at Talon's insistence. :D It might just work. ;)

19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Baby animals grow on you. My husband was the worst anti-cat person in the world when we met, but he wanted a motorcycle and I wanted a cat. So we agreed to compromise. He got a motorcycle and I got my kitten. After laying his bike on its side a few times he realized he is not good at riding a motorcycle. He sold it, but I kept the cat. I think we have had a dozen cats since. He is now the cat person more than I am. He actually saw these old, old cats on death row in the newspaper (shelter pets). He adopted two cats that were estimated between 10-16 years old. He's the sucker for those sad kitty cat eyes. I figure Talon will be the same way. :D

Somehow I doubt Princess will ever like Talon. My theory is Princess sees him as competition for Zylie's time and affection. She's jealous.

It might...after a lot of trial and error and pain. :p

Thanks everybody for reading. I am getting to the end of NaNo, but I thought I would make a quick post so I don't forget to do so.
    Entry 36

The next day Zylie purchased the ingredients to make Vornskr milk substitute: evaporated blue milk, a carton of egg yokes, salad oil, and honey.

I grinned at her. “Is this for the pup or did you decided to start cooking me breakfast?”

“Only if you want to be fed substitute mother’s milk.” She smiled at me brightly. “Vornskr milk is high in fat, protein and natural sugars.” She gave me her ‘I know what I am doing’ look and began mixing ingredients. When she was done she pulled out a package that said ‘Pet Nursing Kit’. “These are for pittins, but they should work for the pup until he gets bigger and then I guess we can use a human baby bottle. I’m not sure if it will work though, since I never had an abandoned baby vornskr last more than a week.” Her expression saddened as she filled up the bottle. “Talon, don’t get your hopes up. I think it’s wonderful that you want to save the pup, but realize…” She trailed off not wanting to make the news grimmer than it already was. “Just don’t get too attached.”

She screwed the top onto the bottle and moved toward the cargo area. “Come on, I’ll get the runt from Princess.”

“Okay.” I stood at the doorway of the cargo area while Zylie walked toward her vornskr, but stopped and then turned around. “I’ll be back. I forgot something.” She gave me a warning glare. “Don’t try to get him on your own unless you want Princess having a Jedi snack.”

“Yeah, I know. Princess and I are never going to be buddies.”

Zylie left me in the cargo area alone with my arch enemy vornskr. I was across the cargo bay from the beast, but she raised her head, bared her teeth and growled at me.

I wagged my finger at her. “Don’t get started with me, Princess. I’m not the one abandoning my own flesh and blood because he is too small.” I crossed my arms across my chest and was waiting for my wife to return when I heard a soft mewing noise coming from the corner of the cargo bay. Keeping my eye on Princess I moved in the direction of the pitiful mournful cry. In a dark corner, I could hear moment coming from between a couple cargo boxes. I reached to my belt and pulled out my glowrod and activated it. There, shivering on the floor was the little runt. He was trembling so badly that he looked like he was near death. I turned around and glared at Princess. “You are a very bad mother!” I returned my attention to the little pup, stretching my arm down in between the cargo containers until I could feel the pup’s soft fur between my fingers. As I grasped the little guy around his torso I felt a sharp pain in my hand followed by a burning sensation.

“ARRRGGGGGHHHH!”

I pulled my hand out and discovered the runt had whipped his barbed tail around in a defensive manner and buried his stinger in the webbed skin between my thumb and index finger. The pup was still attached to my hand, hanging by his tail, and squealing hysterically. My first instinct was to shake my hand to dislodge the barb, but realized that might kill the animal. I instead reached up with my uninjured hand and grabbed the pub so he didn’t get his tail pulled off during my struggle to dislodge him from my flesh. “Zylie!!”

Zylie rushed into the cargo hold with a feeding bottle in one hand and a pair of leather gloves in the other. “Talon, you need leather gloves when picking up the un-bobbed pups.”

“Now you tell me,” I said through gritted teeth. “Crap this hurts. Get him off me!”

Zylie quickly interceded and grabbed the little guy under his belly with one hand and grasping the end of his tail between the thumb and finger of her other.

She grimaced. “Do you want me to pull it out or 2-1B?”

“Get it out!”

“Okay, on three. One…” She never got to three but yanked the barb out immediately.

"Owww!" I pinched the punctured skin in an attempt to quell the bleeding. “Damn! I forgot those things have barbed tails.”

An apologetic smile crossed my wife’s face. “That’s why we bob their tails when they are little. It makes them safer to be around and it dampens down their aggression.” She looked at my hand. “How does it feel?”

I blew out a breath as I started to feel a little lightheaded. “I guess all this excitement has me feeling a little faint.”

Zylie grimaced. “That might be the poison working.”

“Poison! Oh, no, that's right." I don't know how I forgot about the barbed tails and that their stinger was poisonous. “Well, I guess it is good that he’s a baby. Probably not much poison in him.”

Zylie made a face. “Umm…not really. The venom of baby vornskr is much more concentrated than the adults.”

I looked at Zylie wide-eyed as my arm began to tingle and then eventually went numb. “Get 2-1B to give me the anti-venom.”

Zylie shook her head. “There's no antidote. You'll just have to ride it out.”

“Ride it out! Is this going to kill me?”

She rolled her eyes as she guided me to the ship's infirmary. “Do you really think I would look this calm if I thought I was about to become a widow? The venom is paralytic, but don’t worry it won’t affect your heart. Your voluntary muscles will get weak. You’ll be wobbly on your feet for a few hours.” She turned and gave me a contrite look. “Oh, you may not want to get far from the ‘fresher. It can cause loss of bowel control.”

“What!” I pointed to the vornskr pup Zylie held. “I am reconsidering feeding you.” I would have said more but I had to get to the ‘fresher before I lost all muscle control. “I’m naming him Kriffer!” I yelled back to my wife as I disappeared into the ‘fresher.

Entry 37

I stayed in the ‘fresher for about an hour. Eventually the feeling in my arm and hand returned and I no longer experienced an urgent need to sit on the toilet.

I exited the 'fresher to find my wife in the galley trying to feed the pup. The little vornskr was lying on a small hand towel on the dining table as Zylie sat in front of him trying to get him to take the bottle. I did notice the creature no longer had a tail. “You did surgery on him?”

“No, not surgery. I just clipped it off with some scissors.”

My face contorted in disbelief. “Owww! The poor little guy.”

Zylie chuckled. “You mean Kriffer. You know, the animal that punctured your skin and injected venom? Do you mean that poor little guy?”

I frowned. “You didn’t need to hurt him. He was just acting on instinct.”

Zylie sighed. “Talon, my father has been raising these animals all my life. The nerves in the tail aren’t fully formed until a few weeks after birth. He didn’t even make a squeak.”

I let out a relieved breath. “Good.”

Zylie smiled. “I knew vornskrs would grow on you. They are so cute when they are little.”

I begrudgingly had to admit that was true. “Vornskrs aren’t growing on me. It’s just…he’s a baby and a runt. It doesn’t seem right to let him die without trying to help him.”

“I think that is sweet, Talon.” She stood and held out the bottle to me. “Maybe you’ll have better luck with him.”

I took the bottle and slid into the seat in front of the baby. I tried to guide the bottle’s nipple into his mouth but he kept turning his head away. After about ten minutes of trying I decided to take a break. I found a small box and put in a few hand towels for the pup to sleep on and put it on the floor of my cabin.

I looked at my wounded hand and shook my head. The only good thing was my father, Ben and Valla were not here to watch my misadventure. I would never hear the end of it if they did.

Falcon likes this.
  20. Falcon

Feb 7, 2002
    Runts got a name, Kriffer [face_laugh]

great update

21. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Love the name. I hope Kriffer will drink and survive

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Woo, Talon is persistent but getting venomized :eek: was an unexpected hiccup! And the pup isn't taking to the milk. Zylie mentioned that as a high likelihood.

23. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks! I don't know how socially correct it would be calling the animal by that name in public.

Thanks. Talon is determined to show Zylie it can be done.

Some animals are like that. When I was in college one of my professors was famous for bringing a species of bird back from the brink of extinction by being the first person to breed the animal in captivity. He would hand feed the chicks because the captive mothers wouldn't. This was back when DDT was destroying bird populations.

It is going to get better for little Kriffer, but first it is going to get worse for Talon. :(

Entry 38

My father and the Indupar envoys are still negotiating with the Chief-of-State. Dad said Streke is trying to gain control of the crystals for next to nothing by offering Indupar protection from foreign invaders such as the Nagi. My father said he pointed out that they had no difficulty destroying the Nagi fleet and the boy King himself killed the enemy’s general.

“I told him he could think about the deal we proposed and I would get back to him after my travels to Hapes and then Bastille.” My father chuckled. “You should have seen him. His face turned bright red and he said, ‘Are you threatening to sell the crystals to the Hapan government or the Empire!’” My father grinned widely as he told his tale. “I told him I was planning to do no such thing. I simply want to visit my family. I reminded him my nephew is the Hapan Queen’s Consort and my niece is the Empress of the Imperial Remnant.”

“I’m sure that really eased his concerns,” I said sarcastically as my dad and I walked.

I met my dad for lunch and afterwards we decided to stroll through ‘Heroes Park’ a newly established outdoor shrine to honor the heroes of the Rebellion and subsequent conflicts. Dad wanted to see the Luke Skywalker statue that was erected. We’ve seen holos of the sculpture, but were told it is more impressive in person. My dad pointed to the towering granite statue at the center of the park. “There it is.”

I have to admit, it looks impressive. It had Uncle Luke in his Rebel flight uniform and holding an activated lightsaber. It was supposedly represented his actions on Hoth after his T-47 Airspeeder was shot down by Imperials and he attacked an Imperial Walker armed only with his lightsaber and blaster. The statue symbolized not only a Jedi, but a pilot and soldier.

My father gazed at the statue for a long moment before smiling widely. “Luke must hate this thing.”

“Why?” I asked. “It looks good.”

My dad gave me a knowing look. “Because he’s modest…and you know Mara has to tease him about the accompanying plaque.”

I glanced over to the plaque and grinned at the flowery praise. “Wow, that is an impressive write up.” I looked back to the statue. “Why did Streke approve such a Jedi-loving monument to be erected?”

My dad shrugged. “You really can’t have a Heroes Park honoring those who served in the Rebellion and omit Luke Skywalker, the man who blew up the Death Star.”

“That’s true.” We followed the walkway to a long granite wall engraved with the names of military units that served in the conflict and the men and women who exhibited exemplary service. We saw a lot of familiar names: Dodonna, Madine, Antilles, and Darklighter, to name a few.

When we got to The Battle of Byss I fully expected to see my father’s name there or at least Talon Karrde’s, after all, they killed the Emperor Reborn, but only Luke and Uncle Han were credited in the infiltration of Byss’ capital city and the Emperor’s Citadel. “You name should be on this plaque, dad.”

He shook his head. “When it happened Karrde asked that his entire crew remain anonymous. He didn’t want to irritate the Imperials just in case he needed to do cargo runs in their territory. It’s better this way.” He gave me a smile. “I wouldn’t want Luke’s life of celebrity.”

I sighed deeply. “You’re probably right. I just don’t think it is right that people in the future will never know what really happened.”

My father reached over and put a hand on my shoulder. “You are still journaling, right? If you make sure my grandchildren know the truth that would make me a happy man. I can care less if the galaxy forgot I existed…as long as I am remembered by my family.”

I nodded with a smile. “I’ll make sure they’ll remember.”

We continued along the ‘Tour of heroes’. Along the way my father would point out what secret conflicts were omitted. “They didn’t mention the battle against the Vong.” He chuckled. “I guess secretly destroying most of an entire invading species wouldn’t be good publicity.”

“Most? I remember you mentioning the invading Vong years ago, but I thought they were all destroyed by the Galaxy gun.”

“I did mistakenly tell you that.” He moved down to the next plague honoring the heroes that suppressed the Korfian Revolt. From what I remember from my history studies, it was an anti-New Republic uprising on the Planet Ithor that was thoroughly squashed by a regiment of NR military.

“I thought all the Vong were dead,” my father continued. “But when I was on my secret little jaunt with Deke I discovered there were prisoners taken and they were given a place to live in the Maw.”

“I guess they are in the Maw so the galaxy never discovers their existence?”

My dad nodded. “I don’t see Mara anywhere in this park. She worked for the New Republic and fought against Joruus C’boath.” He turned toward the imposing Skywalker statue at the center of the park. “Mara should have a statue there, next to Luke’s. It should say, ‘Mara Jade Skywalker—the woman who saved Luke Skywalker’s butt multiple times.” He turned back to the various statues and plagues. “I think its sexism.”

I rolled my eyes. I really didn’t want to get into this argument with my father again. He never liked the fact that the Imperial military and many military organizations within the New Republic and Galactic Alliance bar women from serving in frontline combat positions. It is much better now, but to date females are not allowed into Void Jumper units. My dad thinks it is an archaic belief and government approved sexism. I agree with him, but he can go on and on about what should be done. I decided to change the subject. “Dad, I have a question about our trip to Hapes and Bastion.”

“What?”

“Are we really going there to visit family? Or are you actually trying to convince Streke that you are looking for different buyers?” I stopped and thought about what I just said. “Dad, is Marcus considering selling to somebody other than the Galactic Alliance?”

My dad’s gave me a disarming grin. “No. We are going to sell the crystals to the Alliance, but we just want the best deal possible. I do have to admit visiting the family at this time does have the added bonus of putting a sense of urgency into Streke and some worry about my intentions. It’s just a big political game of sabbac.” He looked at his wristchrono. “I have to get back to the negotiations and don’t you have some Vornskr feeding to do?”

I slipped my injured hand into my pocket, hoping my dad didn’t see the bacta patch on it. I told dad we were trying to feed the runt, but I made sure not to tell him about my injury. Dad may be able to keep secrets, but he doesn’t seem to be so inclined when divulging a secret could embarrass me.

“Yeah, I better get back.” I gave my father a hug. “Give Streke hell, dad.”

“You know I will.”

Entry 39

This is day two of trying to bottle feed the runt and I am failing miserably. Half the time he is nipping at my fingertips. I am beginning to think that my blood is the only nourishment the pup is getting. Zylie put him with his mother but as soon as he finds a teat he is pushed away by his siblings. Zylie then tried to take the other pups away from their mother so the runt could nurse in peace, but Princess would have none of that. She got up and just paced around the cargo area looking for her other pups, leaving the runt shivering.

I picked up the pup and turned to Zylie. “Why is the pup shaking so much? Is he scared?”

She looked up to me sadly as we left the cargo area and entered our cabin. “Pups get most of their body heat from their mother. He’s not old enough to self-regulate his body temperature. “

I looked at the tiny shivering pup and frowned. “Do we have a heating pad or something to warm him?”

She shook her head. “I don’t think so. Maybe I can put some towels in the drier to warm them up. It probably won’t be enough though.” She put her hand on my shoulder. “I’m sorry Talon. I know you want to save him.”

“Thanks.” I sighed heavily. “I don’t want to give up on him.”

She grinned impishly. “You’re taken by this little guy, aren’t you?”

I didn’t want to admit I had any affection for the species, but his pup was different. “Zylie, look at him. He fits in my palm, he has a slight stripped pattern and look at those pretty pink eyes…unlike those evil red demon eyes Princess has.”

Zylie gave a chuckle. “All pups have pinkish or blue eyes when they are born because they are still developing eye pigment. In a few months this pup will have blood red eyes.”

“Oh.” I held the little guy against my tunic to warm him up. “Can you get those towels? He is really trembling.”

“Sure.”

When Zylie left the room I got an idea. I put the pup on my bed and stripped out of my tunic. I then laid down in the bed and placed him on my bare chest as I brought my hands up to pet him. To my surprise the little guy stopped shaking so much and actually seemed less stressed. He moved around on my chest until he got to the small patch of chest hair growing between my pectoral muscles.

The baby vornskr was rubbing his head on the patch of hair and then started what I would call ‘pittin pushups’. That is where a pittin will push his paws against your skin in a rhythmic motion. Seeing him so relaxed was encouraging. I stretched out with the Force and sent him soothing thoughts as I brought the bottle up to his mouth. I suppressed a shout of triumph when he finally took the bottle and sucked on it greedily. He kept drinking until Zylie came into the room and startled him. He pulled away from the bottle as his fur raised up on the back of his neck. “It’s okay little guy,” I said as I pet him on the head and turned to Zylie with a big scat-eating grin on my face. “Look who got a vornskr to bottle feed.” I held up the bottle to prove to her he drank half the milk. “I told you I could do it.”

I relished in my victory for about five more seconds before that little kriff’n vornskr decided to feed again and since the bottle was out of his reach he latched onto the only other thing that looked like it would provide nourishment. I screamed as the pup’s razor-sharp teeth bit into the most sensitive area of my chest.

“Oh frak’n kriff!” I sat up only to realize that runt was still firmly attached to my chest.

Zylie ran up to me and grasped the little beast. “Lay down, Talon,” she said in a tone of voice that I would best describe as amused panic. “I’ll try to get him off you.”

She grabbed the top of his skull and his lower jaw and tried to gently pry his jaws off. “Be careful! You’re going to pull off part of my chest.”

Zylie blew out a frustrated breath. “I don’t want to break his jaw.”

“Well I don’t want him to bite off my man nipple.” I yelled again as the pain increased. “Kriff! I think it’s trying to chew it off!”

“Talon do that Force trick you used on Princess when she attacked you.”

I nodded my head. “Good thinking.” I placed my hand on the small pup and tried to project smoothing thoughts. “Go to sleep little guy. Please, please for the love of the Force, please go to sleep.” I was relieved when his eyes closed and his jaw relaxed.

Zylie pulled the little guy off me and grimaced at the sight of blood. She turned away not wanting to look. “You better get 2-1B to patch you up.”

I sat up and pressing my hand against my bleeding chest. “How bad is it? I don’t want to look. You know I hate seeing my own blood.”

“Go to the medical droid,” Zylie insisted. The fact that she avoided answering the question made me really nervous.

“Just tell me if everything is there.”

I saw her nod her head. “Everything is there, but just not where it should be.”

I got out of bed and quickly moved to the infirmary. I know I am not a fan of droids, but I’m now really glad we have 2-1B.

Before I left the cabin I turned and grinned at Zylie. “I did get him to eat. So, it’s not impossible.”

She gave me a teasing smile. “Good for you, but the next time you decide to nurse a Vornskr maybe you should wear my bra.”

Entry 40

Ha! I figured out how to hand feed that little kriffer! It involves, body heat, hair, a bottle and protective bacta patches over my nipples! I discovered if he was lying in my chest hair and I put the bottle in his mouth he would actually eat. All I have to do is prevent him from biting me in such a sensitive location. Bacta patches work. I tried high adhesive tape at first for my non-injured side of my chest but then discovered pulling it off hurt almost as bad as being bit. So bacta patches are on both sides now.

I did realize that I should lock the door when feeding my runt vornskr. Zylie walked in on me feeding him in this manner and just about died laughing. She nicked named me Mama Vornskr.

I gave her a forced smile. “You are just jealous that I am the first person who discovered how to hand feed these little monsters.”

She sat down at the edge of the bed and gazed down at me lovingly. “You are so cute.” She jumped up and rummaged though the bed nightstand before pulling out an imager. “I need to take a vid of this.”

I put up my hand in an attempt to block the lens. “No Zylie. If Ben ever finds out about this or my little mishap earlier he’ll never let me live it down.”

She pouted a bit, but when I didn’t cave, she put away the imager. “You’re no fun.”

“Just don’t tell your sister or Ben what happened.” I gazed at her beseechingly. “Please.”

She leaned forward and gave me a quick kiss on the lips. “I promise. I won’t tell anybody.”

She moved across the room to the closet and started browsing through her outfits. “Ben called and said we’re invited to dinner with the Skywalker’s tonight. You may want to finish up your feeding with the runt because Ben is coming to the ship to pick up some clothing before returning to his parents’ quarters. You don’t want him to catch you in such a compromising position.”

“Thanks for the warning.” When Zylie left to shower I looked at the teeny vornskr on my chest eagerly sucking away on a milk bottle. He was making some strange rumbling sound interspersed with tiny mews. “You are a hungry little boy,” I whispered to him. “Yes you are.” I stopped and realized to my horror that I just talked to the vornskr in that insipid singsong voice people use when talking to their pet pittins. “Ack! I can’t believe I just talked baby talk to a vornskr.”

I guess Zylie is right. I am getting a soft spot for the little guy.

Falcon and Nyota's Heart like this.
  24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Entry #38 - enjoyed the talk between Talon and his dad. Cool tribute to Luke there. :)

Entries #39-40 - [face_rofl] [face_rofl] Oh that vid would go viral in under a minute good thing Talon talked Zylie out of taking a pic. [face_mischief]

25. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks for reading and taking the time to review. I really appreciate it.

Entry 41

My father, Zylie and I went to the Skywalker’s quarters at the temple for dinner tonight. Ben and Valla were already there, so it was a big family reunion of sorts.

It was an interesting meal.

We had our appetizers and then their protocol droid brought out dinner. It was a stuffed game hen with an assortment of side plates. It was delicious and I was having a great time until I realized my aunt kept looking over to me and suppressing a grin. Eventually I couldn’t keep my curiosity in check. “What’s so funny Aunt Mara?”

I could tell she was trying really hard to maintain her composure. “Nothing.”

I took a sip of my drink waiting for her to finally admit that nothing was really something. Unfortunately she fessed up when my mouth was full of fizzed berry juice. “I heard you got hurt breastfeeding a vornskr.”

I choked on my drink forcing carbonated juice up and out my nose. I grabbed my napkin and wiped off my face before turning to glare at my wife. “You promised not to tell.”

I could feel surprise rolling off of Zylie through the Force. “I didn’t tell anyone, Talon.”

“You are the only one that knew!” I shot back.

At this point Ben started laughing. “That’s not exactly true.”

“What do you mean?” I looked around the table and realized everybody was desperately trying to suppress laughter. “You all know!” I turned back to Ben. “Who told you guys?”

Ben grinned. “2-1B told me.”

My jaw clenched as my dislike for droids was renewed. “Why would 2-1B volunteer up that information?”

Ben leaned back in his chair as a broad grin spit his face. “What happened was I went to the ship to pick up some dinner outfits for me and Valla and while there I used the ‘fresher and noticed bloody bacta patches in the waste bin. I went over to the medical droid and asked him what had happened. That’s when he told me about you getting speared by a baby vornskr tail and then how the runt bit off your nipple when you were trying to feed him.”

At that point everybody at the table lost complete control and started laughing hysterically. My face turned bright red as I regarded my cousin. “That doesn’t mean you have to tell everybody.”

The obvious anger boiling up in me prompted Ben to try to explain his actions. He put his hands up in a conciliatory gesture. “I didn’t tell everybody, just Valla...at least at first. When I got back to my parents’ quarters she knew I was hiding something.” He gave me a beseeching look. “You know you can’t keep secrets from Karrde women.” He blew out a nervous breath before he continued. “Anyway, I told Valla and that got her laughing so hysterically she had to run to the ‘fresher before she peed her pants. Mom comes down the hall and hears Valla in the ‘fresher gasping for breath because she is hyperventilating and mistakes it for vomiting. Because she can sense joyful hilarity coming from us through the force she assumes if you feel happy about vomiting it means Valla is pregnant. So she gets all giddy and that brings my father running and wondering what is going on. I had to explain to them that Valla was not pregnant.” He took a deep breath before continuing. “This upset my parents and they looked depressed, so I wanted to cheer them up, so I told them what happened.”

I looked over to my father who was biting his bottom lip in an attempt to not laugh. “So how did my father find out.”

My dad chuckled. “I can explain that. You know I have a Force connection to Luke and Mara. Well, I was in negotiations with Streke when I felt a disturbance in the Force. I knew something was up with the Skywalkers, but I couldn’t get ahold of them on the comlink. So I contacted your brother Jaden and ask him to go down the Skywalker’s quarters and find out what was going on. Which he did and reported the situation back to me.”

I stared at him wide-eyed and slack jawed. “Are you telling me my entire family knows I got bit by a vornskr pup?”

My father was shaking as he tried to suppress his amusement. “Pretty much.”

“I’m glad you guys are having so much fun at my expense,” I said bitingly. “As soon as he is weaned Kriffer is gone.”

“Watch your language at the table,” my aunt chastised me.

“That is the name Talon gave the pup,” Zylie explained.

My uncle took a sip of his drink. “That’s a horrible name.”

Valla nodded in agreement. “We should find an appropriate name for the pup.”

“How about The Nipple Slayer?” Ben suggested.

I shook my head in disgust. “Not funny, guys.”

“No,” my aunt interjected. “I say we go with the nipple terminator…wait, wait, I got it: the nipplator.”

“Oh I got a better one,” my father said enthusiastically. “Darth Nipple, dark ruler of the Areola.”

I balled up my napkin and tossed it on the table as I stood. “Why do I always get the brunt of your teasing?”

Mara stood and motioned for me to sit. “Sorry Talon. You just make it so easy sometimes. We tease you because we love you. Don’t you know that?”

My eyes narrowed. “You also tease about Mokk Streke. Does that mean you love him also?”

My aunt took her seat and gave a look of disgust. “I don’t tease him to his face. So no. If I tease you to your face, then I like you. If I do it behind your back, I dislike you.”

“You must really love Talon,” Ben remarked with a chuckle.

I sat back down but continued to glower at my family. “Why don’t we change the subject.” I turned to Ben. “Hey, how is that grandkid making process going?”

Ben’s eyes narrowed as his jaw tightened. “You know I hate it when you do that.”

Mara wiped her lips with her napkin and gave her son a furtive look. “If you and Valla gave me a grandchild then he wouldn’t be able to use that ploy.” Mara turned to Mark. “When are you going to start nagging Talon to give you a grandchild?”

My father chuckled. “One’s enough for now.”

A spike of fear shot through my spine, thinking dad just revealed Marcus’ existence, but then I realized he was talking about Jessa.

“Yes, you have your granddaughter,” Mara agreed. “But don’t you want a grandchild from Talon and Zylie?”

My dad turned to us. “Yes I would very much like a grandchild from you two.”

“I think we discussed that subject enough,” I muttered before addressing my father. “How much longer will discussions go with Streke?”

My dad gestured that he didn’t know. “My role in the negotiations is over. I will let the delegation continue the talks until a resolution occurs. I made it quite clear that I was going to Hapes to see my nephew. I am sure Streke will see this as me going to negotiate with the Hapan government about the sale of the crystals. Maybe that false pretense will encourage him to make a decision.”

“When do we leave?” Valla asked.

“As soon as you’re ready.”

I looked to my wife and then Ben and Valla. “I’m ready when you are.”