main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wash, DC Ep. VII Campout at the Uptown in DC?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by castertvs, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. castertvs

castertvs Jedi Master

Feb 24, 2002
    I camped out for Episodes I-III at the Uptown in NW DC and had a blast each time. Let's get the discussion going for a camp-out this December. Anyone from the previous camp-outs still around? I'd love to help coordinate this event.

dolphin likes this.
  2. Orwick

Orwick Jedi Knight star 1

May 13, 2014
    Hi Castertvs, interested in trying out a different location? I'm planning an event at the Alamo Drafthouse in Ashburn, VA. See more details here: http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...emiere-alamo-drafthouse-one-loudoun.50024851/. While there won't technically be a need to camp out with reserved ticket/seats, it still would be fun to get that atmosphere going. If you're interested, I can talk to my contact at the Alamo to see if they are willing to allow camping outside the theater before the premiere.

3. castertvs

castertvs Jedi Master

Feb 24, 2002
    Hi Orwick - it sounds like your event is going to be amazing. If nothing materializes with the Uptown, you can count me in. It might be too cold to do a proper "camp out" at the Uptown, but for so many of us, seeing Star Wars movies at the Uptown is a cherished tradition. I camped out for all three prequels there. I don't know if the Uptown will be up for another event (I heard the management is changing) or will even be getting the new movie (though it probably will), but I've got to at least try to keep the tradition alive.

4. Orwick

Orwick Jedi Knight star 1

May 13, 2014
    castertvs I understand! Camping out is an important tradition. Let me know if things don't work out and I'll see if the Alamo is willing to host a line (even if there are reserved seats)...it would be more like a block party.

5. Darth Argel

Darth Argel Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2015
    castertvs, I'm not stopping you or anyone from camping out on any venue. In fact, that is one of the best experience I have ever done back then. But with fandango and other online ticketing, the camp out on any movie theater or even on concert events to get tickets as soon as it's on sale has gone the way of the dinosaur. But, don't get me wrong, today's generation should still do camp outs to be with other die hards. It's always fun to be with other people who have the same interest. The difference between then when I camped out for episode 2 and 3 and now is, the 201st person on the back (who came in an hour before the show) has as much chance to get a ticket for the first 7pm showing as the 1st guy who camped out a day and a half ago because of online ticket purchasing from your smart phone. I believe just about every seats are assigned now adays. I can't just go thru the fire exits anymore (because the tickets sold out) to sit somewhere like I did for episode 2. Ahh the good old days!!!

6. castertvs

castertvs Jedi Master

Feb 24, 2002
    Sure, but... that's not why we camped out. "You can just buy your ticket online" was a common refrain back during the prequel campouts, but since the Uptown doesn't reserve seats, we were jockeying for the best seats in the house. But more importantly, we gathered at the Uptown to celebrate the movies as a group of devoted fans. We hung out, played games, talked movies, etc. - it was an experience and a celebration! I want to line up for Episode 7 to continue that tradition.

7. Darth Argel

Darth Argel Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2015
    castertvs, I hear you. I myself will be going to the Alamo Drafthouse, and because of work, chances are I won't be able to camp out like I did a decade ago. But I will get to the theater as early during the day as possible just to meet and greet with fellow fans. I salute you for continuing the tradition.

8. castertvs

castertvs Jedi Master

Feb 24, 2002
    Anyone out there planning on lining up at the Uptown?

Anyone know if the Uptown is even getting Ep 7? I assume they will, but confirmation would be nice. Maybe I'll call over there soon.

9. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I took off of work December 17th. I might meet you up there. Everyone kiss the wife, the dog and cat goodbye. Good riddance until December 19th after 5 or 6 viewings.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. castertvs

castertvs Jedi Master

Feb 24, 2002
    So far, no tickets on sale for the night of the 17th. I can see tickets for the next morning. I'm gonna call over there tomorrow and see if we can get a showing on the 17th.

11. castertvs

castertvs Jedi Master

Feb 24, 2002
    Tickets for Thursday night at the Uptown are now on sale! If you already bought tickets last night using Fandago (like I did), you can get a refund online (or apply a credit to this purchase). So excited to continue the tradition of camping out at the Uptown!

12. castertvs

castertvs Jedi Master

Feb 24, 2002
    Quick update: the campout is ON!!! I've spoken to a few fans from previous campouts and there's growing momentum to continue the tradition next month. Even if you already got tickets, please feel free to come on out early and join us in a celebration of the next generation of Star Wars films! My group will be there a day or two early.

13. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    It's only 3D at uptown (except at noontime).

I'll be at the Udvar Hazy theater Thursday night.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  14. castertvs

castertvs Jedi Master

Feb 24, 2002
    We've had a few campers join the line starting on Friday but I encourage everyone out there to at least stop by and hang out for a bit! The weather's been great. I hope to join the line full-time soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.