main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social So, how spoiler free will you be?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Legacy Jedi Endordude, Aug 15, 2013.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah it's incredibly annoying how I, personally, can forget people's names but some freakin' spoiler I read over a year ago is burned into my brain. What can I say, Star Wars >>>> human interaction.

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I can relate.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I advise anyone not to go to the movies to see anything else at this point. My theater had an image on a large popcorn bag, which was an image I've already glimpsed from when the first teaser came out--Was that a year ago? Has it been that long? I went to see Mockingjay Part 2, and while I was told there wasn't a trailer attached, there were commercials to avoid. As I approached the theater, I heard familiar music playing during the ScreenVision stuff before the showtime, but I don't know exactly what it was. Then as I sat there a commercial for a phone or something popped up with a blank white screen and something like "and now a message from a galaxy far, far away." I shut my eyes, got up and walked out (opening my eyes to see the way of course), not hearing anything but familiar music and not-so-familiar droid sounds as I walked out to just outside the door. I hoped they weren't going to repeat that or show any other commercials during the commercials after the showtime. Unfortunately I had to get spoiled on Joy though. I forgot to take earphones.

4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I had a similar experience today, literally this was one of the few times where I was there for a movie early and the pre-game show had a Star Wars bit, it opened up with a clip from trailer 3 (which I actually knew about because image memes) so did a quickie close eyes, ear plug (quite frankly, I've seen this bit from the trailer posted as images so damn much I probably should have just watched it, however, I was thinking it would lead into more clips and I was kinda right), but then they went into a PR piece just talking to the actors on a red carpet (but interspersed with clips from trailer 3 however the audio was just the actors / director talking) so I listened to that and I sorta kept my head down (I had a hat on so basically I could sorta see from the bottom of the brim of my hat so I guess I "spoiled" seeing the bottom edge of the frames, ahahhaa). Close call!

But, yeah, if going to movies and you don't mind seeing images on posters or colectable cups, just roll in about 5 or almost 10 min late from the start time, generally doing that I catch, like, 1 trailer before the movie and the odds of it being Star Wars at that point kind of dwindle if 3 trailers have already played before that.

5. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    I saw a commercial during Sunday Night Football yesterday. Not much new but 1 thing in particular that I won't even type with a spoiler warning.

Am I upset that I saw it?

Truth?
    It was AWESOME!
    I didn't expect it at all but love the implications of it and can totally see how it might have arisen directly from RotS.

File this under "Spoiler Slippery Slope" -- I want more!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Interesting! Too interesting!

Will. Not. Watch.
    Only. Sixteen. More. Days.
    I. Need. A. Drink.

:p

episodenone likes this.
  7. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    And that's where I stopped reading. It is good to know there are things that are making people happy and intrigued.

episodenone likes this.
  8. Lazy K

Lazy K Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    My Internet connection has been buggy lately, thus making it really difficult to surf. I suspect the God of Spoiler Avoidance is trying to tell me something. :p

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    With just a little over two weeks to go, I'll be staying off all other sections of the forums until after I've seen the movie. There have been a little too many untagged spoilers or almost-spoilers in the other sections lately.

I'm happy to say that I still don't know what the film is about really.
    And not knowing the story, or who the characters really are, brings warm feelings to my heart. :yoda:

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  10. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
    I'd already seen the latest tv spot. It kind of spoils for a second a scene in the main trailer. So
    those of you avoiding tv spots and trailers are correct to do so. I used to read early reviews on
    rottentomatoes.com ; now I know better because a few of them spoil pretentiously. I will just glance
    at the overall rating % and hope it will be above 90%. I will be disappointed if it's just 83% or so or less.
    I don't want just another tie with ROTS or ROTJ. It needs to be better to wash out the prequel fails
    memories.

Also stay away from the listing of the music score theme titles. While they don't repeat the debacle
    of TPM's CD titles, just looking at the titles was enough to spoil generally where the plot locations move.
    May you all reach the movie unspoiled as you wish.

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    We're almost there, guys. :D

12. DV-213

DV-213 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 18, 2014
    What would be the worst? You reading about all leaks/rumors since years and by that see the movie somewhat spoiled (but with the fun of speculating ahead) or if avoiding everything (like me) and someone would more or less by accident tell you the major plot the day before the premier? :)

13. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Agreed! And a great point!

Pour me one... I get giddy even when I see that commercial for x-mas and they COMPLETELY STEAL the beginning beats of the SW Theme and then cut from it to Santa. Nothing SW related even for sale. [i'll try and remember who the commercial is for next time i see it]

A nifty trick -- but I'd bet close enough that Disney could absolutely put the kibosh on it if they chose to.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  14. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    I’ll be seeing it on opening night, and I’ve done a pretty good job of avoiding any websites and whatnot that contain spoilers. Aside from my own personal speculation and having seen the trailers, I literally know nothing about the film’s plot.

15. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    I hope I know nothing about the plot. A couple of months ago someone posted what he thought could have been an alternative title based on what he knew or speculated or nothing and just using that as an example. Still, it was an error on that person's judgment to post that here and it was removed. Even without that, I have no idea what roles characters are playing, what has been happening before the movie, etcetera. I don't know planets, spaceships other than maybe three but not why they are involved, and one line of dialogue from a trailer that someone put on an image with Lego versions of characters thanks to people feeling compelled to post random stuff blindly to an audience of followers.
    At this point I'm aiming for the first 2D showing on December 18...unless Lucasfilm and Disney were to say "hey, you can stream it from Amazon for $20 after opening day!"

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  16. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Hear me out here (no spoilers, I promise!). I've seen four trailers, seen the posters, read a couple of articles (months ago, not the recent ones). I remember the post you're talking about (the one with the "alternate title"). But I still don't know what the plot of the film is, and I have no idea if what he/she said plays into the film. Maybe it does, but seriously - I'm pretty sure that wasn't a spoiler as much as it was pure speculation based on little to no evidence.
    In short: I wouldn't worry about it! [face_peace]

And as always, I wish you good luck in remaining spoiler-free. I envy your resolve!

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Decided to chance reading another TFA article in my Ent Weekly issue, at the back, it was about two of the new leads. Thought it would just be about the casting but spilled some details about the characters as well. Stuff I kinda sorta already knew anyway but it's there. Dunno if that's a sign of weakness or just stumbling across an article that I shoulda known better, dagnabit.

Not reading the TFA music tracklisting. Not happening.

Also in the freakin' community section of TFN in a freakin' thread about Game of Thrones someone was dropping TFA spoilers. That's just being a jerk if you ask me.

18. Bobatron

Sep 3, 2012
    I seriously think the universe is trying to destroy my eyes so I can't see this movie. Today I walked into the end of barb wire hanging from a fence that would have poked me in the eye had I not been wearing safety glasses. A few weeks ago I woke up with a pain in my eye from something getting in it that just would not come out, and at the time I was thinking something bit it or scratched it and it was permanently damaged. It wouldn't wash out or anything and I finally managed to go to sleep and the pain stopped but my vision was off (from the irritation and swelling, I was told by the doctor). That went away but it was scary. Last year a bug flew into my eye after I got out of the car and earlier this year I knocked myself in the eye with the corner of the comforter.

19. Gus X

Gus X Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 24, 2014
    I went to see "Creed" this past weekend. I made sure my cell phone was fully charged (I got there 45 minutes early) and blasted my Christmas playlist all the way up until the movie credits began. I had to keep my eyes closed at some points but it seemed to work out. In addition, people talk around you and they often give away spoilers. The best bet is to just keep music playing in your headset.

20. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    This is my first time posting in this subforum! :)

I've been over on the 'spoilers allowed' sub-forum all this time and must confess I'm thoroughly spoiled. Many of the conversations have become, to my mind, somewhat circular over there as every little titbit is chewed over so I fancied posting in here for a wee while.

I'm actually pretty impressed at the lengths some of you have gone to to remain unspoiled. That's dedication! =D=

EHT likes this.
  21. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I've been open to all spoilers, leaks, descriptions, teasers, trailers and tv ads. I even read the whole soundtrack tracklist. It was fun until today.

Today I saw news about a scene by scene description of the whole movie. That is too much for me. It was fun: speculating, connecting dots, discovering new pieces of the movie, discussing new stuff with friends, but everything has it's limits...

It's going to be really difficult 2 weeks (holy ****, it sounds surreal) for me, a regular /r/StarWarsLeaks reader and all-possible-SW-news-sources stalker. I hope you guys will help me survive this time :)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Gus X

Gus X Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 24, 2014
    I had ROJ, TPM and AOTC all spoiled to me by people who just did not care whether or not I wanted to listen. One person here on TheForce.Net spoiled the ending of TPM in a HUGE way which was one of the reasons they developed these non spoilers rooms. Those who were around n those days know EXACTLY the troll post that I am talking about.

For once, I would like to be surprised to seeing a Star Wars film. I remember the joy of watching ESB in the theater back with my brother and sister in the summer of 83. I would like to return back to that as much as humanly possible. In today's age, to do this, you have to be hard core.

23. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000

Ouch! Glad you're ok!

I know what you mean. I think part of the reason why I have the worst sprained wrist ever is to prevent me from driving and accidentally seeing/hearing TFA spoilers.

I was on my way home from hand therapy the other day (got a ride from a friend), and I needed to stop at Walmart. Which is becoming a real minefield of potential spoiler material. Luckily, my friend and I both feel the same way about spoilers. And we kinda made a game of avoiding the danger zones....joking that it was like avoiding TIE fighters (aka TFA spoilers) while flying through the second Death Star.

24. Gus X

Gus X Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 24, 2014
    Same with me as well

25. Wally44

Wally44 Jedi Master star 2

Mar 10, 2005
    I love how more people will be coming over here to avoid the dark side. :) You are all welcome. Let's enjoy these last two weeks!