main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Simon Pegg's Recent Comments

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Bradius, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeventySeven

SeventySeven Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    I'm glad his role was minimal anyway...

“I will say this in terms of Simon: while he won’t be recognizable in the movie, in all honesty, his role in this – not the performance or the character – but his support and friendship has been massively important and helpful in the process,” Abrams says, shifting from deadpan to sincere. “He was a wonderful partner in crime to kick the story around and ask questions and come up with ideas, and he was an incredibly helpful part of the process for all of us. I’m very grateful.”
    But that’s new. It turns out Pegg was a part of the brain trust shaping these new stories.
    “He was a sounding board,” Abrams says. “He would drop by the set because he wanted to, and when he could, he would help… We could talk about things, and he was a perfect combination of incredibly smart screenwriter, fan of the series, critical fan of the series, and friend of mine – but not just blindly supportive. He was an honest, critical friend. And he wasn’t so close to it that he became immune to things. He would come in with fresh eyes and very smart ideas. He’s one of a handful of people along the way that has been really priceless.” (Pegg is shooting a movie at the moment and was not available for comment when contacted by EW.)

Colwyn Ren likes this.
  2. Colwyn Ren

Colwyn Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015

You don't like his opinion, so anything else he does is illegitimate? You've got an uphill battle if you only want people who love the PT to work on SW movies.

3. SeventySeven

Jul 18, 2002
    I rather people that do not insult publicly it's fanbase to work on SW movies - regardless of what they think about any aspect of the franchise, the PT, the EU, the Cartoons anything.

Why would you do that? You wouldn't employ somebody to work on something for the Cartoon Network who said "I can't respect the kids who watch this cr@p." would you ?

Saga Explorer and Valairy Scot like this.
  4. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I certainly wouldn't hire someone who not only insults all those who worked on project, but also insults the fan of said project. Pegg just keeps on getting rewarded for his bad behavior and that's what disappoints me.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  5. Colwyn Ren

Sep 16, 2015

*shrug* Are they talented?

6. Mr. Forest

Nov 1, 2012
    Have they added anything worthwhile to Star Wars? In Pegg's case, he played Dengar on the TCW but anyone could have done what he did, especially a better voice actor.

7. Colwyn Ren

Sep 16, 2015

...And, according to Abrams, was part of the brain trust that made TFA what it is... ( http://www.slashfilm.com/simon-pegg-star-wars/ )

8. Mr. Forest

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah, and that only serves to make me think TFA will not be as good as it could have been.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  9. Colwyn Ren

Sep 16, 2015

Why?

10. SeventySeven

Jul 18, 2002
    As said many times - I like some of his work, I have right royally laughed my a$$ off at some of it.

The world is full of talented people, so many you need something to differentiate them, let's say at an interview. Personally I wouldn't be kean on someone who had a record of being that disrespectful on social media or whatever, obviously and especially if it involved the company you were seeking a position for.

Unless of course they were indispensable - even then it would be a test of conscience.

That's just me, There are enough talented people out there to easily have niceness as a criterion and not be at any disadvantage.

11. Mr. Forest

Nov 1, 2012
    Because I don't think Pegg is right for Star Wars, just like he isn't right for Star Trek.

12. Colwyn Ren

Sep 16, 2015
    Ah, it's an opinion. So, are you going to see it anyway?

13. Mr. Forest

Nov 1, 2012
    Yes. I've said it before, Pegg won't stop me from seeing a movie I want to see. I still have my reservations about it, especially in the case of Pegg being one of Abram's consultants. I'd rather not have an irrational man-child working on the new Star Wars.

14. Colwyn Ren

Sep 16, 2015
    Good for you, not being irrational about it. :)

15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Never said that. There's a difference between not liking the PT and being a bully about it, which is what Pegg is.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  16. Colwyn Ren

Sep 16, 2015
    Who is he bullying?

17. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    George Lucas, me, many others.

18. Colwyn Ren

Sep 16, 2015
    This definition? "use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants."

19. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I think you know what I'm getting at... :)

20. Mr. Forest

Nov 1, 2012
    I'd probably categorize Pegg under "uses influence to intimidate others to force them to do what he wants." He has that "if you're not with me, then you're against me" mentality when it comes to Star Trek and Star Wars.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  21. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

Are you saying he's Anakin Skywalker and he doesn't know it? ;)

22. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    Personally, I don't care who works on TFA, as long as they contribute to make it a great film. Harrison Ford never spoke very highly of the OT, other than being grateful for the opportunities it afforded him. Alec Guiness reportedly hated the films, and threw away all Star Wars related fan mail, but the OT wouldn't be the same without him. So, Simon Pegg can insult anyone he likes, as long as TFA is good, else there'll be hell to pay...

TX-20 and Colwyn Ren like this.
  23. Colwyn Ren

Sep 16, 2015
    Look, we both know that you are simply trying to be right, which means you have to double down no matter how ridiculous it sounds. I think we both know that being insulting is not the same as being a bully.

24. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    If someone dared admitting to liking the PT to his face, I would not be at all surprised if Pegg's insults did turn to bullying. I think he'd come across as does Howard Stern, who I refuse to watch.

As for Alec Guinness, I don't know that he hated SW as much as he was rather indifferent to it - UNTIL it became the only thing it (appeared) he was known for AND he ran into the ultra fanaticism that was some fans (his telling the kid to not watch the movie anymore when the kid said something like he'd watched it 35 times).

25. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    As someone who was bullied a little bit growing up, I can tell you that I was verbally bullied. And that hurt a hell of a lot more than a fist to the face would. Just because Pegg or the like aren't physically pushing someone around doesn't mean that it isn't bullying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.