main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jason Fry Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 4, 2012.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Finally, making some sense of the YTs as freight haulers! Works really nicely with the oversized drives and the side cockpits -- good idea!

2. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    That ship's design has been waiting for precisely this since... 1975 or something. Great job putting the tug concept into the book. =D=

3. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014
    Now that's a good idea! I always wondered why the cockpit was on the side, but then that clearly because the front 'bit' (never used in the films) is important for its role as a workhorse ship. So presumably you could put on different modules depending on the role, like a laser drill (does Star Wars have laser drills?) for mining, or scientific equipment for going into space anomalies, etc?
    Kind of reminds me of those modular cargo ship types from the X-wing/TIE fighter games.

MercenaryAce and darthosaka like this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Millennium Falcon Owners Workshop Manual had lots of YT-1300 variants with different modules - some of which removed the side cockpit and made the centre area something different from on the Falcon.

darthosaka likes this.
  5. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    That's oddly adorable, it's like the The Little Engine That Could.

I wan't to see this image canonized almost as much as Leia's Sledgehammer. Almost. ;)

ifleninwasawizard and Eyrezer like this.
  6. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    jasonfry Is that cargo container design an intentional homage to the X-Wing series' Class-F, or just serendipity? (Cool either way!)

[​IMG]

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm just going to imagine that you memorized all the cargo container types and you're just thrilled right now :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

8. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Shapes yes, names no.

EDIT: Also, yes, I may have squeed at seeing this. A bit.

TheRedBlade and Eyrezer like this.
  9. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Cool!

(Though personally it never bugged me before. There are bigger ships for when you need to move stuff in bulk, and sometimes you just need something fast to deliver a small but valuable cargo.)

darthosaka likes this.
  10. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I have a question for Jason that was brought up in a discussion elsewhere.

In the online updates for the Essential Atlas(quite some time back) the decision was made to retcon Korriban and replace it with Moraband due to TCW. Would it not be in the best interests of all to maybe include "Korriban" in parentheses beside Moraband(and perhaps vice versa) just to avoid confusion for new people picking up and enjoying the many books, comics and video games that identify to world as Korriban on their narrative?

Tzizvvt78, spicer and darthosaka like this.
  11. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012

Looks great indeed! Correct me if I'm wrong: you didn't get to include this illustration in the book, but there is a note mentioning it, right?

Cracian_Thumper likes this.
  12. Cracian_Thumper

Cracian_Thumper Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2015
  13. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    I just saw the Lego Star Wars Visual Dictionary in a store yesterday and I flipped through a few pages before I left. I didn't get a good enough look at it, but does the book have information on every single Lego Star Wars set (that had been released by the time the book was published of course)?

Do you have a large collection of Star Wars Legos, jasonfry? Did you get to play with a lot of Legos in preparation for writing that book? That sounds like my dream job. Haha.

If Legos weren't like the most expensive toy on Earth I'd have a massive collection of Star Wars ones, because I love them to death. Most of my Lego Star Wars sets and minifigures have gone missing over the years. It makes me sad, because I had some of the originals from the first wave of releases. My favorite set I had was the first B-wing set with the rebel control center. I've lost too many of the pieces to build it back up. The remains of it are now sitting in my family's massive Lego bin.

14. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I have a question regarding Weapon of a Jedi, I read it and really liked it. I thought it really captured Luke's early journey. That being said, HTTJ is set in the same time period, would you say it adds to this or isn't necessary?

15. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    No. No, it would not.

16. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Moraband, Korriban, Horuset, Sith, Sith Funeral Home, Planet Full of Tombs, Planet that Needed to be Bombarded to Death and Uninhabitability after Palpatine' death so as to prevent the rise of the idiots of the One Sith. Who cares what its named?!

darklordoftech likes this.
  17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    You forgot Pesegam.

Epic failure, ShanOffirin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darklordoftech and darthosaka like this.
  18. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I didn't play KOTOR so I admit my mistake on that :) Sinrebirth

But seriously, I always thought that the Sith Worlds were uninhabitable after the New Sith Wars ended and hoped it stayed that way. Then Legacy decided to go no.

darklordoftech likes this.
  19. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Most fans would know Korriban more than Moraband, tbh. I've been to many sites and whenever Korriban's come up, people remember that name before "Moraband". Putting it in parenthesis would be better, since Jason already did it for several other entries.

darthosaka and Robimus like this.
  20. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    jasonfry

Per your request, I am pinging you post-holidays regarding the armaments on the Resurgent-class Star Destroyer. Enquiring minds want to know. :p

--Adm. Nick

21. AzureOwl

AzureOwl Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015
    I was just watching the Cinema Sins episode devoted to ANH, and I realized that the Millennium Falcon being a freight pusher solves one of the things they were complaining about.

https://youtu.be/l6sdpH5N1c0?t=12m3s

Namely, about the incident that got Han in trouble with Jabba in the first place. They wonder why, if the Millennium Falcon has hidden smuggling compartments that can fool military grade Imperial sensors (like they did when they all hid when the ship was brought aboard the Death Star) did Han ever feel the need to jettison his cargo when he thought he was going to get boarded?

Well, if that particular cargo wasn’t on board the Millennium Falcon, but inside cargo containers attached to the front of the ship that Han had reason to believe weren’t properly shielded, then the plot hole is plugged. Hell, it even makes jettisoning the cargo even easier, you just have to decouple the containers and make a run for it.

22. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I've been a bad correspondent, sorry.

Some things I can't responsibly answer or it would be wiser not to. (Sorry again.) But elsewhere....

You'd have to ask Jeff Carlisle if the cargo containers are a nod to something -- it's his art. But you should ask him! If not on the webzzzz, at a con. He's super-nice, a huge fan and a smart dude.

Re LEGOs, yes, I believe the book was comprehensive when released ... which of course means that was true for like two weeks. Sadly, I live in a NYC apartment and so don't really have room for huge LEGO sets, or any Hasbro vehicles except the big Millennium Falcon, which I simply had to have. Funny thing about that book is my kid (then about 11) was thrilled to hear I was writing it. A welcome reaction except he seemed a little overamped. Turned out he assumed my writing a LEGO Star Wars book meant the Death Star, Star Destroyer, and all those other awesome 5,000-piece sets would show up at our house for free. He was bummed to learn that wasn't the way these things worked. I used no LEGOs writing the book, but leaned heavily on YouTube videos pointing out their Easter eggs.

Re the Resurgent class, stay tuned. Sorry to be mysterious.

23. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    hot damn jasonfry - more Rey work for you!!

STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS - REY'S STORY

publisher info:
    written by Jason Fry
    softcover (128 pages)
    Disney-Lucasfilm Press
    ISBN 978-1-4847-7409-0
    $ 5.99

solicitation copy:
    Chapter book that retells The Force Awakens from the perspective of one of the film’s biggest breakout characters!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...SIN=1484774094&linkCode=xm2&tag=oncupoagal-20

any details you can reveal? is this in the same manner as your other novels or similar to Michael Kogge's rebels chapter books? I assume it will tie in nicely to Rey's survival guide too?

Gorefiend likes this.
  24. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003

I know what it says on Amazon, but that one isn't mine.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    lol

Sure Jason you can have all my money :p

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Edit: PLOT TWIST, spoke too soon. *claws back money* :p

Random Comments and jSarek like this.