main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Life and Limmie: Senator Tales (OC)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi Gunny, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Some months later . . .

“Welcome to the Bar Exam,” said the proctor of the test. “This test will challenge everything you have ever stood for, and will push you to the absolute limit. If you pass, you will be a certified practitioner of the law. If you fail, you can re-take the test, but you will need to pass it if you are to become a professional in the legal fields. Good luck. Your test begins now.”

Mirik settled into her chair and put her eyes on the screen for the first question. She had been preparing for this moment all year. She wouldn’t fail. This was her moment. Ever since Kyril had come back into her life, she had felt like things had changed for the better in her life. Just having him around gave her a warm, fuzzy feeling that she needed to keep moving even when things got tough. Every now and then she would think of Jak, and how she had lost him. She didn’t want to lose Kyril like that. She wanted to have him around, to hold and to love, forevermore. But right now, he couldn’t help her with this test. This was her fight, and hers alone.

She could not afford to fail.

The results were posted on the Holo, and Mirik couldn’t look. She was too nervous to know how things had turned out on her test. When she finally had the gumption to open her eyes, this is what she saw.

“Ms. Chal, we are pleased to proclaim that you have passed the Coruscanti Bar Exam, and are thus certified a professional in the fields of law. Congratulations, and we hope that you will have a fruitful career.”

Mirik pumped her fist. She had done it. That work was done.

Now it was on to the next bit of work. But that was not necessarily a Holo test. It was a test of her own mettle.

“That’s great!” Kyril said when he heard the news from Mirik. “I knew you could do it.” The two kissed again. “Now that that’s done, what’s next?”

“I believe you have a question to ask of me?” Mirik asked, trying to prod the man’s hand.

“Oh, right,” Kyril said, a smirk forming on his face. He then prepared to drop to one knee, but Mirik stopped him.

“Don’t,” she said. “That’s too dramatic. I will marry you, Kyril Lopaki. I will marry you.”

“Great,” Kyril said.

“And we have another bit of business to attend to,” Mirik said. “I need to celebrate, and I am ovulating . . . now would be the best time.”

“This is indeed going to be your big day, isn’t it?” Kyril asked.

“Oh yes,” the financial advisor for the Senators said. “Hit me with your best shot, love.”

By the end of the night, Mirik Chal was once again impregnated. Hopefully, this time around, it would stick.

jcgoble3 and Tim Battershell like this.
  2. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    The wedding was a nice affair, done outdoors where all the splendor of nature could be appreciated. It brought together two souls who had once just been a fling couple, but now were looking to cement their futures together after realizing that they were indeed a good fit for each other. It was a small-time affair, because they didn’t want to gather attention. There would be enough of that in the media. Carratos, in particular, would be furious. It was likely true that Kyril coming to Coruscant had been because of Mirik, and that wouldn’t please the Pirates faithful one bit. But that was business. Things happened. Coaches moved. It was the way of things.

It was a surreal moment for Mirik as she wed once again. She had been here not too long before, when she had married Jak Lennyel. But he was gone now, a fleeting memory in her mind. She had to grieve for his loss, because it was natural. It had been devastating. But she couldn’t let that stop her from moving ahead with her life. Jak would have wanted it that way. And Kyril was here for her when she needed him. He had given her a helping hand in the dark times, and that is what she appreciated. Everything else had just fallen into place so nicely.

After the ceremony, Kyril met with his daughter Jenica, who was going to fight to make the Senators in training camp. “I want to admit something to you,” he said.

“Is this about camp?”

“No. It’s about my new marriage.”

“What is it?”

“Mirik is pregnant,” Kyril said. “You’re going to have a sibling very soon.”

“Do you know what gender?” Jenica asked.

“Not yet. We’re going to wait a little longer before we want to know,” Kyril replied. “But, baby girl, I want to reiterate that you won’t be abandoned by me. Not this time around. I will make time for you. Just tell me what it is you want out of me, and I will be there.”

“I need advice.”

“On what?”

“Relationships.”

“Is this about some boy . . .?”

“Yes,” Jenica said. “His name’s Conar. We play on the same team. He’s Hapan.”

“What seems to be the trouble?” Kyril asked.

“I like him, I just . . . just . . .”

“Don’t know if he’s right for you?” Kyril finished.

“Yes, daddy.”

“Well, would you like me to talk to him, see if I can come up with some sort of solution?”

“I don’t know . . .”

“Come on, Jenica, I’m the head coach. I can talk to him. He needs to respect me as not just coach, but as your father. I want to be there for you, and if you need me to speak with him, just say the word, and it will be done.”

“I don’t know. . .” Jenica repeated.

“Baby girl, I want to see you end up in the right relationship for you. Your mother and I loved each other, and that’s why we had you. I love Mirik, and we’re going to have a child together. You need to determine what you want in a relationship.”

“You want grandchildren?” Jenica asked.

“Well, I hope that someday I do, but if I don’t, it’s not a problem. You have to follow your own path, wherever that leads. I can only help you get part of the way there. The rest is up to you.”

“Daddy, I don’t know if I’m going to make the team this year, and I’m starting to wonder if I should retire and look to find the right man . . .”

“You mean retire so that you can settle down and raise a family?”

“I guess so.”

“How well do you know this Conar?”

“We’ve been dating for the past two years. I just . . . don’t know if I want to commit to be with him.”

Kyril hadn’t known who his daughter had been dating. He really had been out of the loop on his daughter’s life. “Jenica, if you want to retire, that’s your decision. But starting a family is a big step. It means that you need to suspend your career . . .”

“Other players have done that, and they come back.”

“You need to think long and hard on this,” Kyril said. “If he’s the right man for you, then go for it. I cannot interfere with your life. Just know that your new stepmother and I will love you for who you are, regardless of where your life takes you.”

“Thanks, daddy,” Jenica said, and the two embraced. Kyril hoped his words had meant something to his daughter. After all, he couldn’t afford to lose her. He had Mirik and a new baby, but he also had to see to Jenica’s well-being. It was all important to him. The question was how to balance things.

Later on, Mirik came up. “Problems?” she asked.

“Nothing,” Kyril said. “Let’s go home.”

Mirik squeezed Kyril’s hand. “Let’s.”

Tim Battershell and jcgoble3 like this.
  3. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Briar stood at the balcony of the hotel room, staring out into the pristine seas of Wroona. It was her fourth training camp with the Senator organization, but it was easily her biggest. While her first season had been tough, the new ownership situation and the partial rebuild of the roster had forced Briar to work extra hard to craft a roster she could work with. The deal with Nar Shaddaa to bring in veteran Maximus Qorbus was the smart decision; Renhorn was on her way out the door anyways, so to bring in veteran talent to spark the offense off the bench was a plus. Qorbusk, corner back Zen Keisel, and goalie Jayla Leed were the only players on the roster to have won a Galactic Cup, and for all intents and purposes the only ones to ever get that far. The rest of the roster was green when it came to winning in the postseason, and that had to change.

The deal to bring in Bergal Rotramel was an interesting case because it had cost the Senators a lot in return. Loryyk Fey’limm was a two-year starter at half forward, Patricia Meter was an underwhelming half back but who had experience, and Luka Mellott, a promising full back prospect with Thyferra, had been thrown in as part of the trade. In return the team got a mid-aged Mon Calamari half forward who had some good stats to his name but had never quite become a star player. He had the talent, just not quite the extra leap to stardom. But he would likely be an upgrade at forward, and that was why he was brought in. Other smaller deals were being discussed, but most of them revolved around Thyferra players, and Briar was unsure whether she wanted to trade the core of the LFL title team. If a good deal came along where giving up prospects could land useable ELL pieces, that was worth it. She just wanted to avoid doing what Gark S’rily did prior to 277 and trading away most of her farm system for veterans who turned out to be duds. She had to be smarter than the Bothan in this instance, and that meant staying pat with the roster for the most part.

And then there were the motherly duties she had with her young son, Lukas. When she wasn’t working with the organizational brass to get things sorted out, she had to spend time in the hotel room with the baby, trying to stop him from crying and being fidgety. There were times where she wondered if this was all worth it; after all, Jet had impregnated her without asking, and they had gotten together because of that. But Lukas was her future now, and she had to take care of him. She did find him frustrating, but she loved him regardless. He was her own flesh and blood.

But never again would she have another child. The pregnancy had been tough on her system, and she didn’t want to go through this again. Jet probably wouldn’t like it, but he didn’t have to give birth, either.

“How you holding up?” Jet asked as he came onto the balcony.

“About the same as always,” Briar said, not breaking her gaze. “I just hope that this team is ready for a comeback this season. We have plenty of veteran talent coming in that should help with experience, and some young talent now asked to take over the reins. If Adama stays healthy this year, we might have a shot at the postseason.”

“Might? I think this team does. If they play their best, of course they can make the playoffs. We both know how much that would mean to you.”

“It’s time to win a playoff game. I’m frustrated with being stuck in the one-and-out category every year.”

“Then you need to hope Leia is healthy all year,” Jet said. The Senators’ star full forward was his cousin, so they went way back. “You need her to carry this team.”

“No,” Briar said, turning around. “She shouldn’t have to carry this team. I’ve built in plenty of skill off the bench. Qorbus, Cellen, and Ehlers is a three-headed monster off the bench. And we have some veteran players starting. Montego should round into shape eventually. The pieces are there. The defense has good skills, and Syndulla has looked good. We might have a shot this year to make noise.”

“If not?”

“Then we keep building. We have a lot of young players.”

“You might, and likely will, lose Gamble. Can’t afford that.”

And that was the dagger. Christine Gamble was the heart and soul of the defense. Losing her would be catastrophic to everyone. Briar didn’t want to make the season about making a good pitch to Gamble, but it almost felt like it. This season was big for another reason.

“How’s Lukas?” Briar asked, abruptly changing the subject.

“Fussy as always,” her husband said. “The boy is just like me, a rogue.”

“We are not having another one,” Briar stated. “Too much work.”

“I concur,” Jet said. “But we have to deal with the little demon here and now. Hopefully he grows up quickly.”

“Or else we get gray hairs early,” Briar said. “And I could do without that.”

“Look, Briar, I’m here for you to lean on. I know how stressful this is.”

“Thank you,” Briar said. Jet put his hands on Briar’s shoulders and started to rub out some of the stress that was pent-up in her shoulder blades.

“Everything will be all right,” he said quietly. “Everything will be alright.”

Tim Battershell and jcgoble3 like this.
  4. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Galin didn’t feel so hot that morning. Well, he felt overly warm, but that was beside the point. He felt sick, and the thought of attending school was definitely not something he wanted to follow. He didn’t get up when his alarm went off, preferring just to stay in bed. At some point someone would figure out what was going on and help him.

That happened minutes later when Me’lin poked her head in the door. “Galin, time to get up for school,” the Twi’lek said.

Galin just moaned. “I don’t feel good,” he said.

“I know boys your age want more sleep, but you need to go to class,” Me’lin said.

“No, I feel sick,” Galin replied unhappily.

Me’lin opened the door to Galin’s room to its full extent. “Where is it bothering you?”

“Ugh . . .” Galin said.

Me’lin came over and placed a hand on Galin’s forehead. It did indeed feel warmer than it should have. “Fever,” she said to herself. “I’ll just take your temperature.” She came back with a thermometer and placed it in Galin’s mouth. As she feared, her son’s temperature was higher than it should have been.

“You don’t have to go to school today,” she said. “It’s best for you to stay here and rest.”

“What’s going on?” Gark asked, coming into the room. He was dressed for work.

“Galin’s got a fever,” Me’lin said. “I don’t think he should go to school today. His temperature is high.”

“That sucks,” Gark said. “Hey, champ, try to get some sleep, OK? Get over that fever as quickly as you can.”

“I will,” Galin said weakly.

“You want me to take the girls to daycare to keep them out of your hair?” Gark asked his wife.

“I think Cecilia can go with you. And it would be best if someone else looked after Aileen today. I need to focus on Galin,” Me’lin said.

“Should I take Ronny to school as well?”

“That’s up to you. You’re the one who needs to get to work on time.”

“I’ll do it today. Is Aileen still in her crib?”

“Yes. Make sure to take her favorite blanket and a few of her things,” Me’lin replied.

“Copy that,” Gark said. “Get better, son. I’ve gotta go to work, but if you need to call me, do so.”

“Bye, Dad,” Galin said, his voice feeling weak. He didn’t want to speak if he didn’t have to. He just felt drained.

“See you tonight,” Gark said. He kissed his wife and then walked out of the room. He had three kids to round up and take from the house to school or to work and the daycare center there.

Me’lin sat down in a chair next to Galin’s bed. “Do you feel like eating anything?”

“No,” Galin said.

“Drink?”

“I feel too hot . . .”

“I’ll get you some water,” Me’lin said. She got up and walked out of the room, soon coming back with a cup for Galin to drink from. The Bothan gladly accepted the drink and began to sip on it. It felt nice having something going down the back of his scratchy throat. Me’lin then took a damp towel and draped it over Galin’s forehead, trying to cool him off.

“I have a few things to do, so can you hold on thirty minutes?” Me’lin asked. “I promise that once your father and siblings are out of the house, I will focus on your situation.”

Thirty minutes later, Gark and his children left, leaving Me’lin and Galin home. The Twi’lek wasn’t used to having her son home with her during the day; her daughters were the ones that she cared for in the daytime as the boys were at school. She liked being a stay-at-home mother; she found it rewarding to personally care for her children. The only problem was that, in the past, she had fostered an intense interest in having another baby while caring for her existing children, namely Cecilia. She had to get that thought out of her mind, she knew. She was done bearing children; now she had to raise the ones she had.

As Me’lin tried to help her son feel better, the boy had a question. “Mom?” he asked.

“Yes?”

“Why are you spending so much time with me today?”

“What do you mean?”

“You never spend that much time with me,” Galin said. Again, it was true; the boy was much closer to his father than he was to his mother. “It’s weird that you want to help me.”

“Silly boy,” Me’lin said, shaking her head. “Let me tell you something important, Galin.” She sat down in the chair next to his bed. “I may have my hands full with your younger sisters. They are a handful. But you are my son, my firstborn, and I love you very much. If you think I don’t care about you just because I spend more time with the girls . . . that’s not how it is. They need more care since they are younger and don’t know any better. I have to be there for them. It’s what a mother does. But II will tell you here and now that you are no less important than your sisters or Ronny are. I’ve been caring for you longer than the rest of them combined, and that means a lot to me. I’ve spent some quality time with you over the years . . . maybe not as much nowadays as I would like . . . but I’m here for you now. Please understand that I do what I have to, and that I’m not ignoring you. I’m simply spread out amongst four children, and I can only do so much.”

“Sometimes I feel left out.”

“And I understand that. Galin, I know that I haven’t spent time with you like I should have. It’s something I want to fix. No one is perfect, no matter how hard we try to become that. It just won’t happen. But we can always try a little harder to be at our best, and that for me means being here for you when you need me. It’s my job.”

“Mom?”

“Yes?”

“Thanks for helping me,” Galin said.

“It’s what I’m here for, to make sure you get better,” Me’lin said, touching Galin on the snout gently with her finger. “I hate it to see my children get sick. And that’s why I’m doing my best so that you get over this fever quickly.”

“Thanks,” Galin said. “But, can you promise me that you will spend more time with me in the future?”

“I will. I know you are close with your father, but not as much with me. And I want to change that. I want you to get some quality time with me. I want to see you grow up into an outstanding young man. You have your father’s good looks and personality, but you also have my kindness and compassion. I’ve heard the stories of your work at school. You’re going to be a good man someday, Galin. I just know it.”

“Thanks, Mom,” Galin said.

“I think it’s time you get some sleep,” Me’lin said. She took the cup from Galin’s grasp. “Rest easy, and I’ll be back later.”

Galin, his head swimming, quickly fell asleep. He was exhausted, and the sleep was a nice release from being sick. He ended up sleeping most of the day away, the only breaks when his mother would come in with a cup of liquid for him to drink. It was a lost day, but the care was good.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  5. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Just playing around with some fast-forwarding on the timeline. It's probably crap, but hey, a lot of what I write falls under that category. :D

Galin awoke groggily and checked the chrono on the bedside table. It read 0630. He looked over to the other side of the bed, but he was now alone. Anya had slipped out already; she had a shuttle to catch. After all, it wouldn’t do if the Smugglers’ young goalkeeper was on Coruscant instead of back on the Smuggler’s Moon where her mother had once prowled between the pipes. It was like everything had come full-circle; Anya was playing for her mother’s old team, and Buck was playing for his father’s old squad along with Galin. It seemed like a long road since they had all been kids, with dreams of maybe playing together in the pros. They had gone their separate ways during college, but had kept in touch the whole time. When it came time to choose teams to go pro with, Galin had no hesitation. His family was here, his mind was here, his heart was here. He would not leave Coruscant. It meant that much to him to be a Senator. Buck felt similarly; he had grown up on Coruscant, and his father was a Limmie legend here. It meant a lot to him. But for Anya, the pressures had been too much. She had gone to Nar Shaddaa because the Smugglers had shown plenty of interest, and maybe because she felt she had to.

Galin got out of bed and got himself dressed for the day. He and Anya had been together for several years, but they were afraid to go all-in. After all, if they got married, then one of them would have to sit out their matchup each year, and that didn’t help things with the coaches. Then there was the possibility of kids; Anya seemed open to it, just not if it ruined her shot at a Limmie career. So they had to be in close as much as they could, and hope that maybe someday that draconian rule in the League would be lifted. It was simply in their way.

As Galin dressed, a message came to his datapad. He checked on it. Ready for practice? came the message from Buck.

Never am. But that doesn’t stop them from scheduling it.

Ha. You lazy bum.

Galin set the datapad down and got the rest of his morning worked on. He ate his breakfast and then grabbed his things before leaving his apartment. He and Anya were living here in the offseason together, although she was also living on Nar Shaddaa during the season. He wouldn’t see her until the two teams played during the season, and that sucked. But it was the nature of the beast in the Elite League. Relationships just couldn’t be maintained on two separate ends of the galaxy.

When he was about to leave, he checked his calendar. There was practice today, and then he had the next day off. He had promised Cecilia that he would be at her competition that day; she was a Wylsonridge senior on the cheerleading squad, and they were competing in the Planetary Finals. Aileen, their youngest sibling, was a freshman at Wylsonridge, and was also going to be competing in the event with her older sister. Then, that night, they had a gig at one of the local music venues. Ronny had set up the gig around his work schedule, and fortunately it worked for everyone. They had made quite a name for themselves in the local music scene with their style of hard rock mixed with favorite tunes that made audiences cheer. Maybe someday they would record an album, but that wasn’t Galin’s primary concern right now. Practice was.

As Galin drove to practice, his mind wandered. How would the team do this year? What could he do better to make sure they would be winners? Mykal had retired from the League, but he was still constantly bombarded by the Bothan on how to be a success. Mykal’s response was just to work hard and try not to make mistakes. It sounded just like what their father had told them when they were younger. Gark was still managing the Senators, but his relationship with his children had changed when they had grown up. It was a much more professional relationship now, and Galin was sure that his mother missed having all the kids be young again. It must have been hard for her to swallow. Luckily, Mykal and Kortney had three kids together, so Me’lin had grandchildren to play with when they came over.

As Galin pulled into the parking lot, he killed the engine and then sighed. Today was the start of the practices leading to the first game. Everything was on the line now.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  6. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Nar Shaddaa

“It’s a silly rule,” Galin muttered to himself.

“But there’s nothing we can do about it,” Anya said as she stood up and took her plate to the sink. “The League is the League, and they can do what they want.”

“Why hasn’t the Players’ Association brought this up as a matter of collective bargaining?” Galin asked out loud. “I would think that this would be of major priority for some players.”

“They’re too busy complaining about other things that only a few benefit from. All the union is is noise,” Anya commented, washing the plate off. “I don’t think we can trust them to vouch for our concerns, no matter how valid they may be.”

“And that sucks,” Galin said, sitting back in the chair. “It’s not right. We should have the right to not be impeded by some rule that makes no sense. Why would I ever throw a game just because you’re on the opposite side of the field? I don’t even play on offense, so how could I really throw a game? Really?”

“Not making a play you should make can be considered throwing a game,” Anya pointed out.

“But that’s not it. Why would I throw a game?”

“I don’t know, maybe because you feel your significant other needs to win once?”

“This is a game, I’m going to play to win, no matter who it’s against. We both know that.”

“It’s how I treat every game we play against each other,” Anya said. “Despite how I feel about you, each game is out there to be won. I won’t back down, even if it means running you and your teammates over. That’s just how it is.”

“I won’t let you win easily, either,” Galin said sternly. “I want to win.”

“Of course we both want to win. We have to put our relationship aside for 60 minutes and play ball. But that’s what tonight is for, obviously. Don’t get to see each other during the season, so tonight has to suffice,” Anya said with a shrug. “It’s how my parents did things after they retired. And, if I’m not mistaken, it was one night like this where they conceived my sister, Daisy. So we just have to enjoy our night before things get heated on the pitch tomorrow.”

“And I’m not backing down,” Galin said. “I’m going all-out tomorrow. You’d better watch the score, because we’re gunning for a win.”

“I’m sure you will have a good game, but not as good as I will,” Anya said.

“Maybe we’ll both do well,” Galin said.

“We’ll see. How about we both perform well tonight, and then we go into tomorrow at our best?” Anya asked.

“You bet. That’s how it works,” Galin said.

Despite being adversaries on the field of battle the next day, they had a sense of harmony that night. It felt good to be back together again after some time away from each other. And it was hard to swallow that they couldn’t change the rules in the League, so they had to take what they could get.

The game was indeed hard-fought. Both players indeed had good games, and it was a close one. But that wasn’t the end of the story.

Anya was pregnant. And that would throw a wrench into things going forward for both of them.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  7. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Mirik Lopaki was not going to let only one event in her past define her. Jak’s death had been a major blow to her entire outlook on life. It had been tough, that was for sure, and she was likely never going to completely get over it. Losing a husband like that was earth-shattering, and it would always be there, a completely unwanted memory. But she sought to move on, to be something better than just a widow.

She found herself in her first court case, forced to work on the defense in a civil case. Civil law was much different than criminal; that was where the black and white lines were obvious. But in this field, those lines could be blurred, and that made things difficult. And no one was going to hand her any favors, especially not now. The prosecution had a strong case, so she would have to fight hard to make sure this went in her favor. And that meant working this to the best situation she could.

“ . . . there is no doubt that there was copyright infringement on the media in question,” said the prosecution’s lawyer. “Does that mean that you have done this kind of thing willingly in the past?”

“Perhaps,” was all the defendant’s witness said. That wasn’t good for Mirik’s side. She would have to work through this.

“Perhaps? That’s an odd answer, means you likely did. Can I ask why you are so defensive? Or maybe you’re trying to hide something, like your criminal history . . .”

“Objection!” Mirik stated to the judge.

“Objection sustained,” the judge said, then turned to the prosecution’s lawyer. “While the witness may have a less than stellar record on some counts, we must hear their testimony without you steering them down that path.”

“Yes sir,” the other lawyer said, but he gave a dirty look to Mirik in the process. Mirik just gave a slight smirk from where she sat at the defense’s table. It had been easy to shut down that path, since it was more of a personal attack than anything else. There was no place in law for that kind of attack on character.

With the right defense, Mirik and her fellow lawyers were able to win partial impasse for their client. It wasn’t a victory, and shouldn’t have been described as such by any means, but it wasn’t a total loss, either. The defendant was forced to pay damages for the infringement, but some of the harsher goals the prosecution was looking for were thrown out due to a lack of firm evidence. Mirik wasn’t sure if the defendant had done those things or not, but that wasn’t her concern. Her foremost concern was to make sure she did her job, because that was how she got paid.

After the case had finished, Mirik was talking with her fellows in the lobby outside the courtroom. She could see the other lawyer on the other side of the lobby, still steaming from being shot down on several occasions by the rookie lawyer. It boiled over when Mirik excused herself to the refresher. When she came back, the other lawyer intercepted her.

“What’s the deal, rookie?” the other laywer asked. “You act so tough, but you’re nothing. Messing with the wrong guy.”

“Here I thought the law was supposed to be impartial,” Mirik said.

“Impartial as far as what the judge says. But my client deserved all the points, not just some. You just pissed them off.”

“Their damages are not my concern,” Mirik said. “I did my job, and you didn’t, simple as that.”

“People like you have no place in the court room,” the other lawyer said. It was a blunt statement. “The judge took pity on you because of protection of women in your position,” he finished.

“Just because my reproductive organs are on the inside instead of the outside does not mean that I am any less capable of doing my job in that courtroom,” Mirik said. “And, in case you think this was the reason why you won,” she said, touching her pregnant belly, “then think again. I had the perfect plan to beat you within the realm of the law. Textbook defense.”

“You might think that, but the judge did take it easy on you. You got lucky, rookie, but that kid can’t save you in the future. The law will bury you, I promise you that. And there’s not a damn thing that coach husband of yours can do to save you when that happens.”

“Why are you so big on talk today? Last I checked, you didn’t win.”

“I won, we just didn’t get the damages owed to us due to a technicality. Expect us to appeal, and then we will meet again.”

“You can’t appeal. Things are settled.”

The other lawyer was beat. Once again, Mirik had the upper hand. “You cannot appeal because of the final judgment on the matter. Case closed. Or do you not know the law like I do, because I certainly know a thing or two. Or maybe you think I’m just a simple housewife, in which case you are sorely mistaken,” Mirik said.

“This isn’t over,” the other lawyer said. “Someday I will bury you, and then it will be sweet justice to my ears.”

He stalked away, and the other lawyers on Mirik’s side came over to ask her what had happened. But she wouldn’t divulge any of the conversation. Nothing needed to be said; she had shut the other man down, and he was just jealous that a rookie lawyer, a pregnant woman, at that, could beat him, a seasoned pro. And he was right in a way, this was just her first case. Other cases would be a lot more difficult to tackle, and that meant she would need to be ready. Also, Kyril couldn’t help her in the court of law. He could just be moral and mental support. She had to do this on her own, and that meant never giving in and never backing down.

So far so good.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  8. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    “Gark, at some point you need to get off that couch,” Me’lin said as she came into the room. Her husband had been sitting on the sofa at home all day watching the first day of the annual Collegiate Netball Championship Tournament. Many pundits said that netball was the second-most popular collegiate sport in the galaxy after Limmie, and this tournament was the pinnacle of success for college programs from around the Galaxy at the Division I level. “It’s not healthy for you to sit there and just eat chips.”

“But it’s the Netball Tournament,” Gark said. “This isn’t just any tournament. This is a big deal. Besides, I have the day off from work since the team is on the road.” The Senators were going on the road for the first time on the season, headed out to Mandalore.

“You having a day off from work should mean spending some of your newfound free time with your wife,” Me’lin said disapprovingly, shaking her head. “I thought that was standard practice.”

“You can certainly join me,” Gark said. “There’s plenty of room on the couch.”

“I would love to, but I have a few others to deal with, first,” the Twi’lek said. She meant her two young daughters. The boys were off at school as usual, although Galin and Ronny were unhappy that they had to sit in school and miss some of the tournament action. At least Limmie was played on weekends when they could see the games.

“Bring them in here, then. We can all watch,” Gark said, shrugging. “Maybe it’ll help calm them down.”

“You watching sports doesn’t exactly tell me it will be a quiet affair,” Me’lin said, sighing and rolling her eyes. “I know you too well. Whether it’s Limmie or something else, you’re always getting into things.”

“What do you want me to do?” Gark asked. “I should have a chance to take some time off once in a while, especially since I’m working my rear-end off to make money for this family.”

“This isn’t about the money, Gark, this is about the two of us spending time together since you aren’t at work,” Me’lin said. Her expression was still sour. “After over ten years, I would have figured you would be chomping at the bit to spend time with me when you can.”

“It doesn’t mean I won’t,” Gark pointed out. “There’s plenty of time today yet.”

“I know you’ll try to get out of it.”

“Who, me? Never. You must be mistaken.”

“Look, Gark, I wore this dress because I thought we could go outside, go somewhere nice with the girls this afternoon,” Me’lin said. She had her nice blue summer dress on, since the weather on Coruscant was rather warm. “I didn’t intend to spend all day sitting in the house.”

“We can’t be gone when the boys get home from school.”

“Then we need to get going as soon as possible, and that means you getting off your duff and getting moving,” Me’lin snapped.

“What is it you want to do outside the house today, anyway?” Gark asked.

“I have a few ideas.”

“If there’s anything I know about you, one of the items on that list is making out,” Gark pointed out. “Not that I would be against that, but I thought we both agreed that Cecilia potentially walking in on us at that time would be hard to explain.”

“She’s too young to understand,” Me’lin said.

“But how would we explain it, anyways?”

“There’s always the common excuse that we were so concerned about her well-being that we were trying to give her another sibling,” Me’lin offered.

“You always know how to make things even more complicated than they already are,” Gark said, shaking his head. “We aren’t going to be trying for another kid, I know that.”

“Try me,” Me’lin said. “You know that the longer we sit here at an impasse, the more likely we will end up running out of ideas and make out on the couch you’re sitting on. And I’m ovulating right now, so I don’t know if you want to risk it . . .”

All right, I’ll get going,” Gark said, completely annoyed. He flipped off the Holo screen and stalked off to the refresher, leaving Me’lin with a sly smirk on her face. She had found a way to push Gark’s buttons and was now going to get her way. Her eyes travelled to the flimsy on the table that was Gark’s Netball Bracket. She found such things humorous; people tried to predict the tournament results before they happened. It was silly, all of it. She would never fill out a bracket, because it just ruined the game for her.

When Galin and Ronny got home, they found Gark getting his daughters out of the family speeder. “Dad, you weren’t watching the tournament?” Galin asked, confused.

“Let’s just say I had other things to attend to,” Gark said. “Your mother wanted to go out for the afternoon, and she was very persuasive.”

“Poor you. We got to see some of the tournament at lunch,” Galin said, grinning. “It was awesome.”

“I bet it was,” Gark said, rolling his eyes. Me’lin had gotten the upper hand on him again.

So he asked her if she was telling the truth later on that night. “No, I lied,” she said. “I was in that position last week, but not today.”

“You always know how to get at me, don’t you?” Gark asked.

“Of course I do, honey. But it worked,” Me’lin said with a wink as she turned around to attend to the pot roast she was preparing. “Got a good amount of time in with you today, which is what I wanted. And I think you enjoyed it, you just don’t want to let it on.”

Gark sighed. “Same time tomorrow?”

“You’ve got it,” Me’lin said.

“What about the tournament?” Gark asked.

“There will be another one next year, and the year after that, and after that. You’ll have time next year.”

“That’s blackmail.”

“We’ve been together for almost eleven years, and yet you still haven’t found a way to one-up me,” Me’lin said with a chuckle as she pulled out the pot roast from the oven and set it on the counter.

“You’re just manipulative,” Gark pointed out.

“And you love it, I know you do,” Me’lin said. She leaned over and kissed her husband on the cheek.

“Someday I’ll find a way to one-up you at something,” Gark said.

“Keep dreaming, love,” Me’lin said, chuckling again. “Keep dreaming.”

Gark knew that he had been had. But it could have been a lot worse.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  9. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    The card came in the mail that day. Gark collected the mail and then went into the house to sort it all out. But this card stood out, and he made sure to read it first. After it was done, he immediately felt stupid. Had he really forgotten about this?

“Lin!” he shouted.

“What is it?” Me’lin asked as she came around the corner, holding baby Aileen in her arms.

“We just got a card inviting us to the red carpet premiere of the Superbothan Holo I seem to recall you signed off on,” Gark commented.

“Oh, so they finally made it,” Me’lin said. “Where and when?”

“It’s in two weeks,” Gark said, reading the card again. “They ‘cordially invite us to the red carpet premiere of the debuting Superbothan: Origins . . .’”

“Sounds exciting!” Me’lin said. “I’m sure Galin is going to love it. He’s your biggest fan, you know that.”

“I just don’t know if a Holo will be quite like actually living out the event,” Gark pointed out. “And I can distinctly remember some not-so-glorious events occurring in my time in that suit. Things that I would rather not remember.”

“I know, but I think it would be good for you. Imagine how much positive energy you could get from going to this premiere,” Me’lin said. “It might help you get over some of your phobias about what the suit does to your life.”

“I don’t think anything can truly do that for me.”

“It can be a start, then. Anything. Besides, I’ve always wanted to walk the red carpet,” Me’lin said, a small smile forming on her face. “All the stars show up to that event, and I want to meet them.”

“And you only get in because you’re the wife of the guest of honor,” Gark said dryly.

“Just the wife? No, I’m the overly-doting, precious, mother of your three kids, wife, to you,” Me’lin said in an equally dry manner. “Besides, I know we both understand that I didn’t marry you for the money. It was never about me being a two-bit woman looking to marry into riches.”

“I know,” Gark said. “I would rather just not make such a big deal about this Holo premiere. Why do all those celebrities have to be there? I mean, it’s not just about the Holo, which I would prefer . . .”

“At least let Galin meet the actors in the Holo,” Me’lin said. “He probably already knows who they are. Besides, he’s also your Number One fan, so they will be very keen to talk to him, especially since some of his story ideas have been included in the comic series over the years.”

“I seem to recall you having input on at least one issue,” Gark said.

“Of course I did. But I did it because I know you best, and because I knew it would be a successful issue,” Me’lin said. “And we’ve read literally all of them over the years. I’ve even started borrowing a few of Galin’s collection to read to Cecilia. She isn’t as interested in the tales, but I’ve found that they always help her sleep. It’s a perfect bedtime story. Who knows, once she gets a little older, she might start to care about those stories like Galin does. After maybe Aileen after her.” She raised the child in her arms for a moment to support her point.

“Can we just both promise to contain our enthusiasm at the premiere so that we don’t come off as complete fools in the spotlight?” Gark inquired. “You know I’m not made for those kinds of events.”

“I understand. And I will do my best to rein in my impulses and try to remain calm and collected,” Me’lin said. “At least, unless they have a hot stud playing your part, in which case I might find it a little hard to concentrate . . .”

“Low blow right there,” Gark said, a tinge of bitterness in his tone.

“Oh get off it, I think you’re the best man in the galaxy, believe it,” Me’lin said with a wink. “I can just fawn over other hot guys. It’s a girl thing.”

“It’s also what I’m worried about when the girls grow up,” Gark said. “All those dreamy discussions about boys . . .”

“I lived those, and they’re nice. But fantasy isn’t reality. Fortunately, for me, my fantasy is my reality. I’ve got you, I’ve got the kids, and I’m set for life,” Me’lin said.

To Be Continued . . . Maybe . . .

jcgoble3 likes this.
  10. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    “Lin, it’s a bad idea,” Gark said sternly. “You have enough work here as it is, and I don’t want you to get overloaded with the extra burden.”

“I don’t think it’s a burden. I’m helping out a friend by being there for her,” Me’lin said. “Besides, what if you had to help Polis for some reason, and the only way to do it was to look outside the box?”

“This is a bit more than letting him borrow a hydrospanner for a few days,” Gark said. “I think it’s a lot more, actually. And it sticks a vibroshiv in our lives for a while. Do you really want to go through with this?”

“She needs help, and I want to be there to help her out, whatever it takes.”

“You’re crazy,” Gark said. “And that doesn’t even begin to explain it. I just can’t let you. It would put our life into something we don’t want. What’s the benefit, anyways? Satisfaction for someone else? Is that worth the pain? Is that worth anything?”

“I don’t think you understand, Gark. This has nothing to do with you . . .”

“Nothing to do with me? As far as I can see, this has everything to do with me. Don’t try to sweet-talk your way into this,” Gark said, folding his arms. “What you are proposing is a huge upheaval for us.”

“Not really. We just went through this, and we survived,” Me’lin said angrily. “Three times, Gark! Three times, not just once! I can do it again!”

“Those were different,” Gark said. “At least when I experienced those, I know I had a hand in it. But being a surrogate mother for a friend’s benefit . . . that’s where I draw the line.”

“Why?”

“Because Aileen needs you to be able to take care of her when I am away at work. She doesn’t need a pregnant woman trying to run after her when she finally decides to start messing with you. It’s happened before with the other kids. You had a hard-enough time with Cecilia when you were expecting with Aileen. Now, we’re not even adding a kid to the family when you go through the pregnancy, just adding it to someone else’s family.”

“Gark, I understand why you are upset, but I need to do this. Isha has no other way; the doctors have tried everything, but she is infertile. It frustrates she and her husband to no end that they can’t have a child naturally.”

“Then just adopt. We adopted Ronny, for example. Why can’t they make do?”

“Because I decided to help them, and I’m going to do it.”

“You’re just being stubborn,” Gark said bitterly.

“No, you are,” Me’lin shot back. “Why do you care, anyways? I’m the one who has to put in the nine months of work. I’m the one who has to go through the pains of childbirth. But I’m going to do this because it’s the right thing to do!”

“Because it messes up our life.”

“Sure we won’t be able to have sex for a time, but that’s not important. We’re still together, and that’s what matters. I just need support, as always.”

“Are you trying to leverage me to have another kid with you? I can do that,” Gark said, gritting his teeth.

“I would love nothing more. But that’s not going to happen,” Me’lin said. “We just can’t. So I want to use my remaining fertility to help Isha.”

“I can see there is no talking you out of this,” Gark said, sighing.

“No, there isn’t.”

“At least promise me that this will be a one-time thing.”

“I promise. I think four full-term pregnancies will be more than enough in my life.”

“You need a ride to the clinic to have the procedure done, don’t you?” Gark asked.

“I have my speeder, Gark. Don’t try to dissuade me from doing this, because I will.”

“This is a bad idea,” Gark muttered to himself as he stalked away.

“I will make an appointment to go to the fertility clinic this week and get this started,” Me’lin told Isha as she sat with her friend and her husband two days later.

“I’m afraid that might not work,” Isha said.

“What do you mean?” Me’lin asked.

“We tried a fertility clinic once. It didn’t work,” Isha said. “It didn’t work . . . and we lost hope in them.”

“Don’t be silly. I can achieve it,” Me’lin said.

“We . . . have an odd request,” Isha said.

“Sure, go ahead,” Me’lin said.

“We would like to request that you be a traditional surrogate,” Isha said after a pause.

“Traditional? You mean . . .?” Me’lin asked. She looked to Isha’s husband, who had a stoic look on his face.

“Yes,” Isha said. “I know it’s an odd request, but please, just listen to me. Please.”

“I can’t,” Me’lin said. “If Gark ever found out, I . . . I don’t know what could happen. We’ve kept our marriage steady for over four years without a possible breaking point coming up . . . I don’t want to lose him. It’s not worth it. And, I don’t know if I could live with myself if I did this . . . Gark means so much to me.”

“Please, Lin, this is the only way,” Isha pleaded. “The clinic will make a mistake, I just know it.”

“You’re paranoid,” Me’lin said.

“Come on, Lin. For me,” Isha said. “You promised to help us.”

“I didn’t think it would involve sleeping with your husband,” Me’lin commented, frowning. “Isha, I’m willing to be pregnant with your child, but I don’t think doing things naturally would work for any party here, especially me.”

“Your husband doesn’t need to know,” Isha’s husband said. “Please, my wife is begging you. Consider it.”

Me’lin paused for several seconds. She couldn’t let this happen; Gark would throw a fit if he learned the news that his wife had been impregnated by another man. His role up to this point was to sire the children she carried, and that was all well and good. But this, this would shake him to the core if he ever found out. And she didn’t know what might happen if he was provoked like that. If she was in his shoes in that situation, she knew she would be furious. He would have every right to be. But this was important to Isha; their friendship meant a lot to Me’lin, and she wanted to help.

“Look, Lin, I know we asked too much of you. We can use a clinic,” Isha said, backing down.

“No,” Me’lin said. “I’ll do it the natural way. But it means that your child will be genetically related to me, not to you. Can you handle that?”

“Yes. Just, please, help us,” Isha said.

“All right,” Me’lin said, sighing. “I will be in the middle of a cycle in a few days, so we need to get this done at the prime time. And no one is to tell Gark or anyone else of what we have planned.”

“I will stay silent,” Isha said. “Thank you, Lin. How can I ever repay you?”

“I’m sure something will come along that will make us even,” Me’lin said. “Gark has work every day this upcoming week, so I will be home with the girls during the day. That would be an excellent time.”

“I can get time off for a day, call in sick,” Isha’s husband said. “We would only have one shot at this, though.”

“Then we must make it count,” Me’lin said.

“Bye, honey, love you,” Me’lin said, kissing Gark on the Bothan’s way out the door. “Have a good day at work!” When she closed the door, she sighed again. She couldn’t believe she was going through with this, but it had to be done.

“CeCe, we’re going on a little field trip,” she told her elder daughter.

“Yay!” was what the girl exclaimed. She always liked taking trips.

The speeder parked on the curb outside Isha’s home, and Me’lin went to the door, two girls in tow. Isha opened the door, and Me’lin immediately handed Aileen to her. “Please promise me to watch them so that they don’t get into trouble,” Me’lin said. “Think of it as good practice for when you have one of your own to deal with.”

“Understood,” Isha said.

“And remember to keep Cecilia far away from the bedroom,” Me’lin warned. “No need to have her wander in on the job.”

Me’lin was shown to the bedroom, where Isha’s husband was ready for her. “We can use the bed, if you would like,” he said. “I know it might make this too personal for you, so we could always try another way.”

“No, it has to be like this,” Me’lin said.

“I promise that we will get this over with quickly,” the man said. “I know what this means to you.”

“Then let us get it over with,” Me’lin said. She was in the prime of the cycle, and now was the best time.

As the bedroom door closed, Me’lin hoped that she was doing this for the right reasons. If she wasn’t, then what was she getting herself into?

11. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    The news came to Briar as she was playing with Lukas on the floor of the family home. She couldn’t believe that it was happening, but she would have to remain stoic as always. The Galactic Cup Final would be held on Coruscant this year, which meant that the pressure on the Senators to make the Final would increase. Already in precarious position in the Solo Conference, the Senators had to finish strong and find a second wind in the playoffs to have a shot at playing in front of the hometown crowd. Then again, it had been done before. There was hope, but it was a longshot.

When Jet got the news from Briar hours later, he seemed amused. “So, a chance to show yourself to the entire galaxy as the Best GM in the league,” he said, a smirk on his face.

“I wouldn’t say that just yet,” Briar commented. “This team still has a long way to go. We’re rebuilding.”

“That may be, but this is a chance of a lifetime. Besides, we could always use a party. During the season, things are always so hectic,” Jet replied. “And imagine if the team wins it . . . that would be complete pandemonium.”

“Again, I wouldn’t count on it just yet,” Briar said. “We don’t want to jinx anything.”

“Making the playoffs would be nice, I’ll start with that. Then, after that, you have to trust that your abilities to put this team together have led to a winning culture that gives this team a shot at the title. I never had that title, and it still bothers me.”

“I have three,” Briar said.

“Frak off.”

“Not in front of Lukas.”

“But those three titles weren’t won by you. You didn’t really have a hand in them. Cundertol did, and he gets the glory. Don’t you want to win one for yourself as the GM? Prove to the galaxy that you belong here?”

“I thought I already did?”

“Briar, the team is not as good as it was in your first season. The fans are only going to sing your praises if you can deliver a postseason win. If you lose in the playoffs, no one remembers you. No one remembers my loss in the ’73 Finals. They only remember that Ylesia won. Point is, if you want to leave a legacy, you have to embrace this. You have to win this situation no matter if the team succeeds or not. This is your proving ground.”

“To be paraded around in the party?”

“If that’s what it takes,” Jet said. “Look, Briar. Having the Final here is a huge deal. It means that a lot is going to happen in the next few weeks. You need to be ready to take advantage of whatever comes your way out of it, good or ill. It’s a chance you might not get again as a GM.”

That was something Briar hadn’t thought about. She thought her position as GM was safe, but Jet was right. The owner could fire her if things went downhill. What if no one else would hire her? The point was simple: do what she could to boost her stock in the eyes of the League, and hopefully reap the benefits if her team could find a way to defy the odds and make noise in the postseason. It would help her immensely if she could direct this team to postseason glory. After all, she wanted to make a name for herself. A Grames Award was a good start, but now she had to get a Cup to cement her legacy outside of Quinn Cundertol’s shadow on Bakura. This had to be her shot, and no matter what the team did, Jet was right. Briar Adama had to try and win the situation, no matter what happened on the field of play.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  12. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    And my post from earlier that I didn't get up.

Gark awoke slowly, his eyes starting to open in the dark. He knew that he was in his bed, but it felt like he had been asleep a long time. In times like this, one felt very tired, felt like you hadn’t slept at all. It was weird how sleep worked – get lots of sleep, yet feel like it wasn’t enough. In his case, he had slept quite a while, but he still feel sleepy. Another hour or two of rest would be nice.

As he looked around the room, he tried to think about what he had been dreaming of. It seemed so real, what his mind had been providing for him as midnight entertainment. A lot had happened in those moments. And it all seemed so real.

He got out of bed and went to the refresher, and then went to check in on the girls. When he opened the door, though, he was in for a rude surprise. There was no child in the room, no sign of child occupation in the room, just stuff. Now Gark knew that he was tired, and it likely was making him confused as well. So he went to check on the room addition, but once again was met without the extra room. The house looked just like it had many years earlier, before the girls were born. Gark then went to check out Ronny’s room, but when he peeked inside, all he could see was Mykal’s head as he slept. It was the weekend, so the teen was still in bed. Galin’s room was the same, but the boy looked younger. His room was decorated like it was earlier in his life.

Now Gark was really wondering what was going on. Sleep didn’t matter to him anymore, and he went into the kitchen to reflect on what was happening. He poured a bowl of cereal and began to eat, thinking of what was going on. Something didn’t feel right about all this; what was going on?

“Couldn’t sleep?” came a familiar voice. Gark looked up to see Me’lin standing there in her nightgown. She seemed . . . older, somehow. Or, if anything, as old as she had been at this point in their history together.

“Tough wake-up,” Gark said. “It’s the funniest thing. I go to check on the girls, and their rooms aren’t there. And Ronny isn’t here, either.”

“Wait, what?” Me’lin asked. “What girls?”

“You know, the girls. Your daughters?” Gark pried.

“We don’t have any daughters, Gark,” Me’lin said. “We have sons, but no girls. Are you feeling alright?”

Gark was stymied. What was Me’lin hinting at? Of course they had daughters together . . .

“You don’t remember?” he finally asked.

“How can I remember something that we’ve never had?” Me’lin asked, annoyed. “You tell me what’s going on.”

“I don’t know, it’s just that . . .” Gark then stopped mid-sentence. Had everything, the girls, the coaching job, losing Andromeda, Ronny, been one large dream? Had he gone through several years of imagined life while conked out in sleep?

“What is it?”

“What’s my job?” Gark blurted out.

“You’re a CEO, silly. Don’t play games with me. I know how to win them.”

“Andromeda?”

“Of course, sweetie. You don’t remember?”

“What year is it?” Gark asked.

“The same year as it was yesterday, ’78,” Me’lin said. “Are you playing games, Gark? Not this early in the morning, please. I’m too tired to play.”

“It was a dream,” Gark said. “Just one big dream.”

“What was?” Me’lin asked.

“I dreamed that it was 283, the Senators had been sold after I was forced out of Andromeda leadership, we adopted a boy, Mykal was playing college Limmie, and we had two daughters.”

“Sounds like a very involved dream,” Me’lin said. “I mean, I like the sound of the having daughters part, but it seems like you had a tough night. You sound rather confused.”

“I guess I’m just tired,” Gark said. “I’ll go back to bed.” He got up and put his cereal bowl in the sink.

“You do that,” Me’lin said. “I know you need your rest.”

Gark’s head hit the pillow when he went back to bed, but he was still confused. Everything he had thought he had experienced had just been one huge dream. In some ways it was nice, but in others, he felt a bit disappointed. Then again, the house was a lot less crazy with just one child to deal with, plus a well-meaning teen. It wasn’t like Gark had been planning for daughters anyways . . .

And there you have it, everything was just a giant dream. :p Looks like Galin's priority number one again. :D

13. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Kyril opened the door to his home and set his bags down on the floor. The team had come in that night from Bakura after the rough loss at the hands of the Miners, and they had a whole day in town before flying to Rydonni Prime to play the Monarchs. Since it was a short flight, there was little reason to go ahead of time. Besides, it really wasn’t safe to go to Rydonni Prime, either, with their insecure governmental situation still hanging over everything. So getting there in a hurry was not a priority for the team. On the contrary, taking their time would likely be a boost for their chances.

“Kyril, darling, is that you?” came Mirik’s voice from the other room.

“Of course it’s me,” Kyril said. “Fresh from the slaughter on Bakura.”

“You can’t win them all,” Mirik said as she came around the corner, drink in hand. Being pregnant meant she couldn’t drink alcohol, which would have been a preference at this point. She missed her wine, so the birth couldn’t come soon enough in some ways. “Besides, you were hardly the first coach to get sucked in by their appearance.”

“Those little Bimms were tough,” Kyril said, collapsing on the couch. “They destroyed us, so we have a long ways to go.”

“You still have three games left to play, so there is still time,” Mirik pointed out. “But the margin for error is slim, love. You need to win this week to have a good shot at the playoffs.”

“If we had won this week, we would be two up, and a chance to clinch next week . . . ugh,” Kyril said. “I don’t understand how this team operates. They look good one week and crap the next. It’s a cycle, Mirik, and I don’t know what to do about it. It’s not like the talent isn’t there. But the effort isn’t always there.”

“What counts is that you are still in position to make a run should things fall right. We didn’t always do the best on Ylesia, but we made it work. And this is a whole lot more stable than that was,” Mirik pointed out, sipping her drink.

“I feel like there might be some changes coming up,” Kyril said. “We’re not quite ready to take on the pressure of the postseason, but then the personnel might change, and then I’m not sure where we stand. So this is a big deal right now.”

“You had better not be giving me a sob story,” Mirik said. “I don’t want to hear that. You’re stronger than that. Just use the cycle to your advantage and club the Monarchs next week. That will put an end to your fears.”

“How are you holding up?” Kyril asked, changing the subject.

“It’s going,” Mirik admitted. “Work is rough, because these cases are draining me. And the mood swings are tough to deal with, because the kiddo isn’t exactly interested in letting mommy work . . .”

“Having second thoughts about this?”

“Yes,” Mirik said. “But I’ll make do. We wanted this, so I’ll see it through. Besides, it doesn’t hurt when the judges give me a bit of an advantage because of it.”

“You sound happy that they do that.”

“Makes my job easier. And it’s not an easy job, so anything I can get, I will take. How’s Jenica holding up?”

“She’s not getting a lot of regular playing time. I feel bad for her, since I’m her father, but I want to do what is best for this team. She’s a reserve, and I need my starters out there. How would you handle it?”

“I would do what is necessary for the team. Besides, she has more time in her career. She is getting her first shot at the League this season, so she can compete harder next year and try to get more time. But it’s a learning curve.”

“Could you do that to our new son or daughter, though?” Kyril asked. “Jenica has grown so distant from me . . . and I promised to keep her close. And that means letting her do her own thing.”

“Kyril, you need to understand that you are the coach. This is not Little League, this is the Elite League. You are making huge decisions every time you make a substitution. Your daughter needs to understand that, and you also have to make peace with it. She is not ready yet.”

“But I can’t let her rot on the bench, either. She needs playing time, time I just don’t have.”

“That’s what the Futures League is for,” Mirik said. “If you can’t give her regular playing time, send her down, let her keep working on her technique.”

“She earned a spot in camp, I can’t send her down,” Kyril said. “She would never forgive me.”

“She has to understand that you are her coach as well as her father. And you are doing things in the best interest of the team. If she isn’t playing much, and you feel it necessary, recommend that she be sent down for more regular playing time.”

“That wouldn’t be easy, on her or me to tell her that she’s being demoted.”

“Try being pregnant. It’s not so easy, either. Love, I trust you to make the right decision. But you need to know that sending her down might be in the best interest of the team if you feel she isn’t worthy of rotational time.”

“She made this team, so I will hold onto her for now. She has to earn that playing time, though.”

“Always thinking like a GM,” Kyril commented.

“I was a GM once, and I will always be,” Mirik said, sipping her drink again. “And you need to trust my judgment. If she isn’t up to snuff, that’s enough for you to make a move. It’s for the good of the team.”

“She’s not playing badly.”

“Then hold onto her and don’t worry about her playing time. She will have to make do.”

“Isn’t that where we started?”

“It is. But you refused to agree with me the first time, so we had to argue in a circle.”

“Stop making so much sense!” Kyril moaned.

“I’ll consider it a victory,” Mirik said, crossing her legs. “Now, you have a game to prepare for this week.”

jcgoble3 likes this.
  14. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    “I can’t watch,” Me’lin said as she covered her eyes. The other team had a fastbreak attempt, and Galin was the only one back for his team. He was hopelessly outnumbered on the break, and his mother had a sinking feeling that this would not end well for her firstborn.

“Pick out the play and jump it!” Gark yelled at his son.

Of course, that was of little help, as Galin had no chance on this one. The other team got an easy goal when Galin guessed wrong and missed entirely, leaving the goal wide-open for the other side. It was the kind of play that any defender dreaded, and Gark wondered if Galin really enjoyed playing corner back in the first place. After all, he wanted to be a forward, and the only reason he was playing defense was because his father had told him that he should give it a try. Was it time to let Galin play forward and see how he did?

“You know, Gark, I don’t think Galin’s cut out for this game,” Me’lin said. “And it hurts to see him try so hard when he knows he isn’t very good, and he probably is beating himself up now.”

“I think you might be right,” Gark said, settling back onto the hard bleacher seat. “He’s just not athletic, just like me.”

“You made it work, though.”

“Who says Galin can’t?” Gark asked. “Maybe what he needs is a change of position?”

“But Gark, he just doesn’t have that athletic talent he needs to really play well. I know that we’re encouraging him to play sports, but I don’t want to crush his dreams. He’ll figure it out eventually that he just isn’t cut out for this.”

“I’m surprised you’re the one making the judgment,” Gark said snidely.

“I’m afraid for his well-being. If he doesn’t want to play that position, what says he’ll feel any better at another position? Think about it; he’s not athletic, he doesn’t play defense well, and he seems lost all the time. I think it might be time we ask him if he wants to keep playing.”

“Of course he will. Something about playing in a shadow has to do with it,” Gark commented.

“But you didn’t play. He wants to play.”

“Still had a position in the Elite League. Nothing he does will ever take my accomplishments away from me, and very likely he will be in my shadow his whole life. This game just magnifies it.”

“So what do we do?” Me’lin asked.

“We need to talk to him,” Gark said. “You’re right, we have to know if his head’s in this thing. If it is, we can work with it. If it’s not, we should let him walk away from the game and go into something else. He has lots of time left to figure out what he wants to do in life, and we should let him be free to make that decision.

“Hi there, champ,” Gark said after the game. It was a disastrous loss for Galin’s squad, yet another losing effort in what was shaping up to be a lost season.

“I suck,” Galin said.

“Don’t say that about yourself,” Gark said. “But maybe you’re not cut out for this game. I’ve noticed that you’re really struggling with the game in front of you, and it makes your mother and I wonder if you want to continue with Limmie. And be honest, please. It’s fine if you don’t want to play; we won’t force you to keep playing if you don’t want to.”

“But Dad, I wanna play!” Galin exclaimed.

Gark knew this would come. He had to find a good way to keep this conversation going. “I know, sport, but you look less than enthusiastic to be playing. We’re wondering if you’re having any fun, or if you’re just feeling like you have to play because of me.”

“I wanna play because I wanna play,” Galin said.

“So what’s the problem? You just don’t have fun. We’ve seen it every week.”

“I suck,” Galin said, his eyes downcast. “I’m not big, tall, or good. I just suck.”

“And that’s going to be how it is, kid,” Gark said. “You’re never going to be tall, strong, or the best athlete. Look at me. I’m not athletic, but it’s how I used what skills I do have that made me. You need to find out if your heart is in this thing, or if you want to walk away. And there is no shame in walking away after the season if you feel that is the right thing to do.”

“Teach me how to be better,” Galin said after a pause.

“What do you mean?”

“C’mon, Dad, teach me how to be a better player! You coached a ton, just coach me!” Galin pleaded. “Please!”

“Do you really want to play corner back?”

“Not really . . .”

“Would you rather be a forward?” Gark asked.

“I don’t know . . .”

“Well, I’ll make you a deal. Work with me to be a corner back, and we’ll see if it’s right for you. If not, then we’ll see about forward. But you have to promise me to never give up. I am going to work you hard, if this is what you want. You’re not an athlete, just like me, and that means you will have to work harder than everyone else in order to accomplish things. But I know you have it in you.”

“Deal!” Galin said. At least he sounded excited now. Gark wondered if he would be excited after the rigors of the training would begin. He wasn’t planning on running his son ragged, but it was time to teach the kid about work ethic on the field. He had it in the classroom, but if he wanted to play Limmie, it was time that he either found that next gear and started to believe in himself or realize this wasn’t for him and bow out. Galin was at the crossroads now, and only he could determine how dedicated he was to playing this game.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  15. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Superbothan: Origins hadn’t exactly been what Gark had expected it to be when he finally saw it at the red carpet premiere. Undoubtedly there would be screencaps of him during the show looking less than impressed that would soon be spread all over the HoloNet, leading to rumors that he secretly resented the Holo being made with his likeness in it. The truth was that he didn’t quite feel like it fit what he had done in the suit, but that was to be expected, he guessed. The screenwriters didn’t know what it was like to do all those things, and this was entertainment, after all. It was never like reality.

But the opportunity had been there for his family. Although he didn’t quite like the Holo, Galin apparently loved it. The young boy had been awestruck by the fanfare of the premiere event, getting to meet the stars of the Holo, including the up-and-coming Bothan actor who had portrayed Gark. Me’lin had also found this to be a nice event, as she had pulled out her finest dress for the event and wowed the audience with her appearance. She had pulled out all the stops to “doll up” for the event, because she wanted to give her husband as much credibility as possible, as well as put on a good face for the masses. After all, what were superstars without their gorgeous wives? Cecilia and Aileen had not gone to the premiere for obvious reasons, but Ronny had liked his experience. It was his first time being part of the S’rily family legacy, and although some would likely question why he was there (“he’s not a real S’rily”, the tabloids would likely argue”), it didn’t matter much to him. He was soaking it all in, although Me’lin had made him tie his long hair back to look a bit more presentable.

The event seemingly went on forever. There was the red carpet portion where the stars were paraded around for the cameras and masses, then there were the interviews. The interviews were always the weirdest part of these things; the questions were fake, the sincerity usually even more so. For some, they loved this kind of atmosphere, but others like Gark felt somewhat uncomfortable doing this. He wasn’t in the Holo, just the inspiration. The interviewers asked him the usual gamut of questions about his background as Superbothan and if he felt excited. It was a real rat-race, and Gark didn’t like it. But Galin loved every bit of it. When he was asked questions about Superbothan, he got a chance to show his excitement. After all, his father was famous, and now that fame was on the big screen. That was huge for the boy. Finally, there was the presentation of the Holo itself, which was a big event. The theater was packed, and it was an experience.

When the family got back in the speeder to go home, Me’lin had to ask a series of questions. Finally she asked Gark how he felt about the whole thing.

“Wasn’t what I expected,” he responded.

“Did you expect it to be as you lived it? It’s entertainment. They take their own liberties.”

“I thought you would feel offended by me having a human female co-star in that one,” Gark said.

“I know I should feel offended, but I really don’t. After all, I’ve got the real prize right here,” Me’lin said, poking Gark in the shoulder. “No need to wait three years for the sequel to see if he gets the girl. I know he already has.”

“You’ve got that right,” Gark said, a smirk now on his face.

At least those words by his wife had made his night, Gark thought as they drove away.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  16. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    “Come on in,” Kyril said as he sat in the small chair in the office. To his surprise, when he turned around, he saw his daughter coming into the room. “Jenica,” he said.

“Daddy,” Jenica said as she sat down. “I have something I need to tell you.”

“What is it, baby girl?” Kyril asked, a bit of concern in his voice.

“I’m . . . afraid . . .”

“Afraid of what?” Kyril asked, bewildered.

“I’m afraid that I’m letting you down,” Jenica said. “I have had a horrible season. I’ve only scored one point all year, and I am letting the team down.”

“But you’ve passed the ball well . . .”

“I turned it over three times today,” Jenica said, looking down. “I know you want to demote me.”

“Why would I ever do something like that?” Kyril asked.

“If I were you, I would send me down.”

“Stop with the nonsense, Jenica. Please. Be smart. I won’t send you down.”

“But after all I have done to hurt this team . . .?”

“Jenica, I promised that I would look over you as I should have for all these years. I will give you a chance.”

“Management isn’t so sure,” Jenica said, looking back at her father. “I hear Ms. Adama wants to send me down as soon as this week.”

“Where did you learn that?”

“Coach mentioned it to me.”

“Which one?”

“Coach Sen. She apparently was told the news yesterday.”

“Why would they want to send you down? I should be allowed to look into this myself and have a say in what is done.”

“Maybe it’s for the best,” Jenica said. “Maybe I’m not cut out for this game. I tried my best, daddy. I really did. But maybe it’s time to move on after this season.”

“Give it another offseason, and then another season, baby girl. Then see where you are. You have so much talent, and yet you act like you have none. Do you forget how well you performed in camp?”

“That was camp. This is different.”

“But why does it have to be?”

“Because I don’t know if I want to do this anymore,” Jenica said. “That’s what I need to tell you. Conar proposed. I accepted. We’re going to get married this offseason.”

That was a bombshell for Kyril. He hadn’t known that his own daughter was engaged to one of his other players? How could he not have known this?

“Why did you keep this news from me until now?”

“Because I thought you were too busy with the team to listen to me,” Jenica said. “I know how this team drains your time, and you have Ms. Chal back at home . . . my life doesn’t seem that important next to the team. I understand that, so I didn’t tell you.”

“Baby girl, you were wrong in not telling me. It’s wonderful that you’re going to be married. Marriage is an amazing journey, but you also have to be strong. I just hope that Conar is the right fit for you.”

“He is, daddy. I know it.”

“Then good luck to you two,” Kyril said. “I will make sure that I attend the wedding, no matter what.”

“But I am dropping out of Limmie after this season if I can’t get it together,” Jenica said. “Conar and I want to start a family, and I am planning to get pregnant during the offseason.”

“That’s a huge step, baby girl,” Kyril said. “But one I can understand. I see now that I was a fool for not being there for you, and now we can’t go back. This would be a huge change for both of us, and for Conar. You have to be strong. Mirik is going through that right now, and as she can attest, being pregnant is not easy. But if you are strong, you will make it. I believe in you, Jenica. But give me some strong games down the stretch, and then you can decide whether or not you want to continue. I can’t make that decision for you.”

“Thanks, daddy.”

“Anytime, baby girl.”

jcgoble3 likes this.
  17. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    His college career was over.

Mykal hadn’t really thought of what this would mean for his life before this season, but it had constantly dogged him during the season. His senior year had been a tough one for the team, but he had once again been a star player, earning All-Conference honors for the third time in his tenure with the Runnin’ Rebels of the University of Dantooine. Without Buzz Lightyeer, the half back who had helped him on defense and allowed the squad to make a deep playoff run the prior year, things hadn’t panned out well this year. But it had also shown that Myakl was a solid player in his own right; he had proven scouts correct that his athleticism could transfer over to the professional game.

The question was what he wanted to do now. He would be finishing his degree at the end of the year, just like his adoptive parents wanted, and then he didn’t know what would come after that. He hadn’t given it much thought, but now that Limmie season was gone, he was stuck in the mire of wondering what was to come next. Was professional Limmie in his future? The scouts certainly thought so, but they wanted him to join their teams. That was a given. But was the game for him?

He had called home a few times during the season to check in on things, but he hadn’t asked the couple who had taken him in for advice on what he should do. He figured that things would magically happen and a path would be laid before him, but it wasn’t so simple. He was stuck in a hard place, unsure of where to go now that his college career had concluded. Most of his teammates likely wouldn’t make the pro ranks, but he had a possible future in the pros.

So that was the reason why he was calling today. He wasn’t quite sure what time it was back on Coruscant, but he hoped it was late enough that Gark was home from work. He wanted to ask his adoptive parents for advice on what his next step should be. The communicator rang several times, but was finally picked up.

“Myakl!” Me’lin exclaimed when she found out who was calling. “It’s been weeks! How are you holding up?”

“Fine,” Myakl said. “I wanted to call you to ask something.”

“Let me get Gark on the line,” Me’lin said. She ran the connector so that Gark could get in on the call, and finally the Bothan picked up.

“What seems to be the trouble?” the Bothan asked.

“I want to know if I should go pro,” Mykal asked.

“That’s ultimately up to you,” Me’lin commented. “It’s your decision, Mykal. You shouldn’t need to ask us what is best for you.”

“But the scouts want me to enter the Draft. Is that a good thing?” Mykal asked.

“Mike, you know what the Draft is. You’ve been there before. You know what happens there. It would be a big step for you.”

“What other options do I have?”

“Your father will make a pitch to you to skip the Draft and sign with the Senators, although if it were up to me, I would recommend that you declare for the Draft. Then you can truly follow your dreams.”

“Why can’t he do that with us?” Gark asked his wife.

“Because then anyone can draft him.”

“But only 6 or 7 teams will likely Draft this year, so it’s not like all 12 teams can pick him up.”

“But it’s better than just signing with your team because you guilt him into it.”

“There is no way I am guilt-riding Mike to sign with us,” Gark said bluntly. “It’s his decision. I will just say that we can offer you a contract out of college. It would require you to skip the Draft and sign directly with us when it’s OK for us to do so.”

“You need to make a formal pitch, just like any other team,” Me’lin said sternly. “Mykal did not join this family just to sign with the family team. The choice ultimately rests with him.”

“Mike, when you get home after this semester, I will give you the sales pitch for the team,” Gark said. “But I will be doing it as the team ambassador, not as your adoptive father. I want you to keep in mind that I will be making the same pitch to other players, and that I will keep your relation to this family out of any contract negotiations. This decision is up to you.”

That just left Mykal with more questions than answers. He would have a lot to think about in the coming months.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  18. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Mykal gathered his bags and walked off the ship into the terminal. It was busy as usual during the middle of the day at the spaceport on the Galactic Capital, and Mykal was quickly surrounded by all sorts of beings. His fellow passengers on the flight from the Outer Rim were now dispersing into the crowd of anonymous strangers, and he felt a little lost. So he kept walking until he reached the security checkpoint.

And then he saw the sign.

It was very obvious that Galin had written the words on the sign, because they were a little crooked. But Mykal didn’t care; he was home. The rest of the family was there with Galin as the boy continued to hold the sign up in the air. Mykal went over to the assembled group, where he quickly got a hug from Me’lin. “So good to see you!” she exclaimed.

“Good to be home,” Mykal said.

“Mike, good to see you,” Gark said, also hugging his adopted son. It was a bear hug that reminded Gark of when Dirxx had done the same to him, but he didn’t care. Mykal was home.

“I graduated, just like you wanted me to,” Mykal said. He pulled a frame out of his bag and showed everyone his degree.

“That’s awesome,” Me’lin said. “You did it, Mykal. You graduated college, and we couldn’t be more proud of you.”

“It means that he’s another one in the line in our family to get a degree. We have to set a standard,” Gark said. “Try to send all our kids to college and have them graduate.”

“Given what Mykal has gone through, I think he’s worked the hardest to get his.”

“Hi Mike,” came a voice from behind him, and Mykal turned around to see Kortney standing there. She had finished up at UC Bella Vistal the week prior and had come home. She had wanted to see Mykal at the spaceport.

It was an interesting ride back to the house, because Mykal had all sorts of stories to tell about his senior year at University of Dantooine. He had certainly been a busy man, playing Limmie, going to class, studying, as well as participating in a few student organizations. “I wanted to do everything,” he admitted.

As soon as they got home, Mykal realized that he had walked into a surprise party. A lot of his friends were here, as well as the neighbors in the Chambers-Vayne clan, and some other assorted family friends. Everyone was here to see the conquering hero return home, and it was quite the set-up. Mykal hadn’t been expecting it, but his adoptive parents had been planning for a month on how to pull this off. They wanted Mykal to truly feel that he had accomplished something. He had certainly been at a disadvantage in academics when they had adopted him, and playing Limmie while being a student was tough. But he had gutted it out in college for four years, and now it was his chance to relax and celebrate his accomplishments.

“So, Mike, you going pro?” Doog, a former Wylsonridge player, asked.

“I don’t know,” Mykal said with a shrug. “I haven’t thought that far ahead yet.”

“Are you going to get the Senator pitch?”

“Probably. I’ll listen,” Mykal said.

“Of course you will,” Gark said jokingly. “Seriously, though, Mike, take some time off before you decide whether or not to go pro. You have time before the Draft to make up your mind. I can tell you that HSN has you on the Big Board list already.”

“Really?”

“Really.”

And then there was Kortney. She had plenty of stories to tell about her time at UCBV, but there was one thing she said. “You know, Mike, I couldn’t really get a boyfriend there. Not when I knew I still had you.”

“That’s great,” Mykal said. “So are we back together?”

“Yep,” Kortney said, smiling.

When Mykal retreated to the kitchen to grab a drink, Me’lin was there. “So, I hear that you and Ms. Stammish are back together,” the Twi’lek said.

“Yeah, I think it’s great,” Mykal said, nodding.

“So, when are you going to propose?” Me’lin asked.

“I haven’t thought that far ahead,” Mykal said.

“Mykal, I’ve known you for years, and I can tell that you’ve found the right girl. I think you should make sure to keep her before she can get away,” Me’lin said.

“I don’t want to rush it.”

“It’s your decision, Mykal. But, as your mother, I think you two are good together.”

“I want to think it over some.”

“Yes, you definitely need to. Maybe I’m just forward,” Me’lin said, chuckling. “Your father and I never really dated, but when he proposed, I knew it was the right decision. I want you to be happy, Mykal. It’s your life, and you should make the most of it.”

“I’ll try.”

“Welcome home, son,” Me’lin said with a smile before she left the room. Mykal collapsed into a chair and drank his soda. He needed it.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  19. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I think Trieste will find this interesting.

“Mike, I am here to pass along the interest that the Coruscant Senators have in your talents coming out of college,” Gark said as he stared down Mykal across the room from him.

“You don’t have to act like you don’t know me,” Mykal said. The two were going through the sales pitch phase, with Gark acting as the GM, and Mykal being the player who was receiving the pitch. The Bothan had even dressed in a suit, as much as he hated it. Anything he could do to make this less personal for Mykal, the better. He was here to make a pitch, not try to pass on fatherly advice.

“Mike, please just play along. Your mother is right; I have to do things the hard way to try and convince you to sign with the club rather than go through the Draft,” Gark said, sighing. “And she knows that better than I do.”

“I’m interested, but the Draft seems like a good option, too.”

“I know it is. It depends on what your dreams are. If you want to leave things up to chance where you land, then you should declare for the Draft. But Mike, I know you personally, and I’ve seen you play. You can play for your hometown team, represent everyone from Coruscant, and continue this family’s legacy, if you sign with the Senators.”

“Couldn’t you draft me?” Mykal asked.

“We could, but it wouldn’t be a sure bet that we have the opportunity to draft you. Besides, I’m not running the team personnel, just doing the managerial things. No guarantee we even take a look at you, this being the GM’s call. I want you to be happy, Mike, and I think you will fit in well with the Senators.”

“What’s the offer?”

“This offer came from Mrs. Adama’s office, not mine, and thus it’s not exactly what I would do for you,” Gark said. “She is offering five years at 650k base for the first two years, and then it will go up to over a million for the last two seasons. I think it’s somewhere around 1.5 million for that last season.”

“I can make more money elsewhere,” Mykal commented.

“I know you can. But that’s what the team is willing to offer you,” Gark said. “But they can also offer you something else that other teams can’t. You can play here at home, and be a legend in your own right. You won’t be stuck in my shadow; you can be your own man, Mike. And that’s a chance that I think you would be wise to consider.”

“I want to think it over,” Mykal said.

“Of course. Mike, that’s what you need to do. This is a big decision for you,” Gark said. “If it was up to me, I would offer you more, somewhere comparable to the numbers given to players who declare for the Draft. The Mock Draft thinks you will be a second or third-round pick, and those players usually get less than first-rounders. Besides, they usually don’t get a chance to play right away. They’re usually farmed out for a year or two.”

“But you don’t have space for a full back, either. I would have to be developed,” Mykal said.

“I think we would make room for a player like you, Mike,” Gark said. “I’ve scouted you better than any other team could possibly achieve, mostly because I helped teach you how to play the game. And I know your strengths and weaknesses like the back of my hand. If you sign with us, I can work with you.”

“But wouldn’t there be staff to help me work on my game?”

“Of course. But I’ve been a coach at this level, as you well know, and I think deep down that you are unsure of what your true capabilities are. I know that if you sign with us, that I can work with you to help unlock that potential. You can do this, Mike.”

“I am interested in signing here, because I want to play here and make you proud of me.”

“Mike, no matter what you do, as long as you go about it with conviction and do your best, we’re already proud,” Gark said. “You came in as a teen who didn’t feel like he had any skills and was running away from everything. Now I sit across from you giving you a sales pitch to sign with the team, because you have developed a strong sense of self and have shaped yourself into a fine young man. But this is ultimately your choice. We can’t tell you what to do with your life. At some point, we have to let you do your own thing, and follow your own path.”

“I understand,” Mike said, but he looked down at the floor as he said it.

“And don’t feel like you will disappoint us if you don’t sign with the Senators,” Gark said. “If you decide to do the Draft route, we will be there with you in the Draft hall and give you support. That’s why we’re here; it’s what we signed up for when we adopted you. We didn’t know that would come to you being a hot Limmie prospect, but all the same, we still care for your well-being. And we respect your decision, whatever it may be.”

“I want to stay home, I really do,” Mykal said.

“That’s very logical, Mike,” Gark commented. “It’s why I never really wanted to go anywhere else in my career. Yes I opened the door to outside offers, but I don’t think I would have done well elsewhere in the league. It just wouldn’t have been the same, and now that I think back on it, things would not have worked out. So I am glad I stayed here, but you need to make your own decision. How much does playing on your home planet mean to you?”

“Compared to Dantooine, a lot. But it does mean a ton to me,” Mykal said.

“Sign with us, and you can make a name for yourself here,” Gark said, trying to sell his pitch.

“What does mom think?”

“She wants you to go where you want to, not feel forced into this. But I can only act as a parent here, not a GM. The decision is still up to you in the end.”

“What do I get if I stay here?”

“You get to be near us and your siblings, first and foremost. Second, you can play for a team that made the playoffs this season. Third, the Senator brand is still a major force in this league. Being a Senator means something, Mike. It means following in the footsteps of champions. You could be our next Shev Fil’yer.”

“Really?”

“Really. Shev was a lot of things, but mostly importantly, he was talented. And you have the potential in you to give him a run for his money. But that only happens if you work your tail off. If you don’t work, nothing gets done, and no matter where you are, you won’t succeed. You need to want things, Mykal, and that means hard work. It’s the same in the Elite League as it was in college, on and off the field.”

“I understand.”

“Besides, isn’t Ms. Stammish interested in staying here?” Gark asked.

“Maybe. I haven’t really thought about it.”

“Come on, Mike. Think about it. Your mother and I agree that she is the right fit for you, and that you may someday decide that you want to settle down and start a family. And what better place to do that than here on Coruscant? Personally, I think that should factor in to your decision.”

“But isn’t that going too far ahead?”

“Mike, you have to trust yourself in this process. Where do you see yourself in a few years down the road? Is that Mykal Oha feeling alone, or does he feel like he belongs? I want you to feel like you belong wherever you end up, and, knowing your background, you would feel more at home here than off on some rural planet far from the action.”

“I went to U of D. That was out of the way.”

“You made a decision, Mike, and you stuck with it. Now you need to do the same for your pro career, if that is indeed what you want to do.”

“So you think I could walk away?”

“That would be entirely up to you.”

“I want to play pro ball. It’s a dream of mine.”

“Then you should follow your dreams. It’s up to you how you get there.”

“I need to think it over.”

“Then do so,” Gark said. “The offer is on the table until you tell me it’s not going to work for you.”

“OK.”

“Mike, it’s an amazing opportunity,” Kortney said over the comm. channel. “Think of how you would feel going into the stadium and playing in front of all those fans.”

“But I could be drafted and play there.”

“We both know that. But your father gave you an opportunity that you should consider. I want you to consider it. Please, do it for me, as a friend.”

“But it’s up to me.”

“I know. Hey, in other news, I’m thinking of trying out for the Senator dance team next season.”

“Really?” Mykal asked.

“Yeah. Crazy, isn’t it? But I want to give it one more try. Who knows, maybe I could make the cheerleading squad,” Kortney continued.

“That would be great,” Mykal said.

“And it’d be nice if you were playing for the same team,” Kortney replied. “I know the Draft calls to you, but I think it’d be the chance of a lifetime.” What was left unsaid was Kortney’s curiosity to know if Mykal would someday propose to her. After all, starting a family was an interest of hers at some point in the future.

“So do you think I should accept those terms?”

“Up to you. But I would recommend you do so.”

“Is that a serious question?” Galin asked when Mykal brought it up. “Come on, Mike, take the deal! Dad’s giving you a chance to be a Senator!”

“It’s not so easy,” Mykal said.

“Playing in the League is my dream, but I don’t think I’ll ever get there,” Galin said. “I’m not good enough. But you are. And I want to have my brother be an awesome player for my team. Then you’d be a hero for me. Maybe not as much as Superbothan, but still a hero.”

“Mykal, it’s up to you,” Me’lin said as she fed Aileen with the bottle. “Your father gave you terms of a possible contract, but I think he might be a bit more flexible. Then again, if Mrs. Adama is only interested in those terms, then you will have to take those or leave it.”

“So should I go to the Draft?”

“We will support you the best we can no matter where you end up. I know your father and brother will feel disappointed if you go elsewhere, but your happiness is what matters most. Everything else is secondary.”

“What about you?”

“Mykal, I worked for the organization, but as your mother, I feel obligated to inform you that I cannot tell you how to live your life from now on. Besides, I will buy your jersey whenever it gets released, no matter what colors or logo may be on it. I will own it because you are my son, and that’s special. I will wear it, even if it’s a Miners or Smugglers jersey. You’ve earned the right to be in this position, and you are the best arbiter of your own fate.”

“You really think I’ll get my jersey sold in stores?”

“I know you have the potential. Besides, at least now I don’t need to buy one in maternity size,” Me’lin said, a small smile forming on her face. “It will be easier to purchase one that way.”

Mykal sat on his bed and thought. What was the best course of action? Would he fare better in the Draft or taking the risk that the contract offered to him would work out better? Was he in this for money or for the chance to play pro ball?

Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  20. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    [​IMG]

There is much thinking going on...

21. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    When CorTech had won their first Super 16 title in over 80 years, it was cause for celebration all over Forrest Heights. The Limmie team had done something that hadn’t been done in many lifetimes, bring the title home. And the credit went to first-year head coach Gayla Renhorn, the former Mean Green standout and former assistant coach. In just one year, she had taken a team that many had thought overachieved and led them to not just the Super 16 playoffs, but also the conference title. That would have been enough for her stock to have been boosted. But her team wasn’t done; they had defeated their Bak10 foes in the Carnation Bowl, and then proceeded to reach the Final Eight before falling in a tough OT loss. It was a heartbreaker to the fans back at home, but it had been a major accomplishment.

And, to Gark, it meant that what he had done for the team had borne fruit.

For he had recruited many of the players who had made an impact on that team. The sophomore class was one that many scouts would be watching in the coming years for Draft stock. Dak Fallcrest, the star half back, Tyla, the solid midfielder, Wahay Contar, the rough-and-tumble full back . . . all would likely be draft picks in the league at some point. They had the talent to make it to the pros. CorTech was finally back on the map as a Limmie program; they had never been a real power, but now they had momentum.

This was the background for that day, when Gark went to the office as normal. The season wasn’t over yet, with the Senators making it to the Conference Finals. There was a lot to be done on his end, while the team was on its way to Bakura. They had a chance to play for a Galactic Cup, something they hadn’t done in a decade. Something they hadn’t done since he was at the helm.

There was a message on his datapad, and he went to check it. Contar, the sophomore full back, had sent him a message. It claimed that the Feeorin player would leave college only under the condition that the Senators sign him to a contract. Gark wasn’t sure if the player was serious, so he put in a call. Sure enough, Contar was dead serious about his offer. “I want to play for the team my aunt played for. And I want to play for you, even if you aren’t the coach,” the recruit said.

That made Gark’s day. The only problem was trying to convince those who had management positions and were dealing with personnel to make the kid an offer. Briar was gone with the team, so he had to go to Adanna Inviere-Biskis, the former Miner and Senator standout. The Hapan put together a memo for an offer that would eventually be sent to the GM’s office, but that was all she could do for the Bothan.

Then there was the congratulatory message that Gark sent to Gayla. “Told you that you were capable,” the message read in part. Indeed, the fiery former midfielder had done an impressive job guiding her young team that far in the playoffs. There was no shame in losing in the round of eight; they had gone so much farther than even the more optimistic fans could have hoped for.

And, in a way, Gark wondered if he could have led that team to the same level of success had he not come back to the Senator organization. But this was working out well for him, so he pushed that thought out of his mind. He had helped build the CorTech team, and that was enough for him. In some fashion, he would get some credit for recruiting those players. It wasn’t like he had coached them this season, but he had brought them into the fold and helped groom his successor. She had succeeded with his help, and that was a good sign for him. It meant that, despite his distance from personnel decisions in his current role, he still had a little bit of the “Magic Bothan” left in him.

And that was pretty important to him.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  22. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Briar knew as soon as the game ended on Bakura that she was now going into a very difficult situation. The loss against her former team was one thing, but that wasn’t the problem. Most teams would just lick their wounds and move on to next year. That’s what she normally would have done. Unfortunately, she wasn’t in that good a position right now.

That was due to Free Agency.

She was staring at at least a dozen players on expiring deals, including stars Christine Gamble and Jayla Leed. Others were solid role players like Zen Keisel and Jamee Meels, and Briar had no doubt that she would lose quite a few of them to other teams hungry to horn in on the Senator talent. It was the kind of scenario where a GM should have felt like something was being built. But Briar understood that her job this offseason wasn’t to keep building, but to simply keep as much of this thing as she could together.

As soon as free agency opened, five players filed their papers and were now available for anyone to sign. That included both Meels and Keisel, the loss of both would cost the Senators two starting defenders. If Gamble joined them, the GM would then be faced with replacing half of her defensive unit. That would be a major pain, not just because Briar would have to build things up again, but all the momentum gained during the latter portion of this season would be lost. Gamble would be the biggest blow, but losing a lot of talent anywhere on this team could sabotage everything she had worked towards. She had been nominated for the Grames Award this season, but if she was forced to rebuild this team during the offseason, she would be guaranteed a win of that Award if her team won five games the next season. The situation was that dire.

The GM looked over the roster once more, trying to make sense of the situation. She was losing two additional players to retirement, Amasova and Lopaki. Amasova wasn’t a shocker; she had run her course in the league, and had provided a good spark for the Senators in her time there. But all good things came to an end, and she had decided to walk. As for Lopaki, Briar wasn’t sure what the motivation was for quitting, but the head coach of the team would likely have an answer for Briar’s questions. After all, who would know that player better than her father? But, whatever the answer, Briar had lost two additional forwards with those changes. Add in a player like Harper Rice, who had filed for free agency, and that cost the Senators quite a bit of depth in the Front 6.

Briar’s datapad chirped, and she checked the message. It was a link from Adanna Inviere-Biskis, the GM Assistant. The former Senator player had sent along a video link to the exit interviews, and Briar had to watch as Jayla Leed made comments to the media after she cleaned out her locker. “I don’t know,” the goalie said to the press, “but I think I only have a couple good years left in me. And I think those might be best served elsewhere if this whole thing crumbles down.”

Briar just sighed and cut the video off. She didn’t need Leed thinking that the team was going into rebuilding mode, but what could she offer the goalie as far as hope right now? Gamble was still mum on her plans, but if rumors had any bearing, she was already thinking of getting out while her stock was still high. And Briar knew she couldn’t keep the corner back here if there were greener pastures elsewhere. If Gamble left, Leed would likely follow. That could then cause a domino effect that would then cause other potential free agents to opt out of re-signing and test the market for themselves. Those included Vail Pin, Klay Mettews, and George Wulson. Lose too many players, and the feel-good season would then be lost in a sea of uncertainty due to a need for a hasty rebuild. And the Senators only had two picks in the upcoming Draft due to a trade with the Miners, of all teams, the year before. It had cost them a second-round pick, which the Senators had used on Woody Wakes. Wakes had looked decent on Thyferra, and 284 might be his opportunity to get playing time with the big club.

Jet finally called and snapped Briar out of her thought process, informing her that dinner would be ready soon and that she needed to return home because Lukas was causing a fuss. Sighing, Briar closed all the open applications on her Holo terminal and left the office, still with many questions to ask and not many answers.

Things didn’t get much better over the next few weeks. Now most reports indicated that Leed wanted out, and Gamble had gone on the record saying that she was taking measure of the free agent market. And then there was shake-up within the organizational structure. The first big piece was Aebatt Zargana. The former Storm GM had been offered a lucrative contract to GM a Premier League club.

“It would be a great opportunity,” Aebatt said over the Holo call.

“You should take it,” Briar finally had to admit. “It’s what you’ve been wanting all along, a GM job.”

“Indeed it has. Ever since Euceron,” Aebatt commented. “But it will be hard to leave the Elite League. Thank you for everything, Briar. You helped me get back on my feet again after the Storm fallout, and I hope to someday be able to repay you for that help.”

“If there is anything you can do to help me retain Gamble and Leed, that’d be nice,” Briar said.

“Unfortunately I can’t do that,” Aebatt had to admit. “But I can wish you the best of luck in the future.”

That meant her assistant GM was the latest casualty of the surprise exodus from the organization. Now Briar had to find someone to replace her. Jet was no good at this sort of thing, and besides, she didn’t need to have conspiracy theorists blaming her for naming her husband to a position of power instead of a more-qualified candidate. She had to think through her options.

“Not interested,” Adanna said when asked. “I like my position here.”

“Only if you really need me, and then it’s still a bit of a stretch,” Gark S’rily said. “Because the wife pulls all the strings on that.”

“I don’t know anything about being a GM, just a scout,” Tela Loni said. “And I’m good at that. You’re going to need me in that capacity, Briar. We both know that.”

That brought it down to one last in-house candidate. And she’s wasn’t exactly in the best shape at the moment.

“You want me to be your assistant,” Mirik Lopaki said bluntly as the two women sat across the table from each other. Mirik’s pregnant belly had ballooned to almost climax stage, and she would likely be expecting within a month and a half. That would be the wrench in all this.

“You’re the only option I have left right now without looking outside the organization,” Briar said. “I need someone who has experience; you have that.”

“I would do it, Ms. Thorne . . .”

“Just call me Mrs. Adama, we’ve gone over this,” Briar said.

“Of course, silly me for not remembering,” Mirik said. “But, I am in no position right now to help you. As you can see, I’m a little bit laid up right now.”

“I know, but I also need your help.”

“Can’t it wait?”

“I can’t afford to wait,” Briar replied curtly. “Right now, I have a franchise that is teetering on the brink of a rebuild, and no one wants to see that. You would be of massive help if you could be my assistant. I need someone, Mrs. Lopaki. You’re the perfect candidate.”

“You seem to forget that I’m perfectly happy with my current role. And with my new law degree, it seems to be the perfect time to use that. Besides, running a team wasn’t my intention when I came here.”

“You won’t be running the team. You’ll instead be helping me run the team. There’s a big difference.”

“Is it?”

“Yes. What would it take for you to take the role?”

“For starters, keep all the players from hemorrhaging from the team. Kyril isn’t impressed that he’s going to lose half the team he just guided to the Conference Finals.”

“Well, maybe if you could help me entice those players to stay, that wouldn’t be a problem,” Briar challenged.

“I’m not able to do much of that right now, I’m afraid,” the financial consultant said. “I would be a better model for maternity products than for running a Limmie team.”

“Then what about after the birth? Can you at least give me some help after that?”

“I suppose I could, but it won’t be much. I will probably be too tired to do much of anything.”

“I’ll take what I can get. Besides, you should be fine by next season, right?”

“Probably.”

“Please take the job. I really need someone to take it.”

“Fine. I will be your assistant. But on one condition.”

“What’s that?”

Mirik leaned in a little bit. “Lose the angst,” she said bluntly. “You don’t need that, not when you’re building something here. Stay calm and composed. That is the only way you will win this.”

And Briar knew that she was right.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  23. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    TAGS to jcgoble3 and Trieste

The lights were on bright at the Coruscant Athletic Club for the annual Season Awards Ceremony for the Division I level of Collegiate Limmie. Players from all over the galaxy and media from the same expanse were here, but for Mykal and his family, it was a relatively short trip. When the news had broke that Mykal had made award watchlists, that had been one thing, but when he had been invited to be here, that had been another thing entirely. It meant that he had a chance at some hardware.

In the preparation for the event, Mykal had to go through a thorough grooming process from Me’lin. The Twi’lek wanted to make sure her adopted son looked his best for the cameras. “Do I have to?” Mykal asked, acting like he used to when he was in high school. In some ways, he hadn’t changed since then.

“Of course,” Me’lin said sternly. She made sure to run the comb through the young man’s hair once more. “You want to make a good impression on the rest of the galaxy.”

“I don’t think it’s that important,” Galin said when he caught word of this whole process.

The seats had been provided for the family members by the organizers of the event, including a word from Cruth Kantor himself. Kantor was the head of the Coruscant Athletic Club. “I was wondering how long it would be before one of your sons would make it to this level,” the Zabrak had said to Gark before the event.

“Probably earlier than expected,” Gark replied.

“So, has he made a decision on his future in the pro ranks?”

“Not that I know of. If he has, he hasn’t said anything.”

“Just between you and me, I think he would look good in black and orange.”

“I know,” Gark admitted. “I’ve tried to sell him on the idea, but he wanted to wait and see what developed.”

“The longer he goes without committing, the harder it will be to keep him around,” Kantor warned.

“I know,” Gark said again. “It’s why I have to double-down on my efforts.”

The first award of the night went to Lizzie Wilder, the goaltender from CorTech whom Gark had once coached. It was interesting to see one of his former players make a big name for herself galaxy-wide. When that award was given out, Kantor went on to the next Award. Mykal was up for the Grazo Award, given to the best Corner or Full Back on the season. Me’lin was nervous now, so much so that she started to grip Mykal’s hand hard.

“Relax,” Mykal whispered to her during the wait time.

“And the winner is . . . Mykal Oha, full back from the University of Dantooine,” Kantor said.

“You did it!” Me’lin exclaimed as she gave her adopted son a hug. Galin did the same, and Mykal got a handshake from Gark before going up to the podium to accept his award. When he got to the stage, he had a few words to say to the audience.

“Thank you for the tremendous honor,” he said. “I have a few words to say. This award symbolizes a lot for me. It wasn’t that long ago that I was on the streets, homeless, drifting in and out of foster care. It was tough, man. When I was taken in, that was tough. But I grew up, and I found a new love in this game. I guess I’m pretty good at it now.” There was some laughter from the audience.

“It reminds me of a final essay I had to write in high school,” Mykal said. “I think it was The Charge of the Light Brigade, about the 600 warriors who charged into the Valley of Death even though their leader messed up. It got me thinking about the meaning of honor and courage. Any fool can have courage, I said, but it took a real man to have both honor and courage. Because it’s what you fight for that gives you honor. And it meant a lot to me, to play with integrity. Sure I was scared sometimes, sure I was nervous, but to play with honor meant to be courteous in both victory and defeat.

And I can attribute those life lessons to my family, who took me in and gave me a chance. For the longest time, I didn’t think there was a way out of the streets. But they gave me a chance, and I am forever grateful to them. And to my high school coach, Bert Kammel, who, while he didn’t know what he had in me at the beginning, had my back. It was his encouragement that helped me become a better player, and I owe him a lot. And to my teammates and coaches in both high school and college, who helped me get to where I am today.

So thanks again. It means a lot, and I hope that I can inspire others in my shoes to pursue their dreams, and maybe, just maybe, help them find good homes where they can foster those dreams. Thank you.”

Gark and family rose up and started to applaud, as did the rest of the audience. It was a real touching moment for Mykal to see this; he hadn’t quite expected it, but he had said volumes with his speech. It wasn’t prepared, because he had thrown that idea out when Me’lin brought it up. No, this was something directly from the heart. He hadn’t thought about that essay in a long time, but it had seemed fitting for a time like this.

Mykal was then ushered out to speak with the media, where he answered a series of questions. The last one was on his status for the Draft. “I have to speak with my family and make sure I take the right course of action,” he said.

He finally returned to the auditorium in time to hear the Lombardee Award being given out. Eventually, it came time for the Helmsman Memorial Trophy to be awarded.

“Mykal Oha, University of Dantooine,” Cruth Kantor said.

“No way,” Galin said, almost breathlessly.

“Mykal, that’s so wonderful!” Me’lin said. “You have a chance at the Helmsman!”

Mykal didn’t end up winning the Helmsman, but he was up against stiff competition. Besides, he hadn’t really expected to be nominated, because no one had told him he was up for the Award. But it was a huge selling point for his career, and now he had a major decision to make.

And he held all the cards.

24. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    Mykal does have all the cards!

25. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    TAG to Trieste

“Hm?” Briar asked to the caller on the other end of the line. “You want me to change my offer? I don’t know. It would be a gamble.”

Several seconds of silence followed from her as the caller answered, and then she finally spoke again. “I see your point. That does change things, and we have a need. Look, if you can get it done, I’ll keep up the offer, make sure things get done in a timely fashion.”

Another period of silence followed as she had to listen. “So what I’m saying is that I’m open to the idea. Just get it done, OK?”

When she finished the call, she looked to her roster. There were plenty of holes on it from her speculative roster for 284. With a flick of her finger on the screen of the datapad, she cut off one of the needs on the list.

“ . . . and I will be signing with the Coruscant Senators,” Mykal said. No doubt this would cause a lot of intrigue within the league, knowing that the top full back on the Draft board was no longer available. It also meant that the Senators were getting a highly-regarded full back. They hadn’t seen a dominant presence at the position in over a decade, so locking the spot down was a big deal for them. Mykal would have to duke it out for playing time with incumbent starter Cannon Mallonn and third-year pro Aaltoides Minte, but Mallonn could play other positions, including replace Christine Gamble if the corner back left town. That made sure that Mykal had as good a chance as any to make the roster, even if it was as a reserve during his rookie year.

The weight was now off Mykal’s shoulders. Briar Adama had been willing to modify her offer after seeing some of her starting defenders leave in free agency, and that had made it easier to forgo the Draft. After all, now he could stay here, which was one of Gark’s big selling points in the Senator pitches. Here was his home, and he would represent it every time out. That was big for him.

News came in soon after that Wahay Contar, the Feeorin corner back from CorTech, had also signed a contract with the Senators, making it two rookie defenders who had signed directly with the team. It would make things easier on the Senators now that they had an influx of young talent in the Back Six since the Draft was thin on defenders. If Klay Mettews or Eddie Munster were to leave, plus Gamble, at least now the Senators had a few options to replace them, plus two Draft picks and any they could acquire via trade.

“Welcome to the family,” Gark said after Mykal signed his new contract.

“I thought I was already home,” the full back said.

“You certainly are,” the Bothan replied. “You certainly are.”