main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - OT The First Apprentice - Complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JD1975, Apr 30, 2016.

1. JD1975

JD1975 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    Title: The First Apprentice

Author(s): JD1975

Timeframe: Between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens

Characters: Mostly Luke with Artoo, a little Leia, possibly some other OT characters to come

Genre: Action/adventure with romance

Keywords: Luke, apprentice

Summary: Details the training of Luke’s first apprentice.

Notes: May contain possible spoilers for The Force Awakens

After Endor, before The Force Awakens….

Would he die here? Now?

It seemed entirely possible. He was trapped, restrained in the force field. Unable to reach anything or reach to anything.

“The last of the Jedi”, the darksider gloated. “My master will be so pleased once you have been eliminated.”

Luke said nothing, he’d dealt with her kind before. Getting into a verbal sparring battle meant nothing. Of course she saw this and continued on.

“And the girl. Your apprentice?”

He bit the inside of his cheek.

“She should be dead by now.” She smiled, realizing she’d struck bait from the look in his eyes. “Interesting. She is more than just an apprentice isn’t she? You… care for her, more than a master would care for his pupil. Or should I say you cared for her?”

He shut his eyes, closing his mind to the gloating, opening up a tiny corner and protecting it so that she could not see and he searched for her presence, willing himself to be calm. A fissure of regret welled within him. His struggle seemed silly now. Why had he denied what he felt? Tried to push it away? Now, if he died here she would never know the truth about what he felt. His heart clenched. He had tasted her kiss once – on Dagobah. He’d pushed her away and hurt her. Not in showing his feelings but in rejecting them. She loved him, he knew that, and he loved her and he’d hurt her. He could taste her kiss now – soft, tender. It calmed him and he reached out again. Katia

And he felt her. He sighed in relief. She was shielding herself in the same way he was now shielding his thoughts, trying to hide her presence, but letting him know she was there. Deep pride swelled within him. A better student he could not have asked for. And she was alive. Above…

As the sith lady turned, distracted by a guard, he looked up, saw a shadow more on the catwalk above. And then she leaped, flipping to land on the floor below, crouched in a defensive position, arm extended, a lightsaber in her grip.

A lightsaber…

Luke watched it ignite, the sound crisp, the light from the blade smooth and stable. The yellow beam hummed, ready. She had struggled with this final test and here she stood with her own weapon. He could not have been prouder at that moment.

She met his eye only briefly, focused instead on the woman who stood between them. “Let him go.”

The sith rolled her eyes. “This grows tiresome. Guards – kill her!”

Some time before….

Luke walked the marketplace, his eyes scanning the crowded streets as people bartered for goods and food. His inquiries from her neighbors had brought him here and Leia’s bequest had sent him to this place. He reviewed the mission in his mind. Find General Rieekan’s daughter before the remnants of the Empire did. They believed the daughter held valuable Alliance secrets and though Leia had been able to determine this wasn’t true the Empire did not know that, nor would they believe it. They would capture Rieekan’s daughter and torture her for information she did not know. Leia had sent him to retrieve the girl and bring her back into the fold of the Alliance where she would be safe.

The mission, as important as it was, was a welcome distraction for him. He had been assisting Leia as much as he could but he had also been searching for force sensitive individuals to train – to pass on what he had learned as had been Master Yoda’s request. Up till now he had found no one. He had been at loose ends. He had not shared his disappointment, his feelings of inadequacy with Leia. He hadn’t wanted to burden her. But he saw she knew, it was impossible to hide things from her…

He moved through the crowd, stopping as he focused on a woman waiting at a stall for the proprietor to finish dealing with the older woman ahead of her. The young woman fit the description of Rieekan’s daughter.

He stepped closer, able to hear the stallowner’s conversation with the older woman.

“I’m telling you – that’s the price I’m offering.”

“I don’t understand”, the older woman replied. “Last week you bought them for twice as much.” She gestured to the brightly dyed fabrics before her.

“Too much merchandise, not enough demand”, he sneered.

“But I don’t even see any of the fabrics I sold you last week left!”

“The price I quoted or nothing!”

The young woman grabbed his arm, unable to contain herself. “You’re cheating her!”

A look of confusion crossed the man’s face. “I’m… cheating her….” He breathed.

“You’re going to pay her the fair price.”

“I’m going to pay her the fair price…..”

He began counting out coins and handing them over to the older woman who sputtered her thanks and scurried away. The proprietor, seemingly unaware of what had just taken place, shrugged his shoulders and began folding the cloth.

The young girl turned and walked away, moving down the crowded street.

Luke stood frozen, trying to process what he’d just witnessed before he began to hurry after her, the crowds impeding his progress. If he didn’t know any better Katia Rieekan had just used a Jedi mind trick.

He could see through the crowd that she’d turned and walked to her left, cutting down an alleyway. A sharp sense of dread passed over him and he wove through the crowd, hurrying. Trouble…

2. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Hi. I like your style and this time frame has become interesting to me since TFA blew all the EU up. I'll admit I thought the apprentice was Leia until you said Katia's name and when Luke remembered a kiss I was like all "ewww!" haha. Are you interested in any concrit?

Kuri

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Awesome start and LUke is in-character. =D= A riveting opening scene and very nice flashback. =D=

4. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Thanks for reading and commenting! I've written fanfic before but this is my first time posting Star Wars fanfic. I'm a little rusty - so hopefully this won't be too awful. Constructive criticism is fine - whatever is usually posted I guess. Here is another part.

Katia was traversing the alleyway when a hand reached out from a darkened doorway and yanked her off her feet. Two other men approached. Before she could speak Katia found herself pressed up against the wall of the building, a beefy hand wrapped around her throat. She gripped the hand with two of her own in an effort to force it from her throat but the man was too strong.

“I’m here for the Alliance secrets”, the man hissed.

“Alliance s-secrets? I don’t have any”, Katia wheezed, trying in vain to catch her breath as the pressure on her windpipe increased.

“Sure you don’t”, the man said with a grin. “The Empire has offered to pay us a lot of money for the information you have. We were told to get it from you by any means necessary”, he continued, pressing down on her throat.

Katia choked and blinked hard. Spots were beginning to form before her eyes. The lack of oxygen causing her to begin to pass out.

“I told you”, she whispered, her voice rasping. “I…don’t…”

“Liar! I think you need some more persuasion”, he said, beginning to bear down harder with his hand on her throat.

Suddenly the man’s hand began to shake where it was clenched around Katia’s throat, his grip beginning to loosen.

“What the….” The man whispered, looking on in horror as his hand seemed to defy the workings of his own mind. Before he could contemplate what was occurring his grip released and Katia fell to the ground, gasping as fresh air filled her lungs. The large man flew across the alley, striking the wall on the other side. His companions turned to face with man who stood at the mouth of the alley.

Katia lifted her head and stared at the robed figure.

“Kill him!” the ringleader said as he staggered to his feet.

They pulled out their blasters and began to fire but the man ignited his weapon and handily deflected the blasts. Having failed by shooting they drew knives and collectively rushed the man before being cut down by the glowing blade. Within seconds the bodies of the three men littered the alley and the robed man extinguished his weapon and moved over to where Katia was crouched, her eyes wide in disbelief.

He pulled back his hood. “Are you alright?” he asked, his left hand touching her arm.

Katia looked down at the metal cybernetic hand that replaced the man’s own flesh. If he noticed her stare at it for a second longer he said nothing. “I – I think so.”

Her eyes met Luke’s and he froze. They were brown but with flecks of green and gold – eyes he could get lost in. When he could speak he began, “I’m –“

Katia cut him off. “I know who you are. You’re Luke Skywalker. You’re a Jedi. You were a Commander in the Alliance Fleet. My father spoke of you” she replied.

He helped her to her feet. “These men were sent after you by the Empire. They think your father gave you Alliance intelligence before he died.”

“He didn’t”, Katia said, a shudder passing through her as she looked at the bodies.

“We know that. The Alliance sent me to protect you and bring you back into the fold. You’ll be safe there. There’s sure to be more assassins where these came from. I have a ship hidden just outside of town.”

“But my home…”

“It’s probably being watched. We have to leave now”, he said.

“Al-alright”, she whispered, allowing him to lead her from the alley.

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    You wrote their first meeting well. =D= Katia's reactions - just what mine would be. =P~ ;) Luke in Jedi mode :) [face_sigh]

6. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Thanks again for reading and commenting!

They boarded the ship quickly, Luke ushering her forward. He didn’t sense anything around them but he did not want to take any chances. Keeping her safe was all that mattered. He began the launch sequence while Katia lingered behind to change into spare clothes that were onboard. He got the feeling that the memory of the attack lingered and that changing and washing off would help.

“Artoo”, he called. The droid rolled into the cabin, beeping enthusiastically. “Plot the quickest course back. Hopefully we can get far enough away before anyone else comes after the General’s daughter. I don’t want to get into a dogfight in this shuttle.”

It had been a while since he’d piloted his x-wing in defense of the Alliance. Truth be told he did miss it a bit.

Artoo thrilled in response, accessing the navigation computers.

“Has he been with you since the first Death Star?”

Luke turned. Katia had changed from the robes she’d been wearing into more serviceable pants, a top and jacket. The brown of the outfit picking up on the soft brown of her hair and the brownish green shade of her eyes. Her hair fell gently to her shoulders and she pinned the top half back so that it was away from her face. She looked a bit pale and her eyes were troubled but she seemed better than she’d been. He nodded in answer, finding he couldn’t speak from staring.

She knelt down beside Artoo and laid a hand on him. “Hello”, she said.

Artoo’s head swiveled to look at her and he beeped softly.

Luke found his voice. “Artoo, this is General Rieekan’s daughter.”

“Katia”, she said. “Please.”

“Katia”, he repeated softly. The name had a gentle, lyrical sound to it. It suited her.

“Hello Artoo”, she said.

Artoo beeped in response as Katia stood and moved to sit beside Luke. Finishing with the navigation Artoo moved to stand close to Katia, eager to be near his new friend.

She laughed softly, her face lighting up at the droid’s distinctive personality and Luke sat transfixed.

She was lovely.

Artoo beeped at him, the spell breaking. “Right. I did say we needed to hurry”, he turned back to the controls to prepare for the jump to lightspeed.

Katia was quiet, staring out the window. In the silence Luke tried to figure out the best way to broach the subject of what he’d witnessed in the marketplace.

Clearing his throat, he began. “I saw what you did in the marketplace.”

She turned to look at him, puzzled. “What I did?”

“For the older woman selling the fabric.”

She frowned at the memory. “He was cheating her. I convinced him to pay her fairly.”

Luke paused. Was it possible that she did not realize what she had done? “You made him pay her fairly.”

“No, he knew he was caught. He had no choice but to pay her the better price.”

Luke shook his head. “You were able to influence his mind – using the force. It’s a Jedi mind trick.” He reached out using the force, his touch subtle, non-invasive, searching….until he felt a glimmer, a spark within her. It was buried deep, untried, not honed at all but he could feel it there.

“I’m no Jedi”, she said, shaking her head.

He turned back to her, his gaze eager. “You could be.”

Her eyes widened with surprise. “Me? I don’t think so”, she laughed softly, certain he was jesting.

“You have the ability. The force is with you. I can feel it. It would take time but you could learn to use it”, he swallowed and went on, hoping she wouldn’t think him crazy. “I – I could teach you to use it.”

“You could teach me to be a Jedi?” she asked.

He nodded. He looked at her with such deep yearning that she knew he must be serious.

“If I learned to use the… force. If I became a Jedi…. I would be able to help people? Like the woman at the market?”

“That’s the idea, yes”, he replied.

She looked down at her hands folded in her lap, deep in thought.

There was very little in her life, nothing holding her to anything nor anyone now. She felt alone, at loose ends, especially now when she’d been pulled away from the home she’d made. Serving on the side of good had been important to her father, it was important to her also. Up till now she’d had no idea how to fill the void. It felt strange to put her trust into someone she’d just met, barely knew. But truthfully what did she have to lose.

She lifted her eyes to look at him. His eyes were a clear, beautiful blue. They were kind eyes, eyes she could trust. Her father had spoken very highly of him, but there was something more…. Something she just… knew. She wasn’t completely convinced that she could be a Jedi, that she could do the things he could do but she knew this was the right thing to do.

“Alright” she said. “Teach me to use the force.”

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    JD1975 - I do not know if this was intentional or not but either way, SQUEEEEEEEE! Katia meeting and greeting R2, :D :cool: reminded me of Rey with BB8 ;) And the instant spark between them, subtle and yet there [face_dancing] ... Her nearly instinctive knowledge of how to influence others and how her Force skills are dormant makes sense, and also is Rey-like, which I appreciate and think is uber!cool. @};-

=D=

8. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Thank you! There is more to Katia than meets the eye and I have quite a journey as a character planned for her - hopefully I can pull it off!

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  9. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Here is a bit more...

Luke was standing outside Leia’s quarters when Katia emerged. She smiled as she saw him and he stepped over, laying a hand on her arm. “I’ll come see you after I talk with Leia.”

She nodded and stepped away, making her way to the quarters she’d been given at the Alliance base.

“Come in”, Leia said, taking her brother’s hand and leading him inside.

“Where’s Han?” Luke asked as they sat.

“Speed trials with Chewie”, she said with a smile.

“And how are you feeling?”

“I’m well”, she said, smiling gently as she laid a hand on her still flat stomach.

“Good”, he replied.

“What is it?” she asked, sensing something more.

“How well do you know Katia?” he asked.

“I’d met her on a few occasions. Unfortunately there wasn’t much time to get to know her well. She and her mother were with the General when Alderaan was destroyed, otherwise they would have died there. Her mother died not long after though.”

“She wasn’t with the General on Hoth though.”

“No, too dangerous and rightfully so considering we were found, but there were a lot of people at Echo Base. If she was there you might not have remembered. There was so much happening.”

“I would have remembered” he said.

Leia stared for a moment before continuing. “Why all the questions?”

“The force is with her.”

Leia looked stunned. “Really? Does she know?”

“I told her. I asked if she’d like me to train her. She said yes. I wanted you to know in case I’m not as available as I’ve been. If you need me, of course I’ll…”

Leia laid a hand on his arm and smiled. “It’s alright. I understand. And this will be important. We need the Jedi. And you need this.”

She knew he’d been struggling; that he’d needed a purpose and how heavy it had sat on his mind to continue on as Yoda and Obi-Wan had hoped.

“There’s just one thing. Something I have to tell her first. If she is still willing after she hears it, then we’ll begin.”

She answered the call bell by coming to the door of her quarters when he rang. “Come in” she said, walking him over to the seating area.

“Getting settled in alright?” he asked as they sat.

“Fine”, she replied. He watched as she pushed the sleeves of her jacket up, revealing the metal bracelet she wore on her right wrist. It was a wide band, intricately carved in what looked like a floral pattern. He hadn’t noticed it before, hidden beneath her sleeves. He wondered about it – was it important to her? Had someone given it to her? An admirer? The thought clenched his gut with an unexpected pang and he pushed it away. He had no right to wonder. Or to ask.

“I know you agreed to let me teach you but I’ve been thinking that there’s something I should tell you before we begin. Something I want you to know.”

Her brow furrowed in concern. “What is it?”

He swallowed hard. This was not something he’d meant to hide – from anyone. Deception, however subtle, wasn’t his way, but it wasn’t something he and Leia openly discussed with anyone outside of their immediate circle.

“Darth Vader….. he… was my father.”

He told her what had happened to his father, how Anakin Skywalker had become Darth Vader, the atrocities he’d committed – some she knew from the years of the rebellion and some she did not. Then he told her about his father’s redemption and death. She sat silently, taking it in until he was done.

Seconds that felt like hours had passed as Luke waited. Her father had fought against Vader, against the Empire. His father had ordered the destruction of her home world. He owed her this much – the truth.

“You are not your father”, she said softly, her eyes lifting to look at him. “You are not responsible for what he did.” When she looked at him he could almost swear she could see right through him, into his soul.

“Vader was responsible for so much misery and destructive and… death”, she went on. “I’m not sure I’ll ever understand how someone could do those things but…. I am glad that Anakin Skywalker found some peace at the end.”

He swallowed hard, not able to speak. His thoughts drifted to his father’s final moments. Removing his mask, his father’s eyes when he’d looked at Luke and the pride he’d seen in them. He remembered the tears he’d cried after his father had taken his last breath. He had done what he’d set out to do but he’d lost so much.

Katia’s hand on his arm drew him back to her. “You are not your father”, she repeated. “And I will train with you.”

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    :) [face_sigh] Loved Leia's supportiveness & Luke's candor with Katia. her understanding and compassion :) Wonderful!

11. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015

In the weeks that followed they began to test Katia’s abilities. Beginning with using the force to move objects had seemed the best course of action. After several tries Katia had been amazed when she’d made a cup wobble slightly.

“I did that?” she asked. “I saw it move!”

Luke nodded. “You did.”

“I did? You’re sure?”

“I’m sure. Believing in your abilities, in what the force is capable of will go a long way toward you being able to use it. Believing I could do something was a lesson Master Yoda wanted me to learn.” And this had led into a discussion of Yoda and Obi-Wan.

Katia progressed steadily after that and was soon moving objects at will. Luke set practice for her as well as teaching her meditation. She proved to be a good and curious student and Luke found that he enjoyed the teaching and looked forward to each day’s work.

The days passed quickly before long, Luke mused, he would have to begin teaching Katia to use a light saber.

Luke opened his eyes and glanced around the medical bay of Echo Base. He was on Hoth. He recognized it immediately, even though the base was heated there was a chill that still seeped in. He’d recognize it anywhere. Or maybe it was in his bones – the chill was the same as when he’d been thawed after being attacked by the Wampa and lost in the storm until Han had found him. He sometimes dreamed of the snow and cold of Hoth but this was different.

He lay in the medical bay after his rescue and emergence from the healing Bacta tank, safe. He sighed and closed his eyes, shivering in spite of the warmth of the heated blankets placed on him. A gentle hand softly touched his face and he breathed out, relaxing, turning toward the warm touch. Leia? No, not Leia. He opened his eyes slowly.

He stared at her, unable to look away as she gently stroked his face. Her brow was creased, her eyes worried.

“Are you alright?” she asked.

“I’m fine”, he said. “Wh-what are you doing here?” He was puzzled. Katia had not been on Echo Base but he pushed the thought away. She was here now.

“Where else would I be?” she asked, her voice gentle as she looked at him, her gaze tender as she stroked his cheek. “I won’t leave you – ever.”

He opened his eyes and when he did he was no longer in Echo Base but in his own room at Alliance Headquarters. He sat up in bed and ran his hand over his face. Bending his knees he rested his elbows on them for a few moments. He tried to remember the last time he’d had a night of uninterrupted sleep. Not since Bespin, he decided.

A sound of trickling water coming from the open window on the other side of the room drew his attention. The sound strengthened, the sound of flowing water becoming clearer. Getting up he moved over to the window that overlooked the gardens behind Alliance Headquarters.

Katia sat by the pond at the center of the gardens, a robe over her nightclothes, her hair hanging loose upon her shoulders. She sat focused on the water and as Luke watched a spout rose up from the pond several feet before it cascaded down like a fountain. As he watched the water spouts she created became more intricate patterns, spiraling or splitting off into multiples as she manipulated the water of the pond with the force. The effect was soothing, beautiful and magical.

He reached for his robe and pulled it on. As he passed the sitting quarters of his rooms Artoo lifted his head, beeping in question.

“It’s alright Artoo. I’m just going for a walk. You stay here.”

She sensed his presence as he approached, the water stopping its flow and falling back into the pond with a splash as she turned to watch him walk over to her.

“I’m sorry”, Luke said. “I didn’t mean to interrupt.”

“It’s alright”, she replied as he sat down on a bench.

“That was beautiful”, he said.

She smiled. “Can’t you do it?”

Luke thought a moment. “I never thought to try.”

“I do it with my meditation sometimes. I come out here to practice if I don’t fall asleep easily. It clears my mind.” She stopped and looked at him with what Luke thought was concern. “You don’t sleep well.”

Luke shrugged and gave a small smirk. “Is it that obvious?”

She shrugged back in return and turned around to face him. “May I ask you a question?”

“Of course”, he said. She’d asked many questions of him through the course of her training so the request was not unusual.

“Your hand?” she said, taking his artificial one in her own. “How did you lose it?”

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent stuff with the progression of skills. Cool with the water in the fountain and awesome how Katia is a soothing presence even in his dreams. :)

13. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Thanks for reading! I decided to post a bit more today - Happy Star Wars Day!

Luke breathed deep before answering. The synthetic skin that covered the hand was gone now. There was no hiding it. “I lost it in a duel. With my father”, he said, looking down at her hand in his. He could still remember the hot sting of the blade slicing through skin and bone at his wrist, could remember the distinct smell of burning flesh, his flesh, as the wound was cauterized by his father’s lightsaber. “Just after that, he told me that he was my father.” The memory of that moment was seared within him forever, as if he’d been struck that the gut by his father’s blade.

“Your father did this?” Katia asked, disbelief edging her voice, bringing him back to her and pulling him away from the catwalk on Bespin where his life had changed forever.

He looked down at their hands again before looking up at her. “You know what he was”, he replied.

“Still, I can’t imagine a father doing that to his son”, she said, shaking her head. She looked down at the hand again.

“I was no better”, he replied.

“What do you mean?” she asked, frowning.

“In our last duel on the Death Star I had him pinned down but I kept swinging. My anger had overtaken me. I wanted to make him pay for what he had done to everyone. What he had done to me… so I cut his hand off.”

“But you stopped.”

“I looked down and saw the wires hanging from his wrist and looked at my own hand. I realized what I was doing, what I was becoming. That’s what stopped me.”

Katia absorbed this. “I’ve seen cybernetics before. The Alliance had access to lifelike replacements. This once had skin?”

“It was damaged”, Luke replied. The blaster shot he’d taken at Jabba’s palace had started the decay in the hand’s flesh. The rest had gradually worn away until there was nothing left. He’d abandoned the glove he’d originally worn not long after.

“And you never had it repaired?”

“Does it bother you?” he’d asked. After Endor he hadn’t given much thought to how it looked or what anyone would think but what she thought was suddenly important to him.

“No”, she said, shaking her head, a soft smile on her face. “Just curious. Why didn’t you have it replaced?”

“It didn’t seem important.”

“I suppose it isn’t”, she said, looking down at it in deep thought. “Or… maybe, it reminds you of what you faced, how close you came to the brink and what brought you back. You keep it to remind you so you won’t ever forget it. Not that I imagine you could.”

Luke looked at her in surprise. “I’ve never really thought about it, but I guess you’re right.”

She smiled gently, her gaze dropping again to their hands. Luke looked down as her fingers entwined with his, to hold his hand tighter. There was the slightest movement of her fingers as if she’d wanted to caress his. He could feel the soft flesh of her hand in his metal one. Even without the skin the hand still retained the ability to feel, tapped into his nerve endings as it was. Her hand was warm and soft.

“Thank you”, she said.

He looked up, perplexed.

“For sharing that with me.”

She slid her hand from his and stood up. She smiled as she walked back inside, stopping to greet Artoo along the way as the droid, concerned at how long he was taking, came to look for him. He continued to watch Katia as she departed. Artoo sidled up to him, beeping with curiosity at the dazed look on Luke’s face.

“Sometimes Artoo”, he began. “I don’t know who’s teaching who.”

Luke watched as the seven rocks sitting on the ground levitated at once then shifted positions in mid-air before they were stacked into a neat pattern from largest to smallest. Katia smiled as she looked at him expectantly.

“Good”, Luke nodded. “Now you’re ready for this”, he said, unhooking his lightsaber from his belt and holding it out to her.

Katia’s eyes widened. “You’d trust me with yours?”

He nodded. “We’ll start slow. I’m working on a spare for myself. In time you’ll be able to use that so we can practice sparring. When you’re ready you’ll make your own.”

Katia reached out and took it, gingerly pressing the button to ignite the green blade. Luke moved to stand behind her, placing his hands over hers, his arms encircling her to adjust her grip.

Seconds felt like an eternity as he felt the warmth of her body pressed to his, her soft hair was tied up for practice but a few loose strands rustled and brushed his face, feeling like silk. He breathed in her scent – a clean, natural one, free of perfumes and artifice. He swallowed hard.

“Lift your arms. Now your stance is ready”, he said.

“For what?” she whispered. He thought he must be imagining the slight breathiness of her voice. He stared down at the soft skin of her neck, his breath coming short and quick as he imagined pressing his lips to her pulse.

He shook his head and stepped away. “This”, he said, stepping over to activate the round sphere that sat on a bench. It hovered in the air, rotating as the targeting scanners configured.

“It’s going to fire at me isn’t it”, she said, her eyes narrowing.

“Yes, just relax. Focus. If you reach out and you’re calm the force will help to guide you.”

The whirring sound of the targeting mechanism was the only warning before the first blast. Katia dodged out of the way, her cheeks pink with embarrassment.

“Sorry”, she said, lift the weapon once more. “Maybe I’m not ready for this.”

“Remember what I told you. Believe in yourself. You can do it”, he said confidently.

She nodded, turning her attention back to the orb. The next blast came quickly. Katia bent her elbows, lifting the lightsaber high to stop the beam. This time it glanced off the blade.

She turned to him, a triumphant smile on her face. His face broke into a grin. “See”, he said. “Now, let’s try some more.”

She nodded, turning back to the orb and raising the light saber once more.

“Clear your mind”, Luke said.

The two sat on the grass, side by side, eyes closed, going through the mediation that would end that days active lessons. Once this was over though he and Katia would often spend time talking late into the afternoon. She would ask questions about the force and he would tell her about the teachings of Obi-Wan and Master Yoda and whatever else he knew about the Jedi.

As the mediation ended Katia closed her eyes once more, breathing in the subtle fragrant scent of the flowers that bloomed in the gardens at Alliance Headquarters. They often held training sessions here as it was quiet and peaceful.

“Those flowers remind me of home”, she said, nodding towards some of the more colorful blooms.

“On Alderaan?” he asked softly.

“Yes, we had beautiful flowers and trees there. Great, tall ones. I used to climb them – every day when I was little. Until I fell one day when I was ten. Then I never did again”, she said, frowning at the memory.

“Were you hurt?” he asked, turning to her with concern.

“I broke my arm. My mother worked in the medical facility there and it was healed but….”

“But?”

“I never climbed again. Not because I didn’t want to…. I…. I couldn’t.”

“Your parents were afraid you’d get hurt again?” he asked.

“No, it wasn’t that. I – I was afraid. Ever since then. I – I don’t like heights”, she said.

Luke frowned. Her fear was understandable and he was filled with the urge to take her in his arms and comfort her but he couldn’t…. He pulled back into the mindset of a teacher. A fear like that could be a weakness to her. She would need to confront it and move beyond it. They would have to find a way.

He turned toward her to see her eyes on the bracelet encircling her wrist. Her fingers traced the flowers and vines etched into the metal.

The words escaped Luke’s mouth before he could stop them. “Is that – from Alderaan?” he asked.

“Yes, I think so”, she said. “It was given to me…”

Luke’s throat clenched. She’d loved whoever had given it to her.

“By my mother. Before she died. She said my father had given it to her before I was born. She wanted me to have it”, she said, smiling gently.

Luke felt his lungs begin working again, taking in air. He felt relieved and slightly ashamed for in those moments when he'd thought the bracelet had been the gift of an admirer he realized he'd been... jealous.

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Katia's compassion and insight and then her own confiding - delightful and endearing.
    As is Luke's reaction to her--let me say that you are describing it superbly & very much in-character. It could feel OOC and rushed but this doesn't, and I think that's very much because she's so likeable. :)

15. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Here is another section. Thanks for reading and commenting! I wanted to try to edit the title of my original post to show that I am updating but I'm not sure how to do so.

He was worn out, beaten, every muscle in his body hurt, broken…. The only thing that kept him moving was the knowledge that Han had to be rescued. He said nothing as he let Leia and Chewie lead him off the Falcon, a blanket wrapped around him, and onto the deck of the medical ship of the Rebel Fleet.

“Luke?”

He heard her voice and it was like taking a drink of cool water after spending the entire day outside under Tatooine’s twin suns. She hurried across the deck and suddenly Leia, Chewie and everyone else disappeared and there was only her. She reached him and wrapped her arms around him, holding him close to her. He reached out with his left arm and wrapped it around her, keeping the severed end of his right arm buried beneath the blanket. He breathed deeply, inhaling the clean scent of her hair, laying his bruised face in its softness. He shuddered as he felt the tears begin to come, the emotions rising in the face of her tenderness so in contrast to what he had just been through.

She said nothing – she really didn’t need her to – she just stood there with him, rubbing his back in soothing circles and brushing her fingers through his hair until he felt ready to let her lead him to one of the treatment rooms.

He hadn’t wanted her to see his right wrist, to see what had been done, but she wouldn’t listen and though she paled a bit she’d stayed with him. He closed his eyes as he leaned his forehead against hers and whispered her name, his eyes closed as her lips met his.

Katia…

And then he woke.

It was several hours before daylight and he dragged himself from his bed to see about prepping the shuttle they would be taking to go to Dagobah. It had taken a few weeks since they’d made the initial decision to go to Dagobah to reach this day. He had gone to visit Han, Leia and their newborn son Ben and he was grateful for the happiness and serenity that Leia had in her life. It was something she deserved. He wished his mind was as serene – his sleep had been filled with images of Katia. His role was to teach her, not to want her in this way, wasn’t it? He entered the hanger, busying himself with checking the shuttle. Maybe it would help him to forget how it had felt to hold her in his dream.

He landed the shuttle with little difficulty near Yoda’s old hut and as the ramp was lowered and he and Katia descended he was amazed at how much had changed in a matter of years. More of the swampy plants and vines had taken over and though Yoda’s home was still accessible, clearly it was in a state of disrepair. They walked down to the surface as Artoo trailed behind.

A rustling sound from the water distracted them and they turned in time to watch a large dark figure skim close to the surface. Artoo shrieked and moved to cower behind Luke.

“What is that?” Katia asked slowly, her eyes widening as she also took a step back toward Luke.

“Just a water creature” Luke said. Dagobah teamed with life but the creatures that lived there weren’t evil, just trying to survive. There was darkness on Dagobah, he knew, but it was not here. “He won’t hurt us.”

“Artoo seems to doubt that”, she said.

“He had a bit of a… misunderstanding with it a while back but I don’t think we need to worry.”

Katia watched as the dark hump of the creature emerged from the swampy water before sinking beneath the surface once more. “Tell me again why I thought this was a good idea.” She kept her eyes on the water as they walked around the shore.

“We’ll be fine”, Luke reassured her. “He’s just looking for food in the water.”

Artoo moaned.

“Just the same, I won’t bother him if he won’t bother me”, Katia replied. A rustling in the trees distracted her and she turned to watch one of Dagobah’s winged creatures soar across the dark sky.

“What do you think?” Luke asked.

“It’s so… alive”, she said, looking around.

They stood in silence once more before Artoo beeped.

“Sure you can do some maintenance – go ahead”, Luke said as the droid scurried off, probably eager to be safely on the shuttle once more.

They sat down together on a large rock and he began to tell her all about the training he’d received from Yoda from the time he’d crashed on Dagobah until he left and then when he’d returned before Yoda’s death.

“When he died I felt so alone. Like I couldn’t go on”, he said, shaking his head as he looked at the old hut in the distance.

“You’re not alone, not anymore”, she replied.

Luke turned to her. She laid a gentle hand on his arm. “You have me.”

Luke swallowed hard as she stared at him. He could feel the tenderness, sweet and gentle, care and empathy, support, comfort and more. It emanated between them, strong and steady. The cry of the winged creature above them broke the spell. Luke stood.

“Come on”, he said, turning back to Katia. “There’s something I want to show you.”

Katia looked up, staring at the stone wall in front of her. She couldn’t see the top as it disappeared into the mist. “How high is it?”

“I’m not quite sure, but we’ll soon find out”, he said.

She turned back to him, her eyes questioning. “What do you mean?”

“You’re going to climb it.”

“I…. I am…?” she whispered.

“Let go of your fear. Anger, aggression and fear can lead to the dark side of the force. You can do it”, he added.

She breathed deeply, closing her eyes and searching for calm. He fought the urge to touch her.

“Alright”, she said, opening her eyes.

“I’ll meet you back at Yoda’s hut when you’re done.”

“You’re not going to stay?” she asked.

“You don’t need me.”

“How will you know I’ve actually done it?”

He would know but he also knew something else. “You wouldn’t lie”, he said confidently.

She nodded. He turned to leave and she stood watching him until he disappeared into the mist.

She climbed.

Her body was honed from the months she’d been training, physically stronger then she’d been at the start. She tamped down her fear as she found hand and foot holds in the wall.

It’s not so bad. At least I can’t see the ground, she thought. Then she made the mistake of looking down. It was true she couldn’t see the ground for the mist but that alone told her how high she must have been now. She leaned her forehead against the wall, breathing deep, calm….

She climbed.

I will always be with you……

The voice startled her, causing her to grip the wall tighter. What was that? Who was that?

She climbed.

Always… Always…. Always…

It seemed to echo all around her. A voice that seemed familiar but she could not place it. A man’s voice. She looked up, noticed the mists beginning to fade slightly. She could see the top. Then she heard another voice, intermingling with the first until they seemed to be all around her.

No, there is another. Another….

Always… Be with you…. Always… Another… There is…. Another

And then she slipped.

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    SQUEE on the dream and [face_nail_biting] on the cliffie there =D=

Katia grows more endearing by the post and for this dedicated Mara Jade fan, that is definitely an accomplishment [face_batting] @};-

How to edit the title thingy - click on Edit after your first post, then More Options, then fill in the new date or chapter number. :D

17. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Here is a little more - just wanted to say there is a bit of description involving an injury here, I don't think it's too graphic but just wanted to mention it before this section.

Luke moved carefully around the old hut, stooped over in the cramped space. He hadn’t taken the time when last he was here to see if Yoda had left behind anything that could help him to train Jedi and he’d found nothing now. The space was dank and musty but Yoda’s presence was here, this he knew.

He realized now that a great deal of time had passed since he’d left Katia at the rock wall. Surely she’d be back soon. A rustling sound drew his attention and he moved outside, eager to see her. What he saw filled him with horror.

Katia walked unevenly, her right arm clutched in her left, dirty and bedraggled, scraped and bruised. He hurried toward her and as he approached his stomach nearly turned at the sight of the broken bone of her clavicle protruding from her skin.

“Katia…” he breathed, his hands moving to her arms.

He looked into her eyes as the tears rolled down her cheeks, streaking the dirt there.

“I… I failed”, she cried, pain and sadness tinging her words.

“No…” he said, shaking his head. “No.”

“Yes I did!” she cried, her words coming more forcefully, nearing hysteria. “Do or do not! There is no try!”

“No!” he said, raising his voice. Her tears stopped and she looked at him, wide-eyed. “You haven’t failed. Not me. Not yourself. You faced your fear. The top of the mountain doesn’t matter. You understand?”

She nodded, staring at him mutely.

Rain began to fall and the wind began to rise as he helped her to Yoda’s hut. She gasped in pain as he helped her kneel down and slip inside. The winds roared around them and Luke felt a sense of dread. He needed to get Katia to help but there was no way he could take off in these conditions. The weather seemed to be worsening by the second.

“My collar bone. You… you can fix it. You can set it”, she breathed, her eyes bright with pain.

Pain… Luke could feel her pain, so deep it nearly gagged him.

“Katia, I…”

“You can move the bone.”

“I…. I don’t know how to set a bone.”

“If you let the force guide you, you can. You can move it….with the force.”

He looked at her, horrified. “I can’t.”

“Yes, you can… please”, she whispered.

“Katia even if I can move the bone the wound will bleed. What if I can’t stop it”, he said, his voice tight.

“You… can cauterize it”, she whispered.

“With what?”

She nodded toward the light saber clipped to his belt. Luke followed her gaze and then looked back up at her, shaking his head. “No… I can’t do that….” He couldn’t. He couldn’t cause her more pain. He couldn’t use his weapon on her…. Burn her….

“You have to. There’s no other way”, she said.

She was right. There was no other way.

“Alright” he said. “Try to hold still.”

She struggled to hold onto his arms as he focused his attention and closed his eyes. He willed away the pain, the fear… and the bone began to move. He felt Katia’s fingers tighten on his arms. He pushed away her pain. He felt her scream before the sound emerged from her throat. And then she fainted.

The bone was moved back into place but blood began to seep from the open wound. Even if he found something to bandage it with he was afraid it would not stop. He bit his lip, pulled the lightsaber from his belt and ignited it.

There is another…. I will always be with you…

It’s my fault, Master Yoda. I shouldn’t have tested her… not like that. It’s my fault….

Katia came awake slowly. Her body ached all over and she was terribly sore but the horrible, stabbing pain was gone. It hurt to move so she remained still. Her eyes blinked and focused as she drifted back to consciousness.

She was bandaged, her right arm in a sling made from… Luke’s robe, she suspected. Another blanket covered her, probably one he’d found in the hut. She searched the room as her eyes became accustomed to the light. Light… from a fire, blessedly warm in the otherwise chill and damp space. She could hear the sound of the rain pounding on the roof of the hut and the wind outside. She could see the trees swaying through the windows and shivered.

Looking toward the fire again she spotted Luke, crouched down, mumbling. She couldn’t make out what he was saying but it was as if he were deep in conversation with someone.

“Luke-“, she whispered, her voice hoarse.

Luke turned immediately and moved over to her. His eyes wide with worry, his face pale.

“You’re awake”, he breathed, the relief evident in his voice. He brushed her hair away from her face, his fingers lingering to stroke her cheek. “I… I was worried. I thought….” He looked down and shook his head. “Here”, he said, reaching for a cup of water. “Try to drink. Go slow.”

She sipped the water and sighed as he placed the cup on the ground.

“Katia…” he began. “I’m sorry….”

She frowned. “For what?”

“For what? You’re hurt. You could have been killed….”

“I’ll be fine.”

“I have to get you out of here. Once the storm clears and we can leave safely.”

“It will be alright”, she whispered, her hand sliding into his. “It’s not your fault.”

He looked at her hand in his and then up into her eyes. The emotions swelled within him, taking over, making him powerless to stop speaking.

“If something had happened to you…. Katia”, he whispered, his head bent, he covered her mouth with his, moving carefully, gently but not so much that she couldn’t have discerned the meaning behind the kiss. He braced his arms on the ground on either side of her, careful not to touch her lest he hurt her.

Her left arm lifted and she trailed her fingers into his hair, pressing down slightly to deepen the kiss. She sighed against his mouth as a wave of emotion swept through him. Need, want, tenderness and… love. He wanted to protect her, keep her safe, hold her, never let go, tell her everything and anything, how much she had brought to his life and how he loved her from the first moment…..

The sound of beeping interrupted the kiss and Luke pulled away as Artoo rolled over to the entrance to the hut. He stared at Katia, his breath coming fast, and she stared back, eyes wide, her lips swollen from the kiss.

Artoo beeped again.

“Alright Artoo, I’ll – I’ll come check”, he stammered as he turned away. Reality came rushing at him. What had he done – they were both adults true but Katia was his apprentice…..

“Luke?” she whispered.

He turned and his heart clenched when he saw her eyes. She was confused by his response but her feelings were clear – Luke could feel it. The love she felt swept over him again and he wanted to lose himself in it but he couldn’t. He shielded his emotions and spoke.

“The storm is letting up. I’ll see about getting the shuttle ready to take you back to Alliance Headquarters so that they can treat you.”

Then he turned and followed Artoo.

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb details - not too graphic of the injury but enough to get an idea of the seriousness. Great to read of their feelings and reactions. A very hard balance of roles, duties, and emotions. [face_thinking]

19. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Hi. I read part 2. Another solid chapter with a nice flash of lightsaber action. I'll be back for more!

20. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Thanks again everyone!

He stood watching through the window of the medical facility as Katia rested on one of the berths. She was being treated for an infection that had set into the wound and for the pain caused by her numerous bruises that were a result of her fall. Her arm was badly bruised but not broken. Her collar bone had been fused properly but with bacta in such short supply these days following the years of war against the Empire it was likely that the scar across her collarbone where the bone had breached the skin and his lightsaber had burned it would be permanent. The thought tore at him with guilt – she was scarred because of him.

He swallowed hard and walked into the medical bay.

“She needs to rest”, the technician said as he approached.

“I’ll just be a minute”, he replied.

The technician nodded and moved away. Katia turned her eyes to him.

“Are you alright?” he asked, his heart heavy with guilt and regret, not only because of her wound.

“I will be”, she said, her face pale, her eyes tired and without their usual sparkle.

“Remember to use the healing meditations – they’ll help”, he said.

A nod of her head was the only response. A deep sadness engulfed him. He wanted so much to hold her, to take care of her, to tell her how important she was to him, how much he needed her.

“Katia-“, he began.

“I’m tired”, she interrupted, closing her eyes and turning away from him to lay on her side, facing the wall. “I should sleep.”

He reached out, about to touch her, when he realized he couldn’t sense any of the things he usually felt around Katia. In the same way in which he had shielded his emotions on Dagobah, she was doing the same. He let his hand drop.

“I’ll… I’ll see you tomorrow”, he replied, turning and leaving the room, his heart aching.

Two days later Katia was released from the medical ward and allowed to rest in her own quarters on the base. Once she was sufficiently healed and pain free she threw herself into the remainder of her training – all the better to forget her feelings for Luke.

Her training, she knew, was nearing completion. Rather than their usual lessons Katia worked on her mediations and practicing her combat skills with the firing droid. She practiced her tumbling skills in the garden until she was exhausted -too exhausted to think about Luke. The added benefit however was that she felt herself growing stronger and more confident in her abilities and more focused.

Luke gave her a wide berth. He said that there were no more lessons for her, per se. That now her only task was to build her lightsaber. He gave her basic directions and the tools and parts she would need and they formed the synthetic crystal, but the task was hers and hers alone to complete. This she knew was her final test.

Almost immediately the construction of the lightsaber proved problematic. She had never been good at the sort of skills involved here and she found that she needed to work to keep her frustration at bay, often needing to set the task aside and meditate before proceeding. Out of all that she had learned, for some reason, this was the part of her journey that seemed to be the hardest for her.

Luke saw her frustration but could offer no real help – after all, completing one’s own weapon was a rite of passage every Jedi had to achieve. She needed to do this – on her own - and that, she realized, was symbolic of the end of her training. Soon she would once again be on her own.

Artoo rolled over to Katia as she sat on a bench in the gardens of the base, deep in thought. At the sound of the droid’s approach she turned and smiled at him.

“Thank you for coming Artoo”, she said. “I needed to talk to you.”

Artoo beeped in response.

“I have a task for you”, she said, swallowing hard. “You see, I’ll be going away soon.”

Artoo wailed mournfully.

“My training is nearly complete”, she continued. “But there is something I want you to do.” She paused, fighting to keep her voice steady. “After I am gone you must take very good care of your Master. Do you understand?”

Artoo beeped affirmatively.

“Good”, she said, laying her hand gently on the droid. “Very good.”

For no matter how hurt she was at the rejection she had received from Luke she still knew that she loved him. That hadn’t changed. She was no longer sure of what he felt – if the emotions she’d once been able to sense in him were equal to her own, but her feelings were clear, and because of that she could not stay.

Artoo turned and wheeled away. As he rolled out of the garden he made sure to carefully store the recording he had just made of Katia’s instruction deep in his memory banks. He would need to keep it safe to retrieve later.

Meanwhile….

“Yes, my master”, the robed woman said as she stood in front of the giant hologram of the seated figure.

“It is time to set our plan into motion. Put an end to Skywalker.”

“And Rieekan’s daughter? His apprentice? Could she still hold Alliance intelligence?”

He pondered this for a moment. “Skywalker’s apprentice grows stronger with each passing day. There is something about her…. Whatever secrets she may or may not hold are not worth the risk to us. Kill her as well”, he said.

“Yes, my master”, she said, a wicked smile spreading across her face. “With pleasure.”

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent cross-purposes of emotion--well written but frustrating!! :eek: And that ominous final scene [face_nail_biting] Eagerly awaiting more. :)

22. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Here's another part - as always, thank you for reading and commenting!

Katia tossed the tool she was using down in frustration and it banged hard on the tabletop. She rested her head in her hands and breathed deep, willing herself to remain calm. If she became angry or frustrated she would never complete the lightsaber. As it was whenever she tried to put the mechanism together something seemed out of place or uneven.

Using Luke’s spare, identical to the one he carried with him, had given her insight into how she wanted her own weapon to look and feel. She knew she wanted more of a grip to hers and she found Luke’s spare to be a bit heavy. In the same way he had built his own to his specifications and needs she would build her own.

Luke…

She breathed deeply, willing away any thoughts of Luke and turned back to her task.

Luke walked the streets around Alliance headquarters, needing to clear his head. He wished that Leia were there but she and little Ben had gone with Han and Chewbacca to work on some more speed trials. They would see Han and Chewie compete in several races following that before he accompanied Leia to a goodwill visit to several planets in the outer rim.

Perhaps it was better. Leia was so happy following the birth of her son that Luke had no wish to trouble her. As he walked his thoughts turned to Katia and how much he missed the ease of conversation they had enjoyed prior to Dagobah. Most of their exchanges were polite, but they lacked the friendly warmth of the past. He missed that. He missed seeing her smile. He had thought he had been right to pull away from her but perhaps he had been wrong….

He found himself standing in flower shop a few blocks from the base. They sold native plants but also brightly colored blooms from other worlds as well. He knew that Han had brought Leia flowers here whose seeds were originally grown on Alderaan. Katia had mentioned missing the flowers there. Perhaps the flowers would serve as a peace offering and he could explain the reasons for his actions, make her understand why he’d acted in the way he had. He lifted the Alderaanian blooms from the display and moved toward the entrance to pay for his purchase.

As he walked toward the door of the shop he stopped, sensing something…. Darkness and danger. For him. For Katia…. A deep feeling of dread washed over him as he turned back, something was wrong… Very wrong.

Before he could think any further a whistle sounded through the air and a stinging pain emanated from his neck. He reached up and pulled the dart loose, staring at it. Drugged... He realized as the dart slipped from his hand. His head began to spin as he dropped to his knees. As he struck the ground, losing consciousness, the petals of the flowers fell to the floor around him.

Katia worked in the gardens of Alliance Headquarters, hoping that the atmosphere of her favorite place would help her to complete her task. Artoo stood at her side, quietly monitoring her process.

A sudden change in the feeling of the air caused Katia to stop what she was doing. She froze and slowly laid the components she’d been working on back onto the table. Her brow furrowed as she pondered the sensation that had washed over her. A strange feeling…. Something wrong, dark and terrible.

Was that the sound of the door to her quarters opening behind her? She steeled herself, focusing, concentrating, getting ready….

She spun around, reaching out with the force and pushing back two of the armed Stormtroopers back over the walls of the garden from which they had come. She heard them hit the ground hard. Two more faulted over the walls, blasters ready and began to fire.

Artoo squealed and hurried over to a control panel on the wall to sound an alarm as Katia ducked and rolled to get out of the way of the blasts before taking cover behind the fountain at the center of the garden. She gestured with her hand and the two Stormtroopers were lifted off their feet, their heads smashing against one another with enough of an impact to send them reeling in spite of their helmets. Their blasters were torn from their grips and flew into the water of the fountain, rendering them useless. A final Stormtrooper vaulted the wall and began to march around the fountain toward her. Katia spied a downed tree branch on the ground near her and reached for it. It flew effortlessly to her grip and as the Stormtrooper approached she swung hard. He struck back, his blaster striking the wood. Katia ducked as he came at her again, striking him in the knee so that he staggered back. She stood and struck again at the blaster, knocking it from his grasp.

“What do you want?” she yelled as the Stormtrooper scrambled to his feet and ran for the wall along with the others. She gave chase as they cleared the wall and as she leaped to the top intent on following but she was too late. The speeder they had used flew off. Katia turned to see the Alliance guard follow in a ship of their own, giving pursuit.

Before she could contemplate what had just happened another horrible feeling washed over her. Luke… He was in trouble. In the first seconds of the attack she had thought that perhaps these were more of the Empire’s assassins, sent to discover if she had Alliance secrets but now she felt something far more malevolent. Luke was in trouble, big trouble.

She leaped from the wall and hurried over to Artoo. “Artoo, where is Luke?” her voice urgent with worry.

Artoo shook with anxiety.

“See if you can locate him. Quickly!” She turned back to the components and tools on the table. Wherever Luke was, whatever the situation, she could not go into the situation unarmed. Luke’s spare lightsaber was kept under lock and key in his quarters. Perhaps Artoo could break in but she could not interrupt his scans for Luke. She felt the taste of anxiety in her mouth, time was of the essence.

Luke could fight handily but he needed her, she knew. She would not let any harm come to him. She had to help him. The thought of him being hurt or worse…. Katia felt sick.

She rested her hands on the tabletop and breathed deep. For a Jedi, there only peace. She calmed, breathing deep again before she picked up the components, inserted the crystal, made connections….. The mechanism locked together this time, sealing perfectly as she examined the hilt. She held it in her grasp and pressed the button to ignite the blade.

It snapped, lighting, and hummed. The glow and sound filling her with a sense of calm as she smiled. She was ready.

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Exquisite details on each - wanting to make peace again and feeling concerned on Katia's side. =D= Great intensity and urgency of action and threat! [face_nail_biting]

24. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Here is a bit more...

“You’re sure this is it Artoo?” she asked, standing outside the building.

Artoo beeped affirmatively.

“See if you can open the door without setting off any alarms, alright?” she asked. An appendage unfolded and fit into the lock on the door and within seconds Artoo had gained entrance.

“No, you stay here Artoo”, she said. “I should be able to find him.”

Artoo swiveled his head and beeped at her.

“Of course I’ll be careful”, she replied, laying her hand on him. “Don’t worry. I’ll find him.” And with that she slipped inside.

Luke came awake slowly and immediately tried to move only to find himself trapped in the middle of a force field, suspended off the ground in mid-air.

“Welcome Skywalker.”

Luke looked up to see a tall, pale woman with jet black hair and yellow eyes gazing at him intently. Luke sensed a dark, malevolent presence about her.

“Who are you?” he asked.

“My master calls me Lady Hex”, she said with a grin. “That should suffice.”

“Your master?” Luke asked, his mind racing.

“His name is unimportant to you. It is I who will end your life”, she said.

Katia crept down the hallway, noticing the guards standing at the doorway of the chamber from a distance. She needed a way in. She walked quietly back down the hall to where she had noticed an air vent just the right size. She pulled the cover off and crawled through for several meters until she emerged on a catwalk high above. She swallowed hard and shuddered as she looked down into the room below but her heart lifted when she spotted Luke. The woman who appeared to be holding him captive stood before him gloating but Katia could not hear what was being said from this distance. She reached out carefully with the force – trying to let Luke know she was there without giving herself away to his captor who she could see wore a lightsaber which increased the possibility that she was force sensitive. She steeled herself for what she would have to do as she looked down, ignoring the roiling of fear in her stomach. Perhaps the key was not to not feel fear but to be able to face it, not let it consume you. Love is stronger than fear.

Would he die here? Now?

It seemed entirely possible. He was trapped, restrained in the force field. Unable to reach anything or reach to anything.

“The last of the Jedi”, the darksider gloated. “My master will be so pleased once you have been eliminated.”

Luke said nothing, he’d dealt with her kind before. Getting into a verbal sparring battle meant nothing. Of course she saw this and continued on.

“And the girl. Your apprentice?”

He bit the inside of his cheek.

“She should be dead by now.” She smiled, realizing she’d struck bait from the look in his eyes. “Interesting. She is more than just an apprentice isn’t she? You… care for her, more than a master would care for his pupil. Or should I say you cared for her?”

He shut his eyes, closing his mind to the gloating, opening up a tiny corner and protecting it so that she could not see and he searched for her presence, willing himself to be calm. A fissure of regret welled within him. His struggle seemed silly now. Why had he denied what he felt? Tried to push it away? Now, if he died here she would never know the truth about what he felt. His heart clenched. He had tasted her kiss once – on Dagobah. He’d pushed her away and hurt her. Not in showing his feelings but in rejecting them. She loved him, he knew that, and he loved her and he’d hurt her. He could taste her kiss now – soft, tender. It calmed him and he reached out again. Katia…

And he felt her. He sighed in relief. She was shielding herself in the same way he was now shielding his thoughts, trying to hide her presence, but letting him know she was there. Deep pride swelled within him. A better student he could not have asked for. And she was alive. Above…

As the sith lady turned, distracted by a guard, he looked up, saw a shadow more on the catwalk above. And then she leaped, flipping to land on the floor below, crouched in a defensive position, arm extended, a lightsaber in her grip.

A lightsaber…

Luke watched it ignite, the sound crisp, the light from the blade smooth and stable. The yellow beam hummed, ready. She had struggled with this final test and here she stood with her own weapon. He could not have been prouder at that moment.

She met his eye only briefly, focused instead on the woman who stood between them. “Let him go.”

The sith rolled her eyes. “This grows tiresome. Guards – kill her!”

Katia pushed them back with the force and Hex growled, ripping her lightsaber from her belt and igniting the red blade as she advanced on Katia. Luke watched as Katia blocked the first strike. Katia chose to fight offensively and as Luke watched he realized the wisdom of her movements which seemed instinctive yet focused. She drew the attack to herself but yet she was in control causing Hex to grow in fatigue and frustration.

More guards appeared at the door and began to fire. Needing room, Katia surprised Hex with a sudden, defensive movement, a sharp roundhouse kick that caught her in the face and sent her reeling backwards. Katia glanced around and then, spotting the reflective console, she deflected the laser shot handily, causing it to deflect off the screen and then strike the control panel of the force field that held Luke.

The force field dispersed and Luke dropped to the floor on his feet – free. His lightsaber flew from the console where it had been left into his hand as the guards swarmed. He placed himself between them and Katia in order to deflect the blaster fire as she continued to duel with Hex.

Sensing her opponent tiring Katia moved to a more defensive attack, elbowing Hex to the face before slashing away her lightsaber and kicking her again so that she dropped to the floor. She held her saber at the ready but made no move to strike.

“Kill me”, Hex said, grinning in spite of her prone position. “You know that you want to.”

Katia shook her head. “It’s over.”

Luke deflected the last blaster shot back at the guards, who lay wounded and unconscious around the room and began walking toward them. Katia looked up from Hex, a lightning sharp feeling of dread racing up her spin as one of the wounded Stormtroopers raised his blaster and aimed at Luke.

She saw Luke’s face change as he sensed it but before he could react she was there, racing in front of him and pushing him away. Instead of hitting him, the blaster fire glanced off her upper arm, burning through her jacket. She dropped to the floor and Luke covered her body with his own to tamp out the burning. When he looked up Hex was gone.

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb =D= and now we're up to the present moment and looking forward to the teamwork & talk I know will occur with Katia @};-