main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is Kylo Ren's Lightsaber Darth Vader's?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Blake Fever, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jensaarai-defender

Jensaarai-defender Jedi Master star 1

Sep 1, 2008
    I sincerely hope not.

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  3. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

It's molded because the saber was 3D printed.

4. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    it has a vague resemblence in that there are black accents and grip, and is a cylinder. But aside from that, it's as different as any others, really.

5. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    ...I know, it's a joke. The wire's molded on but painted to look like it's separate, helping to make the saber look like a fragile thing.

6. Parparamia

Parparamia Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2004
    Just some observations about Ren's saber. Sorry if they have already been addressed...bu why have the cross "hilt" and why the jagged look to it.

Hit, explained: Ren, not being a classicly trained force user isnt quite good enough to create the saber(assumed), resulting in a less than perfect product. The cross hilt I believe is where the excess saber blade goes...essentially how he controls the length of the saber...instead of dialing it back...the remainder of the power of the saber is just shot out the sides. Just a thought. :)

Jagged look, explained: Also a result of Ren's untrained (assumed) force use...he is unable to properly construct a Lightsaber, resulting in the jagged mess that we see....or perhaps the saber is damaged at the time.

Who knows..but i am most curious to find out why dudes Lightsaber is so bumpy

syferdiasisalie likes this.
  7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The "exhaust" idea was bandied about a lot when the first teaser went online (I can't believe it's been almost a year), but I've never much liked it. It's always made more sense to me that it's a crossguard for the sake of being a crossguard, and its function is the same as on any other sword.

8. Parparamia

Parparamia Jedi Master star 3

Sep 17, 2004
    As far as Ren's Lightsaber being Vaders old saber. It obviously is not the exact same one. But it would make for some good story telling if Vaders old saber had been used for parts...because it was otherwise completely busted and useless... maybe the crystals had been fragmented causing bumpiness of the blade...but because Ren was such a devout Vaderite...that he stuck with the busted blade....i dunno.

9. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I wonder why the KoR don't have any lightsabers and only Kylo has a crude one. They also don't know how to construct one? This would somehow show they are not powerful?

10. wyattkittle

wyattkittle Jedi Youngling

May 15, 2016
    All of the people who knew how to really make lightsabers after Order 66 (Obi-Wan, Anakin/Vader, Yoda, and Sidious) are dead by the time of the Force Awakens. Luke is the only person around (that we know of) that has ever built one, and he used an instruction manual Obi-Wan left him and a synthetic crystal, so he doesn't really count either. So what you have with Kylo is Luke's somewhat knowledge passed on to someone (which means there's a little disconnect between teaching and learning), leaving a crude product. Because the crossguards ignite after the blade in the way they do, it is most likely that it is exhaust, as the design is, again, thirdhand from anyone who really knew what they were doing. The need for exhaust and the unstable blade are both a result of the lightsaber not truly being of sound design, though Kylo does make this advantageous in combat.

As it was, Vader was impressed Luke was even able to figure out how to make one, especially a half-decent one, as Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidious was reasonably opposed to Jedi and wanted to wipe them (and all of their practice) off of the face of the galaxy. Of course he destroyed all of the information about how to build a lightsaber or anything else that might have proved useful to someone who may, one day, try to overthrow him. I would greatly doubt he would be so careless as to let something like that slip by.

Your ability in the Force has little to do with your ability to construct a lightsaber. The only required use of the Force in the process is finding your crystal, but it is in the canon that if someone were to steal your crystals AFTER you've found and readied them, they could build a lightsaber with them, meaning a sneaky Watto could do it if he felt so inclined.

Kylo Ren's saber having anything to do with Vader's saber is redundant and is extremely unlikely to be related, though more strange things have already happened in the Force Awakens

11. One Quarter Portion

One Quarter Portion Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2016
    I think everyone here knows that by now, but this thread dates to before the movie was released.

12. Brando_Calrissian

Brando_Calrissian Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2015
    It is possible that Vader's saber called out to Kylo Ren much like Anakin's calls out to Rey.

13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    oh yeah?

14. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    Maybe the Acolytes of the Beyond did destroy the saber, but Kylo somehow got it back and crafted his saber from the parts?

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Pure speculation on my part: maybe the cracked crystal that Ren used to build his saber came from Vader's and was cracked when the DS2 blew up and the wreckage fell on Endor.

16. Dagobah Dragonsnake

Dagobah Dragonsnake Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2016
    That's actually a very interesting idea. Why would he use a cracked kyber crystal? Perhaps this would account for such a thing.

17. Thane_Kyrell

Thane_Kyrell Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2016
    I think he used Vader's Kyber crystal which is why he needs the cross guards. The crystal was cracked and needed the cross guards to vent the excess heat which created the blades that made up the cross guard.

18. obi-arin-kenobi

obi-arin-kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    It seems likely. Likely because it looks modded. Being Han Solos son, it only seems natural.

Sarge likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I dunno, we'd have to ask Darth Vader if it's his or not.

Thane_Kyrell likes this.
  20. Thane_Kyrell

Thane_Kyrell Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2016
    I think only the crystal is Vader's

21. Darth Trepid

Darth Trepid Jedi Knight

Apr 29, 2014
    I don't think so no, this would also explain why Ren is so desperate to get his hands on Luke's/Anakin's lightsabre. So he can use his grandfathers weapon to carry on his legacy.

Thane_Kyrell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.