main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - OT The First Apprentice - Complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JD1975, Apr 30, 2016.

1. JD1975

JD1975 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2015
    Here is another part - and thanks again!

Luke paced outside the door of Katia’s quarters. He knew she would be alright and that the wound was not sufficient enough to require treatment in the medical bay but he wished that he would have been able to stay while the medic treated her. The blaster burn on her arm was not severe but it gave her a nasty sting.

Aside from his concern over Katia he was troubled by the appearance of Lady Hex and her announcement that she was the apprentice of a dark lord. If the sith rose again it could throw the galaxy into turmoil. There had been no trace of Hex when the Alliance police force had searched the building and though the surviving Stormtroopers had been arrested and interrogated, they had yielded no information. Luke sincerely believed they did not know the location of the dark lord.

Artoo rolled over to Luke, beeping intently.

“No, the medic is still taking care of her”, Luke said staring at the door of her quarters, willing away his impatience.

Artoo beeped again and Luke turned. “Is it really important Artoo?” He had no idea what it was Artoo insisted on telling him but the little droid was persistent. “Alright, what is it?” he sighed.

Artoo activated the playback from his recording program and projected an image of Katia. He stepped closer, frowning in confusion, unsure what this was about.

“I have a task for you. You see, I’ll be going away soon. My training is nearly complete. But there is something I want you to do. After I am gone you must take very good care of your Master. Do you understand?”

Luke’s eyes widened as he listened to her words. When the projection had ended Artoo wailed mournfully. Luke breathed heavily, almost feeling as if he was having a hard time taking in air. It felt like he’d been struck in the gut.

Artoo’s insistent beeping drew his attention once more.

“Don’t worry Artoo. Katia isn’t going anywhere”, he said.

The medic left and before the doors to her quarters could close Luke walked in. He found Katia seated on her bed, her bare arm exposed by her tank top and bandaged.

“Are you alright?” he asked.

“I’m fine. It’s just a flesh wound. It will heal in a few days. It probably won’t even scar”, she said.

Luke looked at the burn scar across her collarbone and felt an empty feeling in his stomach. Now was not the time to discuss it though.

“What’s this about you leaving?” he asked.

“How – how do you…. Artoo! He told you!”

“Why are you leaving?” he asked again.

She sighed and looked down at the floor. “Am I a Jedi?” she asked softly.

“What does that have to do-“ he began, but she cut him off.

“Am I a Jedi?!” she asked, raising her voice.

Surprised by her tone Luke stood for a moment before speaking. “Yes”, he said.

“Then it’s time for me to go. Go out on my own and find my own apprentice to train. That’s the only way the Jedi will rise again. You’ll train another apprentice”, she said.

What she said made sense but Luke could not accept the part about her going.

“You don’t have to leave. You could train alongside me”, he said.

She stared at him. “I can’t” she whispered.

“Why not?”

“Because I can’t hide what I feel for you!”

He stood silent for a moment feeling hope begin to course through him. He sat on the bed beside her. “I feel the same for you”, he said.

She turned and stared at him. Realizing he needed to be completely honest with her he continued. “I hid it, buried it, because I thought it was wrong to feel for you what I do. I was your teacher. But I’ve come to realize there can’t be anything wrong with what I feel for you. I love you.”

Her eyes began to fill and he reached out to take her hand. “Katia, please…. Don’t leave. Don’t leave me. Stay with me. I need you….”

Any other words he may have said were cut off as her lips met his. All coherent thought fled from Luke’s mind as Katia kissed him. He wound his arms around her, pulling her close to him as her own hands slid over his back, one sliding up to tangle in his hair. When the kiss broke, both breathed deep, their foreheads resting on one another, eyes closed.

“Will you stay? Say you’ll stay….”

He didn’t think he had ever wanted anything so badly in his life.

“Yes”, she murmured, before her lips met his again. “Yes.”

The lights of the city and passing speeders occasionally crept into the darkened room. It was nighttime and a cool breeze billowed in from the open windows. Sounds of engines were whispers from outside. Inside though all was calm, quiet, peace.

Luke pulled the blankets up a little further to cover Katia, her head resting against his chest, her arms draped over his torso. After tucking the covers in over her he wrapped his arms around her, holding her close and pressing tender kisses into her hair.

She lifted her head, resting her chin on her hands which she folded atop his chest. He brushed her hair back and grinned broadly. Katia’s eyes went tender with emotion.

“What is it?” he asked.

“It’s nice to see you smile like that”, she said. “You don’t smile often.”

It was true. He’d had very few reasons to smile in the last few years. “It’s because of you”, he said, rolling over and wrapping his arms around her to pull her close again. He looked at her, his eyes intense. “Marry me”, he whispered, bending his head to kiss her. “Say you’ll marry me.”

“Yes”, she whispered back, her hands moving to cup his face.

His lips moved over hers and they didn’t talk for a while.

Luke awoke slowly from a peaceful sleep. The most peaceful he’d had since he didn’t know when. He rolled over intent on drawing the soft, warm body of his love to him. His eyes opened when he felt only the sheets. Squinting, he raised his head and spotted Katia sitting near the foot of the bed, the sheets wrapped around her body.

She turned as he sat up and moved closer to her. “You were sleeping so well I didn’t want to wake you. I just like to watch the sun rise”, she said.

He sat next to her, watching the sun come up beyond the window. “I always liked to watch the suns set on Tatooine”, he remarked.

“I like the sun rise”, she said. “It reminds me that every day is a new beginning.”

He smiled tenderly as he reached up to stroke her hair. “A new beginning”, he agreed, pulling her into his arms and lowering her down once more.

He woke first this time to the sound of the call button being pressed at the door of Katia’s rooms. He slid from the bed as she lay sleeping and pulled on his clothes. When he activated the viewer he saw that Artoo stood in the hallway.

He grinned, unable to be upset with the droid, he was probably anxious to know whether or not he had been able to convince Katia to stay. He stepped out into the hall and the droid beeped enthusiastically.

“Yes Artoo, she’s going to stay”, he said.

Artoo beeped excitedly before relaying another message.

“3PO? He needs to see us?” he turned back toward the door to Katia’s room.

Artoo beeped again.

“Alright”, he sighed. “If it’s that important then take me to him. Katia’s… sleeping.” He felt a twinge of embarrassment at Artoo having a hint as to what had occurred that night but the little droid simply led the way down the hall.

“Perhaps it’s for the best Master Luke, that you see this first. You might help break the news to Mistress Katia”, 3PO said as he stood with the two droids in the medical bay.

“I don’t understand. What’s wrong?” he asked, worried.

“I have been organizing the medical files, going through all of the data drawn during medical procedures. You know that Mistress Katia was here after being injured on Dagobah.”

He nodded.

“Blood was taken from Mistress Katia.”

“I’m aware”, he said.

“The computer made an automatic note in Mistress Katia’s file that I have found during my organization. It states there is a mistake in the information on file.”

“What mistake?” Was this really so important?

“The mistake concerns the late General. The genetic material in Mistress Katia’s blood does not match what is in the General’s file. I have checked several times and the results are conclusive. General Rieekan is not Mistress Katia’s father.”

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    First, SQUEEEEEEE! And then whew, what a revelation at the end there. :eek: =D=

3. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Here is a bit more...

“This can’t be”, Katia said adamantly, shaking her head.

“I’m afraid it is Mistress Katia. The odds of a mistake are 999,999 to 1.”

“Then I’ll take the one”, she replied but Luke saw the shudder go through her. She knew this was the truth, just as he had known that when Darth Vader revealed to him that he was his father that was the truth. He stepped forward and took her hand in his.

“But why…..” she began. “My mother…. My mother looked like me….”

“It is entirely certain that Alleana Rieekan was your mother. Her medical files still exist in the Alderaanian Archives. No such discrepancy was reported between you and your mother.”

Katia’s brow furrowed and she shook her head. “Why didn’t she tell me? Why didn’t they tell me?”

Luke heard a familiar echo in his mind. Ben, why didn’t you tell me? He pushed the thought from his mind. This was about Katia, not about him.

“The Alderaanian Archives still exist?” Luke asked.

“Yes, Master Luke, all the planets allied with the Alliance downloaded their records to the Alliance network. Therefore almost all of the records of Alderaan survived its destruction.”

“Then there would be a record of Katia’s birth?” he asked.

“Most certainly. It is possible that Mistress Katia’s biological father could be listed, although there is a chance that General Rieekan could still be listed as the father depending on what the parties decided to include.”

Luke turned to Katia. She was pale, but her grip on his hand was strong, holding his mechanical hand tightly.

“Look for it”, she said.

“Very good, Mistress Katia. This will only take a few moments”, Threepio paused, as if puzzled. “That is strange.”

“What is?” Katia asked.

“It seems that there are no birth records for you in the Alderaan Archives Mistress Katia.”

Katia’s eyes were downcast as she took a moment to collect herself, to think. Then she lifted her head. “Search the Alliance archives for any potential match for a father – all the databases.”

Luke stood at the entrance of the gardens that night watching as Katia sat by the fountain. She began her usual meditations using the water in the fountain, attempting to calm herself, but no sooner did she begin than the water cascaded back down with an angry splash.

She stood and turned to Luke. Her eyes pained, sad and upset.

“I don’t understand. Why?”

He came over to her and took her hands, guiding her to sit back down.

“Adoptions can happen for many reasons Katia.” He replied.

She breathed deeply, closing her eyes for calm. “I know. And I know I shouldn’t be angry. I don’t know what caused them to…. And anger is not the Jedi way, but….”

“You’re human. It’s what you do with your anger that matters.”

“What I do?! I don’t know what to do!” She stood once more. Tears of confusion and frustration cascaded down her cheeks. “I – I don’t even know who I am anymore!”

He stood up and cupped her face in his hands. “I know who you are. You’re kind, wise, intelligent, strong and devoted; and I love you. That will never change – never”, he said, his voice adamant.

Then he wrapped his arms around her and held her tight while she wept.

He stroked Katia’s hair as she lay sleeping. It had taken her a long time to find the peace of sleep that evening but sleep did not come for him. He was concerned for her and wished he could take her pain away. There was something about all this…. He didn’t know what, but the feeling was there.

The beep of a message sounded from the computer terminal in the other room and Luke rose from his seat on the edge of Katia’s bed and went to investigate. It was a message from C-3PO.

“Ah, Master Luke. Artoo and I have found a match for Mistress Katia’s father, but it is…. Well…. Most… interesting. Frankly I am not sure how this information could be correct. It is most surprising.”

“Who is he?” Luke turned at the sound of Katia’s voice. She stood in the doorway of the room and approached the computer terminal.

C-3PO began to hesitate and turned to look at Artoo who beeped. “As I said I do not see how this could be possible but genetically speaking there is a match between your DNA, Mistress Katia, and your mother’s and this individual. The match is significant enough to qualify as a parent. It’s just….”

“Show me the file”, she said.

“Very well”, Threepio said.

The medical file appeared on the screen but Luke recognized the picture before he saw the name. He’d had no idea that the Alliance maintained records like this but he assumed they would have been present in the databases of the Clone Wars. The man he now stared at was younger in this image then he remembered. He was stunned for a moment to see him in his youth but it was a face he would know anywhere.”

“How…how….” Katia breathed.

“I – I don’t know….” Luke replied.

“We also found an entry in the same database for Mistress Katia’s mother”, Threepio’s voice continued over the image.

“The same database?” Luke asked, blinking in surprise.

“Yes, Master Luke”, Threepio said.

The screen split to reveal both files simultaneously. Luke stared at the screen in disbelief. Katia’s true father’s identity was not the only secret Alleana Rieekan had been keeping.

4. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015

“It’s him isn’t it? I mean, you would know…”

Luke nodded.

“I don’t understand…. Obi-Wan Kenobi….. And he never spoke of…. A child?”

He heard the twinge of hurt in her voice and shook off his own shock. He took her hand and shook his head.

“And… my mother… why is she listed in this database? I never knew her name before she married my…. General Rieekan.”

Luke looked again at the two medical files listed on the computer screen. One was for Obi-Wan Kenobi and the other was for Alleana Len. Both files were from the Jedi temple on Coruscant.

“I think…” Luke began. “That your mother may have been a Jedi.”

Meanwhile….

“I have failed Master”, Hex said, unable to lift her head.

“Not so fast.”

She raised her eyes in surprise.

“There is a ripple in the force. I am not sure yet what exactly it means but it has something to do with Skywalker’s apprentice.”

“I will go after her again Master”, Hex said, steeling herself. The taste of hate for Katia Rieekan was strong in her mouth. “This time I will kill her.”

“No”, he replied.

“No?” she whispered.

“Not yet”, he decided. “We will let Rieekan and Skywalker be for now. Until I can discern what is happening we will wait.”

Hex frowned, patience had never been her strong suit but she bowed in compliance. “Yes, my master.”

Later that evening Luke returned to Katia’s quarters. It had been agreed that Threepio and Artoo were to maintain confidentiality with regard to the information they had discovered. The situation was too precarious for Katia to reveal what she had learned – at least until they knew more.

His mind spun with possibilities. He had never had any indication that Obi-Wan had fathered a child. Perhaps he hadn’t known? And Katia’s mother – a Jedi also. Now Katia’s prowess in the marketplace when he’d first discovered her made sense. Not only was her father a powerful Jedi master but her mother had been a Jedi also. That meant that Katia’s mother had also somehow survived the emperor and his father’s purge.

He entered Katia’s rooms to find her exactly where he’d left her – sitting at her desk and staring at her parent’s pictures on the computer screen. He sat next to her and looked at the pictures once more himself. Katia did resemble her mother very much with long dark hair and friendly, warm eyes. Obi-Wan’s hair was not grey but a reddish-brown, his beard neatly trimmed.

“I never saw her use the force Luke”, Katia said, staring at the screen. “Not once. How could I not know….”

“You were younger and not yet trained.”

“She could have trained me.”

Luke didn’t know what to say. “Maybe there was a reason – a reason she kept things hidden, kept herself hidden. Maybe she was trying to protect you…. Maybe they both were.”

“Obi-Wan remained on Tatooine from the time you were born until you found the droids?” she asked.

“As far as I know but I can’t be certain.”

“I’m five years younger than you. Are there any birth records archived on Tatooine?”

Luke shook his head. “It was a rural community. Tatooine’s records were spoty at best.”

“And a paper trail wouldn’t have helped two Jedi trying to remain hidden”, she replied.

“I’m going to ask Artoo and Threepio to search for more information on my mother. I want to know what they can find around the time I was born.”

Luke took her hand. “Whatever you need”, he said.

“Artoo did find one record of interest Mistress Katia”, Threepio stated the following day. “Show her Artoo.”

The droid beeped in compliance and projected the image. It was a passenger list for individuals leaving Tatooine on a transport.

“On the fifth line from the bottom there is an entry for an Anna Le. You can see that she has purchased passage for herself and an infant child.”

“A child….” Katia murmured, staring at the image. Could Anna Le be Alleana Len traveling under a pseudonym? “What was the destination?”

“The two made many connections on various worlds according to passenger records but their final destination was Alderaan”, Threepio stated.

“It has to be my mother and I”, Katia said, turning to Luke.

“Bail Organa was on Alderaan. It’s possible she was going there. He could have offered her some protection.”

“But why leave Tatooine?” Katia asked.

“Perhaps it was done to protect you. If the Empire were to find Obi-Wan you and your mother would have both been in danger as well.”

“So they separated. He remained and she took me.”

“It’s possible”, Luke said.

“There’s so much I still don’t know. I could have been born on Tatooine”, she went silent for a moment, thinking. “Luke”, she began. “Would you do something for me?”

“Anything”, he said.

“Would you take me to Tatooine?”

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] [face_dancing] I was thinking/hoping/had a feeling it was Obi-Wan. :cool: Very nice. And :eek: Hex and her mysterious Master are still a threat. [face_worried]

6. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Here is a bit more - thanks again for reading and commenting! A bit of backstory on my Katia/Obi-Wan idea. I'd been thinking on this story a long time and thought it would be interesting if Luke had a love interest and possible student who was Obi-Wan's daughter but then I abandoned it thinking it would come across as being too far-fetched and difficult to realistically explain. I wanted to make her father someone known/important so I came up with General Rieekan - and truthfully I liked the sound of Katia Rieekan LOL. In fact my earliest plan was to make Katia Obi-Wan's daughter and a secret student of Yoda's before Luke and in that incarnation it was Yoda who gave Katia the test on Dagobah and fused her collarbone. I think at the end though it was more dramatic for Luke to do it. As I've been reading a bit of the possible fan theories for the events we see in TFA I realized that maybe my original idea as to Katia's parentage might be believable to fans after all so I figured out a way to make it work. Don't want to give away too much of my story yet but thought it would be interesting to explain how this story came to be :)

Luke sat at the controls of the shuttle, passing a glance at Katia who stared outside the window, deep in thought. He knew that her mind was full, trying to comprehend all that had occurred in the last few days. There had been so much for her to deal with – the knowledge that her beloved father was really her stepfather, that her biological father was Obi-Wan Kenobi and that her mother had been a Jedi as well. It was a lot to wrap one’s head around to say the least. Luke was deeply concerned for her and eager to be there to support her in whatever way he could which was why he felt guilty for his feelings of anxiety concerning Katia’s feelings for him.

After their night together there had been little talk of love, precious little time for anything of a romantic nature. He understood that, of course, but he knew Katia was focused on her search for answers right now. He couldn’t help but wonder at the end of this where he would fit in or if he still would.

“There’s Tatooine now”, Luke said as they dropped out of hyperspace and the planet came into view.

Katia leaned forward to stare out the window. “The last time I was here I was a baby”, she whispered.

“I can set down near Obi-Wan’s home”, Luke said, guiding the shuttle to the surface.

The sand blew around them as they set down in the Jundland Wastes and then calmed as Luke completed the landing. Once everything had settled the old abandoned moisture prospector’s farm where Obi-Wan had lived came into view. The house was visible through the shuttles windshield. It felt like forever since Luke had last been there. He turned to look at Katia and found her staring at it intensely.

“Let’s go”, she said, standing and moving to exit the shuttle.

He followed as they walked to the house. It was still abandoned, as it had been, but not in bad shape at all. They entered and Luke watched as Katia walked around inside. He had never seen her so focused. It was as if something in this place spoke to her.

“There’s something…. It feels like… like home….” she whispered as she laid a hand against the wall and stopped. “There’s something else”, she said, her voice stronger, determined. “Something I have to find. I think it’s something for me.” She began to look around the mostly empty room before looking down at the door at her feet. “Where does this go?”

“A cave beneath, like a cellar”, he said, lifting it open for her and following her down.

Katia walked around the empty space. Luke knew better than to speak. It seemed as if there was nothing there but he knew the force was a powerful thing – if Katia felt something it was real. She walked to the back of the cave and began to pull at a rock about a foot long in length. Though not heavy it was tightly wedged in so that it looked almost as if it was one with the wall of the cave. Luke moved to help her and together they pulled it loose revealing an opening. Katia reached inside and pulled out a small projection device as well as a bulging sack full of small data files.

They carried the items back upstairs where Katia laid the projector onto the floor and switched it on. It activated and an image of a younger Obi-Wan Kenobi appeared and then he spoke.

“Katia I hope it is you who hears this, for if not I fear all is lost. If we have been successful the Empire has been destroyed and peace returned to the galaxy and you, my daughter, are safe. In the long years of my solitude I have recorded as much as I could for you telling you about my life and all I have learned, all the knowledge I have as a Jedi. With this projector you have also found the surviving data that Master Yoda and I removed from the archives at the Jedi temple. It is all that was left following its destruction and the massacre there and many files were damaged or missing. What remains was left in my care and now I leave it in yours.”

“But as much as all of this is important”, Obi-Wan said, frowning and breathing deep as he looked down at the floor and then back up again. “Of even more importance is you. I have also recorded here the story of your mother and I and how she came to be on Tatooine with me - and your story.” Here his eyes turned tender. “For have no doubt Katia that you were a precious gift given to us, a source of joy in a time of desperation. Know this – I loved both you and your mother and there was not a single day in my life that both of you were far from my thoughts. Could I have kept the both of you with me I would have but regardless of my mission on Tatooine, which I will tell you about in my messages here, to remain with you and your mother would have endangered her and you and while your mother would gladly have risked herself to remain here she knew you would be safer away from me and her love for you, like mine, knew no bounds. And while the separation from the two of you was necessary, I took no pleasure in it. Hope of you and your mother’s safety helped to sustain me and Master Yoda’s mission for me here gave my life a purpose, a meaning, a way to right my mistakes. All of this is recorded here for you, my daughter. You have many gifts Katia. From the moment of your birth your mother and I knew the force was with you. I pray that it has kept you safe and guided you here and that you will learn to use it and I pray that you do not bear me ill – for of all the burdens in my life that would be the most unbearable for me. My Katia… know that I am always with you.”

As the message ended the number of recordings on the device appeared. It was well into the thousands.

Tears streamed down Katia’s cheeks as she turned to Luke and he wrapped his arms around her as she wept against his chest. “He loved me….” She cried.

“Of course he did”, Luke murmured into her hair as he rocked her in his arms. “How could he not?”

Luke returned to the house after checking on the shuttle. He found Katia sitting on one of the old chairs. Her hands were folded in her lap and she wore a pensive look on her face. She looked up at him and he could see the trepidation in her eyes as he felt his heart clench.

“I think I need to stay here for now – by myself”, she said.

7. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Here is a little bit more :)

He was on Endor, in the midst of the Ewok village, during the celebration following the destruction of the second Death Star. The hour was late and the party was still well under way yet he felt removed from it all. He had arrived back at the village, greeted warmly by his sister and friends, and even after Leia had drawn him back into the celebration he’d still been feeling remote and removed from it all, solitary and alone. He didn’t know whether he felt like mourning or rejoicing – perhaps a little of both.

He stepped away, sitting wearily and leaning back against the trunk of a tree when he noticed a crowd drawing around someone. He saw it was General Rieekan being warmly greeted by many of the rebel pilots and behind him….

He stood, meeting her eye, and she smiled warmly, separating herself from the crowd and moving toward him. He moved down to meet her halfway, crossing over a bridge that was shaded from the rest of the revelers by trees.

He smiled and quickened his pace as she hurried over the bridge, racing into his arms. He held her tightly, closing his eyes.

“Are you alright?” she whispered.

He nodded against her neck. He had so much he wanted to tell her but right now, here, this was what he needed. He wasn’t sure exactly how long he stood there holding on to her. Finally, she lifted her head to look up at him, the moonlight bathing her features in a gentle glow. She reached up and stroked his cheek.

“Come to me”, she whispered.

He looked at her in confusion. What could she mean? She was here… with him… now…. But she hadn’t been on Endor. Her father, her step-father, had kept her far away from the fighting…. And now he knew why.

And then everything fell away and he opened his eyes. He was alone in his bed at Alliance Headquarters. Alone… the way he had been for several months since leaving Katia on Tatooine. He’d heard from her sporadically – not that that was purposeful. Communication with the outer rim was often dicey at best. He knew she was alright but not much else.

Come to me....

Luke sat up. Was the dream more than just a dream? He rubbed his tired eyes – he’d not slept well since he’d left Katia – and focused.

Come to me….

Tossing the covers aside Luke stood up and pulled on his clothes. “Artoo”, he called into the other room.

The droid beeped and rolled into the bedroom.

“See about having my x-wing prepped for a morning departure”, he said.

He’d missed piloting the x-wing. The single person fighter was exhilarating to maneuver in deep space. It was relaxing to be at its controls again. He didn’t particularly miss the battles but this… sitting at the controls of the fighter… he missed.

As he dropped out of hyperspace Artoo beeped, signaling their approach to Tatooine. He thought back to the day he’d left. It had nearly broken him to leave Katia there but he couldn’t say no…. No matter how much he wanted to hold on to her….

“You want to stay here? Alone?” he asked in disbelief.

“I need to be here – to have time where my father lived. To feel… to learn…. It’s just something I need to do Luke”, she said, her eyes pleading with him to understand.

He swallowed. “And what about…. Us…” He couldn’t help but ask. He understood what she needed to do but he needed her also. Guilt plagued him and he felt selfish.

Katia stepped forward, laying a hand on his arm. “I love you. Nothing’s changed, but I just need time” she said.

“And… the marriage?” They hadn’t had time to speak of marriage since she’d accepted his proposal.

“I meant every word I said. I still want that, I just need time. Luke, please understand…” A tear slid down her cheek and he pulled her close. How could he say no?

He’d been concerned about leaving her. After all there were dangers on Tatooine, but he knew that Katia was able to defend herself and in the end he had held her close, kissed her goodbye and left on the shuttle.

As he’d left the planet’s atmosphere he’d felt like he’d left a part of himself behind.

Now as he approached the landing site in the Jundland Wastes he wondered what she would think when she saw him. He’d only come to visit, he’d reassure her. He wasn’t coming to make her leave with him but he had to see her.

He landed the x-wing and, still in his flight suit, grabbed a bag and jumped down. Artoo lowered himself from the fighter.

“There’s a shelter where you can power up on the other side of the house”, Luke said as Artoo beeped in the affirmative and sped away.

Luke looked toward the house and then sighed. She wasn’t there, he could tell. He glanced around him spotting no one. Was she alright, he wondered? Had she gone into town for provisions?

Relief flooded through him when he looked up again and spotted her approaching on the road from town. She stopped short upon seeing him and his x-wing. Luke held his breath until he saw her lift the hem of the robe she wore to protect herself from the heat of Tatooine’s twin suns and ran to him. When she reached the front yard she launched herself into his arms, lifting her head for his kiss.

The kiss… it was full of pent up emotion and longing, hungry, intense and long. Luke allowed himself to revel in it. Love… he felt it… it washed over him in waves… Katia’s love for him. He felt a weight lifted from him, felt himself relax for the first time in months.

When the kiss ended she buried her face in his neck and held him tight. “I’m so glad you’re here”, she murmured, lifting her head to look at him.

He smiled, bending to kiss her again only to be interrupted by a gust of wind blowing sand against their skin. He gently pushed Katia’s head down, sheltering her from the stinging sand with his own body.

“There’s a sandstorm blowing in”, he said, already needing to raise his voice to be heard over the wind.

“Come on – let’s go inside”, she said. With their arms wrapped around each other’s waists they made their way to the house and once the door was shut behind them and the fierce wind locked outside he took her into his arms once more.

Luke tossed another stick of synthetic wood into the fire in the stove then turned back to where Katia lay in the bed of pillows and blankets they’d made on the floor. She was propped up on her side, her chin resting in the palm of her hand. As he made his way to her she lifted the blanket so that he could slid back inside with her.

“The temperature’s dropping”, he said, pressing kisses to her face. “It must be night by now.”

“How long could the storm last?” she asked. The strong wind was just audible beyond the heavy stone walls of the house.

“It’s the season. If it’s a bad one it could be a few days”, he said.

“Is Artoo alright?”

“Yes, plenty of shelter for him.”

“And I have enough food for us”, she said, snuggling close to him. “I’m looking forward to being stuck inside with you for a few days.” She trailed her fingertips along his back.

“I missed you”, he whispered.

“I could tell”, she said, grinning mischievously.

Luke chuckled.

“But”, she said, trailing a finger along the barely visible rings beneath his eyes. “You haven’t been sleeping well again.”

“The best night’s sleep I’ve had is when you’re with me.”

“I’m sorry”, she said, her voice soft.

“Don’t be”, he replied. “I understand.”

“I know. And I’ve learned so much. I have so much to tell you.”

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Exquisite. I don't know if I have mentioned this already but your LUke is nummy. :D And Katia :) - she feels right for him, so totally. [face_love] Thank you for giving them to each other.

9. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Here's a bit more.... Having a little writer's block on where to go next. I could end this soon and I think I know what the ending will look like but I'm not sure whether or not I'm ready to let go of Luke and Katia just yet. Need to think on this.... [face_thinking]

“My father knew my mother in passing at the Jedi Temple. Truthfully at the start she probably knew more about him than he did about her. While he was fighting in the Clone Wars she worked with the Jedi Healers at the Temple. He was very well known. My mother was younger than him – she wasn’t one of his contemporaries – and she never really had a chance to converse with him until he was injured in a lightsaber duel with a Sith Lord named Dooku. When he returned to the Jedi Temple on Coruscant she helped to heal his wounds. It was the first time she’d spoken to him at length. I think, perhaps, they may have liked each other even then but the Jedi frowned on attachment and the War and the rise of the Empire kept them both apart. Then Order 66 came and the Jedi were massacred. Your father turned and my father and Yoda went into exile, Yoda on Dagobah and my father watching over you here.”

“But your mother ended up here, on Tatooine. That means she survived Order 66.”

“My father and Yoda were able to gain access to the Temple and send out a warning to any remaining Jedi who may have escaped to stay away. My mother was far away from the war, on a mission on behalf of the Healing Masters to locate certain crystals and herbs to treat the injured. She heard the message and tried to go into hiding also.”

“Tried? So she was found?” Luke asked.

“Yes, chased through space and hunted. Her ship was damaged and sent crashing toward the surface of Tatooine. She was injured in the crash and would have been killed by the Stormtroopers who pursued her if it weren’t for my father. He saw the ship go down and went to investigate. He fought with the Stormtroopers and they were all killed. Then he looked in the ship and found my mother unconscious. He brought her back here and tended her.”

“And they fell in love.”

Katia nodded. “With the Jedi gone I suppose the idea of no attachment had lost its purpose. They were two lost souls – alone.”

“And then you were born to them”, he continued.

“Yes. They knew that I would be in grave danger if the Empire knew I existed. They decided the best way to protect me was for my mother to take me away. It wasn’t what they wanted but they knew they had to. They sacrificed what they shared for me”, Katia said, her voice sad.

“You were their daughter”, Luke said, stroking her hair as he held her against his chest.

“I know. I’d give my life for my own child so I understand. After that”, she continued. “My mother made her way to Alderaan with me. She met my step-father and married him. He raised me as his own. He knew my secret and kept me as far away from the fighting during the years of war with the Empire. My mother sent an encrypted message to my father – she took a big risk but she needed him to know that she and I were safe and happy. I do believe my mother loved my step-father and my father knew this and accepted it. Though it pained him he wanted her to be safe and happy and he felt he could not give her that life. My mother hid her powers but continued to work nursing the injured on Alderaan. I suppose it gave her life meaning.”

“Katia, I know your mother died before the war was over but why didn’t the General ever tell you the truth.”

Katia bit her lip. “I’m not sure he knew the right course of action after my mother died. My father was dead. Master Yoda was dead. But there was something my father said to me before he died. He told me that if I was ever in need of help I should go to Princess Leia and her brother Commander Skywalker. I thought nothing of it since you were both so well known throughout the Alliance. Perhaps that was his way of sending me in the right direction. Maybe he was afraid for me.”

“I found something else”, she said, turning to the projector that sat atop a table nearby. “Access image 1295.”

An image appeared of Obi-Wan in middle age, seated beside a young woman holding a small baby in her arms. The young woman looked a great deal like Katia. Obi-Wan had his arm wrapped around her and they both gazed tenderly down at the infant with love and pride.

“Look at my mother’s wrist”, she said.

On Alleana Len’s wrist was the same bracelet Katia wore. “My mother had told me that my father gave it to her before I was born. I had assumed at the time that father was General Rieekan but it was Obi-Wan. I’ve seen bracelets like this sold in town. He gave it to her”, she said, stroking the bracelet on her wrist as the image disappeared.

They held each other quietly for a time until Katia broke the silence.

“What is it?” she asked, sensing Luke’s mood.

“I wonder…. What he would think of…. Of us”, he said. He had not seen visions of Obi-Wan in some time. How would his old mentor feel about his relationship with his daughter?

“He’s fine with that”, she said, snuggling closer and kissing his chest.

“I know you feel that. I just wish I could-“

“I don’t just feel it. I know it”, she interrupted.

“You know it?”

“He told me.”

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] Great details and wonderful certainty from Katia. (I'm not ready to let go of the two of them either). [face_love] :D It is a surprise and a pleasure to read about Luke happy with someone sweet and brave. He deserves that. [face_love]

11. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    Hopefully this part isn't too sappy or terrible!

“He… told you? You’ve seen him?” Luke asked, his eyes widening.

She nodded and smiled. “He’s happy that you trained me. You were like a son to him and he said he could want no one better for his daughter.”

Luke thought fondly of his first mentor. He had opened the door for Luke – as he had said, allowing him to take his first steps into a larger world. That alone had been a gift and now he had given his approval to his relationship with his daughter. He adored Katia and he made a promise to her father that he would honor and protect her for the rest of his life.

Luke smiled as he sat watching Katia ladle the stew she had made for them. She really is beautiful, he thought. Her hair fell loose about her shoulders and the fire caught the highlights that had been brought out by Tatooine’s twin suns. She wore a white sleeping gown with a scoop neck and no sleeves that fell just to her knees. He’d seen more skin shown by the dancers in Jabba’s palace but to him, Katia, here now, was the loveliest sight he’d ever seen and far more desirable.

Katia handed Luke a bowl and sat down beside him amidst the rumpled blankets. He tasted the food and looked at her in surprise. “This is good!”

“Don’t sound so amazed”, she laughed. “Did you think I couldn’t cook?”

“No, of course not”, he said. “I’ve just never seen you do it.”

“There hasn’t been much time for me to do it and we get meals so easily at Alliance Headquarters. I’ve cooked ever since my mother died.”

“I’ll never be hungry again”, Luke said, pleased when she smiled at the compliment.

When they finished and the bowls were cleared away they sat looking at one another for a few seconds before, by unspoken agreement, Katia moved over into his arms once more. Luke kissed her as she wrapped her arms around his neck. His lips trailed down her throat. “The softest skin….” He murmured. The nightgown slipped from her shoulder revealing the scar across her collarbone. He stopped and pressed a kiss there before trailing his fingertip over it, his eyes sad.

“We never really talked about this”, Luke said.

She placed her hands on either side of his face and lifted his head to look at her. “It doesn’t bother me”, she said, her voice gentle.

“Still”, Luke said, “the pain I caused you….”

She shook her head. “You caused me no pain.”

“Katia….”

“The test you gave me was fair. My fear needed to be faced. You didn’t know what would happen and Master Yoda told you the future is always in motion. As far as setting my collarbone and cauterizing it, well, that was my idea.” She stroked his hair. “You need to let go of your guilt. There’s no reason for it.”

He did not answer her directly because he was unsure if he could ever let go of it. “I love you so much”, he breathed, wrapping his arms around her and resting his chin on her shoulder. “When I’m with you everything is calm, peaceful….”

He lay down with her in his arms so that they were facing each other. She grinned, her fingers intertwined with those of his artificial hand. “Tell me more”, she said, teasing.

Her kissed her fingers and smiled. He looked into her eyes and felt his breath quicken as he indulged her. “Your smile is so sweet and your hair smells like flowers. Your eyes change color – they shift from green to brown and back with flecks of gold. When I hold you it feels like I’m complete. Sweet Katia….” He brought his head close to kiss her and when the kiss ended she pressed soft kisses over his face in gratitude. He closed his eyes until she stopped and spoke.

“You have a scar here”, she whispered, her finger tracing a line near his right eye.

He reached up, touching the spot. “I didn’t think it was noticeable. The bacta took care of almost all of it.”

“Well I’m closer to you then most, I’d guess”, she said with a smile. “How did you get it?”

“On Hoth. I was out with Han, Leia’s husband, on patrol when I was attacked by a Wampa. He took a swipe at me, knocked me out and dragged me back to his cave to have me for dinner. I managed to get away. Would have frozen in the snow if Han hadn’t found me.”

“Wampa? Those were those snow beast things?”

“The General told you about them?”

She nodded. “It could have killed you”, she said. He could feel her trembling. Truthfully he could have been killed many times over in many different situations.

“Hey”, he said, pulling her close. “I’m alright. I’m here. With you.”

She sighed. “I know. I wish I had been there with you. I’d wanted to work in the medical facilities but my father said it was too dangerous. Now I know he was trying to keep me hidden.”

“You would have been the prettiest nurse there”, he said, stroking her hair. “And I would have fallen in love with you in a second.”

“Back when you were a young, hotshot pilot. Commander of your squadron”, she said with a grin.

“I wonder if the General’s daughter would have looked at me twice?” he teased.

“Oh, she would have. A lot more than twice”, she replied, her tone turned serious as she stroked his face. “You know, don’t you? How much I love you?”

He nodded, his eyes tender, before he kissed her again.

Later, Luke lay beside Katia watching her sleep and stroking her back. He could hear the wind beginning to wane outside. The sandstorm was nearing its end. Luke frowned. If Katia continued her isolation here to commune with her father’s spirit how would he ever leave her?

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Sweet - I like it when couples can have such moments to look back on and recall when things become hard, not necessarily between them - but when they have to face challenges and remember what they mean to one another. @};-

I always think Luke is the kind that savors the people he cares about. :)

This is a strong theme in a fic I'm working on - if you ever forget who matters to you and why, then you're on the edge of disaster. The two of them being caring with one another - delicious!

13. JD1975

Dec 19, 2015
    My apologies for letting this go for so long before updating - real life and writer's block have gotten in my way. I thought it best to end this story here. However - this is not the end for Luke and Katia. I decided it would be better to continue their story with a second story rather than go off on a totally separate plot line here. I do have some ideas for what happens next but they are not as fleshed out as what I had here - this story was basically complete in my head before I started. I definitely appreciate any feedback on Luke and Katia they may help me in the next story. Thanks again for reading!

Katia stirred at the sound of movement, opening her eyes and sitting up. Luke was coming back in from being outside. He sat down beside her. “Good morning”, he said, kissing her gently.

“Good morning”, she said, blinking back the last vestiges of sleep. “Storm over?”

“Yes, Artoo’s checking the x-wing”. He reached for his bag. “I have something I wanted to give to you”, he added, pulling a small cloth pouch out and placing in her hand. “Open it.”

She opened the pouch and emptied the contents into her hand. It was a ring of three interlocking bands, all in various shades of gold. She smiled as she ran her finger over the metal.

“The vendor said it stood for the past, the present and the future.”

Katia gazed at the ring. “In the past I was Katia Rieekan. Now, in the present, I know I’m Katia Kenobi.”

“I guess you’ll have to decide if you’re going to continue to use Rieekan or use Kenobi.”

“Actually I’ve given that some thought. I think the best name for me to use for the future would be Skywalker”, she looked up at him and smiled.

Luke’s eyes widened and a slow smile spread across his face as he took in what that meant.

“I’m ready now”, she said. “Do you think you could follow my transport back to Alliance space with your x-wing?”

Luke grinned and nodded, pulling her into his arms and holding her close as she laughed.

“All set?” Luke asked Artoo who beeped affirmatively. “Alright then. I’ll see if Katia’s ready.”

He walked back to the house. “Katia –“, he began, stopping short. Katia stood in the center of the room but she was not alone. Turning to look at him was the spirit of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

The older man smiled and nodded. “Luke”, he said.

Luke walked to stand next to Katia, reaching for her hand. He swallowed as a wave of emotion swept over him. “Been a long time Ben”, he said.

“Yes, much has changed and yet not really”, Obi-Wan said. “I am in your debt Master Skywalker.”

“Master? No – not me”, he replied.

“Oh no? You have trained my daughter – trained her well”, he said, smiling at Katia.

“It wasn’t so difficult”, Luke replied, looking at Katia, his eyes tender. “She is strong and wise and very gifted, with a good heart.”

“Yes”, Obi-Wan said, smiling as he looked at her with pride. “Like her mother.”

“And you”, Katia said.

“You honor me. It is every father’s wish that his child surpass him and I know that you will”, he said.

Katia shook her head, her eyes filling.

Obi-Wan turned to Luke. “Katia has waited for you to view the temple archives.”

Luke looked at her in surprise. “You haven’t looked at that yet?”

“I wanted you to have them. They should be yours – for the new order that will rise with your students. I will be at your side, always, helping in any way I can, but this new order will come from you.”

“Let’s talk about that again sometime”, Luke said, unwilling to take all of the credit for any future order. He was determined that he and Katia would do that together. He turned to Obi-Wan. “Katia is a strong Jedi and I know she can take care of herself but you have my word; I will do everything to keep her safe.”

“Of that I have no doubt”, Obi-Wan said. “Katia”, he continued, turning to his daughter. “The time has come and you are ready to leave this place. Your future lies ahead of you but remember this – I am always with you.”

Katia squeezed Luke’s hand and stepped closer to the shimmering image of her father. “I know that….Father.”

Obi-Wan smiled at her before he faded away from sight. Katia breathed deeply before turning to Luke and, reaching out, took his hand once more. “Let’s go”, she said.

“You summoned me Master”, Hex said, bowing before the shimmering image.

“I have a plan to lure Skywalker and Rieekan to us.”

“Lure them to us?”

“I have something of value to them”, he said. “When the time is right, they will come for them. See for yourself”, he gestured over to a crate.

Hex lifted the lid and gazed at the two lightsabers inside. She frowned as she lifted first one and then the other. “Whose weapons are these?” she asked.

“One was Skywalker’s, used by his father and then inherited by him. It was recovered from Bespin and delivered into my hands. The other is the lightsaber of his mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi taken off of the first Death Star before it was destroyed.”

“And you believe Skywalker and Rieekan will come for these?”

“I believe they are sentimental fools, yes, or do you doubt me Lady Hex?”

She bowed low. “Never, my master, it will be done as you command.”

The End (for now…..)

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Bravo on a fine and superb finish: blending sweetness with moving toward a bright future and then ominous rumblings of a future threat. I eagerly await the next installment.

Katia has been a joy to read. @};-