main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga And Let the Shadows Fall Behind You (DDC2016, Obi-Wan) Entry 13, September 9

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JadeLotus, Jan 23, 2016.

1. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Sorry for being so negligent in replying to your earlier posts; they are all wonderful and lyrical and a true joy to read.

Obi-wan has found a new side to him here on Alderaan. Leia is, naturally, a stubborn pupil whose natural intelligence and sense of what is right and truthful calls him to consider what his real purpose is. And Sabe shares such a history with him. There are events and secrets that only they know and that no one else understands. It's not surprising that he finds himself attracted to such a strong woman.

I'm looking forward to reading more.:)

2. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Ohhh! This was lovely! I adored the juxtaposition of Leia's personality and Luke's - how different they are, indeed. Your Sabé is everything I love her to be. What a great ear for Obi-Wan's confessions; as I said before, I love their friendship and what you've done with it here is wonderful. As for that ending...how gentlemanly of Obi-Wan to not kiss and tell. You certainly know the way to my shippers heart! [face_love] Fantastic job!

3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I love how your li'l!Leia so immensely different from the li'l!Luke we met in last year's diary: he's open and caring and empathic, she's type-A and scrappy with an (almost too) finely honed sense of what's right and wrong. And wow, it takes nothing less than an Obi-Wan to have such presence of mind in that first accusatory conversation with her—I'd be between peeing my pants with unease and wanting to wring her little neck! [face_laughing] Obi-Wan shows incredible presence of mind on his first conversation with her—I'd pee my pants with unease! But that, in a way, is the kind of conversation in which Obi-Wan shines his brightest, because few others in the SW universe have the talent for negotiation that he does. It doesn't take him long to find a topic of conversation that wins her over—I'm somehow not at all surprised, even at this young age, that she's interested in the idea of generals, and it's portentous, of course. [face_batting] It will be interesting to see what form his "teaching her how to do things in her head" takes.

Nice that Obi-Wan gets to enjoy another sweet moment with Sabé, though in true mother avian style I'm hoping it won't come back to haunt him later and that nothing will happen to make him regret telling Sabé the whole story about Luke and the Larses. She wouldn't blab, would she? [face_nail_biting]

4. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Obi-Wan and Sabe have always been evenly matched, and in some ways the counterparts/mirror versions of Anakin and Padme - they deserve a little happiness with each other, even if it is fleeing.

Leia is tuned into a chain of command even from an early age, and once Obi-Wan realises that being a General is more likely to get a response he can play that role.

Well, the Jedi Code forbids attachment, not necessarily hanky-panky, so Obi-Wan can certain point of view this way out of this...

Obi-Wan needs to get his groove back, so to speak, and Sabe in some respects is the perfect person to do that, because she doesn't relate to him as a Jedi, but just as an old friend. She of all people understands and appreciates his position, and wrm and tender affection can work wonders.

The contrast between Luke and Leia is one of my favourite things to explore, and its particularly apparent when they're both so young. And I thought you might like the ending, even if Obi-Wan is too much of a gentleman to transcribe the details... My Sabe owes a lot to you, so thanks for the inspiration!

They really are two sides of the same coin and contrary reflections of their parents - how much is nature and how much nuture is of course ambiguous.

I think Obi-Wan is quite adept at managing children because he rarely treats them that way - a great deal of his negotiating skills come into play since Leia is a formidable opponent. Although she does not hold a military rank in the OT, I can see this style would appeal to her because of her personality and her monarchical upbringing.

Sabe can be trusted to keep Obi-Wan's secrets ;)

5. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Findswoman gaarastar58 Briannakin

Entry 6

Dear Qui-Gon,

I am pleased to report that my lessons with Leia have progressed nicely. She is studious and bright, and I think much to that is thanks to Sabé, her erstwhile governess. And yet I see a great deal of Bail in her as well; that single-minded drive in everything she does, and already she shows half of Breha’s poise although she does not yet possess her restraint.

We do not speak of the Force, although I do not lie to the child either. I teach her “special skills” which are primarily directed to strengthening her mind and will so that even under direct probing her Force sensitivity should not be detected. Unfortunately as she grows these barriers will strengthen even further, and her mind will not be easy to unlock. She may not even remember our lessons – oh, she may have a vague recollection of me, dear “General Kenobi” as she has taken to calling me in private, but her special skills will no doubt merge with all her other lessons. Perhaps that is as it should be.

But events have turned. I accompanied the family and Sabé to the public gardens, where a variety of sculptures by local artists had been collected as part of the millennial celebrations. They were quite beautiful, although I confess many of them I did not understand, and Sabé would patiently explain the media used, the possible meanings, and tidbits about the artist if she knew them well.

Leia would chime in occasionally, and I was impressed by the young girl’s insight although I know art to be vitally important to Alderaanian culture and studied since birth. Bail and Breha walked a few paces in front of us arm in arm, nodding regally at their subjects as they passed, occasionally stopping to converse with them.

One piece caught my eye, a large charcoal sculpture carved into a triangular. On the walls were etched words I knew to be Old Alderaanian although I could not decipher them. Around the base were scattered five pillars, clearly broken off the sculpture where jagged spires jutted out of the stepped apex. From these open wounds emanated a billowing, translucent material of grey and red that danced in the air.

Sabé didn’t need to explain the piece to me – I had seen the Jedi Temple burn with my own eyes.

“It’s called The Death of Peace,” she told me softly, putting a hand on my arm. But I was transfixed, all the memories and pain of that day flooding back.

“Sabé.” Breha’s voice, unusually curt, and I turned to see a tall, silver-haired man in an Imperial uniform approach briskly. I could see from the bars on his chest that he was of high rank, and quickly fixed my expression into one of neutrality.

“Governor Maxiam,” Breha greeted the officer evenly. “Nice of you to attend our celebrations and see the rich culture Alderaan has to offer.”

“Yes.” Maxiam examined his fingernails with disinterest. “I am well aware of your – culture – your Majesty. In fact, I am inundated with it.”

“Good morning, Governor.” Leia stepped forward and curtseyed sweetly. “It is our pleasure to welcome you to our gardens.”

Out the corner of my eye I saw Sabé smile, pride in her pupil clear. It seemed to work, a chip falling away from Maxiam’s cold exterior.

“Thank you, Princess,” he said to her, before his gaze drifted to me. “And who is your guest?”

“This is my cousin, Ben,” Breha introduced me.

“Ah,” Maxiam nodded and waved his hand airily. “Forgive me. You Organas are so numerous it is hard to keep track. Your cousin, you say? Bellum’s son?”

“No, Ben is my third cousin,” Breha lied smoothly. “Great Great Grandmama Alderia had ten children, the youngest of which-”

Maxiam held up his hand to stop her. “Please,” he said, rubbing his forehead. “No more family history.”

Breha’s smile betrayed no relief, although she must have felt it. “As you wish.”

“And what is this?” Maxiam brushed past me to examine the sculpture more closely.

“A work of great skill,” Bail said tightly. “Perhaps it depicts the smoking mountains in the South Seas.”

“No.” Maxiam turned back to face Bail very slowly. “Senator Organa, you know what this is, just as I do. You were a witness to this event.”

“What are you implying, Governor?” Breha’s voice was steel. “We do not censor our artists, they are free to submit any piece they feel appropriate.”

“And this?” Maxiam gestured to the sculpture. “I assure you the Emperor would not feel it appropriate.” He removed a commlink from his belt and thumbed it on. “Commander Vidian, locate and arrest,” he examined the sculpture plate for the name of the artist, “Pasquale Allidia.” Maxiam turned off the device and took a menacing step towards Breha. Bail stepped in between them, and the two men stood eye to eye.

“I advise you not to interfere,” Maxiam said, his voice low and dangerous. “Unless you want to Emperor to think you are complicit. I am sure Lord Vader will be vigilant when he arrives next month to ensure something like this doesn’t happen again. For your daughter’s sake - I hope not.”

A muscle in Bail’s jaw visibly clenched, and he glanced down a Leia, looking at Maxiam with wide eyes. He stepped aside and allowed the man to pass, his shoulders sagging slightly.

“There wasn’t anything you could have done,” I assured him when Maxiam was out of sight, trying not to think of the fate of the artist.

“But that’s not fair,” Leia whispered softly, a frown marring her pretty face.

“I know.” Bail scooped her into his arms and held her close.

“What kind of monarch am I, who cannot protect her own people?” Breha asked, looking despondent. Bail put his arm around her too, the three standing there together and I felt inadequate to comfort them. There would be many such choices ahead, and there was nothing I could do to change that.

Sabé tugged lightly on my arm, and led me back to her quarters where she prepared the tea – black and bitter, this time. Appropriate.

“I have to go,” I told her. “I’ve been away from Luke too long, and I cannot be here when Vader is.”

Sabé nodded and took a sip of her tea. “You think he will come earlier?”

“It’s possible.” I stroked my chin, actually looking forward to growing out my beard again. “Especially if he is looking for anything treasonous.”

“And Leia?”

“She will be fine,” I assured her. “I’ve taught her all I can. Well…all that was asked of me. I will miss her, though,” I added at Sabé’s soft smile. “I will miss you all.”

I knew she would never ask me to stay, although it was doubtless on her mind. Force knows it was on mine. But I had made a vow to Luke, and as much as I cared for Leia she was not my charge. In truth, I missed the boy terribly.

“Leia told me she’s stopped having her dreams,” Sabé said, placing her cup down in its saucer and turning it slightly. “About the boy who lives in the sun.”

“Yes.” I sighed. “I regret that connection is probably lost to her now.” A side effect of her Force barriers; an unwelcome but unavoidable one.

“In her dreams she was a girl in the mountain, who would call the sun to her when it set so they could play together.” When Sabé raised her eyes to mine, they were wet. “Appropriate, don’t you think?”

“Indeed.” I took a sip of tea, the bitterness welcome on my tongue.

“The last dream she had, she woke up crying,” Sabé added, her usually cool countenance starting to crack. “He’s so lonely, she said. So I know you must go back, that your place is with Luke.” She shifted around the table to sit next to me, her small hands grasping mine. “But I worry about you, Obi-Wan,” she said, squeezing my hand. “Out there in the desert with no one to talk to.”

My heart ached to think of Luke all alone, wondering if he’d noticed my absence, if his loneliness was in part because of me. As much as I wanted to see him again, I was not looking forward to returning

"I have Qui-Gon," I said somewhat feebly. "And Yoda, if I feel I need a scolding."

"I mean a friend of flesh and blood," she said, a smile quirking her lips. "Everyone needs that."

"I'll get by," I whispered, kissing her forehead and choosing not to mention my eopie Rooh. Somehow even though she fit the criteria I doubt Sabé would find her adequate either.

“If you ever so feel alone,” she told me, turning her face upward to mine. “Just remember, someone is out there, thinking of you fondly.”

She kissed me then, and we did not speak further, since words were unnecessary and goodbyes unspoken.

I met with Leia and her parents the following morning to bid my farewells. I tried reaching out to Leia through the Force, and felt nothing out the ordinary which gives me both comfort in the knowledge of her safety, and disquiet that the Force within her is suppressed. Although necessary, I can't quite forgive myself for the act.

But Bail and Breha are grateful enough, Bail shaking my hand firmly and Breha giving me a warm embrace. I tell them not to worry about Vader, that their concern will be felt keenly by him, and he will wonder why. Trust in the Force, I advise them, and in your daughter, whose mind is stronger than anyone I have ever known.

“Goodbye, my little cadet,” I crouched down to Leia’s eye level, and pinched her cheek fondly. “You’ve done so well.”

Leia wrinkled her nose at me, mischief sparkling in those large brown eyes. “Don’t I deserve a promotion then?”

I laughed. “Fair enough,” I winked at her, unable to deny the child such acknowledgement. “My little Lieutenant.”

“General.” She stood to attention and saluted me, one a returned with pride and a promise. One day, I will awaken the Force in her again – perhaps when Luke is grown I can bring him to her, and reunite the family I played a part in tearing apart.

Yes. I feel this in the Force, Qui-Gon, in my very bones. I do not know when, or how, but one day Luke and Leia will see each other once more. After all, the sun crests and embraces the mountain before the two are separated during the long day. But always, the sun sets and touches the horizon again, for the two cannot be kept apart.

Their separations may be frequent and long, but they will always find one another.

Obi-Wan Kenobi

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Lovely insights about Leia's strengths and precocity! =D=
    Maxiam - that officious pompous jerkface! :mad:
    Sweet and gentle talk with Sabe.

But this:
    I do not know when, or how, but one day Luke and Leia will see each other once more. After all, the sun crests and embraces the mountain before the two are separated during the long day. But always, the sun sets and touches the horizon again, for the two cannot be kept apart. Their separations may be frequent and long, but they will always find one another.

Gorgeous!

=D= @};-

AzureAngel2 and JadeLotus like this.
  7. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Hehehehe. I just loved this bit.

I quite enjoyed Obi-Wan's time on Alderaan, little Leia and the Organas - plus Sabe - were such a warm treat for him and for us.

The last paragraph was simply beautiful.

8. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Ouch, creepy Imperial governor! Bail and Breha need to be more cautious about their allegiances -- not only for themselves, but also for their subjects and for Leia. I love how you portrayed her as a child version of the stubborn teenager we meet in ANH.

The Obi-Wan/Sabé scenes were melty-melt all over the place. I wonder if you'll have them manage to keep in touch after Obi-Wan is back on Tatooine.

And of course, I'm very curious to see what happens next -- will Obi-Wan manage to see Luke a little bit more, and will his help be needed on Alderaan again, even from a distance?

9. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Thank you! I was thinking a lot about the new canon in this chapter, and particularly Luke and Leia being separated once again before the events of TFA. And while Luke is undoubtably the sun, Leia is a mountain - strong and immovable.

Thank you! I really enjoyed a glimpse at Court Life with the Organas - it really is too bad Obi-wan has to leave, but of course cduty is paramount.

I don't think Sheev ever had any question about Bail's loyalties, but was happy enough to let them go because of public support - for a time at least. They would however learn quickly, I think, to keep their rebellion underground after incidents such as this.

And I have such a soft spot for Obi-Wan and Sabe and all that might have been - it will give him fond memories if nothing else.

10. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh my gosh, I thought I had actually commented on this, but I guess not! :eek: So many goodbyes and partings—between the current state of the Galaxy and the current state of himself, goodbyes and partings are like a regular feature of Obi-Wan's life these days. Just as he makes or strengthens a connection with someone, he has to leave them behind, it seems—that was true of Luke at first and now of Leia, the Organas, and Sabé, all in different ways. But ALL those people are flesh-and-blood people who will have fond memories of him, and I hope that thought at least brings.

As others have said, nice nod here to TFA!Leia, whom we see here in miniature form. She will make a good mountain—I'd say she's well on her way even now!

Glad to see this reappearing, and curious to see what the Force and the Galaxy will bring Obi-Wan's way next. :)

11. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005

Thank you!

When I think of Leia, I remember the quote from Mulan - "no matter how hard the wind blows, the mountain cannot bow to it." It fits, I think, even when Leia is so young.

And you're right, Obi-Wan's life is a succession of goodbyes, I hadn't thought of it that way, but it is so true. In some ways perhaps that is the true path of a Jedi, however painful it must be, but gratifying in the knowledge that he has had a good influence on Leia, the Organas and Sabe at least.

Tags: Findswoman gaarastar58 Briannakin

Entry 7

Dear Qui-Gon,

So to Tatooine I have returned, and yet this time the sight of the desert did not fill me with dread and sorrow. The hot, arid air was almost welcome on my face, the sight of the vast sand plains and red rock a strange sort of comfort. You must be laughing, my friend, to see me – ever the fastidious, civilised student, who would not brook even a loose hair on my robe, become a desert child. For all its faults, the planet has grown on me; it has a kind of wildness which makes me believe anything to be possible. The dry wind blows over the sand every day, slowly tearing down the old dunes and making new ones in their place. There is a kind of futility in that, and yet hope as well, because nothing is fixed, and life moves ever on.

Except, it seems, at Jabba’s Palace. His spies must be effective, for I had not been home an hour before a had a visitor. It was a Zelton female, her pink skin almost red from the trek across the desert. The chain around her neck told me she was Jabba’s slave, and even without it I would have known from the fearful look in her eyes. She was skittish, her gaze always darting around as if expecting her doom at any moment.

“You must be exhausted, my dear,” I said, drawing her into the kitchen and drawing her to my table. She took a seat rather reluctantly.

“I mustn’t stay too long,” she said, her bird-like voice barely a whisper as I placed a cup of tea in front of her.

“Time enough to drink that,” I urged her, taking a seat across the table. “It is a special blend – it will revitalise you.”

A gift from Sabé – as much tea as I could fit in my travelling case, and a wide variety far beyond what even the importers and marketeers in Mos Eisley could offer. In particular, a blend of Alderaanian swellblossoms and flikus roots known to have healing properties. I had left a small box on Beru’s windowsill when I had gone to check on Luke, allowing myself a peak through into the home where I noted how much he’d grown in the short time he’d been away. Tomorrow, I will make a longer inspection, but for now I hope Beru will accept the gift even though she would have no doubt as to the source.

The girl sipped the tea with both hands on the cup and her head bowed, as if she’d been given a great honour.

“What’s your name?” I asked.

“Marei,” she answered without looking up.

“Marei,” I repeated, the name pleasant to hear. “So why did Jabba choose to send you?”

She put down the cup and when she lifted her gaze she looked wounded. “Don’t you remember me?”
    I was confused for only a moment, and then remembered that awful day standing before Jabba’s throne to save Luke’s future. I had disposed of Jabba’s minions and taken the memory from his majordomo, but couldn’t bring myself to wipe the mind of the innocent slave girl who had witnessed everything.

“Yes,” I said, suitably chastised. “I remember you.”

“Most people don’t,” Marei said with a shrug of her shoulders. “And sometimes to ones who do are worse.”

I dared not let my thoughts dwell in that direction – I felt bad enough for the girl without having to think of the full horrors she faced in her life. “You are safe here, child.”

“I’m not safe anywhere,” Marei said softly, taking another sip of her tea, her hands gripping the cup tightly. “But Jabba gave no message – he only wanted to make sure you were here. I don’t know why he sent me.”

She was Jabba’s message, I realised. A reminder of his power lest my trip away had given me ideas of rebellion against him.

“You must wonder why I don’t run.” Marei looked up again, her eyes so dark they were almost black. “But my chain isn’t here,” she put down her cup and touched the terrible device around her neck. “It’s here.” She indicated a spot behind her right ear.

“You have an implant?” It was hardly surprising – Anakin had told me enough about how Tatooine slave masters kept control over their property.

Marei nodded, her eyes pleading with me. “I have heard of the Jedi. The legends say you helped those who needed it.”

“Yes,” I said cautiously, worried at where the conversation was heading. “But I regret that I am not able to help all that I should.”

Marei took a few deep breaths, as if working up the courage. “I wondered if you could…destroy the implant with your powers.”

I hesitated but then rose, crossing around to Maraei’s side and waving my hand over the skin behind her ear. I could sense the device, evil thing that it was, but it was intricate and I had never had an affinity for such things. If Anakin were here…

“I’m sorry,” I told her, and meant it. “I cannot be sure not to trigger the deadman switch.”

“I’ve thought about it a lot,” she said, turning her dark eyes up to me. “Tried to convince myself to walk out into the desert and end my suffering, but I was too scared. But I would have courage if there’s a chance, and either way I would be free.”

“I’m sorry,” I said again, retreating knowing that my words were painfully inadequate. “I could not take the risk.”

Marei nodded and looked back down, clearly she had been expecting such an answer. “I understand – Jabba would know you did it, and punish that orphan boy.”

“That’s not why,” I tried to explain, unsure if she would believe me. I knelt down at her side and gently lay my hand over hers. She looked at me again, this time her black eyes leaking tears. “I swear on the Force and my eternal soul, if I can find a way to help you I will.”

“I would not want to boy to be hurt,” Marei almost whispered. “He seemed so sweet – I asked around about him. They didn’t know the farm couple, but some recognised the name Skywalker. Said it as a slave name.”

“His father was a slave, many years ago,” I told her, my heart fit to break and never repair. “But he was freed, so you see there is always hope.”

I heard a small whinny behind me, and turned to see Rooh had found her way into the house again. I had housed her at Anchorhead while I was gone, and she had barely left my side since. But I was no longer her focus, as she nudged me aside with her snout and lay her head in Marei’s lap. The girl began to cry in earnest and pressed her face into Rooh’s hide, and I took the opportunity to steal away for a few minutes. I knew how wonderful Rooh’s comfort could be, and hoped that Iit had given the girl some relief from the pain of her life.

When I returned Marei was almost smiling, chatting softly to Rooh and patting her lightly on the head. Eventually though, Marei rose, glancing outside at the suns which had started their afternoon descent.

“Here,” I gave her a pouch filled with glittergems – a gift from Breha for just this purpose. “This is enough to pay the tithe on the Lars farm for the next two decades at least. Tell Jabba that I work only for his silence now.”

Marei nodded her head, although I doubted she understood. “And don’t forget my promise,” I told her as she left. “I will find a way.”

“Thank you,” she said softly, although I could tell she didn’t believe me. I can only repeat my promise to you, Qui-Gon, and pledge myself to proving my words.

Obi-Wan Kenobi

12. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    I remember well the Jabba's Palace scene in Turn Your Face to the Sun, and ever since then I'd been wondering when, if, and how Obi-Wan's failure to help the slave girl might come back to haunt him later. Well, now it has, in absolute spades—even more than I could have imagine! That episode colors their entire interaction here, too, and indeed almost repeats itself in a more complex form: from the fact that she remembers him even though he doesn't immediately remember her (because he seems at least to remember that she's the sort of person whom one isn't supposed to remember, if that makes sense), to his refusal to help destroy her implant (not that his concern about the deadman's switch isn't valid, but still...) while still making a vague promise to do what he can to help her. It's a noble one, indeed; I don't doubt that he's sincere, and of course I hope he will get the chance, but this is a man who has a bit of a history of biting off more than he can chew. [face_nail_biting]

At least it looks like he'll be able to do some good for the Larses, at least for now, and I hope this payment to Jabba will be the beginning of renewed good relations between them and Obi-Wan. [face_praying]

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful post here showing Kenobi's surprise, or is it mine [face_laugh] that Tatooine feels like home especially after Alderaan with its lovely lushness... [face_thinking] Ah, Marei - she is a sympathetic character already and Obi-Wan feels compassion. I am so happy nothing has been able to squelch that. His attitude about things you cannot change is hard-learned and one some never do. @};- =D=

14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Interesting ties back to last year's diary. I wonder how this will all play out. Not even an hour back home and Obi-Wan is already in the middle of something. Who ever said Tatooine was boring?

15. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I am glad that you are back with the next part of this beautiful story.

And you managed to captivate me from the first sentence on. I said so once before, you write a wonderful, mature Obi-Wan. He reflects his life and actions a lot, gives his best to better himself.

In the first chapters of this story you send him to Alderaan and I feel in love with that planet immediately. So serene, so peaceful.

I like his short "hanky panky" as another user put it with Sabé. To give her such a brilliant back story and character upgrade was well done.

Little Leia broke my heart and I hope he taught her well to keep hidden in sight of watchful eyes.

It seems like their ways will never cross again in this life. Unless for a holo message sent.

16. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    For all of his hard work and although his life has been by no means easy, Obi-Wan has lived in extreme privilege and his tendency to embrace diplomacy and the greater good has meant he often looks past the ills of the world simply because it is the status quo - as a feeling person he abhors slavery but his cultural privilege has meant it's been easy for him to look past. Now his life is one of supreme self-examination and he's more inclined to take action as living on Tatooine it's a problem he can no longer ignore or explain away by necessity.

We can only hope, although by now he appreciates he can never really regain their trust - as least by ANH Owen still has no tender regard for him ;)

Thank you! Rather than familiarity breeding contempt, I think Obi-Wan had gotten rather fond of Tatooine, at least in some small way.

Not me! I love Tatooine (from a distance!) Obi-Wan just can't stay out of trouble - even as a hermit he can't quite keep himself completely isolated ;)

Thank you! I love Alderaan, too, it seems like a planet where I'd like to live. And I've grown rather fond of Sabe and her role as Leia's mentor - and of course it gave Obi-Wan some much needed comfort and happiness. And Leia - poor girl is in for a lifetime of pain, as is Luke...

Tags: @Findswoman @gaarastar58 @Briannakin

Entry 8

Dear Qui-Gon,

My thoughts these days are often on Marei, that poor piteous slave of Jabba the Hutt's, who every day must wonder if her dance will not be enough to satisfy him, and the last thing she ever sees will be the rancor’s teeth. Tatooine is full of slaves, and as I Jedi I have learnt to know the limits of my influence – we are small in number, Yoda used to say, and cannot expect from ourselves the impossible. Well, we are even smaller in number now, and yet somehow I feel my responsibilities have not been similarly culled.

I have my duties to Luke, of course, his safety is always paramount. But now I find myself resolved to look beyond, and help those I looked past or ignored before. There are no more wars to fight, not so no more excuses of serving the greater good. I know I cannot make a dent in the slave trade here on Tatooine; the culture is too ingrained and the Masters too powerful, and yet I am resolved to keep my promise to Marei.

I travelled to Mos Espa and purchased a collection of second hand slave collars and implants from a local dealer, thankful that if nothing else they would never be used on another sentient being. The sycophantic ways of the slimy middle-aged human made me sick – he told me of his cousin arriving next week with a new shipment of slaves and offered me a good price. I had to swallow the bile and feign interest so not to arouse suspicion, and heard many details of the family trade.

I wonder is the man’s cousin is weak enough to withstand my best methods of persuasion. I am minded to head off the shipment and convince him to see the folly of his lifestyle, although that path is fraught with danger. I risk being exposed if it does not work, or even if it does the Hutts would not take kindly to the idea of liberated slaves and would spare no resources hunting the responsible party. Jabba would surely suspect my involvement, and even if he did not, imagine if he asked me to discover the culprit! I will have to consider this some more.

But I digress. I have come to an acquaintance of sorts with Lotty Mustrap, the proprietor of The Weary Traveller in Anchorhead. It is a good place for a drink and to overhear local gossip – Lotty is happy enough to share when I bring her something exotic from Mos Espa or offworld. This time, it was a dozen red-flesh melons which she could sell at a premium or include in her drinks as a nice flourish. I kept a few for myself, although for a different purpose.

“The Sand People are getting restless,” she told me, her weathered face creasing with concern. “Been seen near some of the farms on Klavern Ridge, gettin’ too close for comfort.”

“Have they come into the salt flats?” I asked, worried that the Lars farm could be a target.

“Nah,” Lotty shook her head. “They wouldn’t dare come so close, not now the farmers are organised.”

“Oh?”

“Yeah, Owen Lars was in here the other night riling ‘em all up. Gotta defend their families, he said. Sand People are a menace – they killed his stepmother, you know.”

“Yes, I…heard.” I terrible loss, she had left behind two sons; neither had ever recovered and her loss spurned them both to cling desperately to their remaining family.

“Terrible business.” Lotty shook her head. “Shmi was a kind woman – I see her grandson around town sometimes. Do you know little Luke Skywalker?”

“I’m familiar with the family,” I said, trying to sound disinterested even though I was desperate to hear news of them.

“Sweet boy,” Lotty smiled. “Brings me desert flowers sometimes. But like I said, Owen’s in a tizzy about the Sand People, and the farmer’s have worked out a good enough defence for anyone who gets too close.”

I remembered the disaster of the Pika Oasis years ago, and how Orrin Gault had almost orchestrated a war. No doubt Owen had far better motives, but his vehemence worried me, and I wondered why the Sand People would stray so far from their borders.

“You don’t think they’ll form a raiding party, do you?” That was my chief concern.

“Not yet,” Lotty told me, although I could see she shared my worries. “The worst the Sand People have done is steal some livestock, but if they attack a homestead…”

“I suppose we can only hope they do not.” I finished my drink and rose. “Thank you, Lotty, as always your company has been a treasure.”

“Get out of here, you flirt.” Lotty smirked and waved me away.

I returned home with fresh worries to add to my not insignificant collection, and attempted to be productive. I took out the remaining melons I had and inserted the slave implants deep into the ripe flesh, activating them via remote. The first melon was experimental – I reached out through the Force and attempted to simply deactivate the tracking.

The melon exploded, red flesh flying everywhere, coating the walls of my kitchen, staining my robes and sticking to my face. The device was only intended to kill the slave it was bound to, so I was unhurt but naturally disappointed. Clearly, this would be no easy task, but regardless I set my mind to work with the remaining melons.

It took hours of concentration, attempting to identify the elements of the device in the Force to isolate the deadman switch and deactivate, but my efforts only ended in burnt-out implants and a face full of goopy fruit.

“Rooh!” I called out to the eopie who would no doubt be happy to clean the fruit off my walls with her tongue. When she did not enter I reached out through the Force, surprised to find she was far away. It was not unlike her to roam and I made no effort to keep her penned, and yet she must have left almost immediately after we returned from Anchorhead, as if she had some purpose.

When I touched her mind to indicate she should return home I felt her anxiety – something had scared her and I immediately left to find her in the desert. Night was approaching but I did not care, knowing Rooh would not be easily unsettled.

I thought back to the journey from Anchorhead, and recalled she had wanted to follow some scent or another she had picked up. But I was weary and disinclined for adventure and had led her firmly home, thinking she had just found some friendly animal tribe or another.

But clearly, it had been something else. I found her out in the Dune Sea, clearly on her way home although her manner was agitated. She looked at me with her large dark eyes and when I touched her mind again I felt a mother’s love for her cub, and a strong sense of danger.

“What is it, girl?” I stroked her neck, but she pulled away and turned back the way she had come. “Alright, I’ll follow.”

She ducked down for me so I could mount, and then took off speedily into the night, following the scent she had picked up earlier, and had no doubt followed to find the source before returning to get me. In the ride it was easier to merge my mind with hers, to feel the sand under my feet and follow the instincts of my snout.

That was when I realised what she had found – the scent was the Sand People, there was no mistaking it. But there was another, so familiar to Rooh when he had carefully rubbed her hide, given her childish hugs and talked to her like no human ever had.

It was Luke.

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb post. Loved that he tried to experiment with the deactivation & got information from Lotty. But :eek: that ending [face_worried] I have a feeling Kenobi will become involved in the Larses' activities whether they wish it or not, although if he saves Luke from some soort of tragedy, that will endear him to Beru again, although Owen will doubtless be a harder sell. :p

18. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    I like Lotty—she's got very much that no-nonsense, sho-nuff, middle-aged saloon-keeper attitude. :) But this news of hers is definitely worrisome. What's behind this increased aggression on the part of the Sand People, if anything in particular? That said, for some reason knowing that Owen is the one stirring up the other farmers to take action against them gives me pause too, just because he has a history of being so... well, wrathful. I almost fear he would be too violent toward them.

I'm glad to see too that Obi-Wan is keeping his promise to at least try to find a way to help Marei and other slaves, and the melon experiment is a very cool way to start going about that, even if it is kind of a mess and hasn't led to much in the way of concrete results so far. But "if at first you don't succeed...," and all that. To isolate that one little bitty deadman's switch in there—that seems to call for someone with the skills of technometry. [face_thinking]

And then Luke turns up, smelling at least partly like the Sand People! :eek: What on earth is the story behind this, I wonder? It sounds almost as though some of Obi-Wan's fears about the situation Lotty related have been realized, or close to realized... [face_thinking] At least the little fellow is safe and all in one piece, thank the Force for that. :)

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I loved Lotty. It's good for Obi-Wan to have some interactions with people.

But that ending! How could you leave it there. No doubt Luke's scent entangled with that of the sand people has something to do with Owen's actions the few nights before.

20. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    The Obi-Wan you write about goes places, interacts with folk & is very thoughtful. I like him.better than the old hermit that appeared in ANH. He is much more fun. And mature without being arrogant.

21. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Thank you! Obi-Wan needs some local allies and information sources, not to mention some company once in a while.

It was only a matter of time before he had to slip back into role as protector, which will hopefully help repair his relationship with the Lars'

Tatooine produces practical and no-nonsense people as a rule, I think, especially those who hear and see everything!

Owen has good reason to hate the Sand People, but such a grudge can blind someone to reason, especially now someone else he loves is in danger. It can easily lead to bad decision making and make matters worse.

He certainly does! Obi-Wan has many skills, but that's not one of them.

Poor thing needs someone to talk to!

I love an evil cliffie ;)

Thank you! Obi-Wan has become one of my favourite characters, although I admit I prefer younger Obi to older/Force Ghost Obi.

Tags: @Findswoman @gaarastar58 @Briannakin

Entry 9

One would never describe Tatooine as a planet with any safe time of day, but travelling across the desert after sunsdown is the most perilous time of all. Night brings out the beasts ready to feed on wayward travelers and cubs who have strayed too far from their pack, and more dangerous still are the Sand People. During the day concealment is their art, only revealing themselves to those who foolishly find themselves in the Wastes the Tuskens have claimed as their own. But at night the entire desert is their dominion and woe befalls all who trespass.

I could sense Rooh’s fear as we travelled deeper into Tusken territory – the only thing stronger was her determination, and I patted her neck in reassurance as she followed Luke’s scent across the desert. I reached out for him through the Force as well, and the answering glimmer made me breathe a sigh of relief – he was still alive.

It was dark by the time we reached the Tusken camp – their fires the only light between the barren and rocky cliffs. I stopped a safe distance away and dismounted, rubbing Rooh’s snout gently.

“Wait here for me, girl,” I whispered, knowing that her presence would rile the Bantha herd which was hunkered down just beyond the camp. Rooh whinnied in response, unwilling to let me go alone but I impressed upon her the need to rest, as it was likely she would need all of her strength to carry myself and Luke back across the Wastes at high speed.

I made my way slowly towards the camp, and from the bone sculptures at the edge to ward off trespassers it was not a tribe I was familiar with. Yet my experience with A’Yark’s Raiders had shown me that the Sand People were not the mindless and brutal monsters the moisture farmers believed them to be. They were intelligent, and so they could be reasoned with. I tried not to think about how a band of them had kidnapped Anakin’s mother and tortured her to death without cause, and instead focused on the task as hand, reaching out to the Force for calm and confidence.

There were two sentries standing guard by the first tent, and it was impossible to avoid their attention. Instead, I raised my hands to show them my empty palms and slowly advanced as they held out their gaderffii sticks and growled a warning in their native language.

“I am no threat,” I spoke loudly, imbuing the Force behind my words. “I have only come for the boy.”

The sentries conversed between themselves, and then one beckoned me forward. I was cautious, knowing that it was just as likely he would bash my head in as take me into the camp, and I was relieved when he pressed the end of his gaderffii stick lightly to my chest as the other moved behind me to touch his weapon to my back. Held thus they led me into the camp, calling out with their baying tongue to their clanmates.

A group of twenty or so were gathered around the campfire, among them men, women and children distinguished by their masks and cowls. My eyes scanned the area, breathing a deep sigh of relief when I spotted a mop of blond hair by the fire, the only person not covered in thick robes and face coverings. He appeared unharmed, although his hands were bound in front of him.

“Luke!” I started to walk towards him, but the sentries hissed and pressed their sticks into my chest and back. The pressure held me firm, but I had attracted Luke’s attention and he looked up at me with obvious relief. He then turned to the Tusken sitting beside him, which I identified as the clan shaman based on the necklace of bone he wore around his neck.

“That’s Ben,” Luke said. “Don’t hurt him, he’s my friend.”

The Shaman beckoned me closer, and the sentries released me. I walked forward, slightly perplexed but taking the time to catalogue exactly how I could grab Luke and fight my way out if necessary. Always my last option, but important to consider if negotiations went south.

As I approached the Shaman held out his hand – he wanted an offering. I had little on my person and knew that the Sand People cared little for Tatooine currency. Then I remembered the Tuskens held water sacred; believed it to be theirs by right which was the root of their conflict with the settlers.

I grasped my waterskin and held it out to the Shaman, bowing my head in deference. Another clan member snatched it from me and presented it to the Shaman, who unscrewed the lid and sniffed the water before taking a sip. He muttered a few words in Tusken and then nodded, passing the water to the rest of the clan to drink in turn.

“Luke,” I said softly while they were occupied. “What happened?”

“I was trying to help,” he told me earnestly. “Uncle Owen and the others were talking about striking first, and Aunt Beru was so scared. I thought if I could explain things, everything would be okay, no one would get hurt.”

The Shaman bayed at me to draw my attention, gesturing to Luke and then to me. I sought understanding through the Force, and made out the word ‘prisoner’ and ‘withdraw.’

You could get hurt. They plan to hold you hostage, Luke,” I said evenly. “Return you only for exchange for reclaimed land.” It was something I knew the farmers would never agree to – this would start a war which would never end.

The Shaman pointed to me again and then back to the camp entrance, his meaning plain enough.

“They want me to take terms back to the farmers,” I explained to Luke. “But don’t worry, I will not leave you here.”

Luke looked at me somewhat petulantly, and then shrugged and scuffed his booted feet in the sand. But I didn’t have time to dwell on his strange reaction, and turned back to the Shaman.

“Let me take the boy as a sign of good faith,” I said, spreading my palms outward to indicate conciliation. “I will make sure the farmer’s will not breach your territory nor divert your water supplies. None of us want war.”

A few of the younger Tuskens began to chant and beat their chests, but I knew posturing when I saw it. The elders were too careful and knew that fighting with the humans would only drain resources and give them little in return. The Shaman held out his hands and stood, silencing the cries of his people. Then he pointed to me, and gestured to the camp entrance – go, he seemed to say. Do what you say you can.

Then he pointed to the ground, and lay a hand on Luke’s head. The boy will stay.

I looked around at the camp, and wondered if the Shaman’s words could restrain his people. I was unwilling to take the chance - Luke would not be safe, and there was no way I could agree to the proposition.

“No,” I shook my head and unhooked my lightsaber from my belt, igniting the blue blade. “He is coming with me now.”

It had the desired effect – the women began to screech and the young men who had been so brave only moments ago were suddenly cowering in fear. The Shaman drew back pointing at me and repeating one word over and over – a word I knew.

Demon.

“Luke,” I said calmly, my eyes on the Shaman so he would understand that I was serious. “Come here.”

The boy looked up to the Shaman as if for permission, but the Tusken seemed to have forgotten he was present. Luke stood and waddled over, twisting his bound hands in front of him. It made quick work of the bindings with my lightsaber, and he gasped and looked up at me in wonder.

I put one hand on Luke’s shoulder and drew him with me as I walked backwards, holding out my blade in a warning. I could taste their fear – the sight of my lightsaber had struck something visceral deep inside the tribe, something they were unwilling to challenge.

Rooh was waiting just outside the camp, and I hurriedly placed Luke onto her back before climbing up myself. She took off immediately in a fast gallop, putting distance between us and the Tuskens in a matter of minutes. I had feared them following on their banthas, but it seemed the fear was too strong and for that I was grateful. Once far enough from the camp Rooh slowed down to a walk, and I turned my attention to my Luke.

“What were you thinking?” I asked, unable to keep the anger from my voice. “We were lucky to get out of there alive.”

Luke shrugged, and I was unable to see his face or read his mood through the Force. It seemed my lessons in that regard had worked, and he now instinctively hid his emotions.

“They didn’t hurt me.”

“But they could have,” I chided him. “All actions have consequences, Luke, even if your intentions are good.”

Luke was silent for a long time, but his shoulders were stiff and he grasped the saddle tightly. I sighed, not wanting to be too harsh on the boy but needing him to understand.

“Why don’t you come to see me anymore, Ben?” His words were soft and plaintive in the darkness.

I was caught off guard, unsure of what to say since I did not wish him to think badly of his uncle, for myself for that matter. I thought back to the bright child who thought through every exercise I gave him, seeking a greater truth beyond the lesson. I’d taught him to trust his instincts and look for a solution, and perhaps that was exactly what he’d been doing that night. He saw the Tuskens not as an enemy, but as people to be listened to and reasoned with.

It was the attitude of a true Jedi, and while such a thought should have filled me with joy, all I felt was dread that Owen would see it exactly the same way.

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    A super post full of undercurrents.
    We get to see Luke's compassion, earnest desire to help, confusion about Ben's inexplicable absence, and capped off by his emotional reticence in contrast to the openness of before.
    Then the reactions of the Tuskens - you can truly understand where their instinctive and intense reaction to a lightsaber would come from. =D=

23. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh, bless the heart of that sweet, idealistic boy, taking it upon all upon his tiny shoulders to fix things between the Tuskens and the farmers! As brave as idealistic, really, though a bit cocky too, of course. :p And then good old Ben taking it upon himself to be the negotiator yet again; there was a moment there where it looked very much like he was about to make another Marei-type promise that he might or might not have been able to keep ("But don’t worry, I will not leave you here"). As it turns out, he was able to not leave Luke—but yoicks, his methods! :eek: Almost unsporting of him, given the associations that blue lightsaber certainly has to the Tuskens by now—though he does seem to realize that himself. (One of those "certain point of view" situations, perhaps? [face_thinking])

And Luke's question at the end... Ben does have a lot of explaining to do (which is not to say his reasons weren't good), and I wonder how he'll go about it. As to Owen, all I can say is that I hope this is one area where his lack of subtlety will come in handy—namely, that he won't make the connection Ben fears he'll make! [face_nail_biting]

24. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    I am also very much in love with the Luke that you write. [face_love] There is so much good in him. Such sweetness!

25. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    All caught up!

It's interesting to see Obi-Wan become more involved in Tatooinian life instead of focusing only on Luke. I wonder if his research about slave implants for Marei is going to take him in an unexpected direction.

Great scene of bargaining with the Tusken Raiders. Is this the same tribe that had kidnapped Shmi? That would explain how why they fear the lightsaber so much.

But for now, Obi-Wan is going to have to confront Owen, and that promises to be one of those awkward moments...