main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Lives Of The Past (LM Vignette)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Briannakin , Jun 24, 2016.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Title: Lives of the Past
    Author: Briannakin
    Timeframe: ~20 ABY
    Categorization: Legends
    Characters: Mara Jade Skywalker, Luke Skywalker
    Genre: 93% FLUFF
    Notes: My muse is being a butt, so this prompt was from the wonderfully evil Irish_Jedi_Jade, that inspired this short fic.

Luke Skywalker let a small smile dance on his lips. She was a natural, though he should have known. He watched, like some sort of stalker, at the mundane scene that was painted across the opulent ballroom, where the marble floor seemed to reflect the dancing lights like ice reflecting flickering flames.

Mara was making small talk with the senator from Onderon, an elderly man with well groomed facial hair and a large belly. Her sleeveless blue ballgown, accented with a creme underskirt and crystal embelishments, seemed to float as she chucked at something. Luke knew it was all an act. Mara HATED politicians, but she seemed so genuine as she listened to his story, after all, he was one of the biggest donors to the New Jedi Order.

Luke watched as she was approached by another senator, a Twi’lek with blue skin and a slimming, yet conservative black dress, who clearly asked Mara to dance. She accepted and Luke felt jealousy stir in his stomach, but he remembered that he was a lucky man. Mara was loyal till death. Plus, her seemingly new-found charisma took almost all attention off of him - at least for this charity ball. Whatever the act was, the donors were clearly enjoying themselves around her.

He then paused his thoughts. This wasn’t a new side to Mara. Long ago - Luke knew that long ago felt like a lifetime for himself - Mara had to slip around nearly every high-scale event the Emperor put on. Usually she had done so under some alias to gain information or stars-knew what. But, she had been a professional as this, her life had depended on her abilities, long before Luke even left the farm.

Eventually, after Luke had lost track of his wife and had decided to focus on his drink, he felt a hand graze his back. The event was dying down and most of the patrons were subtly finding their exits. He looked up to see Mara sit. Her red curls bounced as she tried to brush them behind her shoulder. Luke was briefly fixated by her smooth skin and sharp collarbone.

“Did I sense a hit of jealousy from you earlier, Skywalker?” Her tone was teasing, as was the shove she gave him.

“No, I was just thinking about how I just got a view into the past.”

She cocked her head in confusion. “Do I need to cut you off from the alcohol?”

He laughed. “No. I could actually pilot home in a few minutes if you wanted to grab a drink yourself.” She shook her head to his offer as he continued. “I was just thinking about how this used to be your life.”

She let out a shaky breath as she placed her tightly folded hands on the table. “That was forever ago. Another life.”

“I know,” he said, reaching for her hand and squeezing it in a silent assurance. He knew what she had done, but he still loved her. “Do you ever miss it? All the parties, I mean. Being at the top at the height of the most hierarchical time in the galaxy?”

She considered his questions for a moment. “Even though I never voluntarily chose the life, I still benefited and reaped the awards from it. It felt good. We believed we were right. I believed I was right. They were work, but they could be so much fun. I got to see The Forever Pilots in their final farewell concert because I had to shadow a Grand-Moff’s son.”

Luke narrowed his eyes at the mention of is favourite bands growing up. “I hate you in this moment.”

“Oh, yeah, I’ve been meaning to rub that fact in your face for awhile,” she said, absently. She then sighed, closed her eyes, and bowed her head. “But I don’t miss the acts: what I had to do. The good feelings only bandaged those acts; made me numb to my crimes. Justified them even.”

Luke gently put a finger to her chin and made her rise her head to face him. “You were young. He was a monster.”

She shook her head. “It doesn’t change what I did. You know that.” She then gave him a soft simile. “But I have a new life, and new rewards for pretending to enjoy myself at these things.” Leaning forward, she kissed behind his ear and the topic was forgotten.

“Shall we make our exit now? Make some new memories?” she said with a wink.

“Possibly a new life?” Luke got up before she got a chance to swat him.

2. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I love seeing Mara use her skillset, this time with her own free will. She must have a lot of regret of those times, and although Luke's right about her being young and influenced by Palpatine, that doesn't erase her feeling of guilt.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Very wonderful reflections and in-character for each. A very realistic and gentle conversation and honesty from each.

[face_dancing] [face_dancing] I adore that L/M are still alive and well and being written about. I love silent behind the scenes collaborations between twins of any stripe [face_laugh]

IJJ is a keeper looks like. @};- [face_mischief]

4. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! [face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing] [face_love][face_love][face_love][face_love][face_love]

Omg. I love this so much. You seriously blow me away.

Dude. This was hysterical. I totally laughed into my cereal (itsmydayoffandIwillsleepinasmuchasIwant!) and I can so see that. Its nice to get a little glimpse of them as people with likes and dislikes and favorite bands!

Your lovely little moment of introspection and honesty there at the end was touching. I love how Mara doesn't dismiss what she's done, she accepts it and acknowledges it was wrong, but makes the choice to move on to a better life. That is such strength!!!! And of course, Luke is just the sweetest thing [face_love]

Remind me to send you plot bunnies more often ;):p

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.