main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion You Know You're a Fan Fiction Writer When...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Dev_Binks, Jul 29, 2004.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    ...you realise you accidentally wrote the Gallagher brothers in your microuniverse, without being aware that it was them. o_O

Findswoman likes this.
  2. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    *Frowns*

How did you find out subsequently? Did one of your OCs perform a traffic stop and run their IDs?

3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I'm guessing what she means is that she first crafted the characters, then realized that they were a lot like the Gallagher brothers. That sort of thing has been known to happen to writers before. :p

Paging Chyntuck, because Dr. Cottle in her Anánke – Necessity Beyond Sway was a similar case, as I recall. :)

Chyntuck and Ewok Poet like this.
  4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Thank you, Poet. :)

When your character is so integral a part of you, he's real and his absence is quite similar to the death of a loved one. :(

5. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    **waves to Cushing's Admirer** Hiya!!!

...when you look up information on Red Cross POW packages of the second world war. (Not sure which is worse... early k-rations, or early MRE's.)

6. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Yup, pretty much! I started writing a grumpy doctor in space, and then I realised it was Dr. Cottle from Battlestar Galactica so I ended up borrowing him :p

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  7. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Ah.

Saying characters appeared in a fic without your knowledge is different from saying a character in a fic shares characteristics with another from somewhere else.

8. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh, now you're splitting hairs! :p Those things don't have to necessarily be different, I think. One can start writing a character and not know exactly how that character will turn out—and then when that character happens to turn out to be similar to some other preexisting character, then one could certainly claim one ended up writing that character in without knowing it. Just a matter of viewpoint, really. :)

9. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Splitting hairs is only if you know what someone is talking about.

I didn't, so her sentence read as putting two named characters into her story without knowing that she had. Your thing with Doctor Cottle makes sense.

Findswoman likes this.
  10. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks, though it's technically Chyntuck 's thing with Dr. Cottle rather than mine. :)

Chyntuck likes this.
  11. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    ...when a slap and ensuing fight between rescuer and rescuee just turned into a one-hit accidental death because jumping back to check something, you discover that you earlier buffed the girl delivering the slap with Strength of Earth (Everquest druid spell).

Whoops.

12. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    ...when the explanation/reminder of "everybody else are either snarky people or secret agents, or both" solves half your problems. (And the k-rations from the second world war serve as inspiration... hee...)

13. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    ...when you learn about these rather interesting plushies and think, "Oh my gosh, those are a lot like [FILL IN FANON CREATURE LATER TO APPEAR IN YOUR LONGFIC HERE] and maybe I should consider getting one for that reason"! :D

Ewok Poet likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think that's a Bathynomus giganteus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TrakNar, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  15. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Gamiel, I know that's what it is real life. But it's also not too far off from what I imagine a trs'kin looking like. :D

Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  16. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I have a species that could be similar to this, too. An Amphyplax.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Findswoman likes this.
  17. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Master Vodo?

YKYAFFW you are spending several hours looking up life at the US Naval Academy, not for enrollment, but for research. This includes a video where one midshipman is playing Starcraft in the dorm room and his roommate is trying to distract him.

jcgoble3, Sith-I-5, Ewok Poet and 2 others like this.
  18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    When you show your friend a nonsensical character name generator and she suggests you to use the thing it spewed out for you in a story. :D

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

19. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    That's how you also know your friend might be a fan fiction writer! :D

20. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Hope no one minds my posting a second time, but...

YKYAFFWW when you read of the recent death of a public television personality—even one you recognize and used to kind of enjoy—and your first thought upon seeing the photo going along with the article is, "Hey, I have an OC who would look like that if he were human!" ("Bad Finds!" you might say. "No biscuit!" But I don't think that's mutually exclusive with actually feeling a pang of sorrow. @};- )

21. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    YKYAFFW when... you are watching and older TV series and the actor who plays 1/2 of your OTP shows up in a reoccurring role, kinda similar to the role that he plays in SW, and plot bunnies just go boom! (and I'm only on the second episode he's in :eek:).

For those curious, it's Jimmy Smits in West Wing - I knew he had a reoccurring role, but I didn't know he was basically playing a character based off of Obama.

SO MANY PLOT BUNNIES - I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO WRIIIITTEEE!

22. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Off topic...that character arc is awesome.

Ewok Poet and Briannakin like this.
  23. Thorn058

Thorn058 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 28, 2008
    West Wing is the best.

leiamoody and Briannakin like this.
  24. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm enjoying it quite a bit (I'm only about half way through S6) even if it's dragging my muse in a total opposite direction from where I wanted to try write.

But at least my muse is being dragged somewhere?

25. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005