main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Aftermath: Life Debt (Book 2 of 3) by Chuck Wendig on July 12, 2016

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TheyMightBeGeeks, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Again, storytelling consistency =/= canon police. Character locations and things like that are important to what stories can be told when, and that's the sort of thing they would be keeping track of. That doesn't mean they're going to find and fix every potential issue, especially when it has no bearing on the story.

Example: the female ISB officer in Smuggler's Run who mentally rants about how hard it is for a female officer to advance in the Imperial ranks. What we've seen elsewhere in canon makes her words not necessarily true, thus, there's an inconsistency. But it's the word of one character against the circumstances that we've seen from a more objective perspective elsewhere, and her attitude doesn't affect the story beyond the one throwaway line. So it's basically been glossed over as either her own delusions and feelings of persecution or that people just don't like her, but there's no "official explanation" because it simply isn't a big deal.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Life Debt did portray Sloane as someone who was "marginalised" prior to the Battle of Endor. Maybe the ISB officer is right in that few women rise to very high rank in the Empire.

3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    In New Dawn it did portray Sloane's situation as being highly unususal that she would be in the position she was in. At that time they were just talking about her age though (she was 30 at the time). I don't believe they said anything about her being a woman but I could be remembering wrong.

4. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    The TFN Lit. boards are the police...and judge, jury, and executioner.

We are the law! (In Stallone, Judge Dredd voice.)

Edit: had to add the gif...

[​IMG]

JediFett10 likes this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That's contextualized in the first book though -- she was on the margins because of her unwillingness to play the game.

But "Orientation" shows is that three of the four admirals in the Admiralty are women, so.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

6. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    How old is she in Life Debt?

46-ish?

7. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Not to mention there's a female Moff in Lords of the Sith, which raises an interesting question: did the Empire overlook her sexuality, yet Sinjir felt ostracized, because of the Empire's "mandate" to its officers/officials to procreate good little Imperials for the future? Or was their policy a more recent development (as in post-Lords of the Sith, but pre-Aftermath: Life Debt).

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That might work - with the Empire inheriting diversity from the Republic - but getting less so over time.

Jedi Ben and PCCViking like this.
  9. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

Yep. Mid forties (45/46). New Dawn took place in 11BBY so it has been around 15 years.

Stymi likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sinjir was part of COMPNOR, the most conformist organ in the Empire, while Mors is a moff. It's probably easier to ignore outside of Sinjir's circles.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

PCCViking likes this.
  11. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    It could be referring to completely taking over the entire ship. In Life Debt they rushed to the bridge in order to take over the turbolaser batteries. They had to lock down the bridge in order to prevent reinforcementa from arriving. If I remember correctly, in Lost Stars they were attempting to take over the ship so that it could be used by the NR. I believe they sent multiple teams to differemt sections of the shis so thay they would maintain control and be able to fly the Star Destroyer. So maybe the missions were slightly different. I think Lif Debt was only a partial take over. The NR only controlled the bridge and I'm sure the Imperial could have shuthe down the engines and other systems and would have eventually found a way to the bridge[/quote]

Not sure about that. Didn't they use the Star Destroyer to "even the odds", so they would stand a chance against the two other ISDs together with Home One? At least that was how I read it, and I remember thinking it was weird that they were able to do that with such a small complement. But, sure, I suppose it could be explained away by them just hanging dead in space and bridge-controlling the turbolasers while the Home One draws the enemy into their firing range or something -- this is where Wendig's sketchy battle descriptions come in handy :p

12. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011

Not sure about that. Didn't they use the Star Destroyer to "even the odds", so they would stand a chance against the two other ISDs together with Home One? At least that was how I read it, and I remember thinking it was weird that they were able to do that with such a small complement. But, sure, I suppose it could be explained away by them just hanging dead in space and bridge-controlling the turbolasers while the Home One draws the enemy into their firing range or something -- this is where Wendig's sketchy battle descriptions come in handy :p[/quote]

You're right about them using the Star Destroyer to even the odds. But they did that by taking over the bridge. The whole team was there and they locked down the blast door so no Imperials could access the bridge. The book didn't explain how they controlled the ship, but it had to be from the bridge.

13. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014

Or that was Han, Chewie, and a gaggle of brigands...not the New Republic.

14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Well when it come to Snoke i have three theories

1. Snoke is Rax period. Meaning Rax survives the Battle of Jakku but "scarred...and deformed." and was always a darksider but hid it well or will later get his force powers through the well spring of the Dark Side. Or by touching and be affected by whatever the heck is on Jakku.

2. Snoke is a Spirit that is inside whatever that area of Jakku Palpatine is keeping hush hush and at the end of the Battle of Jakku (Hopefully by Slaeon's hands), then Snoke's spirit is entered into Rax's and the two sorta fuse together making Rax and Snoke kinda one of the same person, like Snoke has Rax's memories and inherits his plans and personality but then has the memories of thousands of years of being away sorta a deal. So for SWOTOR fans i semi Vitate situation going on, but more fusing the soul and mind as one. It's weird but i've seen other genres do it.

3. Snoke is his own entity and Rax becomes his first apprentice before something happens to Rax. I doubt that happens only because Rax gets so much build up and seems way to vital to the founding of the First Order to be thrown away so easily. Plus there are away to many hints to connect Snoke and Rax as the same person.
    I doubt it's the Force Wars, unless Snoke is really that old. But the way Palp's talks about it in the book it seems like a Sith thing which is post the Force Wars.

15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Keep in mind that "build up" may just be around him as the main antagonist of the Aftermath trilogy - it doesn't mean he'll stick around after it.

Jedi Ben and vncredleader like this.
  16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

That's a lot of build up then to not only reveal Rax's backstory as a kid, have him set up everything that the First Order will one day become, initiate the battle of Jakku and pretty much set the stage for Episode 7 in terms of the Acolytes of Beyond and whatever Yup Tashu is going to do just to let him go by Empire's End. Seems very anti-climatic if you ask me.

17. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    It could be a place that has been used since before the Sith existed and the Sith are just the ones who rediscovered it or had a map of it as other dark siders.

How is having a character do all that setting up the climatic final stand of the Empire and end of a trilogy, anti climactic? All that stuff would climax in Empire's End thats the point. I mean tenebrous set up a lot of the stuff in the PT but did not live to see it nor did he actually enact most of it. That does not lessen his importance it is just that he was not the most important thing in the grand scheme of things.

Jid123Sheeve likes this.
  18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Yeah I guess you right on that regards. But man if he does die, it better be B.A ...and by Rae Sloaens hands.

19. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    almost done with the book. much better than first one. Like Sloan and Han seems pretty true to form. just don't like this distance we are seeing. between him and Leia, I mean. They are setting everything up to jive with TFA, and it's sad.

20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

You know something i realized while thinking about if Rax is Snoke and the reasons i would want to see that, is that by making Rax Snoke, it at least to me, brings the Sith back to prominence at least to me in the new Post ROTJ era. Reason being is that Rax being a apprentice or protege of Palpatine, that makes Rax a legacy of Palpatine and thus a legacy and another pawn of the Sith. The fact that Jakku has something that was important 1000 years ago, when the Sith where still many, that again re-inforces the importance of the Sith, even if Snoke and the Knights of Ren aren't Sith the Sith did influence these events at least in-directly through Palpation. Even if Snoke doesn't listen to all the teachings of the Sith and wants to make his own thing he still was influenced and is prominent because of the Sith. Now this of course will all depend on how Episode 8 pans out, but hopefully Rian Johnson won't let me down. But if Rax is Snoke then Rax can't deny the Sith have shaped him and the future of the Galaxy either directly or indirectly, but either way it definitely helps restore there prominence again which will culminate further in Episode 8.

21. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Rax being Snoke does make sense given his mysterious background and influence.

22. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Maybe, but it's probably just a Snokescreen :p

JediMatteus likes this.
  23. JediDingo

JediDingo Jedi Master star 3

Mar 27, 2005
    I believe Rax to be Snoke, but in a Wizard of Oz kind of way. I don't think Snoke is even real. It's just a hologram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014

Pay no attention to that admiral behind the holo-projector. :D

DelRiego likes this.
  25. JediDingo

JediDingo Jedi Master star 3

Mar 27, 2005

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk