main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga How long should the Saga films continue?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Nerdling, Jun 17, 2016.

?

How long should the Saga films continue?

1. The Saga should continue forever

8 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. The Saga should continue forever but with long breaks between trilogies

16 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. The Saga should end at episode 12

13 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. The Saga should end at episode 9 or 10

16 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. The Saga should end at episode 9, 10 or 12, but the main characters should still appear in spinoffs

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  6. The Saga should've ended with the Original Saga (Episodes I - VI)

31 vote(s)
    29.8%
  7. The Saga should've ended with the Classic Trilogy (Episodes IV - VI)

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  8. The Saga should've ended with ANH

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. The Saga should only include the Holiday Special :p

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  10. The Skywalker Saga should end near 10 but there should be other Sagas earlier/later in the timeline

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Yeah, I agree. 9 would be better. 12 is stretching the mark, I think. Not sure if it would even be about the Skywalkers at that point.

2. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Han wakes up and hears the water running in the shower. He walks into the bathroom, pulls open the shower curtain, and Chewbacca turns around and growls "good morning."

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    No.

4. Delta-7

Delta-7 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 24, 2002
    As long as the movies keep being high quality they can keep going forever.

5. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    10, 11 & 12 only if the Skywalkers by blood live on.

6. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I definitely think that the final movie in the main series should be Episode IX, concluding the story of the Skywalkers, whom the main series should focus solely on. It will be sad to let go in 2019, but we don't want Star Wars to go on too long and diminish the quality of the pre-existing films. While Anthology films may still be made (not for too much longer, should stop by 2030), nothing in Star Wars should take place after Episode IX. No Sith biding their time, no new Skywalker or Solo kids that turn bad, no clones, no remnants of the Empire, no redeemed Dark Lords, etc. The way I see it, once all three leads of the first trilogy die, the rest is just filler, just like the prequels.

7. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
  8. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
  9. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    I'm sorry it's just that SW is my drug of choice & the nearest thing I have as religion!

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  10. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I think there is definitely room for an episode X-XII. Show what a rebuilt Jedi Order is like and if the Sith are able to come back. And there is a huge difference between a trilogy based around Rey and a trilogy based around the prequels. Rey was fabulously received while the characters of the prequels were not. It would be a disservice to Star Wars fans to not follow Rey's journey in another trilogy. She likely would become even more loved than Luke ever was.

We'll see how far they go. You know though as long as these films still make loads of money they aren't going to stop.

What I honestly see them doing is start separating the episodic movies by time periods and then they will start over with an episode 1. For instance this current set of trilogies could end with episode IX or XII and they will give it a title. Then they can start up another set of trilogies set hundreds if not thousands of years later and they will title it.

11. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    And why is it impossible to keep making movies about the Skywalkers? Unless the family line disappears,there can always be more movies about the "story of the Skywalkers".

12. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    end the main saga with episode 9, then make a new trilogy set thousands of years in the past with no episode number, no opening crawl etc (semi new format) and make it about the early samurai-like jedi.
    [​IMG]

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  13. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    It's possible, but the Skywalkers should end with Kylo Ren's death (Rey being one would be lame). After the bloodline is extinct when Luke Leia and Kylo die, the rest is just filler. We don't want the story to stretch too long like marvel.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  14. oierem

Mar 18, 2009
    If Rey is not a Skywalker, then this ST is not about the Skywalkers (since Rey is the protagonist of the ST so far).

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    The protagonist doesn't have to be a Skywalker (Obi-Wan is the protagonist of ROTS) but the storyline should be driven by their storyline, like the prequels, even though they sucked overall, were driven by the Skywalker story (anakin) even though he was the villain of ROTS)

DarthCricketer likes this.
  16. oierem

Mar 18, 2009
    The protagonist of the overall PT (and more specifically ROTS, at least during its first half) was Anakin.

Anyway, Kylo Ren's story is NOT the main story of TFA.

What I want to say with this is that you can always keep the saga going on forever with the "next Skywalker" and call it a Skywalker Saga... which doesn't mean much really, since it's not a unified story anymore.

17. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Voted should end with Eppy 12 but it could go on forever.

18. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Yup, for a bunch of movies that made 2.5 billion dollars (without the help of 3D) they sure did "suck" overall.

19. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Original saga for me. All else seem unnecessary and so far underwhelming.

oierem and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  20. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Ok

21. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    I guess I can live with that but not with reylo

22. Iix_Hunter

Iix_Hunter Jedi Padawan

Jul 28, 2015
    When i saw the title a little voice in the back of my mind went "FOREVER!!" and then i read the options and i went for number two since i like the way it's going at the moment with the main films focusing on the skywalker line (which doesn't really need to change since every new-born will become a different character and will lend the whole saga a kind of depth) and then have a whole lot of ancillary films like rogue one and the han solo movie which i think would be cool to carry on with (i also think they should remake the whole saga as a huge tv series :) )

23. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Hmm...

OK, there's been multiple 'visions' of how Star Wars and the story of that galaxy far, far away would be presented over the years:

- a single film, perhaps with a couple of books to continue the adventures (circa 1975/76);
    - the first film continued with a series of low-budget sequels (circa 1976 - the novel Splinter of the Mind's Eye was a direct result of this);
    - a series continued directly indefinitely like the James Bond series (1977 post-SW release, due to its massive success);
    - 12 chapters in 'The Adventures of Luke Skywalker', including both prequel and standalone stories (1977-1979);
    - the 9-episode 'Trilogy of Trilogies' (1979 to roughly 1999);
    - the 6-episode 'Skywalker Saga' (roughly 1997 until the Disney purchase of LFL in 2012 - GL would increasingly deny the existence of any further episodes in his SW Saga past ROTJ).

Now we've got a bit of a return to the 9-episode plan, but also standalone films on the way that won't bear episode numbers. Rogue One won't, and the trailers present it as 'A Star Wars Story'. I think that's the way to go.

Star Wars and the adventures of the GFFA can continue forever, as far as I'm concerned. However, I think the episodic 'Saga' should end with Luke Skywalker's death or final departure, which will probably be Ep IX - the Saga has centred around him and his direct family.
    Regardless of the potential linegae of certain characters in the current trilogy, I don't believe that there will be any legacy or curse to continue past Ep IX - and even if Rey is a Skywalker (or Kenobi) by birth, I'd like to see her put her such heritage behind her, if and when she continues as a Star Wars heroine.

So - let's close the book with Star Wars Episode IX, with Artoo and Threepio wandering off into the sunset, bickering away, just as it all began. There's plenty of other stories to be told.

Darth Nerdling, B3 and Force Smuggler like this.
  24. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    A confession: I never needed Episodes VII, VIII, and IX, nor was I thirsting for spin off films. That said, I'm certainly happy with the direction things are headed. Ultimately, it's a matter of how popular the films continue to be. Getting another trilogy after Episodes VII, VIII, and IX feels inevitable, but it should be dependent upon whether there will be a necessity to tell future stories.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm of the opinion that the saga should not exist at all, and that we should all go outside and play.