main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Official "List Your Complaints About TFA" Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BretHart, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This nickname will not catch on. I'm banning the next person who uses it! :p

Ezon Pin and TCF-1138 like this.
  2. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Well, that seems fair, then.

Personally, I just think Rey was kind of boring. Of the two viewings I've done, I'm more invested in Finn's character just because of his origins and potential (despite my misgivings with how his character was handled as well).

Huttese 101 likes this.
  3. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Even if I like Rey, I agree Finn's story is kind of refreshing to see, it's a story that we never actually explored in the movie before so I approve totally, even if most of the time they portrayed him as only a comic relief.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  4. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Why all the requirements for criticizing TFA?... I don't see the same conditions for those who rave about how great TFA is.

5. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    It's a TFA fan forum aimed at discussing the film. Surprisingly , vitriolic ranting with no eye to discussion is frowned upon.

redxavier and DarthCricketer like this.
  6. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Naw son... It Don't work like that. Negativity isn't liked anywhere in the forums anyhow..

And for the criticism, your just can't "rant". It has to be well constructed(which is set on a linear path).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Where does it say it's a "TFA fan forum"?

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    There's plenty of negativity here, but thankfully it's a forum that isn't built on the cynicism that is so prevalent in today's world (especially online).
    I have a hard time seeing how that's a bad thing.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  9. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    This is the criticism thread. The only negative ones are actual rants and things come off as negative due to heated debates. If you mean negativity in this thread yes(it's not really all that negative compared to the now heated Pt boards) but not the whole TFA forum if that's what your implying...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Does it have to? The point is that the purpose of this forum is for constructive discussion.

Do you think it's appropriate to go to the PT forum and post this:

DarthCricketer and KaleeshEyes like this.
  11. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I don't think that's the kind of negative criticism being advocated here.

12. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    All 7 SW films are wonderful.
    Perhaps they all have minor issues worthy of complaint.

Some lines/jokes in TFA seem out of universe and continue to be a distraction. A few of these jokes will not age well, imo.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  13. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    You don't? The only two posters who have been modded on the last few pages had exactly that tone, and that's what started this discussion. Reasonable criticism has been left alone.

DarthCricketer likes this.
  14. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    I was more referring to Torgruta's point. By the way, I don't believe it is being advocated considering they got modded.

15. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Then what's the problem? The rule is basically that you can be negative or positive about the movie as long as you are posting something that can be reasonably discussed. That's the only real "requirement".

16. Talos of Atmora

Jul 3, 2016
    No problem at all.

17. AAA_Tarpals

AAA_Tarpals Jedi Master star 1

Jan 1, 2015
    I really enjoyed TFA. That being said I had one main complaint and a few minor things in retrospect:

1. The biggest one: Where's Lando? A major character from the previous trilogy who was last seen celebrating with everyone else on Endor is not even mentioned.
    2. I think a little more explanation about the origins of the first order and resistance would have helped as well as their relationship to the republic, this could have been done with the scenes with Korr Sella.
    3. A little more of Lor San Tekka and his importance
    4. I would have liked to see some background characters at least given a line or two: Zuvio, PZ-4CO, Pamich Nerro Goode, etc.
    5. What happened to Maz? Did she just stay behind in the ruins?
    6. More explanation of Snap's mission to Starkiller base which allowed the first order to find the resistance base
    7. A scene showing how Kylo, Hux, and Phasma escaped
    8. A scene with Leia and Chewbacca reacting to Han's death

18. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I like Poe. The only things I didn't like about him was the "Who talks first" joke, terrible timing for a joke. You have all of this build up, then you destroy it by making a stupid joke. I also didn't like how he destroyed 10 tie fighters in 10 seconds. I'm with Filoni on this, Jedi aren't superheros, and neither are fighter pilots.

19. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I can understand that. What's interesting is that the "Who talks first" bit was added in reshoots. Maybe the scene was too sombre otherwise?

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  20. Jabberwock2137

Jabberwock2137 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    I find it curious that it could have been considered too sombre. In the segment of the film that sets up Ren(the principal villain)'s malevolence, he's treated with ambivalence by Lor San Tekka and contempt by Dameron (may be wrong but the "can't understand you in that mask" line too) which seriously undermines the sense of menace the character pervades.

Huttese 101 and TheOneX_Eleazar like this.
  21. JMaster Luke

JMaster Luke Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    I didn't read through all these pages to see if this was brought up. But why is it when Rey touches the lightsaber and she gets all these visions of the history of the saber we don't even get one moment of the 'history' of the saber when it was in possession of Anakin Skywalker. The saber had a long history of being used during the clone wars. This saber was used to even destroy multiple Jedi in the Temple. Why did it only start from Bespin? I thought one moment of being with Anakin would of been nice. After all Rey was told this was Lukes fathers, then lukes...but we see nothing of when it use to be Anakins.

Edit: Two other things off the top of my head that I can think of. Since Han died it sucked that we will never get at least one scene with Luke and Han together. I really love that scene in ESB when Luke is about to leave for the snow battle and Han is looking at Luke from on top of the falcon. You can feel their friendship in those looks. Very nice moment.

Plus I got annoyed at some of the annoying expressions Finn was saying. For example when he was like "DID YOU SEE THAT...DID YOU SEE THAT!" Reminds me of a modern teenage annoying expression. That one and a few more annoying lines he had...especially when he's talking to Phasma saying something like "I'm in charge, that's right, I'm in charge now".

Calm down man. He came off really annoying with those lines (which he was to Han haha)

22. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I'd argue that Rey isn't witnessing the history of the lightsabre at all, hence the lack of Anakin stuff or Luke on Hoth etc., she's witnessing key moments in Luke's history.
    That goodbye scene in Echo Base is one of my favourites too, with Luke's pause, them both wanting to say more. It's why ESB remains in the top 2 for me (it may sometimes get supplanted by IV).

KaleeshEyes and DarthCricketer like this.
  23. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    I think at first it was the point, she was supposed to see the journey of the lightsaber from the prequels to now, which makes a little more sense than just seeing when it was Luke's, I mean Anakin was the one to build it so why not?

Huttese 101 likes this.
  24. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    "She also said something very interesting. In the original script the Force Back scene was intended to be a ride through the history of Star Wars" [x]

25. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    Agreed. Poe Dameron is the most traditional, or as you said, the most "purely Star Wars," of all TFA's new additions. I see him as sort of a triple inheritor here. He has Luke's wide-eyed optimism, moral compass and conviction, apparently as well as his innate talent, Han's dry wit, "cool-guy" attitude and classic leading-man swagger and bravado, and Wedge Antilles' loyalty, "flyboy" sort of skillset, and willingness to take up the cause and do yeoman's duty in the face of adversity. I see Poe's role, in both TFA's narrative as well as in-universe in the Resistance, as being kind of "the Last of the Rebels" (of course barring Leia, Ackbar and Nien Nunb), and certainly the most Luke/Wedge-esque in the Resistance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.