main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul in Star Wars Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, May 22, 2013.

1. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    That would be interesting if it happened.

2. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014

3. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I think Maul will be killed off eventually, but Ahsoka seems like a special case, considering how many kids, both boys and girls, grew up with that character, who also happened to be a child when she was introduced.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  4. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016

Except she leads the poll on this exact forum about which character fans want to see die in Rebels.

I think ultimately it's a limitation of the medium. Who has clearly "died" in Rebels so far? It's a kids show so the creators aren't allowed to show a gruesome death on screen. Even the Inquisitors have sort of ambiguous endings. Maybe Disney should stop trying to fit the two mediums into one continutiy and just break off Rebels and any future cartoons from the live action movies and comics. That way they aren't burdened with trying to squeeze story into a confined parameters. You can have Maul and Ashokha teams up with Luke/Leia/Yoda all you want and it won't effect original trilogy timelines.

5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Filoni stated sees things more open ended and he described lines of events and characters in something like a tree diagram rather than just straight lines of destination, so there is branches involved. I don't think Maul or Ahsoka or even the Ghost crew have to killed off, but its not likely they'll remain onboard the same ship forever.

6. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    would it be too much fan pandering if Maul died and his last words were along the lines of "In the end, I am nothing" ?

7. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    I'd be more concerned about the characters he'll destroy and the carnage he'll unleash this season and in future seasons.

Canyon D and MandaloreRex2015 like this.
  8. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    Well, it would fit him better than Malak, that's all I'm gonna say.

9. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Maul is more akin to Revan - a powerful Sith Lord and perfert warrior where absolute victory still alludes him, falls from grace, exacts his revenge, captured by a Sith Emperor and tortured by one, escapes, causes great mayhem, many try and kill him all both sides , survives again and again , seeks to destroy the Sith and anyone and anything that stands in his way . Sith proverb: If at first you don't succeed,: Try, try, try again.

Canyon D likes this.
  10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Is it possible that Maul and Ahsoka will end up joining forces to create an order of gray Force users?

11. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    Somehow I dont see Maul and Ahsoka getting along, especially after Filoni showed us Maul and Ahsoka tried to kill each other during the Siege of Mandalore. Filoni would never show his pet join forces with Maul, one of the baddest and craftiest Dark-siders to date.

12. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Oddly Maul vs Ahsoka seemed almost sparring-like and playful-like to an extent, as Maul seems very mirthful like he's holding back a great deal of power and ability. Its like he did not really give a crap about Kanan or Ahsoka when he faced them(he did the same thing to the Inquisitors). Well Kanan did turn to Ahsoka for the final say in whether to trust Maul where she gave it but she did genuinely appear surprised he was alive as she expressed surprise and shock. So its possible he was presumed dead or she received false reports. Guess we do not know exactly all the details on what went down during the Siege of Mandalore and the aftermath or how they both of these two warriors managed to escape the planet. Maul apparently must've did so by taking his personal Gauntlet fighter that he was using since Son of Dathomir. I think thats when the Darksaber was either lost somehow or confiscated back on Mandalore. Ahsoka did give a strange look to Kanan after Maul saved Ezra's life on top of the pyramid of Malachor and showed an interest in the boy's life, where that could be interpreted as Maul showing that he's not entirely bad . If Maul is kinda like The Son and Ahsoka the daughter they both may end up as anchorites as one possibility or perhaps they're both already anchorites of a different kind already. Ahsoka the light, Maul the Dark both as quasi inspirational and teacher figures to Ezra.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  13. Canyon D

Canyon D Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 17, 2015
    I wouldn't go that far as to compare them to the Son an Daughter, but it i an interesting point. Also Filoni said that the darksaber is actually a pretty big plot point in RS3 so I have my fingers crossed Maul reclaims what is his by right. At this point in time I think Maul has a safety pass for Rebels at least for S3, He has come to far and grown to powerful just for Ahsoka or Kanan or Ezra to off him. That woud be a huge anticlimax and the worst letdown. Since Filoni said its probable that we wont see a maul vs Vader i feel like Maul will be alive by the end of rebels.

14. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    If Vader had difficultly decisively putting away Ahsoka its not likely he could just defeat Maul in 3-4 minutes , and he faced a great problem against Kenobi onboard the Death Star years later which would be difficult to explain. That is a Vader at full glory and height of power, it makes no sense. For all we know Maul and Vader could simply fight to a stalemate and both walk away without a clear victor(we also do know Vader likes using Inquisitors first to soften up his opponents the same way Grievous & Dooku liked using Magnaguards) - but regardless it probably would take a whole episode to be like this big duel between titans. Otherwise it would take the combined efforts of Vader and Sidious against Maul where it would end up a repeat of Son of Dathomir. Who knows maybe Maul and Vader conspire at some point to get rid of Sidious, do we really know how many years Rebels can go on for and what kinda jumps they can do between settings. We know Sidious had plans to replace Vader with a more powerful apprentice post Mustafar, so it could be possible be Maul and Vader join forces in destroying a secret apprentice. But Vader is too much like Tyranus during this stage, Maul did not break from his slave-like apprentice condition until after "The Lawless" and he gained greater power from pain. Sidious's torturing of him only made him more powerful which was an error on Sidious's part, he made this big gamble, but in the end failed in destroying his rival. In marvel's Vader comic, Sidious does admit that Maul was a loss to the Sith, and that Tyranus was an expendable asset always meant for a fire and forget torpedo.

Aside from Thrawn, who is a considerable military threat to them all- am sure there is new villains this season some may not be Imperial. Maul seems to enjoy the company of the The Ghost crew, and they may need eachother in turns of survival as they're hopelessly outnumbered against the Empire that commands vast legions, crony allies, and Sith Assassins, and super weapons.

Watching Maul's progression & duels on TCW/SOD and Rebels and the new clip with Maul paying Kanan back , Maul will be fine I think but he's clearly not one to run from a fight or return to a fight unless he's outnumbered.

15. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012

Actually Sidious' plan in SOD was to use Maul to lure out Talzin so he could kill her, and his plan worked.

16. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    No his plan was to eliminate them both , his plan failed. Maul getting away was not part of his plan, nor was his Empire plans more secure as we know by Rebels his Empire is already crumbling and Maul is there chiseling away. Dooku was captured, and he was used as bait to draw in Sidious himself who had to get pesonally involved as neither Dooku or Grievous together were able to stop Maul. Sidous(and Dooku) also could've been destroyed had Talzin drained Maul's lifeforce as he wished, but she refused and pushed him to safely as she fended off Sidious and Dooku's combined force lightning storms, Grievous was the one that came up behind her and stabbed her in the back.

17. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Actually Grievous stabbed her through the chest, not the back. Talzin saw him approaching and was too drained to defend herself.

18. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Thats right, but same difference really, just a cheap shot defenseless kill nonetheless. She was drained by that time but still had a shield up protecting Maul from the reach of the Sith lightning. Maul had prior pushed Grievous out've the castle and off the mountain, off camera he must've made his way back up as he appears next off to the side near to behind Sidious and Dooku who were engaging Talzin lightning to lightning - and he apparently walked through the shield bubble and murdered Talzin. Maul wanted Talzin to drain his lifeforce so she would destroy Sidious and Dooku, had she did so Sidious and Dooku would've been no more. Talzin beleived her son's life was worth more than all of them which makes her death more akin to shadowy mirror version of Obi-Wan's sacrifice for Luke. Also its clear Maul is a fanatic, not above sacrificing his own life it meant the destruction of his enemies which is not very Sith-like as they're selfish and care more about their own life. Maul's expression of empathy at both his mother's death and Savage's is different from that of a Sith and makes him more similar to Vader than Dooku or Sidious who were completely unredeemable Sith Lords. Maul also showed a level of care for Ezra's life when he saved him from the Eighth Brother at the top of the pyramid and he also saved Ezra from falling after the holocron was procured where any other Sith would've likely have let the other fall to certain death to obtain power solely for one's self.

19. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    I'm pretty sure the whole reason that Sidious spared Maul on Mandalore was so he could lure out and eliminate Talzin. He didn't manage to kill Maul but he did kill Talzin, his plan there succeeded and he removed one of the few powers that could challenge him.

20. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    And he already proved that Maul couldn't overthrow him as a Sith Master, he didn't consider him as a big threat after Maul's capture and the death of his Sith apprentice Savage Opress.

21. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Everything Talzin did was to protect Maul and their way of life, so I hope Maul is out for more than revenge, which is a waste of time, as the story is written and Sidious will continue as Emperor. I'd ultimately like to see Maul sacrifice himself as his mother did for him, in order to restore Dathomir. Seeing him die in a duel would be an utter waste and it wouldn't serve Talzin's prophecy for Maul.

By the way, I'd like if the Infinities comics were still around - I'd love an alternate universe ending to SOD, where Talzin wipes the Sith out.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  22. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    =P~

23. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    His plan did not succeed, since Maul was very much still active(he's still a galactic threat in the post SOD arc with the Siege of Mandalore that occurs right into ROTS) and looking for ways to topple Sidious - he plainly said its the cowards way to run away from your enemies and if you do not succeed try, try again. Maul also did what Sidious could not, obtain the superweapon device of Malachor- this was a few years before the Death Star mind you. But he seems to view Ezra as a more worth while prize than the weapon, and he's doing some business with the merging of the holocrons so we do not know what he's up to but galactic conquest and a new order may yet be on the table. Back in SOD Maul wanted to create a new order out've the roots of Dathomir, so who knows. Seem's he always gets closer, closer than anyone to overthrow Sidious, but this cannot happen until ROTJ for Vader who betrays him at the very end and losses his own life in the process to save his son. So all we can expect is a good show, its up to Rebels to deliver it, but am pretty certain Maul will be in the movies or at least have his own film.

24. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    No...I know a lot of people don;t agree..but Maul is still Sith to me. I see his excommunication by Sidious as a schism. My hope is that he has a back up for his plan to make Ezra his apprentice.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  25. The Mirificus

The Mirificus Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 25, 2015
    I'm not sure if that was supposed to imply Maul as a "gray" character; more like two teachers and each one's teaching the next generation one aspect of the Force. I could always be proven wrong, but I don't see him turning from the Dark Side even a little bit. He was practically born into it, and, during his injury, surrendered himself to it in exchange for life. That's not something to take lightly. Maul's a believer in "the will of the Force," so I would guess his interpretation would be that the Dark Side saved him for some purpose. He's likely got several "back up plans" because he doesn't actually know what this purpose is. His own mother was equally vague. He's therefore a man in search of his destiny.

The Sith, though? That's an organization, made by people, therefore, fallible. Snoke thinks the Sith went about things wrong. Maul thinks the Sith wronged him. I think one of the interesting things with Maul in Rebels is that we may be able to see what aspects of his persona are/were specifically Sith, and which are generic to the influence of the Dark Side. We have so few examples of Sith in canon now that it's hard to know their culture per se.

Erkan12 and Darth_Pevra like this.