main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A Cynical Walk Through the NJO

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    How long do you think it will take?

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Very true. The NJO Series onwards were skimpy on movies, tv series', games etc. Really needed to be changed.

I can totally think of SW movies themes that can be used in the NJO series.

Huh. Interesting. Probably easier but not as cool.
    Seeing some of the levels would be awesome. Don't envy you for some of them.

3. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Unknown at this point. First level could be done in anywhere from 2-5 months I'd guess. Of course I hope it will be done on the 2-3 month end of the scale but since I am doing it in my free time and learning as I go -- and doing things not attempted before in some cases on BFII -- I leave the range open. Once the first level is done, the other levels will come quicker. The most challenging bit of course will be the Yuuzhan Vong themselves but I've already started work on that aspect. So, in answer to your question, I would optimistically say the first level could be done in 2-3 months, or 4-5 if there are difficulties. After that is done, and depending on how well it turns out, I will continue onwards to do other parts of the war, probably at a quicker rate using the material from the first level as a baseline.

Yeah, of course a lot of SW movie music will be used. It's just that the YV are gonna need some more menacing audio bits than the Empire, in my opinion. Thankfully I think I've already got a good idea of what I will use there, and it is from the Star Wars universe anyway.

I will look into what is doable with the shield effect on snub fighters. I think I can toy with it and overall it can come out looking pretty awesome if I want it to.

Indeed. ^.^ And yeah. They are difficult, some of them, but worth it.

I will give you all a little hint though. :p No screenshots as of now, but the first level...
    Tafanda Bay

Darthmaul208 and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    What's the first level?

xezene likes this.
  5. xezene

Jan 6, 2016
    Answered in my above edit. :p

Force Smuggler likes this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    How exciting.

xezene likes this.
  7. xezene

Jan 6, 2016
    One aspect I am rather excited about is having the Imperial Remnant forces and New Republic forces fight side-by-side. One of the most interesting aspects of the NJO, imo, and probably a significant reason for its creation in the first place.

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Which, was what I was hoping that TFA would have at some point.
    I'd probably still shoot the Rebels/Empire on accident at some point or other.
    So would the amphistaff poison be like the guns and the thud bugs like the grenades?

9. xezene

Jan 6, 2016
    Yeah, what you said about TFA is sort of what I would have liked to see too.

As for the weapons of the YV, I may know a clearer answer to that question in a month or so. :p As for now, I know the YV will have projectile weapons and staffs to fight with like staffs. I will try to fit as close to EU canon as possible but of course some things may just be an approximation. But overall, that's one of the areas that I've put on the timetable to figure later as I go, after I've completed what I'm working on now.

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Well the Jedi and Sith were able to use lightsabers. Just wish the CIS Magnagaurds used their staffs as well. I'm sure whatever you do will work out well.

Imperial Tie-Fighters saving the Rebels? Who wouldn't want to see it at least once?

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  11. xezene

Jan 6, 2016
    Yeah. Some very clever people have made a couple Clone Wars mods with Mangaguards using their staffs. It works pretty cool.

Right! It would be awesome.

I should add, regarding different classes, in the first level in question, there will be playable Chiss. To be specific, they are part of Jagged Fel's Vanguard Squadron (Force Spike). They will be flying Clawcraft.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Will have to look into that.

Makes me want to see the fight for Mon Cal and Liberation of Coruscant.

xezene likes this.
  13. xezene

Jan 6, 2016
    Those two are definitely being considered on the list. ^.^ Anyway, gotta run, but it's cool to chat about this and get the word out. So far I've kept it mostly under the rug but as time gets closer I will have more updates. And it's nice to see people interested. :)

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    They better be! Good chatting with you as well. See you! Got a site, twitter, Facebook? etc?

xezene likes this.
  15. xezene

Jan 6, 2016
    I don't really have a site, and I'm not on social media much, but I am always reachable here. My steam ID is the same as my username here, and people can add me if they want. ^.^

This reminds me of a map I devoted a good deal of time into for Star Wars on Warlight (online Risk). I never ended up posting about it here but I thought it came out very nice, and I included all major planets and location from the old canon [including NJO and the Vong invasion] all the way up to TFA. I used the Essential Atlas as my guide. Perhaps I should post it one of these days. I'm guessing the Games forum would be a place for that? Part of my uncertainty is that I would want it to reach EU fans.

16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I miss the NJO honestly. Star Wars is increasingly alien and foreign to me, I feel less and less love for the new EU and ST.

Kriff I am the next Zeta after all.

xezene likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Always two there are.

Gamiel and DurararaFTW like this.
  18. Darth_Erebus

Darth_Erebus Jedi Master star 1

Aug 19, 2013
    I'm partway through my third re-read of the series, i like to call it the Yuuzhan Vong war series to be honest. Never been completely enamored by the New Jedi Order series title.

19. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

In the vein of the movie I, Robot and Michael Stackpole's I, Jedi, it could be titled: I, Droid.

20. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    With an avatar like that one, it isn't really that surprising. If everyone enjoyed everything then the world would probably be pretty boring.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  21. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Are you speaking to me?

22. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes, at least with the first part.

23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Were you referring to my avatar.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So any specific Bantham created planet you want to see destroyed and what old minor characters should be killed of in the game?

They don't, if they are black holes, it would suck up everything around them.
    I can suggest some non-SW reading material if you are in need of inspiration for biotech weapons.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    When people read Luke's vision for Ben's future in Rebirth, what did they think those scenes meant?

Ben on a ship of unique design, Ben wrestling with a Wookie, Ben holding a stone, Ben and Luke on a planet similar to Coruscant, No Mara, etc.