main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Will Disney Re-Release Theatrical Cut Of The Original Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Max@TSWP, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    That is, of course, your right as a human being.
    In this context, however, "canon" usually refers to official canon, meaning Lucasfilm's canon, i e what's been officially accepted as having "actually happened" in universe.
    Privately, we can disregard that canon all we want, but to counter "That's what canonically happened" with "In my personal canon, it didn't" just to sort of shut people up hardly makes for a constructive dialogue.

I realize that the topic of this particular discussion doesn't belong in official Star Wars canon anyway, but in general, I feel that on discussion boards such as this, there needs to be an agreed-upon standard for us all to adhere to (and, where need be, deviate from).

2. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    OK, that’s the canon according to George Lucas. As far as I’m concerned, Lucas really hasn’t done anything that good since RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK back in 1981 (RETURN OF THE JEDI is all over the place, veering from brilliant to awful to mediocre, and Spielberg came up with everything good about INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE- i.e. the father-son story), so I couldn’t care less about his canon at this point.

DarthCricketer and KaleeshEyes like this.
  3. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I doubt that TFA is part of GL's personal canon, actually.
    His word and LFL's are no longer synonymous.

Nor does "canon" mean "good".

darklordoftech likes this.
  4. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Like I said, I really don’t care about canon. The people at Disney could literally change it overnight with a snap of their fingers whenever they feel like it and as often as they feel like it.

DarthCricketer and KaleeshEyes like this.
  5. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    They could, no doubt about that.

6. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    The problem is all new generations are not exposed to it unless someone older shows them, so it is being rewritten from a certain POV. ;) My nephews were born during the PT era, so they only have the SE on DVD, and have only seen the ending with Hayden and the expanded celebration across the galaxy. I showed them the Original ROTJ ending, and their eyes lit up because they were amazed how different it was. They had no idea Lucas replaced Sebastian Shaw, they had no idea he changed the music, and had no idea that the original celebration was limited to Endor.

And for some reason which I will never understand, Lucas edited out Luke's wink to the force ghosts for the SE as he is walking away to be with Han & Leia. It's a such a cool moment cause he is giving them a nod that essentially ended that story in 1983, and dopey Lucas took it out? :confused:

7. KaleeshEyes

KaleeshEyes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    I think my current avatar would have something to say about that last sentence ;)

And, yes, I don't see how people can say that changes made years after the original film somehow negate it. Especially when the original makes more sense in its own context.

8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Did your nephews ever ask how adult Hayden is in a film that was released when Hayden was two years old?

Tosche_Station likes this.
  9. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    At least we have the '06 dvds, but here's hoping. [face_praying]

10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Of course that is. I never said otherwise. That is his physical form almost 25 years after this:

That real Anakin is then represented in Force spirit form:

Well that is a novel try I have to admit but you may have noticed that IM's Sidious is in TPM, AOTC, ROTS and ROTJ and HC's Anakin is in AOTC and ROTS. The theatrical history version of the characters in the Star Wars saga.

BTW of course in terms of just IM in TESB and HC in ROTJ those versions have also appeared in theaters as well.

Sure they could. The canon around the movies. Which is exactly what they sort of did already (but not really). The actual facts are that the only canon that really counted was Lucas' in the first place. Then they made the decision to make everything "count" not including just the original 6 movies and TCW.

Now how long they will hold to this who knows? For a long while as it suits them one would suppose.

Now the question is can they do anything about the current version of the movies? Based on their silence and freely allowing the fan preservations to be a highly public in fan circles the answer now is no.

The canon is unlikely to change but that isn't really relevant. What we are talking about is the equivalent of a "Legends" release of something approximating the original releases.

11. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    The OOT is real history. The SE's are historical negationism.

12. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    According to you maybe. And according to alot of other people, the real Anakin was Sebastian Shaw. Besides, as you said, Shaw represents Anakin at that age. Remember, he died in RETURN OF THE JEDI, not REVENGE OF THE SITH. Not to mention that RETURN OF THE JEDI is the only time that Anakin Skywalker was ever a good person during his entire adult life. It certainly represents the only time he ever accepts the consequences of his crimes.
    The fact that they’ve had the occasional retrospective screening does not make them theatrical releases. Episodes of STAR TREK, THE TWILIGHT ZONE and MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000 have had retrospective screenings. Theatrical history version really only applies to the original versions and the 1997 versions. All others are direct-to-video. The same logic applies to the extended versions of THE LORD OF THE RINGS movies…and I actually like those.
    The only canon that really counts is up to you as an individual. As far as I’m concerned, canon is purely subjective. Thus, I could not care less about it.

13. Cedric T Sealion

Cedric T Sealion Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    Discussion of the ending of the Special Edition is not relevant to the subject of this thread, namely the possibility of the theatrical cuts being re-released. Maybe take it elsewhere?

14. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    My dad owns the original versions on VHS and I own them on did along with the 2004 rerelease. I'm not sure if that was the theatrical cut though.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I only own the VHS copy of ANH. Hope it still works.

MOC Vober Dand and TX-20 like this.
  16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I feel like the non-availability of the OOT ruins the Wizard of Oz-esque charm of the films. That is to say, the charm of movies that never change and their datedness is part of what makes them so endearing.

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I know the movies were made in the 70's/80's but honestly? I don't care. They are that good.

18. Nate787

Jan 29, 2016
    If a movie is good, none of that "dated" stuff matters. They're timeless. Nostalgia is a myth.

19. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Really? Huh.
    I guess everytime I thought I was feeling nostalgic, I was really just hungry...

darklordoftech likes this.
  20. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    My brother (17) and I rewatched the OOT about a month ago, and he spent a good portion of the original film's run time getting mock-angry at the movie. "It has no right to still look this good."

theMaestro, Darth_Pevra, Kuro and 9 others like this.
  21. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Well, he's seventeen. I'm sure he'll grow out of it :p

22. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I just watched "Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey" and that REALLY got me in the mood for the 1977 edition of the first film!
    I was particularly moved by the part where Harrison reunites with the Falcon and they show a bit of archive footage from the 1976 shoot.
    I just feel like pretending that I've gone back in time for a few hours.

Aaah, nostalgia... I mean, hunger! ;)

23. Nate787

Jan 29, 2016
    More proof that women make lousy comedians. :p

24. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    I remember back in 2011 that some of the Blu-ray changes were leaked early. To anyone who remembers, what was the reaction on these forums when Vader's "Nooooo" was leaked? I remember thinking it was some kind of cruel joke.........but then the Blu-rays came out & I stopped laughing.......although I am laughing now lol. So before it was confirmed to be legit, did people here think it was real? Did they like it? Were they opposed to it? And (to bring it back to the topic), did it make people pine for an OOT release? Because for me, that's when I really started hoping for it.

I had grown up with a pre-SE version of ANH (a television recording) and had watched the pre-SE versions of TESB & ROTJ (VHS tapes borrowed from the library) first. When I finally owned the films, it was the 1997 SE VHS versions. So in terms of nostalgia, I was most nostalgic for pre-SE ANH, and 1997 TESB & ROTJ. And I was perfectly content with the 1997 versions. But then I got the 2004 DVDs and I was bugged by the lightsaber problems, the Hayden Force ghost, and the ROTS Emperor in TESB (I suppose this is better than the original version, but it still takes me out of the movie since I'm reminded that it was shot during the making of ROTS). Still, they were watchable and still didn't care that much about the differences. Then, the Blu-rays came out, and I just couldn't take the SE's seriously anymore. The Vader "Noooo" in ROTJ felt like some bad fan-edit that somehow made its way into an official release. That was the last straw for me and when I really started seriously learning about all the different versions and started hoping for an official release of the original authentic versions of the OT.

What about you guys? Did you want an OOT release since 1997? If not, what finally converted you?

25. Cedric T Sealion

Cedric T Sealion Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    I wanted the theatrical cuts available again on home video in 1997. I was never cool with Greedo shooting first.