main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Dec 17, 2015.

1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Oh, for the love of the Force. Finn is such a great character, and this thread is what this forum has to offer for him? Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but some people in here seem to have no limit on the negativity and nitpicking. Nothing is good enough.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  2. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Apparently the movie Boyega was in with Emma Watson and Tom Hanks, The Circle, won't be released until 2017.

What a bummer.

3. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    I totally called it, I've seen little to no advertising for it at all. I don't even think John has said anything about it since around TFA's release.

cerealbox likes this.
  4. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Finn is great because of Boyega. He makes the character enjoyable to watch

The script however, doesn't do him any favors. I thought we were allowed to critique the movie? Or are we only allowed to say positive things about it?

5. Darth Zero

Darth Zero Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 18, 2015
    I'm only interested in one thing: The truth - regardless if it's good, bad, or ugly. If the truth is negative, then so be it I'll accept it regardless; one thing however I cannot accept is positivity for the sake of positivity, especially if the truth is absent. Discussion is lost once counter opinions cease to exist, and what's left is a mindless appreciation thread.

Excuse Me and JediAce1 like this.
  6. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Wait, so you do think the character is enjoyable to watch? That's something.

Yes, people are allowed to critique; I already said everyone is entitled to their own opinions, which they can voice here as long as they keep it constructive and friendly with other posters. But my observation above was based on how it seems that the negativity and nitpicking in here is relentless.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  7. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Well. To be fair, yes, a lot of us critique Finn for pages on end. There's a lot to discuss, even though we go around in circles sometimes.

For the people that say Finn is great. Don't just say he's great. Post why you think he's great and what parts of the movie can back that up. Show the effort and perhaps you can pull more people to your side.

Don't just complain about the "negative" people who are actually keeping this thread going.

Then this place won't seem so "negative" to begin with.

8. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    From day one posting on this forum I've said Boyega gave a great performance and he makes the character enjoyable. I've always critized Abrams/Kasdan's mediocre script on why Finn's story was lacking. Daisy, John, Oscar, Adam and Harrison all gave great performances. They made the movie enjoyable to watch even though the script was terrible.

We have to remember JJ and Kasdan rushed to write the script and had to meet Disney's deadline. Which could explain why the story was lacking any creativity or imagination.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Did you just tell a mod how to do their job?

Good luck with that.

EHT likes this.
  10. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Not at all. That was to everyone in general

11. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
  12. Troopa212

Troopa212 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2016
    The message, is no matter what your background no matter who raises you and what they teach you...in the end you still have a choice. How did Pablo put it

"Rey Raised by sand, doesn't become a murder. Finn raised by the FO doesn't become a murder. Ben Solo, raised by good people, chooses to be a murderer."

or something like that.[/quote]
    The difference between them and Finn is that they were allowed different viewpoints to compare to figure out right from wrong. Finn was allowed to consume nothing but First Order propaganda. So there's still no explanation and as to how a person taken from a family "they'll never know" and "raised to do one thing" knows that the people who took and raised him to do that one thing are bad. Bad enough that he can not only defect but also work with people that he knows
    are directly opposed to the First Order's ideals.
    At the end of the day Finn's defection is a plot point in TFA and is probably going to be explored more in the sequels.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ok. The negativity is messing with my Zen thing man.

cerealbox likes this.
  14. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    There are quite a few people in here who have absolutely been posting some really good stuff about why Finn is great and why the movie works for his character. I'm not even going to mention specific posters or specific examples, because that much should be obvious for anyone who's been reading in here. Those people have been trying already to provide a counter to all the negativity. So no, the thread does not seem a certain way due to one "side" not trying. The thread IS a certain way despite those admirable efforts.

15. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    The issue is some wanted that scene substituted for some Finn introspective and I'm saying even the rathtar scene served a purpose even if it wasn't very good. So where exactly would this Finn scene be forced into the movie?

16. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    I honestly think the problem for some is that Finn has one too many of these kinds of scenes. Just put the fish out of water stuff aside for a sec , the convincing himself he can do this while breaking out Poe is alright as anyone would be nervous literally turning their back on everything they've ever known with the possibility of being revenge killed being extremely high. You should even give the getting saved stuff a pass as that's just a right of passage in SW. Luke gets saved the entire first two movies with the Deathstar shot being his really only brag about moment until ROTJ rolled around, speaking of which it was Han's turn to be rescued at different points of that film. Things like this don't matter much to me , they build character and make the ones we're meant to follow through the story more endearing to us.

But the fumbling explosives scene as a professional Soldier and playing the antagonism between Finn and Phasma for laughs would be the worst offenders of the unnecessary directions they went with Finn. Drinking from the same mud puddle as a sand pig is reasonable considering you just walked through a Desert, it's genius in comparison to these scenes.

The only thing I don't like about him losing to Nines is simple, if Finn was to never use a Lightsaber again in the trilogy after TFA and maybe move on to more common fare like Vibro Axes etc. wouldn't it have made more sense to have him defeat Nines? and lose to Kylo flat out? Thus highlighting that even though you may be a skilled melee combatant by Stormtrooper standards , you're no match for the force users. But instead we had Finn get wrecked by his peer , then go on to improve against his worst nightmare..but still lose?

I don't know , I feel like there's development to be had there as well otherwise why even bother wasting time on it? We can't dig deep into the intricacies of his conscience behind what made him defect and refuse to kill, his most substantial arc in the current narrative, yet we spend copious amounts of time on Maz encouraging Finn to fight with a Jedi's weapon and him failing and failing with it again despite the improvement? and we're just supposed to forget all of these moments moving forward?

afrojedi, Sgt. Carver and JediAce1 like this.
  17. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    For Kasdan and JJ the answer is yes since they wrote TFA as a standalone, they probably weren't thinking about that aspect of Finn going forward. The question is, will Rian and Colin follow through.

Han Drolo likes this.
  18. Han Drolo

Aug 9, 2014
    Hell of a standalone to leave one of the main characters in a coma with said fate up in the air....

Literal definition of Fin. :p lil joke for you fellow film nerds out there.

Either way I'm not buying it bro, the scene before Luke's big final scene is of Rey telling an unconscious Finn that they'll see eachother again. [face_dunno]

AllEyezOnTheDarkSide likes this.
  19. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    So basically what you're saying is the issues some people have with Finn are ridiculous and we all should shut up because the script was perfect and Finn's characterization was perfect without any flaws.

Am I correct?

Darth Zero likes this.
  20. Han Drolo

Aug 9, 2014
    Of course it had flaws Ace, life is one big flaw that we try to weave through , but I think we need to find more constructive ways to critique then this them vs us mentality it's digressed to. It's really just unnecessary all around and I'm not suggesting that people with your POV are the only ones that do it.

Both sides need to see the merits of the opinions and good points that have been made.

21. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    I don't see it as a them vs us mentality at all. I've liked debating stuff like this, but I don't like how some people feel we should only say positive stuff about the character.

22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    No. If you want more substance than that answer to your question, go back and re-read what I and others have been saying. This thread needs to get back on track.

23. Han Drolo

Aug 9, 2014
    So Finn may have his own little Howling Commando unit the next time we see him if MSW is on the money with their interpretation of what they're hearing.

24. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Now you've got me picturing Kelly Marie Tran wearing a bowler hat.

25. JediAce1

May 8, 2014
    The discussion has always been on topic and on track. When did it become off topic?