main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - December 16, 2016

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by boomx2sjk, Mar 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I do have to agree sadly. Its great, but it does look like something a fan would have come up with.

2. DINVADER

DINVADER Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2000
    This day & age, with a lot of people talented artists at photoshop and what not, and the internet to show off their art to the world, that's why people don't think much of poster art anymore. It's not as rare or unusual. Not that people got as excited over posters and trailers in the 80s or before because there was nothing of communication compares between the properties of studios to the public like there is now. No internet to show off and discuss things then. People act like you just flip a switch to CGI something or photoshop. It's not that simple.

3. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    DINVADER "It's not that simple." Certainly a lot simpler than taking up a brush or pencil. We saw it with the TFA poster, we see it with the R1 Topps cards - someone tarting up photographs and shuffling the elements around. Everything gets a little bit boring when you realise that you are looking at the same few images again and again, the only difference being the 'effects' added to the image and/or it's relationship to other cut'n'pasted and modified images.

Darthmaul208 and cwustudent like this.
  4. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
  5. CloneWarsFan01

CloneWarsFan01 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 1, 2015
    I know people have some concerns over Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, following the scary rumors of the reshoots and change of music composer from Alexandre Desplat to Michael Giachinno. But, here's why I think these reshoots may be necessary, even though I still believe "Rogue One" will still be the war film that the film's crew promises it to be:

- I just think these reshoots had to happen, because as Anthony Breznican of Entertainment Weekly believes, the scathing reception to "Batman V Superman" may have alert and scared some studios. One of them being Disney to make sure that "Rogue One", while they still say it'll be the same movie, is not TOO heavy to the point where it could be depressing and sad. But, if you're going to tell me the biggest complaint of BvS was that it wasn't put together well, that's agreeable, but, you also CAN'T deny there were complaints about Superman being joyless and not smiling or taking any happy-ness in saving people. So, u forget while "Rogue One" is being inspired by "Saving Private Ryan" and "Black Hawk Down", it's not like those other films had no humor, while still being war films, which "Rogue One" will still be as the film's crew have promised. Now, do I think it will be as heavy as "Saving Private Ryan" or "Black Hawk Down"? Probably not, because it'll be the "Star Wars" version of that, which is a little lighter and a bit grander, but it will still a battle story set in the "Star Wars" universe.

- Also, a big criticism of Gareth Edwards "Godzilla" was that it didn't have a DECENT amount of character development, character interactions or humor, which the Star Wars Prequels, as much as I love the Prequels, were also criticized for by other fans: not having the character moments/chemistry/development or humor that the people felt like was all of the above as it may not have been executed well in their minds. Even fans took note that in the Rogue One trailers, the same expression we've seen Felicity Jones make, at least in their opinion, is the same monotone and serious look we've seen in every shot. So, I'm for a gritty and different approach to Star Wars even if it's a little darker. I just don't think, for the sake of the other Star Ware fans, that the classic style of humor of Star Wars should be left out or sucked out of "Rogue One" because that's always important in making Star Wars films. Why? Two reasons. Because the humor helps develop relationships between characters and provides chemistry between the characters. I don't mean slapstick humor like you see in the Marvel movies, as much as I'm a huge MCU fan, like "Avengers 2". I mean some sort of Original Trilogy-Style humor that takes tension away. Maybe K-2SO (Alan Tudyk) is that, but, I think some fans just want a tad bit more, without going overboard. It's just an apprehension some certain fans have after seeing the first "Rogue One" trailer as well as seeing Gareth Edwards's Godzilla and the fact we've been promised a grittier Star Wars as we have crew members from "Saving Private Ryan" and "Black Hawk Down", films of that nature. But, I don't think some fans want it to pull away too far from the Star Wars universe that it loses a little bit of humor here and there. As much as I know some friends of mine here online have issues with "The Force Awakens", say what you will about it, we can't deny JJ Abrams captured that vibe of humor really well with presenting humorous moments between characters. You see it with Han and Finn when Finn can't understand what Chewbacca is saying. And, there are times in tense moments in "Rogue One" where you could add humor, like they did with "The Force Awakens", like when "Star Wars" gets funny when it magnifies the absurdness of the situation. One example, Finn wondering why Han's nodding his head as he tries to come up with a plan to save Rey. Another example is the Rathars sucking on the Millennium Falcon's cockpit as Han tries to figure out why he can't start it up, which is because Unkar Plutt put a fuel pump on it that needs to be taken out, while Finn tries to bandage wounded Chewie as he's raising holy hell on him. Like having tension building, but with funny moments along the way, then it's coming together for the heroes. That is important "Star Wars" DNA, so I hope some fans feel it's not left out of "Rogue One", since it's before "A New Hope", even though I still hope this as different as it promises to be, because that's what some fans want the characters in "Rogue One", especially Jyn Erso, to have. Some personality, some chemistry and some humor, only to not have critics lash out on this like they did with the Star Wars Prequels and also because humor's important as the stakes are always high in "Star Wars", along with big scopes and big storytelling. So, those reasons are why you need to have those beats, which some people felt weren't in the Prequels, not me though.

So, that's why I think it's hopefully necessary for these reshoots on "Rogue One" to happen: to add character moments to make the audience care about the characters, while still making sure Rogue One is a war film. If anyone wants to agree with me or call me out on it, that's fine. Just don't do it disrespectfully. But, is there anyone out there who wants to voice their thoughts on my thoughts? Share away.

BTW, if u don't believe me that Anthony Breznican of Entertainment Weekly said BvS was why Disney may have had some feelings to check on Rogue One, here are the two episodes of two Star Wars podcasts to prove it to you:

1) https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/star-wars-7x7-only-daily-star/id896354638?mt=2&i=371665628

2) https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/rebel-force-radio-star-wars/id593355728?mt=2&i=371767432

6. WereScoundrel

WereScoundrel Jedi Padawan

Sep 29, 2016
    This movie can't get here soooooooon enough!

Aaoooooo!

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Darth Vader! Nice! Also it looks like that TIE pilot has the two stripes on his helmet (only grey) like the First Order Special Forces TIE pilot. Interesting.

AndrewPascoe likes this.
  8. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    I think that's just a reflected light source.

9. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  10. Varinnia

Varinnia Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 15, 2014
    Seen before?

[​IMG]

11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS Rogue One SPOILER TOY Pics! Part 67

12. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    I really hope Moroff gets to do something and not just stand in the corner of the frame looking pretty:

[​IMG]

13. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    We've seen him running, IIRC. Still, I expect him to be the next Bossk.

14. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2016
    On a scale of 1-10, what is the likelihood of the footage shown here being in the actual movie?

15. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I think it's unlikely, maybe 2 or 3. I think they did the same thing a while back for TFA with the kids and light saber ads.

16. Pewbacca

Pewbacca Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 31, 2016
    Probably 0. It definitely looks like a cinematic scene filmed just for the promo. In saying that, it looks like they had access to actual props and costumes that were probably used for the film.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  17. Darth Kronos

Darth Kronos Force Ghost star 6

Jan 2, 2016
    Well, now I just feel stupid. ;-;

18. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    STAR WARS Rogue One SPOILER Card Pics! Part 68

19. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    I doubt it will be in the movie, BUT I hope the cinematography of the battle scenes are the same. It's fast and gritty! Love every shot of the troops in action!

20. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Yeah one if them spoiled/revealed Rey would get the lightsabwr early on before the film was released!

21. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

It won't be. It's actually quite poor. For example, where the hell did that trooper standing firing at the 4 second mark come from? Thin air that's where.

22. Freelancer257

Freelancer257 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 20, 2004
  23. emanswfan

emanswfan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 2, 2016
    So a camel, huh?
    [​IMG]
    JEDIT: On second thought, maybe the camel is just a placeholder for a CGI Dewback.

24. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Oh my dayssssss I hope we see dewbacks in Rogue One. I really want there to be dewbacks now!

emanswfan likes this.
  25. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    I did not know they filmed in Jordan, that's some news at least.