main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Canon "Complete Locations"

Discussion in 'Literature' started by LelalMekha, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    But, I mean, Starkiller Base was destroyed. It's no longer an ongoing plot element. It'd be filling in the gaps more than a "twist".

2. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    Vader and Palpatine (and Han?) are examples of characters who died while still having significantly interesting stories and surprises to come.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    There's more to stories than twists. I was just saying the other day how I appreciate them not just saying in a reference book "Starkiller Base was made on Ilum, which was mined by the Empire by kyber crystals and then found by the First Order" -- even if that's what it ends up being.

Why? There's more value-added in picking up the details and learning these things through storytelling. We're learning about kyber crystals in Rebels, and its associated stories. We'll probably get something about them in Rogue One. There might be something in Empire's End. There might be something in other upcoming stories.

So instead of a line in a reference book somewhere that ties it up together and exhausts all storytelling, we can see bits and pieces of it mentioned -- almost inconsequentially -- in other stories that are being told, and when we put together the details suddenly it's "oh. OH."

That's a lot more fun.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    My only guess would be that, whereas back in the old days people wouldn't confirm something because they assumed Lucas might do something with it eventually or Lucas flat-out told them to hold off, now they won't out of concern that someone else (Rian Johnson, Colin Trevorrow, etc) down the line might have something planned. They might have jotted down a lot of potential ideas for later stories (movies, games, books, comics, etc) and just the ideas alone, even if they never use them, are surrounded by red tape.

Dr. Steve Brule and LelalMekha like this.
  5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Or the difference from the Lucas era is they know exactly what's being planned. If Ilum was hollowed out to mine crystals for the Death Star, and we have a movie all about the Death Star coming in less than three months, it's completely possible that that will be giving us these answers--in a place where, unlike a reference book, even casual fans would see it.

Anyway, I just got back from a scan of my own at B&N and Starkiller has a visible "crystal substructure" within the planet--the thing is positively rife with kyber. That's not absolute proof of anything but it's enough for me. If anything I kind of like the idea that they'd put these details out there for hardcores to piece together but not spell out every little detail, whether it plays into a future story or not. Like Jello said, it's more fun than just checking a box under "confirmed".

Meanwhile, another very important detail I noticed--the giant statue of Maz on her castle was not something she had made herself, but was...wait for it...a gift from an ex-husband.

6. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    This. EXACTLY this.

7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    A good reference book is a form of storytelling. (See: Essential Atlas).

Having a reference book that does nothing except regurgitate what's already known is no different from buying a book of movie stills and captions. It's fine for coffee tables and hardcore collectors, but as far as a 'book' goes, it's rather pointless.

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The book does have the occasional error - in this case, a new error that wasn't in Inside The Worlds of Episode I.

Specifically, the number of moons Naboo has, is given as 1, when AOTC: "disgruntled spice miners on one of the moons of Naboo" : made it clear that there were multiple moons.

9. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Nice catch.

Iron_lord likes this.
  10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I like that the data for planets from The Essential Atlas was reused. Sizes, lengths of years, numbers of moons, etc. Tatooine correctly has 3 moons and not 2 as in Inside The Worlds.

11. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    I don't know what copy of Inside the Worlds you have, but my example - the version from 2004 - has Tatooine with three moons (as does Complete Locations from 2005).

And even if not, The Essential Atlas as a later source wouldn't take precedence over ItW according to the old canon-hierarchy.

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It was the October 2000 issue that erroneously had Tatooine with 2:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Inside_the_Worlds_of_Star_Wars:_Episode_I

It would therefore appear that that was the only one with that error.

Actually, later sources always took precedence over earlier ones - since they could include data that had been introduced in stories sat between the earlier-published reference work, and the later-published reference work.

13. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    It wasn't an error in 2000. Three moons showed up in AOTC, in 2002. ;)

One was natural, the others were captured asteroids.

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Captured asteroids still count if they're large enough - hence every astronomy book I know of mentions Mars's two moons.

15. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Yeah, but my point was they were not "natural" any more than the ISS is one of Earth's moons. ;)

16. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I won't renouce either Rori or Ohma-Dun. [face_not_talking]

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It is about size, not about if it is natural or not.

18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    twss = that's what she said?

20. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    Not true, 1) because ITW is more movie-related than the EA and 2) "data introduced in stories between the earlier-published reference work and the later published reference-work" just shows, that the author writing the in-between story couldn't be bothered to do his research and that the editor was sleeping. Who is the one, who made a mistake here? The original author or the one, whose work overwrote the first author's content? And what will you do, if a third author reverts things to what they were with author 1? By your logic author 2's work has to also be overwritten.

Gamiel likes this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The Atlas was NOT the primary vehicle for storytelling in the Legends EU. It came at the tail end, when most of the storytelling was done, and tied things together in a nice fashion.

If someone had written something like the Atlas in 1991, there wouldn't have been room for an EU because somebody told all the stories already in some guidebook and well, I guess that's it then.

22. FTeik

Nov 7, 2000
    Or it would have forced the authors to come up with new places and new people in new eras and not Tatooine for the umpteenth time. The GFFA certainly is large and old enough for that. ;)

23. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    It's still a form of storytelling, and all the guides - more or less - have had some new information.
    And there was no indication in 2009 that 'most of the storytelling was done'. It didn't limit any of the books that came after it, other than the sense of having a consistent background to the universe.

What, like WEG's Thrawn sourcebooks? 'Sourcebooks' rarely tell stories that interfere with the novels and comics - they complement them if there's an actual interaction between the various forms of media, and in some cases, inspire storytelling (i.e. Stover's "Mindor").

Ultimately it may just boil down to aesthetics, but I don't see the point in spending money on books that provide nothing new to the universe. I'm not specifically referring to Complete Locations - for someone new to Star Wars, or interested in the changes from the Legends version, it sounds like a decent buy.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    CL also has some new information. We're talking about whether SKB should have been fully explained in a reference book a long time ago -- you're moving the goal posts of this conversation. I would agree that a reference book that only tells me what I already know is boring -- but that's a separate convo.

Indeed, the WEG sourcebooks did not, for instance, tell us the full story behind -- say -- the fall of Coruscant, which let the X-wing series do just that. Had the HTTE SB told us everything about the fall of Coruscant, that wouldn't have been possible.

So why are we asking for everything about SKB to have been revealed immediately after TFA came out? And if you're not asking that, then...?

Cool, then you'll like the Propaganda book.

This whole conversation is decidedly bizarre considering this book is literally a reprint of an old book with some changes, of course it's not going to be filled with a bunch of new information. What were you expecting?

edit: Bottom line is the story of SKB is still being told. It is not like the Atlas, where it's just background information. And regardless of reference books containing storytelling, they're not the primary method of storytelling in Star Wars. They're not even secondary or tertiary. If you're using reference books as a crutch to tell the main story, then something's gone terribly wrong.

Story != background lore.

DoubleSith and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  25. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    And I stated that I wasn't referring specifically Complete Locations.
    The problem is this - you seem to be automatically assuming that anything not mentioned is going to explained later... or you're saying that even the possibility that might appear in a story - the 'storytelling possibilities' you referred to - should be off limits. And in the latter case, it's very much a complaint that I've seen come up before with the NEU. If it's the former, I guess we'll see.

"Everything" is a broad statement. There is always room for new stories - Wedge's Gamble didn't prevent Force Commander or Galactic Battlegrounds from telling their own stories. And the time-honored tradition of 'retcons' still holds true.

Look, Jello, if you're just talking very specifically about Starkiller Base, or even just the CL book itself, I've got no horse in that race. I'm talking about the generalized statement about avoiding making any sort of commitments in reference material to allow 'total freedom' for storytelling, which in my mind leads to reference material that isn't worth getting. Complete Locations is a different animal altogether - it's a recycled Legends book with the same artwork. It's not an actual NEU reference that completely new.

Because I'm looking forward to Rogue One, I'll give them a chance with the (presumable) releases of related source material. But I'm not interested in reference books that don't actually have anything new to say about the universe.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.